Horns with Daniel Radcliffe Is Beautifully Strange

Horns with Daniel Radcliffe Is Beautifully Strange

So long as you don't go to the theater expecting Harry Potter, Horns is a great horror flick.

Read Full Article

Sounds interesting - the basic premise reminds me slightly of the Mervyn Peake book "Mr Pye". And the word 'nuanced' in conjunction with Daniel Radcliffe is also a pleasant surprise!

Looks cool enough, although I hoped they would make some twist with Temple's character, as that trope, beyond just being stale, seems rather underwhelming considering the outlandishness of the rest of this film.

On another note, it'll be interesting to see how many parents take their kids to see this movie, thinking it's going to be another Harry Potter. Also amusing to ponder whether it'll be scared kids or scared parents running out of the film, haha!

I'm in, just because fantasy horror is my shit. Also, I love me some Dan Rad.

o.O

Well that was unexpected. And it's _sooo_ close to Preacher in tone. (what ever happened to the Seth Rogan take on that - still under development?)

Still, I can dig this.

I remember liking the book, and being bummed that the film wasn't playing nearby.

As for Merrin, I'd be interested to see the movie to compare her character there to the book. In there, the story was told from Ig's POV, and after a while you could see the pedestal he had put her on, and his frantic work to keep her up there despite her very human flaws.

It's always interesting to see a first-person work adapted for movies, which inherently gives the audience a bit of omniscient distance.

Hmmm.. from the trailer I didn't know about him being able to give people suggestions, or him later embracing his new dark side. This movie just got a lot more interesting to me.

Thunderous Cacophony:
I remember liking the book, and being bummed that the film wasn't playing nearby.

As for Merrin, I'd be interested to see the movie to compare her character there to the book. In there, the story was told from Ig's POV, and after a while you could see the pedestal he had put her on, and his frantic work to keep her up there despite her very human flaws.

It's always interesting to see a first-person work adapted for movies, which inherently gives the audience a bit of omniscient distance.

Without seeing the film or reading the book obviously I can't be sure but it seems to be the same problem that can be aimed at 500 Days Of Summer And Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind. Where the near perfect, shallow depiction of the female lead is supposed to be because of the skewed perspective of the male lead who is in love with her but could probably do with a bit more time dedicated to actually showing that there is more to the character than just what we're seeing through the lead's eyes.

Definitely going to be checking this one out purely for having such an interesting premise.

Sounds like a really interesting, unique flick - especially since I'm not at all offended by or even remotely sensitive to the "trope" identified by the reviewer.

I'm not going to spoil it but a word on Daniel Radcliffe

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here