The Walking Dead Season 5: The End Of Plot-Required Stupidity?

The Walking Dead Season 5: The End Of Plot-Required Stupidity?

Season 5 of The Walking Dead kicks off with "No Sanctuary", an uncharacteristically good episode that sees our heroes operating with a minimum of plot-required stupidity.

Read Full Article

The baby's name is Judith, not Lizzie. Bob is a former combat medic as well as an alcoholic. And Beth wasn't kidnapped, she just left Darryl behind and drove away when the herd attacked them.

paudeline:
The baby's name is Judith, not Lizzie.

Man, I was hoping to be first with this.

Yeah wasn't Lizzie the one that Carol had to blow away in the second half of Season 4 for killing her sister?

Laughing Man:
Yeah wasn't Lizzie the one that Carol had to blow away in the second half of Season 4 for killing her sister?

YEP, sorry, i had a section about Lizzie that I cut for length. Editing snafu and I am fixing it now. One of those dumb dumb moves that ends up getting replicated as you proofread. Sorry about that and thanks for pointing it out. it's fixed now.

I was being flippant about Bob. Wikipedia links were provided of course, in hopes maybe the tongue in cheekness would be recognized.

paudeline:
The baby's name is Judith, not Lizzie. Bob is a former combat medic as well as an alcoholic. And Beth wasn't kidnapped, she just left Darryl behind and drove away when the herd attacked them.

The last thing we saw after she disappeared was a mysterious car with a cross on it driving off. I'm pretty sure she was kidnapped. Unless they had that car before and also the hints that someone was out there were just blather.

Dr. Mullet's jargon-filled deflection was pretty funny, in an eye-rollingly bad way. I don't see how anybody could believe the crap he's pulling out of his ass. It was nice to see the group acting a little more seasoned, quickly assessing and reacting to events. Carol was full blown badass sowing chaos and infiltrating the compound. Great episode overall, and the best one in recent memory (I don't really catch reruns). This season is off to a good start.

Spaceman Spiff:
Dr. Mullet's jargon-filled deflection was pretty funny, in an eye-rollingly bad way. I don't see how anybody could believe the crap he's pulling out of his ass. It was nice to see the group acting a little more seasoned, quickly assessing and reacting to events. Carol was full blown badass sowing chaos and infiltrating the compound. Great episode overall, and the best one in recent memory (I don't really catch reruns). This season is off to a good start.

Agree, and I kind of love how much Porter and Abraham are pretty much ripped out of the comics. And also how Porter is basically Kenny Powers.

Gotta say, Season 5 opened quite well. The reincorporation of rational thought was a nice addition. From S2E1 beyond, I have to use the headcanon that almost none of them had passed elementary school because there are some things they do that are just unreasonably stupid and because they pretty much never used anything they learned ever again. I mean fucking medieval people had more sense than them. Hey, Rick, dig a fucking moat around the prison. That'll stop the walkers, as evidenced by Woodbury's success with them, and it would've stopped the fucking tank from rolling into the prison yard. Everything of significance in the first half of Season 4 (except maybe Lizzie) could've been easily prevented by putting on a 24-hour watch and digging a big fucking hole around the prison while you had people guard those digging. Granted, its good to see that the carryover from Season 2 of ignoring everything that they had previously learned[1] is likely to be missing from Season 5. Finally. Granted, it wasn't that bad in Season 3, except for maybe them being absolute idiots and not clearing out the prison at a safe pace.

Also, Carol kicked ass, holy shit. Make her the leader of the group already.

[1] It exists because if anybody remembered what happened at the CDC, they wouldn't have been able to pad Season 2 by a few hours by going "They're sick, not dead", "No, they're dead!". It would've gone "Hey Herschel, we just came from the CDC, they're fucking dead. Brain matter gone, nothing left of them. No hope for a cure, so kill them all." Herschel probably would've responded reasonably because he's a fucking doctor and generally pretty reasonable. Because they were working on a very limited budget, they had to pad out Season 2 with those shot, reverse shot, shot takes where people disagree with each other over something without actually making any points supporting either of their ideas that they've already stated a few times.

I really enjoyed this episode. I think Carol in this episode was more bad-ass than any other character in any other episode. By the way, it's Tyreese, not Tyrese. That annoyed me a bit.

Oh, uh, one error in the article I just noticed. Tara didn't get in with the Governor, her sister, Lilly, did. Tara's a lesbian, and she didn't actually hurt anybody in the confrontation. She got shellshocked and wandered off to hide until the fighting died down. Lilly, who was the one in the relationship with the Governor and the one who capped him, is still off in who knows where. She'll probably turn up again.

Also, "after many months apart"? It seems like maybe two weeks at the most (my money is on about five days) between S4E8 and S4E16, and seeing as they were unlikely to be feeding the crew and Judith needs baby formula, the time skip between S4E16 and S5E1 couldn't have been more than a few days. I'm not looking at any official timeline or anything, just extrapolating it logically.

"Rick, as it turns out, had a makeshift wooden knife in his boot which he uses to cut himself free. He quickly murders both men, then frees his friends."
"They were right to be wary, somewhat paranoid and ruthless in protecting themselves once threats became clear, but they were wrong in that they decided they had moral carte blanche to simply kill anyone they want"

You misused the words kill and murder in these two sentences. In the first sentence two men were going to murder Rick and his friends so he killed them. That pretty much sums up the different meaning of the two words. The second sentence could arguably be kill in it's context as what they are trying to convince themselves they are doing - as apposed to murder, but as they are murdering people and not killing them murder would still be the correct form as the sentence is not from their actual personal perspective.

