Unskippable: One Piece: Unlimited World Red - The Seven Seas Got Weird

Pages 1 2 NEXT

One Piece: Unlimited World Red - The Seven Seas Got Weird

Apparently, I know less about this show then I even thought I did.

Watch Video

We need to get those girls some bras that support them, and pain medication, what sore backs.

While I love one piece, and actually know most of the characters, from time to time I have to wonder what kind of mushrooms the author of the manga and the TV-Show teams ate to come up with this. Also, the women will have serious back problems at some point in their live I suppose....

Wait wait wait! 35th game based on One Piece??? That's almost as many as Dragon Ball Z!! I had no idea One Piece was that popular.

canadamus_prime:
Wait wait wait! 35th game based on One Piece??? That's almost as many as Dragon Ball Z!! I had no idea One Piece was that popular.

It's the most sold manga in history says wikipedia and the TV show is also very popular.

It's not Tom Nook, it's not Tom Nook, it's not Tom Nook... oh hey, a new leaf.

I'm more a Bleach guy but this show easily has it beaten in the weird characters and comedy departments. I remember seeing my cousin play one of the thirty-five games based off it, and it looked pretty fun because you could play as any of the Straw Hat crew except Dr. Chopper (he was your healing checkpoint) and explore the various islands Wind-Waker style.

Hiramas:

canadamus_prime:

It's the most sold manga in history says wikipedia and the TV show is also very popular.

Oh really? I've only seen a handful of episodes of the anime, and the 4kids version too, so I had no idea.

Man I can't help to cring hearing their comment on that cutscene (huge One Piece fan here) but yet again I can't fully blame them since it would be weird seeing that scene from a newcomer point of view.
Also I want to know more about that game like why Aokiji is with Red or is Red a devil fruit eater that can make clone construct of people?
I can never get why they even release that other Unlimited game for the Wii when they made so few quantity of it in the UK (GAME didn't had it and the only place that I read that did got it was at Cex).

Evil Smurf:
We need to get those girls some bras that support them, and pain medication, what sore backs.

She does have a bra, it's just incredibly ineffective at supporting the watermelons she's smuggling. And how can they get pain medication when the doctor can't open the aspirin bottle?

OT: With no knowledge of the show at all, I'm going to point out that Giant Muscled Triangular Shipwright has scars running the length of his torso and robot arms, so presumably they cut off his regular arms and used those muscles to give him extra abs.

Don't worry Graham, I know even less about One Piece than you do.

I honestly had no idea that was Nami until this video had her name show up. AND WHO IS THE SKELETON AND THE DUDE WITH THE PISTON ARMS? WHAT IS EVEN GOING ON?

(in my defense, the last time I had contact with One Piece was in the 2000s, when I watched the anime for all of 2 months).

It seems like I too know a lot less about it that I thought. It seems Nami eat a DD devil fruit at some point, and her redesign is the most normal compared to the rest of the crew...

Shanicus:
Don't worry Graham, I know even less about One Piece than you do.

I honestly had no idea that was Nami until this video had her name show up. AND WHO IS THE SKELETON AND THE DUDE WITH THE PISTON ARMS? WHAT IS EVEN GOING ON?

(in my defense, the last time I had contact with One Piece was in the 2000s, when I watched the anime for all of 2 months).

I'll watch the video later when I'm not busy, but...

'Dude with the piston arms' sounds like Franky. He's the Strawhat's shipwright. Also a cyborg. Dunno what else to say about him, aside from the fact that he and the weapons he designs run off of cola. Like, the soda. Yeah.

Skeleton is Brook. His Devil Fruit power makes it so that his soul can't leave this plane of existence. His soul got lost after he died, so by the time he found his body again, it had already been reduced to a skeleton. He's the Strawhat's musician, but also a talented swordsman. Remember Laboon from the beginning of the series? (The giant whale around the entrance to the Grand Line). Brook promised that he would return to Laboon before he died. So he's upset about that, because... he died.

I've read up on the show(and tried to watch it) so I'm not totally lost, but that's still pretty all over the place. That might also be part of the reason I didn't keep watching(other then the fact the story has been running for nearly 20 years and still isn't finished yet).

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of ONE PIECE but the sheer length and apparent pacing issues(DBZ Syndrome) is a serious deterrent from even starting.

Totally agree that the Marine uniforms are just bizarre. Putting MARINES on a baseball cap doesn't make you look fearsome guys, it makes you look like overzealous baseball fans. AND YOU DON'T WEAR THEM WITH A DRESS UNIFORM!

Dalisclock:

Totally agree that the Marine uniforms are just bizarre. Putting MARINES on a baseball cap doesn't make you look fearsome guys, it makes you look like overzealous baseball fans. AND YOU DON'T WEAR THEM WITH A DRESS UNIFORM!

