Legend of Korra: Korra Goes to Dagobah (Kinda)

Pages PREV 1 2

jamail77:
"Why do you keep watching?" is an argument I'm kind of tired of seeing. Just because someone dislikes something doesn't mean they won't stick around for understandable reasons. I've certainly stuck around with stuff I don't like.

It's not an argument, it's a question.I want to know his reason. I mean if I felt this about a show:

Rastrelly:
I'm getting more and more bored and filled with sadness, and I cannot get all the amounts of praise Korra gets. Seriously. What do you guys see in this series? ATLA was epicly great, but Korra, IMHO, fails at every single aspect...

I would've quit a long time ago, it's the fourth season, why stick around for something that make you sad and bored?

jamail77:
Personally, I'm partial to Tenzin, Varrick, and Wan as favorites for this series, but to each their own.

Aaah Varrick and Tenzin I really like them too. But still Toph and Bolin take the first place. Plus I really want to know how much Bolin got better at Lavabending.

jamail77:
I would argue though that airbending was not a problem for her then either; after all, Toph can see attacks coming via vibrations regardless of whether the moves are rooted to the earth

It's true that Korra is not really using usual airbending tactics compare to Aang it must be easy for Her.

jamail77:
To reiterate, Toph was REALLY strong in ATLA and I didn't see how she could improve much farther. It felt like she had reached a peak of earthbending, hence greatest earthbender in the world though really she might as well have called herself "The Greatest Earthbender Ever".

It's not that she is particularly stronger, her techniques are far more refined no useless movement or too much force applied when not necessary.

Wolyo:

jamail77:
"Why do you keep watching?" is an argument I'm kind of tired of seeing. Just because someone dislikes something doesn't mean they won't stick around for understandable reasons. I've certainly stuck around with stuff I don't like.

I would've quit a long time ago, it's the fourth season, why stick around for something that make you sad and bored?

Wolyo:

Why do you keep watching then?

I click it through diagonally to stay up to date. Also, thanks for your answers, they helped me much.

SilverUchiha:

I want to argue, but I can see some possibility to what you've said. Lines of dialogue from Toph such as "The world doesn't need an Avatar" really hint that things may very well go that way. I REALLY don't want them to because the idea of Avatar as a franchise ending here would be really depressing when there are so many possibilities for future eras in their world. I've love them to get to a sci-fi futuristic world while also having the Avatar. Regardless of how they choose to end it though, I think it will be spectacular as the series has just gotten more interesting since it started. They're learning from previous seasons and constantly improving their craft.

This is a case of we think we know what we want. Believe me I would want more Avatar as well. I don't think that would be the best idea. Especially considering Nick doesn't seem to even care for it themselves with the treatment Korra got. If this ending leaves off on a very satisfactory note that determines the role or existence of the Avatar for the rest of time they shouldn't make anymore. Sometimes Its just better to leave things where they lie. That is why I actually never want Valve to make a Portal 3. The ending to Portal 2 was perfect. There is no need to go back.

jamail77:

While we're on the topic of Toph, did anyone get the feeling Toph was even more skilled/even stronger than she was in ATLA? The way she beat down Korra was so fluid versus the tense, precise, unmovable quality of her usual fighting style. ATLA Toph was never that fluid, partly due to her blindness. To see her so much more flexible in her fighting makes me think she is better than she was. Plus, she could take the remaining bits of metal out of Korra, something even Su couldn't do who despite being criticized by Toph for not being that good is still probably 1 of the best metalbenders around solely because she was trained by the creator of metalbending. In ATLA, Toph couldn't bend metal unless she was directly touching it even though she vastly improved by the finale. Now, she can apparently bend metal that is buried under all the complicated nature of skin, bones, bodily fluids. That's a vast difference from her ATLA metalbending. And, she claims she isn't even in her prime anymore! I know just this 1 episode isn't enough to be sure, but if I'm right damn! She was already a really amazing eartbender in ATLA! 0_0

Don't forget that through the swamp vines she can apparently see the entire world (or at least a good chunk of it) through her feet.

Toph too OP.

Wolyo:

jamail77:

It's not an argument, it's a question.I want to know his reason. I mean if I felt this about a show:

Rastrelly:

You're right, it is a question and I should have used that term to describe it. I was thinking of it in terms of how people respond to vehement dislike of what they dislike. People get mad at criticism and say, "Leave if you don't like the show" instead of just taking the criticism into consideration. In fact, it scares people off when they get responses like that. These people who didn't like the show at first, but it might have grown on them like all the fans who hated Books 1 and 2, but loved Book 3 and are glad they stuck around. They get scared off by such reactions. So, in a way it's both a question and an argument, in the sense it is an argument to dissuade critical people from being involved in fandom discussion, but, yes, the way you used it was as a question.

Wolyo:

It's not that she is particularly stronger, her techniques are far more refined no useless movement or too much force applied when not necessary.

You really focus on the semantics, don't you? What I meant is she's just a better fighter now. I didn't mean stronger literally.

undeadsuitor:
Don't forget that through the swamp vines she can apparently see the entire world (or at least a good chunk of it) through her feet.

Toph too OP.

I don't think she meant she could see the whole world through seismic sense. I think she just meant the whole world is connected and you can see it all at once from the swamp if you're spiritually enlightened like she is. She's not using the earthbending vibration sensing power. She's just like this guy from ATLA. He didn't have earthbending senses like that (mostly because he was a...you know, a waterbender), but he claimed to be able to pull off the same thing.

