"Cinematic"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

"Cinematic"

Cinematic as f**k.

Read Full Article

I'd have commented sooner, but to get the most out of this comic I spent at least a minute on each panel. Feels more cinematic that way.

Zoetropes are awesome. I would love to see a video game that used them. ;)

Those tags are insensitive to blind people.

It's more cinematic that way.

Well, technically, 30fps is closer to the cinema's 24fps, so you could call it "cinematic".
It's just nothing to be proud of, and certainly nothing to advertize.

What? No Slidereel edition?

Piorn:
Well, technically, 30fps is closer to the cinema's 24fps, so you could call it "cinematic".

If only humans could perceive the difference...oh, wait.

I think they'll lose to an indie developer who's frames are rendered by hand, by the artist uploading it using a dial-up connection: 0.00005 fps.

I can't wait for the day that games become truly cinematic, game makers/publishers will rent them to the game retailers who sell us tickets to play them for just a little bit, granted the retailers won't make much money but that's okay as they'll make it back selling us over priced, low quality fast food.

It's gonna be great.

Who are these mythical people that swallow this scoop of bullshit? They certainly don't seem to hang around at The Escapist. Are we sure it's not just a matter of not having a choice between 30 and 60 fps on these titles?

Rainbow Six Siege is the only game i have any interest in coming from Ubisoft. If they throw out this BS again, i'll just have to avoid Ubisoft products altogether. O wells, plenty of other games to play.

You cant use the word "Cinematic" for games below 24fps, the word you are looking is "Photorealistic" or maybe "Photogenic". You can always say that still photos have better quality then movies and look more real therefore games should aim to achieve the same result.

And after that the game is a sculpting because of how tactile it is and no image can replicate the accuracy of your eye, therefore games should aim to achieve the same result.

And then we are back at playing Monopoly and Chess.

That reminds me, I saw a commercial on TV for the new Call of Duty which had at least two mentions calling it "cinematic". I guess now that means its a hand-holding bore where you can't do anything and it has a shite framerate.

88chaz88:
I'd have commented sooner, but to get the most out of this comic I spent at least a minute on each panel. Feels more cinematic that way.

Woah, someone's trying to give the Flash a run for his money. To really enjoy the full experience it's recommended you take at least five minutes per panel.

MarsAtlas:
That reminds me, I saw a commercial on TV for the new Call of Duty which had at least two mentions calling it "cinematic". I guess now that means its a hand-holding bore where you can't do anything and it has a shite framerate.

Could be worse, it could be "animetic" (it's a word, shut up!)
Since most anime run at 14fps (sometimes even lower)
But I guess Watchdogs already did it

That is not a slide projector. That is an overhead projector.

Now I'm picturing Assassins' Creed as a '20s silent film.

*flickery B&W shot of Ezio perched on a building. A bystander spots him*

Caption: GOOD HEAVENS! A HOODED FIEND!

*The Keystone Kops pursue Ezio*

*instantly wants to play any game, Zoetrope edition*

$5, for someone that can create a video game completely in Zoetrope.

Paulhorne Schillings:

That's just perfect with your avatar. Oh boy, what's worse than a game at a shit resolution and poor frame rate? Make it about girls, by a girl! Run to the hills!

Edit, because apparently it wasn't clear: I'm not being serious..
Come on! Zoetrope.. Zoe.. it writes itself!

Piorn:

Then why don't they make their videogames to run at 24 fps?

CaitSeith:

Piorn:

Obviously because as long as they're not at 24 FPS yet, they can continue to make nebulous claims about their games becoming "more cinematic".

Once they reach 24, they're just "cinematic". Then what could they aspire to?

shrekfan246:

CaitSeith:

Piorn:

Obviously because as long as they're not at 24 FPS yet, they can continue to make nebulous claims about their games becoming "more cinematic".

Maybe to make it look like a game: The Order: 1886 runs at 30fps because 24fps doesn't "feel good"

CaitSeith:

shrekfan246:

CaitSeith:

Maybe to make it look like a game: The Order: 1886 runs at 30fps because 24fps doesn't "feel good"

Pshaw, why would they want a game to look and feel like a game? That would be counter-intuitive to the past fifteen years or so of them trying to be movies.

(For the record, I am being facetious.)

Has anyone bought that BS that 30 FPS is more cinematic?

TripleDaddy:
That is not a slide projector. That is an overhead projector.

THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one who caught that.

We'll know games are officially cinematic when they rake in awards for being super depressing to their players to the point of wanting to kill themselves. Whether or not they make enough money.

Who wants a cinematic experience?

If I wanted a cinematic experience playing Assassin's Creed, I'd demand a 24 fps game... and also ask my friends to sit behind me, talking on their cellphone, have babies cry at random intervals, have one guy heckle the film, and demand 30 minutes of trailers before I'm allowed to play the game.

