Civilization: Beyond Earth

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Wow, I remember the first appearance of warlord-Ghandi. For those who don't:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/comics/critical-miss/8161-39

Nice one, guys.

Ah, this brings back memories. Sadly I've yet to get Ghandi in game be the megalomaniac everyone claim he is, but god damn it the meme is just so funny I don't care.

Ghandi, you magnificent bastard! Get that man some roboconcubines. He'll need quite a few.

Grats on the comic running so long you can make self-referential humor.

Furbyz:
Ghandi, you magnificent bastard! Get that man some roboconcubines. He'll need quite a few.

This is what you get for not revealing to him the technology for the cloning vats!

Furbyz:

No, he'll need...several

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Renegade-pizza:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/comics/critical-miss/8161-39

Nice one, guys.

huh that was like 2 days before I joined

I remember seeing it...but I can't remember if I saw it when it first came out or later

It was a bug the patched out in the early civ games...I don't think it's actually been a thing since Civ 3.....

See it worked like this.. an integer in the code would store the nature of the leader and this would change over time. Positive becoming more peacful, negative becoming more warlike... There was a point though and as every programmer knows where a signed numerical variable when incremented or decremented beyond a point wil;l lopp around to the other end of the spectrum. Basically if you say used a char (value of 256 range of -127 to +128 when signed) If You added 1 to it when it was alread at +128 it would loop around to -127.

In so doing there could be a point where he would suddenly go from being Super Pacifist and PEaceful to BRING ME THE BLOOD OF THEIR CHILDREN! MY FOUNTAINS MUST RUN RED.

This isn't the first time an unintended number swap caused something like that. Megaman 2 had a famous example with MEtal Man. His actual vulnerability was supposed to be quick boomerang and he was supposed to be invulnerable to metal blades... but due to a loop around.. the multiplier for metal blades went from 0to 255.

Renegade-pizza:

Furbyz:

No, he'll need...several

A mere human Gandhi's appetites could be sated by a trifling 5-7 concubines. This is Robogandhi we're talking about, whose lusts are as unquenchable as the star he throws the broken bodies of his feeble organic enemies into.

There is simply no limit.

Good, good...time to drown the galaxy in blood.

I wonder if anybody's made Chaos nations you can play as...

Furbyz:

Renegade-pizza:

Furbyz:

No, he'll need...several

A mere human Gandhi's appetites could be sated by a trifling 5-7 concubines. This is Robogandhi we're talking about, whose lusts are as unquenchable as the star he throws the broken bodies of his feeble organic enemies into.

Fool! That many concubines will cause a stack overflow.

I have this same problem with Oda Nobunaga, Alexander and Nebu...Nebach...Babylon.

Somehow I was expecting this very comic... I don't claim to be prescient or anything, just that the thought crossed my mind soon as I heard about Civ: BE and I know that if I thought of it, chances are someone is already or has already done it.

An eye for an eye means everyone gets bad-ass robo eyes.

Fun fact:In Civ V all leaders have values on what they will do.
they can go from 1 to 10. And Gandhis "Use of nukes" stat is 12.
HE HAS 12 ON A 1 TO 10 SYSTEM!

Gandhi went full Supremacy!

But in order to do a "dirty bomb" he needs like, level 12 purity. =\

Renegade-pizza:

Nice one, guys.

Thank you. I would had never got the joke without your help. :)

erttheking:
Ah, this brings back memories. Sadly I've yet to get Ghandi in game be the megalomaniac everyone claim he is, but god damn it the meme is just so funny I don't care.

He only a megalomaniac if your a warmonger, especially once he got nuke, as he the one that build the most of them and will most likely use them.

If your peaceful, Ghandi basically the best pal you can have.

Am I the only one that read "Nuclear Launch Detected" in the Adjutant's voice?

If it's a nuclear launch, why is there a biohazard symbol?

For all he's gained in metal, he's lost a lot in charisma. Or maybe it's just that he's missing eyebrows.

Furbyz:

Renegade-pizza:

Furbyz:

No, he'll need...several

Like Bender, he can get freaky and nasty at maximum efficiency.

OT: I'd like to see RoboGhandi try to twirl that 'stash.

"There are no reasons that I would kill for, but there are many I would die for... since my consciousness is saved on this robot and I can be resurrected at will." -RoboGandhi 2535

NOT ROBOGANDHI!

Well, so much for being free of tyranny.

Curse you Ghandhi. It doesn't matter what way I try to win the game, you've caused me to almost always direct my army towards you. I could lose the game and still be happy so long as I wiped you off the map.

BigTuk:
It was a bug the patched out in the early civ games...I don't think it's actually been a thing since Civ 3.....

See it worked like this.. an integer in the code would store the nature of the leader and this would change over time. Positive becoming more peacful, negative becoming more warlike... There was a point though and as every programmer knows where a signed numerical variable when incremented or decremented beyond a point wil;l lopp around to the other end of the spectrum. Basically if you say used a char (value of 256 range of -127 to +128 when signed) If You added 1 to it when it was alread at +128 it would loop around to -127.

In so doing there could be a point where he would suddenly go from being Super Pacifist and PEaceful to BRING ME THE BLOOD OF THEIR CHILDREN! MY FOUNTAINS MUST RUN RED.

This isn't the first time an unintended number swap caused something like that. Megaman 2 had a famous example with MEtal Man. His actual vulnerability was supposed to be quick boomerang and he was supposed to be invulnerable to metal blades... but due to a loop around.. the multiplier for metal blades went from 0to 255.

Civ V, at the very least, has AI personality settings from 1-10 in various factors. Ghandi has a 12 in likelihood to use nukes, so the moment he researches nukes, he will work to build them, and he will use them when war starts.

BigTuk:

Civ 4, and 5 had it as-well

Most of the time its around the production and willingness to use nukes, while having one of the best economies in the game.

BigTuk:

Well it being a bug hasn't existed since then. The devs got such a giggle of Ghandi being such an asshole that he's intentionally coded that way now.

Beyond Earth feels depressingly unfinished.

On the other hand, hey, it made me discover Endless Legend, and it's one thousand times better.

I'm not exactly sure what is worse- bio-Gandhi or robo-Gandhi
On the one hand robo-Gandhi lacks petty human emotions and is purely logical
On the other hand his strategic capabilities are increased tenfold

BigTuk:

See it worked like this.. an integer in the code would store the nature of the leader and this would change over time. Positive becoming more peacful, negative becoming more warlike... There was a point though and as every programmer knows where a signed numerical variable when incremented or decremented beyond a point wil;l lopp around to the other end of the spectrum. Basically if you say used a char (value of 256 range of -127 to +128 when signed) If You added 1 to it when it was already at +128 it would loop around to -127.

Funny fact- this is exactly what happened to Ilwrath from StarCon

To nitpick...the symbol you've used is a "Biohazard" warning not "Nuclear". I see both every day in work. >_>

Violent resistance is futile.

Wait no. I got it. Ghandi will need an ocean full of blood, an ocean so large it will be a planet. He will need a BLOOD OCEAN.

The real question is whether or not this game has Space-Montezuma backstabbing the fuck out of you every chance he gets.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here