Death Threat Regret

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Death Threat Regret

Biting the hand that feeds.

Read Full Article

First: Does the [look at a YouTube comment section to understand my level of bile and disgust for this person] kinda look like Bieber(its the hair).

Second: Erin's rage face is hilarious.

Third: You should actually be cursing IceFrog. He's the guy who made the Warcraft 3 map/mod.

Fourth: Keep up the good work, or we'll receive it poorly.

40 MULTICAST AT LEVEL 1 WTF

Seriously though, fuck ogre.

I mean common sense reigns; don't bite the hand that feeds you. What did he expect was going to happen?

What you say in your own living room usually stays in your own living room...

What you say on twitter however the whole world gets to see...

Choose wisely where to rant and say things you dont really mean...

On the internet... everyone hears you scream.

I think the real damage that Twitter causes is not the spread of threats, it is the spread of stupidity.

In this case both the unfunny joke and the seriousness that it was given were retard.

Good comic and points.

Karadalis:

Pretty much this.

Not that I think Grey needs to be told this; he writes stuff to make people have a think or a laugh or a both.

I rage out pretty hard at games. Even single-player ones. I'm one of the biggest reasons I don't like competitive games, because I don't like the way I get in those situations.

I don't have a Twitter, but if my time here has taught me anything then I'd at least hope I'd be able to keep my impotent rage off of Twitter.

Karadalis:

Pretty much this. What you say in the privacy of your own living room is your business. What you say on Twatter, Facebook, etc. is everyone's business.

Haha, Valve Kingpin. I immediately imaged a cigar smoke filled room with a small poker table with Gabe, whoever is in charge of managing Origin, Uplay, and the upcoming GoG client all sitting around it discussing How to stay civil all while trying to claim as many games and gamers through any means open to them.

Boy that was dumb thing for him to do, even as a joke. I'm no DOTA player, but my heart goes out to those who are. I understand a game like that needs a vigilant person running it (It does, doesn't it?). Considering how big this game has become, with tournaments and everything, the impact must be huge.

Dying_Jester:
Haha, Valve Kingpin. I immediately imaged a cigar smoke filled room with a small poker table with Gabe, whoever is in charge of managing Origin, Uplay, and the upcoming GoG client all sitting around it discussing How to stay civil all while trying to claim as many games and gamers through any means open to them.

I just pictured Gabe's head photoshopped onto Marvel's Kingpin.

Grey... if you're like this over dying to techies... oh god help you when they put Arc Warden in... god help you and god have mercy on who ever has to manage the forums after that... for they are beyond help.

Thing is...while it wasn't serious...it's a sad little thing when a dev would rather quit than say apologize for saying something they shouldn't have said in the first place. I have a feeling nothing is keeping him from going to Valve with an apology and getting the bridges rebuilt... except maybe stupid pride.

It's a shame the dude is a moron, cause his game is really sweet.

Am I a bad person for thinking that this was going to be another webcomic about Gamergate from looking at the title?

what of the old saying, You don't bite the hand that feeds you.

O well. He dun goofed

Sorry but the idiot deserved to get his game pulled. He got mad over some out dated artwork. Infestation(formerly known as WarZ) was listed as WarZ (a title that was pulled from Steam due to a number of reasons) on the front page of Steam for a week. Don't see that dev team being whiny babies on Twitter.

To be fair I feel his game would've been removed anyway based on the other stuff he said. And even if you're not serious threatening to kill someone is one thing, but threatening to kill the head of the business that is, y'know, seliing your game, probably deserves a harsh punishment.

Everyone know you don't threaten Gabe Newell with death. After all you want to keep your friends close & your enemies closer. Instead keep mailing him snacks & let obesity take care of the rest.

/sarcasm

Oh well what he did was pretty stupid & he probably got a better punishment than prison.

Death threats: the mating call of morons on the Internet. So a head of a business did something you disagree with, or a filmmaker made a movie you didn't like, that doesn't mean they have to die. If anyone deserves threats of being killed, its people in the real world WHO ARE ACTIVELY KILLING OTHER PEOPLE.

sageoftruth:

Dying_Jester:

I just pictured Gabe's head photoshopped onto Marvel's Kingpin.

Oh, me too! With a cigar and a cane and everything. Now I wonder who at Valve would be his Bullseye and Elektra. I forget which of Spider-Man's enemies directly report to the Kingpin.

Grahav:
I think the real damage that Twitter causes is not the spread of threats, it is the spread of stupidity.

In this case both the unfunny joke and the seriousness that it was given were retard.

Good comic and points.

You may call it retard, but some people really don't like to receive death threats from their business partners.