Why is there an assumption, or downright assertion, that Tyrese hasn't killed anything at all? He's killed his fair share of zombies prior to the mid season 4 climax. In the episode, he said it's still too soon for him, not that he couldn't do it. It's obvious what happened back with him and Carol near the end of Season 4 shook him up pretty bad.

They did do ONE hugely stupid thing...
They left without taking ALL THOSE DAMN SUPPLIES.

I mean, COME ON!

They have LOADS of ammo and body armor and other shit, but they leave it?
O_o

Tanis:
They did do ONE hugely stupid thing...
They left without taking ALL THOSE DAMN SUPPLIES.

I mean, COME ON!

They have LOADS of ammo and body armor and other shit, but they leave it?
O_o

Well, the place was up in flames, filled to the brim with Walkers, and there were still some survivors that were possibly armed and definitely dangerous. I would say it wouldn't really be worth the risk to go and get the supplies.

Also, keep in mind that it was only Carol that discovered the stash, and not Rick's group. And even though she was pretty badass in this episode, I highly doubt she would've been able to carry all of those supplies by herself >.>

I don't think I want to see another major villain. The Governor was great, but I don't know if it is going to really make sense if we have a new super villain every season. It will end up falling into a pattern of 'set up bad guy. bad guy kidnaps one of the group. group rescues person. rick kills bad guy'

MarsAtlas:
Oh, uh, one error in the article I just noticed. Tara didn't get in with the Governor, her sister, Lilly, did. Tara's a lesbian, and she didn't actually hurt anybody in the confrontation. She got shellshocked and wandered off to hide until the fighting died down. Lilly, who was the one in the relationship with the Governor and the one who capped him, is still off in who knows where. She'll probably turn up again.

The expression "fall in with" means to become allied/friends. It does not mean sexy times.

SilverHunter:
Why is there an assumption, or downright assertion, that Tyrese hasn't killed anything at all? He's killed his fair share of zombies prior to the mid season 4 climax. In the episode, he said it's still too soon for him, not that he couldn't do it. It's obvious what happened back with him and Carol near the end of Season 4 shook him up pretty bad.

The only assumption is what I said. At the time of this episode and the period just before, Tyrese is having a breakdown and isn't able to be violent. I did not say he has always been that way.

Did Tyreese kill that guy? That was left up to interpretation I thought... my impression was he didn't as the instant Carol went to go deal with Ballcap Cannibal, Tyreese assured her he was KIA. My thinking "If he really is, KIA, why stop her from checking?"

I'll admit, the opener was better than most, but I'm getting sick of all these people being psychopaths just to be psychopaths. I mean seriously; you have one bad day and go 'welp, guess it's time to eat people'.

Still, I'd rate the group at a 7/10 on the 'dumbass' scale where they were a solid 10/10 at season 2. They're still massive idiots, but things are improving slightly.

the only strangely stupid moment I recall was Carol leaving ballcap cannibal alive in the same room with Tyreese and Judith while she went off to kick ass.

Considering she instantly saw through his bullshit with no problems, she had to have known it would be nothing but risk to keep him alive, and unlike Tyreese, who has a big chunk of his characterization tied to maintaining his humanity, Carol is the type who isn't afraid to kill if it becomes necessary.

other than that, solid episode. I appreciate attempts to make the terminus group seem more human, but when you have people nonchalantly slaughtering and eating other people, that's a battle you really can't win. XD I don't usually have any bloodlust-type emotions tied to on-screen battles, but I really wanted the terminus group to suffer.

senordesol:
Did Tyreese kill that guy? That was left up to interpretation I thought... my impression was he didn't as the instant Carol went to go deal with Ballcap Cannibal, Tyreese assured her he was KIA. My thinking "If he really is, KIA, why stop her from checking?"

I also got the feeling he didn't. There wasn't much reason for him to stop Carol from checking the cabin otherwise. I think we'll be seeing baseball cap guy again.

Heh I thought Dr Redneck was full of shit from the off. I just don't believe a high level scientist like he's pretending to be would have a mullet.

MarsAtlas:
Gotta say, Season 5 opened quite well. The reincorporation of rational thought was a nice addition. From S2E1 beyond, I have to use the headcanon that almost none of them had passed elementary school because there are some things they do that are just unreasonably stupid and because they pretty much never used anything they learned ever again. I mean fucking medieval people had more sense than them. Hey, Rick, dig a fucking moat around the prison. That'll stop the walkers, as evidenced by Woodbury's success with them, and it would've stopped the fucking tank from rolling into the prison yard. Everything of significance in the first half of Season 4 (except maybe Lizzie) could've been easily prevented by putting on a 24-hour watch and digging a big fucking hole around the prison while you had people guard those digging. Granted, its good to see that the carryover from Season 2 of ignoring everything that they had previously learned[1] is likely to be missing from Season 5. Finally. Granted, it wasn't that bad in Season 3, except for maybe them being absolute idiots and not clearing out the prison at a safe pace.

Also, Carol kicked ass, holy shit. Make her the leader of the group already.

Please make more of these. I'd love to read something like this after each episode (maybe a general assessment of each season first?)

It was a good episode and while it was cool seeing Carol going Rambo (especially at the start she was a victim of abuse) I did thought that rocket firing was way too convient that it hit onto the target spot on!

Also was anyone else was disturb by the human carcass being hung up like a cow carcass?

"episode that sees our heroes operating with a minimum of plot-required stupidity."

That is true, but it had shitloads upon shitloads of MASSIVE plotcontrivances/ plot convenience...
And omg, those infinite ammo AK-47's... sighhhhhhhhhh!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here