No Right Answer: Which Show Needs to Die?

Which Show Needs to Die?

It's our completely original, not stolen at all idea of Smocktober! So put on your smocks and let's talk about death...of long-running TV series!

Watch Video

I dont think the Simpsons needs to die, the problem with the Simpsons is that it changed for something less interesting (you know the list, a lot more guest stars, episodes based around very current events or trends, etc...) so to fix it all there needs to be done is to change it back to the style that once was or to something new (I dont know, make a season with a story arc covering that entire season). I still enjoy the Simpsons and I do still believe there is a lot that can be done with the characters.

SNL can recover, but what good will it do? If they went entirely digital tomorrow- if they stopped broadcasting on cable on a weekly schedule, and instead made all their sketches little clips on Youtube- they would stand a chance of staying relevant. As it is, I don;t know anyone who still bothers to stay up and watch the show when all they have to do is wait until the next morning and check Facebook to see if any of last night's content is good enough to be shared.

SNL is like the guy who builds a house using only manual tools; there's nothing inherently wrong with it, but you want to shake them and show them there are much better ways of doing it, ways that are faster and cheaper and let them do more of what they love.

Oh dear lord... Titus! You have Titus on DVD! It's the greatest show ever! It still kills me that it was cancelled after only 3 brilliant seasons.

OT: I, uh, wouldn't know to be honest, I don't really watch any of them. I am thinking of getting all seasons of The Simpsons though and watch them.

How about.....any reality show ever? Yeah. I'd like those shows to die.

I think what would help SNL is cutting the show from 90 minutes to 60. An hour long show minus commercials is only about 42 minutes. The opening skit, monologue, weekend update and two songs from the musical guest would take at least 15-20 minutes of that, leaving around 20-25 minutes for other skits. I remember some of the bad years, where episodes would have a few good skits but also a lot of bad filler skits just to take up time. This would allow the show to concentrate on the better ideas and not have to stretch things out as much.

I think bringing up the Simpsons is a bit of a moot point - it's already about to end. I can totally see the relevance for it but come on, there had to be more than two shows on American TV that were ready to die.

But that's the problem with sitcoms. They overstay their welcome, that's what they do. Seinfeld, Big Bang Theory, Ramond, Simpsons, Modern Family, How I met Your Mother, Friends, the list goes on.

I feel like it's because they're comedies, and comedy is the problem. Comedy is fine, but it needs to be grafted on to something. The worst sitcoms are ones where characters exist solely to serve the jokes. Where premises are made to suit a punchline or joke. I feel like most people enjoy shows where characters grow and develop, and on the way funny stuff happens. Most people want shows with substance, and I don't think shows like Big Bang theory can provide that. Because when you make a premise revolving around Sheldon being neurotic because X and the others have to deal with it, well, nothing is happening. It's just stagnation, nothing comes full circle, characters don't learn anything or change, and it can just go on forever.

Maybe it's just me, but things based solely around comedy or satire alone can't hold my interest.

Trucken:
Oh dear lord... Titus! You have Titus on DVD! It's the greatest show ever! It still kills me that it was cancelled after only 3 brilliant seasons.

OT: I, uh, wouldn't know to be honest, I don't really watch any of them. I am thinking of getting all seasons of The Simpsons though and watch them.

I've been to a couple of his stand-up shows, and he incorporated that into his jokes. "I survived 3 seasons on the FOX Network, so nothing scares me!" One of the funniest TV shows I've ever seen. Made my Tuesday nights.

tzimize:
How about.....any reality show ever? Yeah. I'd like those shows to die.

That's what we all want. We just have to send the message to their networks by not tuning in when they're on. That's why I almost never watch MTV anymore.

ExileNZ:
I think bringing up the Simpsons is a bit of a moot point - it's already about to end. I can totally see the relevance for it but come on, there had to be more than two shows on American TV that were ready to die.

Family Guy, but that would have been too easy.

I stopped caring about The Simpsons YEARS ago. And I never really cared about SNL, although I did like it when Will Ferrel did the Jeopardy thing.

