Port Authority

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Port Authority

More like master race to the forums to hunt for bugfixes.

Read Full Article

Eh, the last panel works better if you imagine Statler and Waldorf saying it.

You could have slapped an Ubisoft picture up with terrible PC ports.

No Ubisoft tag?

Well I like FF13 so Fuuuuuuuck you. Yes the escape this is fucking retarded.

FF13 does what???

Bugger that for a game of soldiers.

I like FFXIII too but I also have a sense of humor and the "ESC takes me to desktop" came as a shock the first time I discovered it....so yes, funny, and well played.

Crappy PC ports you say.. well... what else can you expect. Devs and publishers hate PC gamers... we're more critical.

We are less likely to pay an over inflated price for a game and just patiently wait until it's marked down.

Eh, I'm not sure that it's neccesarily about some conspiracy from these companies to "keep those pesky pc gamers down", I think it's more about ineptitude or disinterest in porting games to the pc, instead of playing it safe and just sticking to consoles. I may not be any sort of expert when it comes to these sort of things, but even I understand that the pc market is a very different beast compared to the console market and that can be pretty intimidating for developers or publishers.

Halla Burrica:
Eh, I'm not sure that it's neccesarily about some conspiracy from these companies to "keep those pesky pc gamers down", I think it's more about ineptitude or disinterest in porting games to the pc, instead of playing it safe and just sticking to consoles. I may not be any sort of expert when it comes to these sort of things, but even I understand that the pc market is a very different beast compared to the console market and that can be pretty intimidating for developers or publishers.

It's all about the bottom line and control. Big publishers like consoles because the hardware only changes each generation, they have more control over content, they can sell you season passes, there's less piracy. It's also a smaller market so they don't have to compete with indies.

I remember that Yahtzee wrote an article about horror games looking shitty being inherent to their scaryness, something to keep in mind, as different versions of a game can deviate from what the developers designed it to do.

"You'd hope developers would learn a trick or two"
well, not unless some "people" are paying them not to learn......
"cough""cough" MICROSOFT AND SONY "cough""cough"

Dead Rising and FFXIII are from Japanese developers who do not have a PC culture, not that that excuse their shitty ports.

Not sure about Evil Within and I'm too lazy to google it. :P

A QTD is actually a nice feature in any game, but it shouldn't be bound to a single button, without confirmation or autosaves.

And I guess Consoles keep graphic requirements from inflating as they prioritize clever coding over raw power. Just look at what an unoptimized mess Crysis 1 was.

Just trying to see it positive, that's all.

To be honest, we're super forgetful. Start of the 6th generation, we'd find it lucky to find a game that ran on half the systems supposed to run it.
Start of 7th generation, Resident Evil 4, Dynasty Warriors 6 ect. Aside from a few amazing ones, the standard was not a whole lot higher then those games.

The fact we have graphics settings shows how massively improved games have gotten for PC gamers. Start of 6th generation, you'd be lucky it worked on anything. Before 5th generation, compatibility was so bad, Mac gaming was most popular due to the restrictive environment allowing easier porting.

Really that's likely the reason they care little about gamers: We are forgetful motherfuckers.

Piorn:
A QTD is actually a nice feature in any game, but it shouldn't be bound to a single button, without confirmation or autosaves.

And I guess Consoles keep graphic requirements from inflating as they prioritize clever coding over raw power. Just look at what an unoptimized mess Crysis 1 was.

Just trying to see it positive, that's all.

Unoptimized? That game far out matched anything at the time. It still holds up today despite realistic graphics age worse then every other art style because how insanely ahead of anything else it was. It was not supposed to run on max settings at 60 FPS on current hardware, and it didn't for like two years. It was a too heavy game, not unoptimized. When they brought out the DirectX 11 patch is when it got unoptimized, because the new features ran like shit.

Still, being able to run all games at the time for 7 years is a hell of a lot better then causing what console gamers claim and making all games suddenly quadruple the requirements after 2 years, which would totally happen if you took consoles out of the factor.

Ubisoft came to mind for me as well.

It really makes me wonder what experience these developers do actually have that ports have somehow become worse again now that the main consoles are actually more similar to PCs.

I mean, I guess the same thing happened eight years ago to a degree, but seriously, the actual games didn't make a massive leap in how they look or how the game worlds are built or even how they play, so something went wrong elsewhere.

I prefer a QTD button over a game that asks me if I'm sure I want to go to the main menu, then asks me again if I want to quit.

http://bit.ly/1vnsx2P

BigTuk:
We are less likely to pay an over inflated price for a game and just patiently wait until it's marked down.

Where I'm from, goddamn Xbone/PS4 games cost as much as PC collector's editions used to, and the multi platform game PC prices risen about 40%, seriously, what the hell.

Since everything gets DLC'd to bits I'll just lag a year behind and enjoy the games I'll missed the last few years. I'm really not liking how this generation started.

Not to mention that FF13 looks rather awful on PC. And it had such potential to look gorgeous because it's a pretty enough game on consoles already.

"Literal Hitlers" is pretty much become the default rating system for PC releases.

:/ Well that's a whole lot of messed up stuff.

