The Walking Dead "Slabtown" - The Sound Of The Police

The Walking Dead "Slabtown" - The Sound Of The Police

We catch up with Beth Greene and learn that there's something almost as bad as Cannibals. Fans of early 90s hip hop and zombie gore alike are vindicated.

Read Full Article

Didn't like it, haven't even finished watching it. Bored me to tears. One of the things that gets me about the show is how douchbag creeps have managed to last so long in this environment. I think one of the things the comic benefits from is that outside of deeply personal choices, the decisions made by individuals and groups tend to be pretty logical. This whole episode basically revolved around this guy goreman being a pedo lacky being kept alive because why? Keep in mind this is what like a year into the story? So yeah what I thought I'd do is keep around loser cops who are also obviously creepy pedos.

Nope sorry not buying it. Creepo's get outed pretty quick even in the comic. The ones still around run with a crew of creepos which is fine, but as someone in charge trying to be a good leader I would've snubbed him and anyone else who wanted to be a creepo long ago, but instead we have yet another episode of characters making stupid choices with badly clashing characteristics.

I was getting hopeful with the last arc. They took strongly from the book, the characters, even the bad guys for the most part had clearly defined personalities and reasons for doing what they did. buuut now this again. This show is supposed to define how people would survive in this new world and keeping around a mewing useless fat pig pedo is not on any zombie survival guide I've seen in print.

I think the main reason this was so boring that they already played this out in the governor arc that went on waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long.

It would have been way more interesting if she actually ran into the idealistic group terminus was pretending to be.

This episode sucked honestly. I was so bored within 15 minutes. "We saved you so you owe us, don't go out there. Why don't you like it here?" This conversation was had at least 4 times in the same damn episode. WE GET IT. Beth is a bad actress, and after everything we've seen her go through already, I nearly lost my mind watching this episode.

Only good thing to come out of the episode was maybe Everybody Hates Chris.

Judging by the last few incredible and well-written episodes, I really though the show had fixed its horrendous pacing issues. But this episode showed the writers still don't know how to craft a cohesive, compelling narrative. This episode was terrible and it felt like a waste of time. I feel like the events could have been told to the main characters after the fact in a simple five minute scene. Instead, we got an entire tedious, boring, plotless episode.

Yeah those offiers don't know a thing about subtlety at the start of the episode (if you want to keep the patience inside, let them eat their food etc and then bring out the "owes" once the patience want to leave).

Also didn't Rick share his knowledge about smearing zombie blood on yourself to be camoflage among them? Well ok Carol did know that but I don't see why Beth try that method to escaped the place with ease (I assuming the gunshot draw out the cops) ezpecially when she landed on piles of corpses (well ok that probably wouldn't help but still used the zombie gut she just shot)?

Also that scene was another classic example on now unrealistic they are with their gun accuary, Beth was like an aimbot, shooting them all at the head while having a flashlight under the darkness!!

Yeah Dawn is pretty much gone loco and I having a deeling that Edward is going to be killed in one way or another like that doctor/ professor that was with the Govenor.

Haven't read the article because I haven't watched the episode yet but... "It's sound of the police"? Is that a typo? Missing a word? I'm confuseded

Good review, Ross.

I disagree with the above replies saying they disliked the episode. If folks want ridiculous, in-your-face action over suspense and world-building, go watch Z Nation or something.

One thing I take issue with is your assertion that Amber (the amputee) was murdered. I thought it was a fairly obvious suicide attempt. She wrote "fuck you" on the floor in what looked like liquid paper (the "f" was obscured by her blood).

Also, I think you're misspelling "Goreman." I only remember because I had the closed captioning on. IMDB lists his name as "Gorman."

Makabriel:
Haven't read the article because I haven't watched the episode yet but... "It's sound of the police"? Is that a typo? Missing a word? I'm confuseded

Dammit, yes. It's a KRS-ONE quote. I fixed it. Thanks!

JSRevenge:
Good review, Ross.

I disagree with the above replies saying they disliked the episode. If folks want ridiculous, in-your-face action over suspense and world-building, go watch Z Nation or something.