I would've gone with WWE Raw, but then again that company has been a zombie since it bought its competition back in 2001.

Now I want to know if there will be a Spocktober.

The Simpsons ended for me when Marge raped Homer. It was just too beyond her character.

Nurb:
The Simpsons ended for me when Marge raped Homer. It was just too beyond her character.

WTF can you elaborate

Simpsons doesn't need to die. Yes, it's getting old, but the problem is its getting old and still trying to do all the things it did when it was younger. What it needs to do is start maturing and growing up. By that, I mean have Bart finally get to his high school years. Have Lisa eventually go to college. Let Maggie speak at some point. Evolve and grow the characters.

SNL... yeah, no, I'm fine with that dying because it really hasn't been funny in a while and so many other outlets (all the ones you mentioned) do what SNL did/does, but SO MUCH BETTER. Simspsons really only has one show competing for what it does but I don't think that's enough reason to remove it.

Now if you killed off Simspsons for a permanent Futurama Spot... I wouldn't say that's a bad idea. That's actually a great idea... it'll just never happen. And we should all just acknowledge that fact right now.

popa_qwerty:

Nurb:

WTF can you elaborate

Marge was mugged, she became an introvert, she bulked up on excercise equipment, competed in body-building, and one night homer didn't want sex because of how rough she's gotten, but she didn't give him a choice. It was played for laughs.

Huh. Didn't the Simpsons end about 10 years ago? I remember hearing reports about a finale, and I had no idea it was still alive all this time. It must be really bad show when no one talks about it and you think it doesn't exist. "Hey did you guys see the Simpsons ep last night?" How many times do you hear that?

The cartoon that needs to end is South Park, which has been embarrassingly bad for what, the last 10 years? But I think they're resigned to the fact it's a profitable show and they can churn out any story and as long as it's obnoxious then people will watch it.

That whole statement about weekend update "look a monkey" and cut to a picture of 2 black men (Keenan Thompson and Jay Pharoh)... Not that I care about these types of things it's just that I really like SNL and I was looking for something to bitch about.

Saturday Night Live may be flawed by design but it is in my opinion the best star machine we have. Just look at the Kristen Wiigs, Bill Haders, and Jimmy Fallon's of the world, just to name some of the recent alumni. Much better than the Disney Cookie cut out pop stars. On SNL you are put to test on live television every week, it's a big deal for a kid getting his first real shot or to the actor/actress having to step outside their comfort zone.

Say what you will about Lorne Michaels, but I always enjoy his product. SNL often has at the very least an interesting host, and once in a while someone that genuinely interests you. You know what really grinds my gears though, to state that the musical guest is unnecessary or that nobody even cares just shocks me. That is unless you have no interest in music or a very narrow view of what is good. I don't always enjoy what I see, but I am guaranteed a unique live performance. Sometimes I'm disappointed, mostly I just get what I expected, but once in a while or a season I am completely blown away.

Sorry I feel I am starting to get on a rant, It's just that I love this show... I don't always like it, but I am over the moon with what it can stand for.

Disagree with The Simpsons

I stopped caring about The Simpsons a long time ago (mainly because I haven't had tv for over a decade). That said...when I do catch one of the newer generation episodes I enjoy them. I tend to enjoy them more than most animated shows new or old. The show is clearly passed it's prime but it's still good stuff.

I'll still take The Simpsons over shows like Futurama, Cleaveland Show, American Dad, Southpark, & Family Guy any day of the week (for all I know all those shows are canceled but I'll assume some are still going). I LOVE some of the newer shows like Archer and Bob's Burgers (thanks netflix) but I still feel that The Simpsons has a place.

I'd like to think that a new generation of viewers have become Simpsons fans because clearly most of my generation who grew up with the show from the beginning has moved on.

Archer. The writers have either been replaced or realized they had a big enough following that they didn't have to try anymore.

Bzzt! I'm sorry, the correct answer is Family Guy.

The glory days of SNL ended when intellectual humor stopped being featured on TV. "Jane, you ignorant slut."