Their suit and mantle combo looks awesome, though. You can almost overlook the baseball cap ;P

So first time watching Unskippable...I don't quite understand what its purpose is besides comedy. And being a huge fan of One Piece and playing this already made me cringe at the fact they know next to nothing.

I will agree Nami and Robin are pretty much fan service, and the only thing Robin has ever done was perform the longest, most elaborate suicide attempt ever.

...I miss old Brook, his costumes suck compared to his original.

EHKOS:
I will agree Nami and Robin are pretty much fan service

I think we can all agree on that.

EHKOS:
So first time watching Unskippable...I don't quite understand what its purpose is besides comedy.

No, that basically covers the whole purpose of Unskippable. It's just an amusing short segment of them making fun of intro cinematics of video games. You've got the whole gist of it.

OT: You know, all the girls that I remember from One Piece did look pretty much the same in the face. Though, I'd just argue it being a product of its culture and time, being that it's a 17 year old manga.

Yeah... it's One Piece, you have to get used to the weirdness pretty fast, otherwise you'll just get lost.

Also, when was there a tanuki with the Straw Hat crew? Dang, I need to catch up on the manga... now if only I had the money/shelf space for 50+ books...

Wait... this is the 35th One Piece game? Wow, I'm impressed.

klaynexas3:
OT: You know, all the girls that I remember from One Piece did look pretty much the same in the face.

They look exactly like the same blow-up sex doll. The only difference is hair and clothing.

klaynexas3:

EHKOS:
So first time watching Unskippable...I don't quite understand what its purpose is besides comedy.

No, that basically covers the whole purpose of Unskippable. It's just an amusing short segment of them making fun of intro cinematics of video games. You've got the whole gist of it.

OT: You know, all the girls that I remember from One Piece did look pretty much the same in the face. Though, I'd just argue it being a product of its culture and time, being that it's a 17 year old manga.

I think i read somewhere that the author makes all the hot girls in the show look like that because he's been basing their design off his wife. Don't quote me on that though, i've not checked my sources on that one.

OT: One Piece was kind of a clusterfuck during that whole war. It's pretty nice how they kinda went back to formula with the Fishman Island arc and Dressrosa.

Also: Holy shit, has it really been 17 years since One Piece started? And according to some we're at the halfway point? Well at least One Piece is still good as opposed to the series about that orange ninja twat.

Thanks Nami for making "looking this at work" kinda awkward.

Wow... yeah things have certainly changed since I last watched One-Piece.

I've watched almost 300 eps of one piece at this point (almost to the end of the water 7/Enis lobby arch) and there's still a lot of stuff there that made no sense to me.

the strange part is that some things are even weirder when you do know what's going on like the fact that franky (the shipwright) is a cyborg that put his only mechanical parts in after being hit by a train and that he's run by bottles of cola that go in his chest and when he runs out his pompadour doops....yeah it's that kind of show.

canadamus_prime:

Hiramas:

canadamus_prime:

Oh really? I've only seen a handful of episodes of the anime, and the 4kids version too, so I had no idea.

Wow, you've missed out, then. The 4kids version was an atrocity, and pretty much the reason that One Piece is merely a cult hit in the US. If you want to get into the series, though, I'd advice you to read the Manga, rather than watch the Anime. It's not exactly fast paced as it spends a lot of time on world-building, which just makes the Anime that more dragged out. I think the battle on the slope back when they recruited Usopp took at least four episodes, and that was way back in the beginning of the series, before things got complex. So yeah, go with the Manga if you do.

Also, if you do, be prepared for a very, very long adventure in a world that gets more complex and more crapsack for every book. Do not let the artstyle fool you. A comedy it may be, in part, but it is primarily an adventure story, and the world it takes place in is dark as fuck. It just takes some time before that becomes apparent.

Johnny Novgorod:

klaynexas3:
OT: You know, all the girls that I remember from One Piece did look pretty much the same in the face.

They look exactly like the same blow-up sex doll. The only difference is hair and clothing.

Jhonie:

canadamus_prime:

Hiramas:

Wow, you've missed out, then. The 4kids version was an atrocity, and pretty much the reason that One Piece is merely a cult hit in the US. If you want to get into the series, though, I'd advice you to read the Manga, rather than watch the Anime. It's not exactly fast paced as it spends a lot of time on world-building, which just makes the Anime that more dragged out. I think the battle on the slope back when they recruited Usopp took at least four episodes, and that was way back in the beginning of the series, before things got complex. So yeah, go with the Manga if you do.

Also, if you do, be prepared for a very, very long adventure in a world that gets more complex and more crapsack for every book. Do not let the artstyle fool you. A comedy it may be, in part, but it is primarily an adventure story, and the world it takes place in is dark as fuck. It just takes some time before that becomes apparent.

Also, it has a damn good story and characters. Yes, Nami and Robin have huge busts, but unlike other series, it doesn't have as much emphasis. Also helps they have some of the best backstories in the series, though the current backstory characters in the Manga are getting up there. One Piece is very strange in design and with what it has, but it's actually a strong point. Unfortunately, a number of people don't get into the series because of that, which is a shame. Instead they read subpar to crap Manga like Naruto, Bleach, or Fairy Tail (not saying you can't like it, but those series are really bad as they keep going).

