Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Review - Game Boy Advanced

Pages 1 2 NEXT

And again CoD is the King of Mediocrity. Why don't they do what they really WANT to do, making multiplayer shooters? Maybe a Call of Duty Destiny?

Also, I cannot remind people enough: Yathzee saw this coming! It was inevitable. Press X to palm your face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBxpzRZxBZo

edit: corrections

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare upholds the status quo and aims no higher than that. Its sci-fi trappings are but shallow appeals to progress, and while the multiplayer is still able to provide some entertainment, the CoD formula feels anything but "advanced" these days.

THANKYOU. So many reviewers and youtubers seem to be losing their shit over a few minor tweaks to the formula this time around.

Even seems to be this growing chorus of 'this games good, people are just hating on it because it's cod'.

When in reality it's another case of new hat:

Cannot help but wonder whether people are receiving this game more positively because Ghosts was such an abomination.

As Totalbiscuit noted here ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1g2XGnN2jM&list=UUy1Ms_5qBTawC-k7PVjHXKQ ), the game is so scripted that it arbitrarily prevents you from using the FOV (field of view) slider in single player. If you could see beyond the microscopic 65 field of view, then you could see the "edges" of things in cutscenes your not suppose to.

You commented on the political commentary in the game for a paragraph, your review is clearly biased and not objective /sarcasm.

So in summary it's a watered down, lukewarm affair that's terrified to do anything new and all the new features are just window dressing?

And no one was surprised.

(Hold X to pay respects, fucking really?)

Quote: "Recommendation: Hold X to pay respects" It's funny because the series is dead

I downloaded this on launch day for some reason, possibly compulsive related, and have to agree the leash is feeling much tighter this time around. It feels like it successively turns your brain off, suspiciously ripe for subliminal message insertions (hmmmm...). Until i suddenly wonder why nanovision isnt working, then the grim reality returns.
Also...the physics. What the hell is wrong with small object physics? There are N64 games and indie games with far more grounded (tee-hee) physics than this game. That and the enemies in exo-survival are just human military based with shoddy run n gun-at your face AI. Where are the aliens and zombies? The ones that involved, albeit minimal, creativity and character?? It all seems bare and bland like a muesli-wafer. Oh don't even mention the hoverbikes either! That will remain a sore subject for quite some time.

Still, Kevin Spacey though. Half arsed points for that at least.
With the "hold X to pay respects", i had to think long and hard as to whether that was some self aware joke on their part. Though when i say "think", i mean "hope"...and by "long and hard", i mean "through catatonic despair."

So, for single player I should replay DeusEx:HR?
Will do.

Sad really, TB gave the multiplayer a fairly glowing review

I suppose for some, the bridges are burned and for others they still remain

let's see what the general consensus says because a part of me wants to play this game; i'm a sucker for exo-suits and near future weapons.

It's funny, some people were saying, "Well, they got Kevin Spacey for the campaign. You don't just get someone like Kevin Spacey for nothing." and my response to them was, "Kelsey Grammer was in Trans4mers. Sometimes people just need a paycheck." Now I know I was right. Kevin Spacey as, Kevin Spacey playing, Kevin Spacey.

Izanagi009:

let's see what the general consensus says because a part of me wants to play this game; i'm a sucker for exo-suits and near future weapons.

Its a Call of Duty game, the multi-player will always be its strong point, no matter how many times they rehash it. I think the point Jim made is that the game could have done some really good things and change the game in a positive direction by taking the game to a more mature space narratively and generally give people the opportunity to form their own opinions on where warfare will take us in the future, be it corporate wars or drone combat, but instead the campaign just does the typical kill generic bad guy, on rails bit, shoot some more guys and so on. Its just something you can't keep doing forever without getting bored of it, at some point you have to involve the player beyond "Press X to pay respects".

Aikayai:

Izanagi009:

Its a Call of Duty game, the multi-player will always be its strong point, no matter how many times they rehash it. I think the point Jim made is that the game could have done some really good things and change the game in a positive direction by taking the game to a more mature space narratively and generally give people the opportunity to form their own opinions on where warfare will take us in the future, be it corporate wars or drone combat, but instead the campaign just does the typical kill generic bad guy, on rails bit, shoot some more guys and so on. Its just something you can't keep doing forever without getting bored of it, at some point you have to involve the player beyond "Press X to pay respects".