"Cinematic" video games can go die in a fire. I just want the best, most responsive video games you can permit.

... Which I find even more interesting considering Peter Jackson champions faster frame rates for films than what Assassin Creed IV will provide.

Paulhorne Schillings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoetrope#Forza.2FFilmspeed
That was done.

It's hard to take gamers seriously when they say "We care more about gameplay and story" when they raise such a stink about 30 fps.

irishda:
It's hard to take gamers seriously when they say "We care more about gameplay and story" when they raise such a stink about 30 fps.

FPS affects gameplay.

Take it a step further. Make it a giant art museum, and every possible button press is represented by a painting. That you have to walk to. Like you'll have a big book full of button press combinations that tells you which painting to go to, and you have to look up the button press every time.

If that's not the pinnacle of the art of cinema, I don't know what is.

RealRT:

irishda:

FPS affects gameplay.

No, it doesn't. Video game controllers use an interrupt-based scheme rather than having the console constantly read the controller. So low FPS only becomes a problem when the displayed image falls behind the actual state of the game in the console's memory, that is, when there ceases to be a continuous flow between displayed images. Generally speaking, the point at which the human brain ceases to see sequences of separate images and starts to see a continuous movement is between 15 and 20 FPS.

Fun fact: Rumor has it that cinematic 24 fps was too slow to properly capture Bruce Lee's punches. They had to either over crank the camera or ask him to slow down. It's probably just a myth, but either way, video games need to stop trying to be like a different creative industry, especially one that usually embraces new technology the wrong way (CGI for basic sets and receding hairlines ) and won't let go of old, date tech and ideals (24fps).

If video games worked when treated as another medium, we have more games like Dragon's Lair and Space Ace or text only games reminiscent of those "choose your own adventure" books. Averting things like Nintendo's stubborn desire to make us read walls of text in Legend of Zelda's cutscenes (even in the spinoffs) is the only absolutely acceptable "cinematic" approach.

Trishbot:
Who wants a cinematic experience?

If I wanted a cinematic experience playing Assassin's Creed, I'd demand a 24 fps game... and also ask my friends to sit behind me, talking on their cellphone, have babies cry at random intervals, have one guy heckle the film, and demand 30 minutes of trailers before I'm allowed to play the game.

"Cinematic" video games can go die in a fire. I just want the best, most responsive video games you can permit.

... Which I find even more interesting considering Peter Jackson champions faster frame rates for films than what Assassin Creed IV will provide.

Add "The the film doesn't start on time or the wrong film starts playing because the projectionist was told to go do something else that could have been done by any of the numerous extra employees or management wouldn't leave him/her alone about someone he had already confirmed with them several times," "having a drink or snack requires taking out a loan or wearing baggie clothing and copious amounts of duct tape," and "not being able to pause to take a wiz," to your list. Also, technical issues could count, but our TVs could also spontaneously detonate, too.

The "cinematic experience" in general can suffer eternal hellfire, for all I care.

Whenever someone uses the the word "cinematic" in gaming it irks me. A movie is a movie and games are games. That's like replacing the cutscenes with walls of text explaining what happened, that way it's more like a book.

I wonder if Peter Jackson realises that his high frame rate versions of the Hobbit films are the least cinematic films of all time.

gamegod25:
Whenever someone uses the the word "cinematic" in gaming it irks me. A movie is a movie and games are games. That's like replacing the cutscenes with walls of text explaining what happened, that way it's more like a book.

Seriously, if you ask me, a game director trying to be 'cinematic', logically, is just a wannabe movie director stuck in a job they don't want. It's a damn shame too, because if you ask me, games have SOOO much more potential than movies, and this is coming from a somewhat hardened film buff. One, you're just an observer, the other, you can actually live and experience the story, you tell me which is potentially more powerful. It bugs the fuck out of me when people say games being 'cinematic', aka like movies, is a good thing, because that's like saying it would be a good thing for a movie to not have pictures to be more 'radioesque'. All your doing is limiting more powerful medium by comparing it to a more restrictive one. We need more Ken Levines, game directors who know how to bring out the full potential of interactive media, and not just try pathetically to emulate lesser ones.

What's Ken been up to since infinite anyway?

renegade7:
Generally speaking, the point at which the human brain ceases to see sequences of separate images and starts to see a continuous movement is between 15 and 20 FPS.

Yes, but the movement is choppy (like slow-motion with a strobe light). Low-end PCs suffer from this because they haven't enough power to render the frames at the required speed (so it skips some frames or else it goes slow-motion), and can make the game painful to play.

When will the people learn that a movie frame doesn't behave the same way as a videogame frame?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here