One thing I take issue with is your assertion that Amber (the amputee) was murdered. I thought it was a fairly obvious suicide attempt. She wrote "fuck you" on the floor in what looked like liquid paper on the floor (the "f" was obscured by her blood).

Also, I think you're misspelling "Goreman." I only remember because I had the closed captioning on. IMDB lists his name as "Gorman."

You're right, and fixed.

I went back on that scene a couple of times. However, Gorman's derisive comment about her - she couldn't get with the program - suggested to me that he might have stabbed her. But you're right, it does support the suicide interpretation. I'm going to do an update taking this into account.

RossaLincoln:

Makabriel:

Dammit, yes. It's a KRS-ONE quote. I fixed it. Thanks!

Hehe, no problem :D For all I knew it made sense in context of the episode, but wasn't sure.

Captcha: Walk the plank. Sheesh, he just made one mistake! Cut him some slack

RossaLincoln:

JSRevenge:
Good review, Ross.

One thing I take issue with is your assertion that Amber (the amputee) was murdered. I thought it was a fairly obvious suicide attempt. She wrote "fuck you" on the floor in what looked like liquid paper (the "f" was obscured by her blood).

You're right, and fixed.

I went back on that scene a couple of times. However, Gorman's derisive comment about her - she couldn't get with the program - suggested to me that he might have stabbed her. But you're right, it does support the suicide interpretation. I'm going to do an update taking this into account.

I forgot to mention: thanks for the spoiler tag. I bet it feels good for you to actually speak your mind behind that little obfuscation instead of using seething sarcasm.

I liked the change of scenery, but wow did it drag.

JSRevenge:

It's not that there wasn't action, it's that it wasn't suspenseful. At least, it wasn't for me. The entire situation felt incredibly cliche and to be honest, I find it really hard to believe that anyone would want to leave if it weren't for the rapey cop. They were safe and had food. Those two things are pretty huge.

It wasn't bad, but compared to the rest of the season, it felt like the weakest episode to me.

RedDeadFred:
I liked the change of scenery, but wow did it drag.

JSRevenge:

It's not that there wasn't action, it's that it wasn't suspenseful. At least, it wasn't for me. The entire situation felt incredibly cliche and to be honest, I find it really hard to believe that anyone would want to leave if it weren't for the rapey cop. They were safe and had food. Those two things are pretty huge.

It wasn't bad, but compared to the rest of the season, it felt like the weakest episode to me.

Well, they played the opposite of your theory out with Woodbury. There was no rape culture there, but when people wanted to leave, they couldn't. I think it's fair to explore other commune dynamics, even if rape seems lazy to some.

As far as weakest episode this season, I would go with S5E2. The canned conversations designed to smooth out everyone's real or perceived beefs with one another was a little pithy for me, and that was half of the dialog. The other half was building up to an anticlimax concerning Father Gabriel.

I think the apocalypse would bring about an actual rape culture in some groups. If they're goal is showing how various groups of survivors developed and contrasting them with the protagonists, then it seems like a good idea to include something like this episode.

RossaLincoln:
Spoilers

What? No way! I totally didn't see that coming after you ****ing gave it away two weeks ago!

Seriously, this is like giving a review of Game Of Thrones season 3 and sticking Dance With Dragons spoilers at the end.

I didn't like this episode. Gorman[1] is a creepy pedo? Yeah, we noticed that the first scene he was in, stop beating us over the head with it. Dawn is fucking psycho too? Was plainly obvious, don't need to beat us over the head with it. The doctor has a dark side? Oh gee, just like everybody in the show. You didn't need to go through that confession at the end for us to know he had one, he made a point of discussing it when he was talking about art before that.

I fully expect Noah to abandon Beth, I'm surprised that she didn't see it that way. Then again, she's been shielded from most of the terrible stuff, mostly likely due to the fact that the writers forgot she existed until Season 4.

Also, anybody else suspect that the former CO may not have been all that bad after all? I mean, they're kidnapping women and forcing them into sexual slavery. If it weren't for the fact that Dawn is explicitly in denial about the fact that no rescue is coming, I'd have pinned their little ventures out into the city as being raiding parties on other survivors.

