The Vaguely Familiar Evil Within

Tag: Shit and Turkey Sandwich

Wat

What also makes it non-frightening? When the back of the box gives away the twist!

Those tags are looking for trouble.

cpukill:

Wat

It was the topic of one of their earlier(and highly memorable) comics.

The last two panels went over my head, can anyone shed some light please?

Scars Unseen:

cpukill:

Wat

Ah, memories.

OT: Is Erin such a common sight in these games that the monsters just know her on a first name basis? They seem very comfortable around her. :)

Scars Unseen:

cpukill:

Wat

HA! :D Ya got to love the classics.

Except for when it comes to and the Evil Within. At least in my case. It may be a call back to the classics, but from what I heard it's also kind of poorly designed. On purpose or not, it doesn't really matter when making it to the next part of the game seems to hinge on chance.

Plus, I haven't played the classics it's calling back to, so no nostalgia value in it for me anyway. :/

Good comic today though. :)

Honestly, that's the entire reason I'm getting the game. It's not gonna be a scary experience for me, it's just gonna be a wonderful trip down memory lane.

And it's gonna be awesome. Nostalgia goggles, ho!

I've been enjoying it so far. It's not exactly some big revolution in survival horror gaming. Gods no. But it definitely builds off of Mikami's earlier works in a fun way. Maybe it's a bit of a stretch to say so, but it is probably a better Resident Evil game than some of the latest entries in the series.

gamegod25:
What also makes it non-frightening? When the back of the box gives away the twist!

Are you serious? I didn't know that!

It's a decent game, but to be honest, all I could really think of when I was playing it was how much I wanted to play RE4.

Zachary Amaranth:

gamegod25:

Maybe he means the 'The main protagonist was crazy all along' trope? Not that I finished this pile of dung, but it really wouldn't surprise me if it pulled something like that. Other than that I can't see a spoiler on the back of my box, though maybe the non-European box art is vastly different.

OT: You know, I really wouldn't have mind the nostalgia and run-of-the-mill horror if the game itself didn't play like a dead three-legged dog.

OK, that pale with fist-bumping Chainsaw Dude made me smile. Erin seems the type to pet one of the mutated dogs.

So, the game isn't scary then? I called that at the first trailer. Probably a good thing I forgot about it before I wound up buying it anyway.

Casual Shinji:

Zachary Amaranth:

gamegod25:

Maybe he means the 'The main protagonist was crazy all along' trope? Not that I finished this pile of dung, but it really wouldn't surprise me if it pulled something like that. Other than that I can't see a spoiler on the back of my box, though maybe the non-European box art is vastly different.

OT: You know, I really wouldn't have mind the nostalgia and run-of-the-mill horror if the game itself didn't play like a dead three-legged dog.

Well I won't get any more specific just to be safe so not to spoil it for anyone. But even without looking at the box first I had pretty much guessed the twist from the start and then totally called it by the end of chapter three.

gamegod25:

Good that I flipped the sleeve around almost immediately since it's got a pretty stylish alternate cover image of the other side.

Fasckira:
The last two panels went over my head, can anyone shed some light please?

Didn't get that either. Looks like another RE4 reference but I figured it had to mean something else because the premise is that we're going through Mikami's "greatest hits" and not strictly speaking "RE4 rip-offs" (since we already have Dr. Salvador...).

The game lasted for me a solid 15 hours on casual difficulty, While the game lacked in scares it made up with tension, the fact of 5 enemies in a room with you and you have to make a split decision if wasting that bullet in your 3 round only gun is worth the trouble, and the tension of not wanting to get spotted by the monstrous entities in the game.

The game had survival, something missing from the survival horror genre, ammo is limited, healing items are limited and sometimes its better just to hide and flee enemies than it is to even fight them, best part of this? Ammo is almost ineffective if you don't pull it off right, healing items heal you barely a 3rd of your health and so even if you do screw up, you're not going to get a second chance, more like half a chance to turn it around in the last minute.

While the game is also not scary, that doesn't mean it doesn't fit into the generic conventions of what horror is suppose to be, obviously we're not afraid, but Sebastian is definitely feeling the pangs of anxiety and fright through his torment in the game especially because, SPOILER PLOT RELATED INFO AHEAD:

With the generic conventions of horror displayed, that makes it part of the horror genre, just because it's a horror doesn't mean we have to be afraid, but the game itself, its characters are feeling this fear, especially with Joseph and Leslie.

Not only is it good at what it does, the combat may be slow and at times frustrating, but I would rather have it like that, every time I played, every time Sebastian missed a shot, I could understand it, In my head I took it as a sign of Sebastian's weakness, his fear, his anxiety, missing a shot is natural, if you ever shot a gun, you can feel just how missing a shot would be natural in a situation like that, of course, it's combat may slip up at times, that's a negative but no reason to slander the game completely.

Indeed, there is a ton of old Mikami references, some I laughed at, but I didn't laugh to slander it, I laughed because it brought back some really amazing memories of the man. Resident evil one reference at the second chapter had me in stitches from just remembering it, and how it was such a nod to the fans!