For those wondering about certain characters, the Tanuki and the guy controlling the Marines are characters that are only part of the game. They have nothing to do with the actual series. The character designs (default ones) are the current designs of all the crew.

2 things I learned today:
One Piece is 17 years old, and it has 35 video games made about it?! I've only seen one, which played like Dynasty Warriors or the latest Zelda, and it may or may not be this one.

Johnny Novgorod:

EHKOS:
I will agree Nami and Robin are pretty much fan service

I think we can all agree on that.

And they're sent clothes shopping? If anything, they're overdressed as it is already.

captcha: rise and shine
...Mr. Freeman.

Thunderous Cacophony:

Evil Smurf:

She does have a bra, it's just incredibly ineffective at supporting the watermelons she's smuggling. And how can they get pain medication when the doctor can't open the aspirin bottle?

Actually, the doctor can turn into a more human version of himself. Complete with those neat fingers and thumbs you- I mean, we're all so proud of.

That's all I can really answer. No real idea of what the hell is happening with the story.

EyeReaper:

Johnny Novgorod:

klaynexas3:

To be fair, she did have Nami's figure when she was younger.

Though, she still had that face too. xD

Super Cyborg:

Jhonie:

canadamus_prime:

Also, it has a damn good story and characters. Yes, Nami and Robin have huge busts, but unlike other series, it doesn't have as much emphasis. Also helps they have some of the best backstories in the series, though the current backstory characters in the Manga are getting up there. One Piece is very strange in design and with what it has, but it's actually a strong point. Unfortunately, a number of people don't get into the series because of that, which is a shame. Instead they read subpar to crap Manga like Naruto, Bleach, or Fairy Tail (not saying you can't like it, but those series are really bad as they keep going).

For those wondering about certain characters, the Tanuki and the guy controlling the Marines are characters that are only part of the game. They have nothing to do with the actual series. The character designs (default ones) are the current designs of all the crew.

True that. It's getting hard to keep your tears from falling after the last two chapters. Damn it Corazoooon! TwT

EyeReaper:

Johnny Novgorod:

klaynexas3:

And THAT's why it's a World of Gonk. :D
Don't mind them though, EyeReaper. Those are obviously the ignorant words of two who have not watched/read the series. They don't know what they're talking about.

Scarim Coral:
Man I can't help to cring hearing their comment on that cutscene (huge One Piece fan here) but yet again I can't fully blame them since it would be weird seeing that scene from a newcomer point of view.
Also I want to know more about that game like why Aokiji is with Red or is Red a devil fruit eater that can make clone construct of people?
I can never get why they even release that other Unlimited game for the Wii when they made so few quantity of it in the UK (GAME didn't had it and the only place that I read that did got it was at Cex).

Explanation of Red's ability below, minor spoilers

Jhonie:

Super Cyborg:

Jhonie:

True that. It's getting hard to keep your tears from falling after the last two chapters. Damn it Corazoooon! TwT

EyeReaper:

Johnny Novgorod:

Don't mind them though, EyeReaper. Those are obviously the ignorant words of two who have not watched/read the series. They don't know what they're talking about.

Yeah but all of that's pre-timeskip, unfortunately it's only gotten worse post timeskip, I'd be hard pressed to tell Rebecca from Scarlet or Viola or Robin if I was only looking at their faces.

Elthion22:

Jhonie:

Super Cyborg:

EyeReaper:

Yeah but all of that's pre-timeskip, unfortunately it's only gotten worse post timeskip, I'd be hard pressed to tell Rebecca from Scarlet or Viola or Robin if I was only looking at their faces.

To be fair, Viola, Scarlet and Rebecca are kind of really closely related. Like, sister, mother and daughter-closely. It'd be more strange if they didn't look alike. Besides, are you forgetting the entire Fishman Island arc?

And those are pretty much just background characters, too. And what about Shirahoshi? You can't seriously claim you'd mistake her for, say, Camie, even at a distance. >_>

....And that pretty much sums up Nami.
It took me ages to get into this show because of the art design just being so bad, but if you manage to get past that and are able to reach around episode 30 the show shows just how great the story can be with the fishmen arc.

One piece is by far the best weekly shounen at the moment.

Elthion22:

While I will agree that it is worse after the timeskip, there still is a bit seeping through the cracks, like the Imposter Nami and Robin,The lolicon girl with Donflamingo...

But hey, One Piece is the only anime I know that has a fencing skeleton who was a rockstar, and a reindeer who can perform surgery, and a Soda-powered Cyborg who can wield support columns like nunchucks, and then put them in a pirate's crew. What more can I ask for?

Ah One Piece. The only show that has got me crying over a bunch of guys burning a boat.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here