I liked this episode, i loved the return of Toph, and one thing i enjoyed most is that they didn't change her fighting style. I always liked how Toph is...How can i say it...Calculating when fighting? She just need that minimal movement to be awesome. I liked her and Korra and it's interesting how she actually tries to help, but that the problem is that Korra is sabotaging herself and needs to deal with her fears and problems, her issues are in her mind and body, but she needs to achieve balance in mind to do the same with her body.

Now about the politics stuff...Kuvira is Napoleon! Really...Zaheer? He is Robespierre :p

Ok...The Revolution last season was the French Revolution, even the Queen is killed, just like the King and Queen of France at that time, and Zaheer was the face of the revolution, a true believer who have the "greater good" mindset. We could see it, how he was able to harm innocents when necessary, but would protect people that had nothing to do with his planos. And now we have Kuvira, a military type that with a combination of strength of arms, aggressive politics and charisma was able to give order to the population after the Revolution ( it's a kid's show, so it's cool that they skipped the mock trials, looting, killings and raping that followed the Revolution), and obviously most embraced. And after that? She goes and just says to every other leader that she is in charge of the Earth Empire, and if they try to oppose her she will kick their asses. That's basically what Napoleon said and tried to do, so yeah...I don't know if the writers were shooting for that analogy, but anyway, it was bullseye.

Sorry, double post. Please mods, delete this one?

ExDeath730:

Now about the politics stuff...Kuvira is Napoleon! Really...Zaheer? He is Robespierre :p
[snip]
I don't know if the writers were shooting for that analogy, but anyway, it was bullseye.

Nope, it's not the analogy they were going for. Zaheer was actually more representative of what happened to the Qing Dynasty, with Hou-Ting, the Earth Queen he killed, representing Dowager Empress Cixi. The Qing Dynasty was the last imperial dynasty of China before the 1911 Revolution (the anarchy Zaheer caused), which led to the Republic of China.

China had 2 leaders vying for power, 1 more representative of the people promising full blown communism, but very authoritative a la Kuvira while the other was more in line with what the West wanted for China and hence not beloved a la Prince Wu. The creators have also stated that her troops, who we haven't really seen much of yet, are very representative of the Stormtroopers from Star Wars (Ha, to those who thought this episode would be the only Star Wars homage) and that there will be a touch of World War II Germany in there as well (The latter I'm not so sure about actually as I don't think the creators confirmed a Germany influence. It's just what fans think is influencing some of this).

Here is the concept art the creators pulled up at a comic con when they said there'd be Stormtrooper influence: image

jamail77:

ExDeath730:

[snip]
I don't know if the writers were shooting for that analogy, but anyway, it was bullseye.

Nope, it's not the analogy they were going for. Zaheer was actually more representative of what happened to the Qing Dynasty, with Hou-Ting, the Earth Queen he killed, representing Dowager Empress Cixi. The Qing Dynasty was the last imperial dynasty of China before the 1911 Revolution (the anarchy Zaheer caused), which led to the Republic of China.

China had 2 leaders vying for power, 1 more representative of the people promising full blown communism, but very authoritative a la Kuvira while the other was more in line with what the West wanted for China and hence not beloved a la Prince Wu. The creators have also stated that her troops, who we haven't really seen much of yet, are very representative of the Stormtroopers from Star Wars (Ha, to those who thought this episode would be the only Star Wars homage) and that there will be a touch of World War II Germany in there as well (The latter I'm not so sure about actually as I don't think the creators confirmed a Germany influence. It's just what fans think is influencing some of this).

Here is the concept art the creators pulled up at a comic con when they said there'd be Stormtrooper influence: image

Interesting, i guess i didn't thought about Cixi because her death wasn't as violent as Louis XVI who was executed by the Revolution, but seeing in a new light, she was more representative of Cixi in character. About the thing about 2 leaders, that was another thing that made me think about this period in French history. There was Napoleon, who was the military type leader who brought order to the country, and there was the other one, who for the foreign powers was the legitimate King, that was Louis XVIII "The Desired".

Anyway, cool thing about Star Wars there, just now i've noticed the Star Wars style that Kuvira used when declaring her Earth Empire, i hope there is a Death Star somewhere in her arsenal. :p

jamail77:
You're right, it is a question and I should have used that term to describe it. I was thinking of it in terms of how people respond to vehement dislike of what they dislike. People get mad at criticism and say, "Leave if you don't like the show" instead of just taking the criticism into consideration. In fact, it scares people off when they get responses like that. These people who didn't like the show at first, but it might have grown on them like all the fans who hated Books 1 and 2, but loved Book 3 and are glad they stuck around. They get scared off by such reactions. So, in a way it's both a question and an argument, in the sense it is an argument to dissuade critical people from being involved in fandom discussion, but, yes, the way you used it was as a question.

I often forget the lack of facial expression and tone on an internet discussion, so a simple, genuine, question can sometimes be misinterpreted.

jamail77:
You really focus on the semantics, don't you? What I meant is she's just a better fighter now. I didn't mean stronger literally.

Well I have to admit, it can be usefull to bother or tease people online, but it's mostly because I like precision. Plus I was talking about so I got carried away :D

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.