As someone who was into The Simpsons from the get go (well, I never saw the Tracey Ullman shorts but I started with season 1) I've long since lost interest in what it's become. It's like a tame version of Family Guy but with very little self awareness.

The first eight or so seasons had really good humour and great stories. There were a few wacky episodes but they were juxtaposed against the majority which were fairly down to earth. Then enter the Mike Scully era (seasons 9-12). The man who receives most of the blame for The Simpsons decline in quality. I actually liked his seasons. The stories got really silly but I still found the show to be very funny (although the style of humour did change quite a bit). I still got a few laughs from the maybe two or three seasons after that but since then I've found the show to be pretty bad. Humour is lacklustre, stories are boring, characterisation is terrible. I think it should've died a long time ago.

As for SNL, meh. Even in its prime I was never into it.

babinro:
Disagree with The Simpsons

I stopped caring about The Simpsons a long time ago (mainly because I haven't had tv for over a decade). That said...when I do catch one of the newer generation episodes I enjoy them. I tend to enjoy them more than most animated shows new or old. The show is clearly passed it's prime but it's still good stuff.

I'll still take The Simpsons over shows like Futurama, Cleaveland Show, American Dad, Southpark, & Family Guy any day of the week (for all I know all those shows are canceled but I'll assume some are still going). I LOVE some of the newer shows like Archer and Bob's Burgers (thanks netflix) but I still feel that The Simpsons has a place.

I'd like to think that a new generation of viewers have become Simpsons fans because clearly most of my generation who grew up with the show from the beginning has moved on.

I couldn't agree more with you. Some of the episodes scattered around The Simpsons newer seasons are really good! "The Squirt and the Whale", "Holidays of Future Passed" and "A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again" all have that certain emotional core that the early seasons had. Episodes like these are proof that The Simpsons still has 'it', even if it isn't as consistent as it once was.

Only bad shows deserve to die...and I don't really consider The Simpsons or even recent SNL to be bad. I mean, they've lost some luster over the years, but they're not horrible.

What shows do deserve to die? TMZ and that stupid Naked Survivor show.

Nurb:

popa_qwerty:

Nurb:

WTF can you elaborate

Marge was mugged, she became an introvert, she bulked up on excercise equipment, competed in body-building, and one night homer didn't want sex because of how rough she's gotten, but she didn't give him a choice. It was played for laughs.

Oh my glob! I thought I forgot all about that particular episode... >.> (At least it's wasn't as "bad" as when Family Guy did that one Simpsons rape joke, but still...)

OT: Both shows don't really need to die, per se, but just change it up a bit almost to the point of being out of their comfort zone, I think... SNL just needs to utilize the internet a lot more (almost to the level of Funny Or Die, I guess) and The Simpsons should really utilize their future timeline/longer arc-based storylines, I guess... Other than that, they are still good when they do nail it, but when they don't, it's really obvious and/or cringe worthy to the point of...

Nurb:

popa_qwerty:

Nurb:

WTF can you elaborate

Marge was mugged, she became an introvert, she bulked up on excercise equipment, competed in body-building, and one night homer didn't want sex because of how rough she's gotten, but she didn't give him a choice. It was played for laughs

I just watched that episode the other day so I should remember, but wasn't she already on the roids when she did that? Not saying that makes it okay, just that it kinda doesn't aid the "out of character" argument when someone is roid raging.

Besides, that wasn't nearly as bad as when he got raped by the Panda. I know the term gets thrown around a lot, but Homer vs. Dignity really was the worst episode ever in a time when quite a few fans still considered the show to be pretty good. I still just skip that episode when it comes up on my DVD. That and the one with the Screamapillar.

Trucken:

I love Titus to death, I own all three seasons on DVD, but Season 3 was pretty bad. I wasn't surprised when it got cancelled. It seriously upset me how bad that show got in season 3.

Anyway, my vote for this episode probably goes to Big Bang Theory. I mean that show is what...7, 8 years old now? How many years can "Hey look, nerds that are awkward around "normal" people!" remain funny? I would have gone with Two and a Half Men, but I've been recently informed that show IS actually ending.

...What is it with Chuck Lorre shows lasting way longer than they should?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here