I suppose,

Why doesn't Activision just focus on making a multiplayer only game? more time and money will be spent on what the majority of people play and we don't have to deal with the stupid of "press x to pay respects"

I have the sudden urge to re-write this review in a more "objective" style. Let's do this:

Izanagi009:

I suppose,

Why doesn't Activision just focus on making a multiplayer only game? more time and money will be spent on what the majority of people play and we don't have to deal with the stupid of "press x to pay respects"

I think Titanfall proved that a multiplayer only game is a big risk, for how many outcries were there with "I don't want to pay full price for half a game".

Hopefully there is going to be a new shooter game that will help redefine them again. Halo and Call of Duty have done that in the past, but it seems recently a lot of the games have felt stale on the same level as a Madden game.

Izanagi009:

I have noticed a trend where TB tends to get giddy and excited over games (actually most things in general) that have sci-fi elements to them or anything involving jet packs and railguns/lasers etc. That's cool though, just his personal preference shining through.

However while I respect his opinion as someone that probably enjoys fps as a casual fun romp for a week, I tend to face palm when he makes statements regarding the 'skill ceiling' of particular games.

When developers add so much mmo-style excess bullshit to the experience, any hope for a balanced, competitive and skillful game goes straight out the window. Even if there was dedicated servers, CoD and Battlefields lack of modding and community support in favor of yearly releases and monthly dlc has been terrible for the FPS genre.

ron1n:

Izanagi009:

I have noticed a trend where TB tends to get giddy and excited over games (actually most things in general) that have sci-fi elements to them or anything involving jet packs and railguns/lasers etc. That's cool though, just his personal preference shining through.

However while I respect his opinion as someone that probably enjoys fps as a casual fun romp for a week, I tend to face palm when he makes statements regarding the 'skill ceiling' of particular games.

When developers add so much mmo-style excess bullshit to the experience, any hope for a balanced, competitive and skillful game goes straight out the window. Even if there was dedicated servers, CoD and Battlefields lack of modding and community support in favor of yearly releases and monthly dlc has been terrible for the FPS genre.

In this case, I would argue there is some level of skill in using the suit's mobility as well as aiming while on the move. Since there is no smart pistol like with Titanfall, this means that people have to actively aim and while criticism of auto-aim are valid for the console versions, i'm not sure how accurate it is for the PC version.

I do understand though that yearly releases and monthly DLC would make balance diffiuclt; If I had to design a fighter that would be released yearly with monthly DLC, it would be a logistical nightmare, especially given the amount of playtesting needed

"Press X to pay respects." That is just the most perfect thing I've ever read.

Honestly, I'm a little bummed out. I was hoping this Call of Duty would be different than the rest, sadly this doesn't seem to be the case. I haven't purchased a Call of Duty game since Modern Warfare, looks like that's gonna continue.

That's too bad. I like shooters, and I love it when shooters have a good story, like Half-Life, or Metro. I dont know much about this CoD setting, but everything looked pretty cool. Oh well. Maybe next year.

So! I bought this, because it looked sufficiently stupid to be enjoyable.
That's probably a very hipster thing to do, buying a game to ironically enjoy it, but hey, I do silly things often XD. The thing is that by considering a "comedy" I've managed to enjoy it a whole lot more than if I expected anything more significant from it.

When I saw "PRESS X TO PAY RESPECTS" I simply laughed my ass off... because whoever is developing this has to know that is fantastic parody... right?
I hope they know that.

However I should say that I have not played any CoD since.. Modern warfare? I may have dabbled around with a few of the newer ones' pvp. But the point is that maybe I'm not as sick of it as Jim seems to be.

Anyhow, that was a good review, I agree with most of the points, but I still have had a blast with it.

"HOLD X TO PAY FOR RE-SPECCS"?!?!?! THIS IS ABSURD, WHY IS NOBODY COMPLAINING ABOUT THIS RAMPANT MONETIZATION?!?!