One last thing - why does nobody remember the CDC in Season One? I understand why it was never mentioned in Season Two - because then they couldn't repeat the argument "they're people!", "no they're not!" three times per episode for half of the season, and Season 2 was awful. Its not excuse, but thats why. I understand that Beth might not have the shimmy on the whole CDC series of events, but Carol does, and if she doesn't bring up the fact that at the CDC it was confirmed that all government structure and organization dissolved, then I think I'm going to slap the writers. They obviously care enough to bring back Morgan, so why not everything relevant that was brought up in the Season 1 finale?

Come to think of it, why does anybody even believe Porter? Rick, Carl, Carol, Daryl, and Glenn were all at the CDC. They know that even the CDC couldn't find a cure, why do they think that this randy can?

[1] Obligatory "You were always an asshole, Gorman!"

MarsAtlas:
I didn't like this episode. Gorman[1] is a creepy pedo? Yeah, we noticed that the first scene he was in, stop beating us over the head with it. Dawn is fucking psycho too? Was plainly obvious, don't need to beat us over the head with it. The doctor has a dark side? Oh gee, just like everybody in the show. You didn't need to go through that confession at the end for us to know he had one, he made a point of discussing it when he was talking about art before that.

I fully expect Noah to abandon Beth, I'm surprised that she didn't see it that way. Then again, she's been shielded from most of the terrible stuff, mostly likely due to the fact that the writers forgot she existed until Season 4.

Also, anybody else suspect that the former CO may not have been all that bad after all? I mean, they're kidnapping women and forcing them into sexual slavery. If it weren't for the fact that Dawn is explicitly in denial about the fact that no rescue is coming, I'd have pinned their little ventures out into the city as being raiding parties on other survivors.

One last thing - why does nobody remember the CDC in Season One? I understand why it was never mentioned in Season Two - because then they couldn't repeat the argument "they're people!", "no they're not!" three times per episode for half of the season, and Season 2 was awful. Its not excuse, but thats why. I understand that Beth might not have the shimmy on the whole CDC series of events, but Carol does, and if she doesn't bring up the fact that at the CDC it was confirmed that all government structure and organization dissolved, then I think I'm going to slap the writers. They obviously care enough to bring back Morgan, so why not everything relevant that was brought up in the Season 1 finale?

Come to think of it, why does anybody even believe Porter? Rick, Carl, Carol, Daryl, and Glenn were all at the CDC. They know that even the CDC couldn't find a cure, why do they think that this randy can?

I've been wondering the same thing. The CDC thing never happened in the comics so semi-believing the Washington thing was plausible in the books but makes no sense in the show. Everyone was all excited that the TV show moving away from the comics and then they just kind of dropped it and never mentioned it again like it was non-canon or something. When the washington thing comes in the show not a single character is like "dude we were at the CDC and they told us everything was tits up. No help no cure the store is closed.". I think they just decided to pretend like it never happened so they can try to stay on track with the book somewhat.

Ha aliens I get it now. Took me a minute.

[1] Obligatory "You were always an asshole, Gorman!"

I think it's pretty clear the armless woman killed herself. If Gorman had killed her for disobedience, he would've pierced her brain to prevent her from coming back. Why would he leave her there to die and turn, then forget she was there and let her eat him?

Slow ep leading into, well, I imagine the military trikes on Atlanta will look like a slap fight versus what Carol, Daryl, and Beth (Who's pretty formidable for her age, and I don't quite get the hate for her.) are going to do.

Yeah, it's a slow one, but it sets the scene well, I think. Several police versus seasoned zombie killers? Both sides are fairly well trained. Kinda obvious Daryl, Carol, and Beth will survive, but who else will, and what gain will the group have when all's said and done?

Yeah, it's kinda odd Gorman's survived as long as he has being a massive creep, but Dawn seems to just want all the warm bodies she can to hold things down, and Gorman seemed to leave her alone despite hating her, so she didn't have a huge problem.

It's a view into other leaderships, and how people try to get along, and it's not all perfect.

While I'm not opposed to episodes taking a breather from Rick and Co. though I don't MIND Rick and Co., I couldn't find it in my heart to give ANY shits about Beth.