It's not a perfect game, but it's a great game, for 35 pounds, 5 less than any normal game on the market, you get 15 hours of tense survival. If you're one of those people who claim there was too much ammo, I beg of you to get the casual stick out of your head and at least try nightmare difficulty, I did it after I beat the game, and so far i've enjoyed so much more of the game, it is absolutely insane, you die so easily, your ammo depletes so fast, it's crazy! If you want survival horror, at least try for it. The game is difficult, it's visual style is pretty simple yet refreshing and even if Sebastian's backstory isn't the most original, it still makes him a great character, maybe not very memorable, but still worth a point or two!

Caramel Frappe:
I admit, i'm a tad worn out of seeing chainsaw enemies in horror games. They're only there to make new players feel tense- while players who're familiar with Resident Evil, and other horror games... are just a bit tired of seeing this generic enemy type.

Least have him use a different kind of chainsaw maybe? Lol.

I'd like to see a flame-thrower enemy (or rather I'd hate to in reality, which is why I think it'd be perfect here). Just hearing the faint hissing of the pilot flame would have a terrifying psychological effect. If it had to be in blade form, something like the Shishkebab would work for me:

If it's a "greatest hits album", then is it better than the games the "hits" come from? I heard - probably from the review here - that Resident Evil 4 is better.

But then again, I'm not sure if this kind of game is for me. Not that it's too scary, but this one may be too hard. I heard RE 4 certainly is brutal.

Erin makes the "stereotypical detective outfit" thing work, really.

I don't want to be "that guy" but...seniorita? for real?

It really isn't that much of a scary game. If anything, I felt as if I were playing a ten year-old's idea of a scary game.

"So there's this hospital, and all the people are, like, dead, and then there's this crazy doctor who likes Classical music because Classical music is totes creepy - but he only ever plays a bit of Vivaldi's Four Seasons! Y'know, the part everyone knows? Yeah! That part, but in a creepy asylum full of dead people, so it's SUPER creepy!

And the monsters, the monsters? They're SUPER scary! They've all twisted people with barbed wire and stuff, and they're basically METAL ZOMBIES because that's just so much better than regular zombies! Also, I just saw the first "Saw" movie with my dad, so they look like they were all tortured and stuff! SUPER CREEPY!

And the main character? Oh man, this is so cool - he has to go in this weird dream hospital where he gets ELECTROSHOCK THERAPY to get upgrades! That's, like, really messed up, and it totally calls back to his dark past, too!

So there's the hospital, but also this spooky village and a weird factory-looking part and, yeah, I guess stuff happens between those bits, yeah, but this is just TOO COOL, GUYS! Seriously, guys!"

- Shinji, Age 12.

Bit of nostalgia, why the hell not. I always liked the earlier Resident Evil games the best. RE4, actually went and bought it again on PSN, but just found myself unable to do it all again with those confounded controls. Only so much stop-to-shoot-aim-with-left-stick a man can take in his life. If anyone knows how to fix this either on PC or PS3, I'll forever be in your gratitude.

So yes, bring it back a bit, lets have the not so scary but panic-inducing horror back from the days of RE4, Dead Space 1 back again. Definitely not going to be another RE1 or 2 (unless you count remakes), or even a Silent Hill 2, so this will suffice. Going to buy it as soon as it comes down in price even a tad, so hoping it will deliver on that front.

Erin looks fucking awesome in a vest.

The evil within: horror tropes doused with BUCKETS OF GORE!!! I like the gameplay and I'd be into it if the setting at all interested me and the difficulty and checkpoint system was less awful.

I gotta say, I am loving Erin in that outfit.

I like the amount of contempt and perceived cleverness in this thread. Almost as enjoyable as the comic itself.

^^^^^
That's just Escapist in general, holmes.

-------------------
The final panel gave me a good chortle. I saw it coming as soon as I read Carlos's speech bubble, but I still laughed anyway. I think it's because I can practically hear the contempt in his brother's dialogue. Fun comic.

The way you've drawn Erin is very expressive. That third frame is a work of high art.

Imp Emissary:

Scars Unseen:

cpukill:

Wat

HA! :D Ya got to love the classics.

Except for when it comes to and the Evil Within. At least in my case. It may be a call back to the classics, but from what I heard it's also kind of poorly designed. On purpose or not, it doesn't really matter when making it to the next part of the game seems to hinge on chance.

Plus, I haven't played the classics it's calling back to, so no nostalgia value in it for me anyway. :/

Good comic today though. :)

The problem is, Shinji Mikami is the designer of the Resident Evil series which, and this is more or less true with all the games, is really fucking bad at subtly and therefore horror. They are 'decent' action games, and decent adventure games, but crap at horror. Resident Evil 4 is often loved because its actually pretty damn good at the action, and is the only game of the series which can actually even remotely scare something above a newborn kitten, mainly thanks to the chainsaw enemies.

Now because Resident Evil advertises itself as a horror series, when in fact, none of the games actually have horror as a strength, but 'most' of the games are actually pretty good at what they actually are good at. This causes the false assumption that Shinji Mikami is actually a good horror game designer, when in the first 5 games, tried to combine action and horror, despite those aspects are literally impossible to combine.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.