At least they didn't mean 'pay respects' like at a funeral or something. Yeesh.

[/snark]

The MMS shooter has never been my genre, so I don't really have a horse in this race. I feel bad for fans about the series stagnating due to its own success, though. I got cajoled into playing CoD2 back in the day and while ultimately it didn't win me over, coming from a background of Doom / UT / Halo I was impressed with ways it leveraged the 'realistic' setting for some great gameplay. At the time I backed away because I didn't care for the jingoism of the games but suspected that as the gameplay continued to innovate I might be won over.

Weird it didn't break that way, really. I get why it stagnated, but it doesn't seem like that had to happen.

So is this happening because Activision milks the franchise too much? Or too little?

I've yet to play it, but it looked like a mixed bag to me. I also fucking called it only being received well because Ghosts was so awful.

Time to play Black Ops II again, I remember that at least Treyarch can keep this series going, 'cept I must wait until 2015 for that.

Edit: And now to wait two weeks to see (note: incoming exaggeration) Yahtzee proclaim Call of Duty to be the worst thing ever yet again. This November's not going to be a pleasant one.

I am dissapointed Jim.

Not a word about the games system requirements. Not a word on its optimization.

How can games like Crysis 3 and Metro, with MUCH better visuals (though AW is fairly good I admit, it is not even close to those 2), better AI, bigger levels and smaller/poorer dev teams run on 2GB of RAM whilst Call of Duty can not run decently even on 4... on minimum settings.

I am dissapointed JIm :( ... you never hammer devs on such incompetence :(

I'm having fun playing the campaign, and it it light-years ahead of Ghosts, but it's still lacking that 'pop' level I feel. I want to be in the thick of fire fights again and fighting a war, like Modern Warfare 1, 2, and 3. I want to feel the feeling of desperation I got when the Obama was attacked and overrun in Black Ops II.

Now granted, I haven't beaten the campaign yet, so those moments might still be coming. The opening level was good, but once I switched to ATLAS, it's become just me and two to three other guys fighting. I fear this may be the last CoD I buy because the game seems to have forgotten what made the old ones fun. Perhaps Treyarch will be able to pull something off. They don't seem to be afraid to go, "Hm...let's try that!"

Press X to pay respects.

Are we sure nobody who made Duty Calls BLOODY SCREEN SO REAL worked on this game?

Ugh--- this game. In your Squirty Play the "Press X to Pay Respects" bit was shockingly tacky. If the game is about being a soldier, I'd want to be doing cool combat things of course, but on an emotional level, the sacrifice felt empty because the story gives us nothing to latch onto about the characters for us to care about them as comrades in arms, friends, or even just as people.

Want the audience to feel something? Have an officer talk about the soldier's character and his accomplishments on and off the battlefield. Show his family grieving. Show the flag being honorably folded and given to the widow as she tries not to collapse under its weight. Show flashbacks of being him doing something goofy in the mess hall at basic. Give the audience SOMETHING. Not a POS quicktime event. I groaned and rolled my eyes. Noone should be groaning or rolling their eyes at a soldier's funeral.

You know what? Forget tacky. That scene was in bad taste, poorly handled, and approached being disrespectful.

Moving on: I'm so glad you mentioned the leniarity, Jim. I kept thinking, "This is really, REALLY close to being an on-rails-shooter".

I could tell imediately from the hype-building commercial, where the player just follows this guy around being told where to go and what to do and the player imagines that a goat is a girl, that this would be Instruction Following Simulator 7. Your carnival ride is about to start, keep your hands inside the cart at all times. Be sure to stop by the souvenire shop on your way out.

But people just buy these games for the multiplayer right? Which is weird because the other ad showcasing "Spacey" (quotes because any time a movie or game tries CG the likenesses of real people it looks horrible and wooded - ugh cg Jolie in Beowulf, what a complete mess) and and a few other things about the campaign, seems to suggest they've put some care into developing a robust single-player campaign. Nope. They didn't.