The pacing wasn't all that great, Noah was pretty okay but they could've have more to do with him and his backstory, Emily Kinney still can't really act and the best part of that episode was Dawn calling Beth's bullshit out about being weak and a burden on everyone because I still think it's true. AT LEAST she gets like A point (placing her at about negative twenty-three on my scoreboard) for helping Noah escape.

Pervy cop is a perv, crazy cop Dawn is crazy, nice doctor with a dark side is probably gonna die soon, blah blah blah. At least Carol's in there to bail Beth's sorry ass out. AGAIN.

(My opinion is not popular opinion but forums exist for a reason and I regret nothing by disliking Beth). We all know she's gonna be okay or else Daryl wouldn't have reacted the way he did at the end of episode 3

Spider RedNight:
(My opinion is not popular opinion but forums exist for a reason and I regret nothing by disliking Beth)

Actually most people couldn't even remember Beth's name prior to the second half of Season 4, myself included. The only thing she did in Season 2 was try to commit suicide just to pad that episode, and her summary of contributions in Season 3 is take basic care of the baby in the background. I'm surprised she's not dead, given she had less lines than T-Dog did in Season 2 and, even though he died only a few episodes in, in Season 3 as well.

MarsAtlas:

Spider RedNight:
(My opinion is not popular opinion but forums exist for a reason and I regret nothing by disliking Beth)

Actually most people couldn't even remember Beth's name prior to the second half of Season 4, myself included. The only thing she did in Season 2 was try to commit suicide just to pad that episode, and her summary of contributions in Season 3 is take basic care of the baby in the background. I'm surprised she's not dead, given she had less lines than T-Dog did in Season 2 and, even though he died only a few episodes in, in Season 3 as well.

Hell, I'M surprised she's not dead. She's virtually the most useless member of the team, excluding Judith who's an infant but somehow less whiny.

At some point, I should really watch this series. I live where it's filmed and based. It would be kind of cool to see landmarks I know. And I know I've been to Grady on a few occasions. I heard they once shut down I-75 to film an episode. It probably improved traffic, honestly.

Deimir:

RossaLincoln:
Spoilers

What? No way! I totally didn't see that coming after you ****ing gave it away two weeks ago!

Seriously, this is like giving a review of Game Of Thrones season 3 and sticking Dance With Dragons spoilers at the end.

I hope that someone did mention to him that the spoiler from the comics was a not-great thing to do, so he used a spoiler warning this time around. Better, but not perfect (especially cause it wasn't flagged as a spoiler from the comic, but just as a general spoiler, so people might think it was a TV show spoiler).

Anyways, I liked the episode, but Beth's hardassness was undercut by her escape plan. She's a veteran of survival out in the world, you'd think she would have a better plan than "climb down a rope with no weapons (she only stole the handgun due to convenience), supplies, or even decent clothes, and head out into a heavily infected area that has already likely been scraped clean of anything useful by the hospital." Delay a few days, plot out a route and get a couple of backpacks with food, water, weapons, and other stuff, and maybe even plan to steal a car.[1] As it was, I thought that it was lucky for her that the hospital people captured her before she ran out in the city proper, got nowhere fast, and ended her story as an entree.

[1] Sure, it leaves her with Rapey McCop a few days more, but it greatly increases her odds of survival outside, and she is tough and ruthless enough to probably handle him if she needed to.

"Inside, she finds the young woman from earlier, dead on the floor next to a pair of scissors, apparently having been murdered only minutes before. Beth rifles through Dawn's files and finds the key she needs, but Gorman barges in just in time to catch her in the act."

Someone already pointed out it was a clear suicide. In the main bad guy her office, with FUCK YOU carved into the floor next to her corpse and the fatal wound being the same cut that was amputated.

I am not too sure, but to me it looked a lot like a bite wound at the start. Nou doubt about it practically, because it was not serious enough to just amputate otherwise...

Im sorry, but this episode was boring boring boring, and it dragged on too long as well. While its not as bad as the Wheres Sophia?! And baby birthing, waaay too much emphasis was put on the drama.

Yeah, another good episode. Although I am a lot less critical of this show than you are. I don't happen to be bothered much by people doing stupid things. That's just what people do.

I thought it was totally clear that Amber killed herself. She cut herself up in Dawn's office so that she would turn in there and eat Dawn the next time she came in. Perfect revenge.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here