To me, this is the one saving grace of social media. The fewer barriers between stupidity and consequences for said stupidity, the better.

And this is why once you become the spokeperson for a business you keep your mouth shut on social media.

But I guess it doesn't matter how many people get metaphorically crucified for it, people are still going to be dumb.

Karadalis:

Yeah, pretty much this. Screaming; "Newell you'll die for this you monster that lives off my tears!", while just in your home playing games is a private matter. Screaming it on Twitter, literally sends a message.

It's kind of a bummer that this cost him his position in the video games industry, but I find it hard to sympathies with him.

I do feel bad for the person who worked on the game with him who now is out on his/her ass because their partner didn't know how to keep it to himself. xp

Not gonna lie...someone threatens me, in jest or seriously, I'm probably not stocking their product in my store.

Disclosure up front, I have no idea what the game is like nor a solid grasp what it's about:

however, from what I've been hearing the past year or two, the team has faced a lot of hardships with trying to get the game on steam even after having a publisher, and trying to push through the slog of greenlight as well....to equally slow or nonexistent progress. And given what I have heard has said the game is not bad, frankly, this sounds like it was the straw that broke the camels back. Was it a stupid move? duh. twitter is a plague at this point, convincing people to blab their thoughts to the world and then being source to ruin their lives as a result. But given everything else, the frustration seems a bit justified. again, the action wasn't smart, but I'd say both sides are at fault here.

Renegade-pizza:
First: Does the [look at a YouTube comment section to understand my level of bile and disgust for this person] kinda look like Bieber(its the hair).

Second: Erin's rage face is hilarious.

Third: You should actually be cursing IceFrog. He's the guy who made the Warcraft 3 map/mod.

Fourth: Keep up the good work, or we'll receive it poorly.

I was gonna say the first one. Guy looks like Bieber.

Explain to me how banning any DOTA 2 player who says terrible things in chat wouldn't be a good thing. Besides, you know, leaving Valve with almost nobody to play what's become their flagship game.

"I shouldn't have done that. You're not supposed to tell a guy you're gonna kill him no more. I got to tiptoe through the tulips with these assholes. Taking all the fun out of the job."

Karadalis:

I might just have found my quote of the week. I am seriously considering having this printed on T-shirts given the ammount of people who are making asses out of themselves and saying things they will later regret online at the moment.

OT: I liked todays CM but am I the only one who thinks these have been rather on the short side lately?

I'm disappointed that the discussion is only about death threats. Seems like everyone is ignoring the fact that Steam being a shitty service lead to the situation.
Another free pass on being shitty for Steam I guess...

I love the "obviously the tweet wasn't serious" part of the article. Not gonna lie, I LOL'd at that. I love the comics, keep up the good work!

Kudos to Valve for not putting up with inappropriate behavior. To the indie dev that got the boot:

Another day, another bedroom game dev exhibits their shaky grasp on reality.

canadamus_prime:

Karadalis:

Pretty much this. What you say in the privacy of your own living room is your business. What you say on Twatter, Facebook, etc. is everyone's business.

Ya, but it's worse when the person you're saying it about owns the platform you're trying to sell a game on. Those of us not depending on Valve for our livelihood probably don't need to be as worried. Although I guess Gabe could always delete my steam account or something. That's actually a pretty horrific prospect now that I think about it.

Ishigami:
I'm disappointed that the discussion is only about death threats. Seems like everyone is ignoring the fact that Steam being a shitty service lead to the situation.
Another free pass on being shitty for Steam I guess...

No, the dude spouting death threats led to the situation. If I'm at a restaurant and my order takes too long, I issue a death threat and get arrested, that's on me, not the waiter.

Once a death threat is issued, the act that led to it becomes irrelevant.

Steam being a "shitty platform" isn't really the concern here. Another addage applies here: "Mo people, mo problems."
Overcrowding of Devs on Steam, hiring more people to deal with that - the company structure gets more and more elaborate and thus ..... shit happens.
Now, the real issue I see here is that this one Dev seems to have trouble sepparating private and professional life. At least, he does so on social media.
He voiced his private opinion and private rage on a twitter account associated with his company. That is unprofessional, at least, and legal suicide at worst. No wonder his business partner reacted to the unprofessionalism.
And, the "oh it wasn't serious" card - I'm not so sure. Clearly, death threats over the internet are just badly translated sarcasm most of the time. The percentage of people who would really get on a flight to go murder someone for an advertisement delay is probably pretty small. And it would be stupid to announce a murder beforehand, anyways.

Fuck Valve and Steam, no one deserves to die obviously (and no one would ever have in this instance), but fuck Valve all the same. They can take all their meme-based popularity and shove it up their ass. They have too much power over too many PC games.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here