What are they going to do next to mess with the PC version of games? Make you play with a controller? Try to get rid of mods?
Have it be always online even for the single player mode? ...<.< Oh yeah. That's been done already....

I don't play on PC, but it's unfortunate to hear devs aren't taking advantage or at least letting the players take advantage of what you can do on a PC.
Best of luck to PC gamers I guess.

I wouldn't mind a QTD feature in a NSFW game. On the other hand, probably I would be wasting my time in playing at work, instead of commenting on the Escapist's forums.

Everyone freaking out about the escape key in FFXIII... This port has some really serious problems, and the escape key thing is pretty minor next to the performance, resolution, and framerate issues.

P.S. Thanks

Always a good time for a burn on FF XIII. Damn, what a boring game.

An Ceannaire:
Not to mention that FF13 looks rather awful on PC. And it had such potential to look gorgeous because it's a pretty enough game on consoles already.

Check out Durante's fix

For example check out how pretty the game looks downscaled from 4k

I know playing at 4k downsampled onto a 1440p monitor with 60 fps that the game is gorgeous and one of the prettiest i've played. I go wow very often.

taciturnCandid:

An Ceannaire:

Check out Durante's fix

I know playing at 4k downsampled onto a 1440p monitor with 60 fps that the game is gorgeous and one of the prettiest i've played. I go wow very often.

The FF13 games had a lot of problems, but they certainly were gorgeous - and as you have shown, have the potential to look even better.

I have two things to comment on based on those images you linked:

1. Lightning looks noticeably younger in the first game than she does in Lightning Returns even though she shouldn't really have aged that much.

2. She is also suffering from a rather severe case of shiny-face.

You'd think people who self-describe themselves as being members of a "master race" wouldn't complain this much about being bullied by meany console devs.

I never did finish FF13. Did it get any better? Everyone said it did, but I stopped believing them after the angsty father/son bullshit after the boring as shit boss that took me 30mins to kill.

Haru17:
I remember that Yahtzee wrote an article about horror games looking shitty being inherent to their scaryness, something to keep in mind, as different versions of a game can deviate from what the developers designed it to do.

Yahtzee also said that Square-Enix - and I quote - "built an entire company around making things look their worst for many years", so I guess they're just continuing that tradition of excellence that everyone's come to expect. :-P

More to the point, I really don't think that 'artistic direction' can ever excuse the decision to deliberately withhold graphical improvements on PC versions when the console version itself was sold on the strength of its graphics, like WATCH_DOGS, one of the games that this comic is obliquely referencing, was.

VanQ:
I never did finish FF13. Did it get any better? Everyone said it did, but I stopped believing them after the angsty father/son bullshit after the boring as shit boss that took me 30mins to kill.

The gameplay opened up eventually. The story remained stupid.

P.S. Thanks

Imp Emissary:

What are they going to do next to mess with the PC version of games? Make you play with a controller? Try to get rid of mods?

*cough* that's all old news: there's a bunch of games that are unplayable without an official XBox360 controller, specifically. As for the mod issue: compare Sims 2 to Sims 3 to Sims 4.

Mike000:

Imp Emissary:

*cough* that's all old news: there's a bunch of games that are unplayable without an official XBox360 controller, specifically. As for the mod issue: compare Sims 2 to Sims 3 to Sims 4.

<.< Ah. Well crap.

I've heard of games made with a controller in mind over a keyboard, but I didn't know there were some that made you use one without choice.

As for mods, I figured it would be harder for to stop them since they're mostly the work of players. Also didn't see the point in stopping mods. I mean, that's like the best thing about PC games.

Hope the market doesn't support these changes.

Imp Emissary:

The original hitman and darksouls come close to only useing controler, hitman was certainly unplayable without with standard walk and sidesteps tied to (szc) and the mouse was not used to turn.

As for getting rid of mods, GTA did that, due to the hot coffee mod.

An Ceannaire:

taciturnCandid:

An Ceannaire:

Check out Durante's fix

The FF13 games had a lot of problems, but they certainly were gorgeous - and as you have shown, have the potential to look even better.

I have two things to comment on based on those images you linked:

1. Lightning looks noticeably younger in the first game than she does in Lightning Returns even though she shouldn't really have aged that much.

2. She is also suffering from a rather severe case of shiny-face.

Honestly, I'm cool with bad game developing decisions; bad games will exist. However the sheer arrogance of the man behind Lightning and FFXIII's world and story is what turned me into an anti-FFXIII troll today.

I'll add a couple more things about Lightning to your list since I'm such a writing critic:

3. She suffers from apathy too much and expresses very little emotion(Seriously, is this how the Japanese audience see her as a "strong woman character"?)

4. She misses the common, almost vital rule in quality character development...development!

But I give Lightning some credit, she may be Toriyama's "DeviantART OC - don't steal" but she has said one of the most "questionable, yet amusing" lines in a game:

"Destiny is destiny."

But enough of my stupid, mindless rant.

I believe, typically, half-assed ports are simple cash-ins, probably why we don't or rarely see fixes of the actual product's compatibility. FFXIII being ported to PC is just about the same way it was marketed when it was first released for console: relying on brand name for sales, and not for it's quality.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here