And another killer was when "Spacey" says, "This is advanced Warfare". Yes, we know, Weird Cardboard Kevin Spacey. We know. That's what it says on the box.

vagabondwillsmile:
Ugh--- this game. In your Squirty Play the "Press X to Pay Respects" bit was shockingly tacky. If the game is about being a soldier, I'd want to be doing cool combat things of course, but on an emotional level, the sacrifice felt empty because the story gives us nothing to latch onto about the characters for us to care about them as comrades in arms, friends, or even just as people.

Want the audience to feel something? Have an officer talk about the soldier's character and his accomplishments on and off the battlefield. Show his family grieving. Show the flag being honorably folded and given to the widow as she tries not to collapse under its weight. Show flashbacks of being him doing something goofy in the mess hall at basic. Give the audience SOMETHING. Not a POS quicktime event. I groaned and rolled my eyes. Noone should be groaning or rolling their eyes at a soldier's funeral.

You know what? Forget tacky. That scene was in bad taste, poorly handled, and approached being disrespectful.

Moving on: I'm so glad you mentioned the leniarity, Jim. I kept thinking, "This is really, REALLY close to being an on-rails-shooter".

I could tell imediately from the hype-building commercial, where the player just follows this guy around being told where to go and what to do and the player imagines that a goat is a girl, that this would be Instruction Following Simulator 7. Your carnival ride is about to start, keep your hands inside the cart at all times. Be sure to stop by the souvenire shop on your way out.

But people just buy these games for the multiplayer right? Which is weird because the other ad showcasing "Spacey" (quotes because any time a movie or game tries CG the likenesses of real people it looks horrible and wooded - ugh cg Jolie in Beowulf, what a complete mess) and and a few other things about the campaign, seems to suggest they've put some care into developing a robust single-player campaign. Nope. They didn't.

And another killer was when "Spacey" says, "This is advanced Warfare". Yes, we know, Weird Cardboard Kevin Spacey. We know. That's what it says on the box.

The single player campaign in these types of games, when you get down to it, does not exist for the benefit of the player. It is designed solely to create set pieces to put into trailers to get people's attention so that they buy it on launch day. And considering how CoD's numbers have been steadily declining for a few years, they're desperate to do everything they can to sell as much as they can on launch before the bubble bursts and then they have to pick another franchise to be their cash cow.

Evonisia:

Edit: And now to wait two weeks to see (note: incoming exaggeration) Yahtzee proclaim Call of Duty to be the worst thing ever yet again. This November's not going to be a pleasant one.

Don't forget the obligatory shitting on the U.S. and Modern Military Shooters/Spunkgargleweewee fans by Yahtzee (Regardless of whether they deserve it or not.).

On the game itself, coming from an on-off fan of CoD, I might just get it when it gets cheaper......

Wow! Suddenly Destiny is looking much more appealing.

Based on Jim's review, a better alternative would be to play Titanfall with House of Cards playing in the background.

This is still the first CoD that I have bought since MW2 quite simply because unlike Jim, I am willing to rebuild the bridge that Black Ops II tore down and Ghosts burned. I don't mean to make any disrespect to Jim here or say that this game is the literal reincarnation of jesus himself (We already have Jim for that!) but this review reads like someone who made up their mind when the game was first announced rather than after they had actually played it. I would still only give the game about 3.5 stars overall but it's not nearly as bad as Jim makes it seem. We'll have to wait and see what Yahtzee makes of all of this now that they finally removed all of the dust everywhere

When reading the review I thought that "Press X to Pay Respects" was a just joke or exaggeration, you know "haha very funny Jim" stuff...then I clicked to part two and saw the screenshot...and then I facepalmed so hard I fell backwards out of my chair.

Really...fucking REALLY? That is something I would expect from a PARODY of the genre not an actual game! And not for a character we barely know let alone care about.

That had to be a joke...something a programmer snuck into the game or suggested sarcastically at a meeting but the boss thought they were serious and kept it in.

Good post Jimothy, as always. I came to this threat right after watching this video. Thought it was spot on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xIQ2UWrqT4

That comparison to Baratheon was glorious.

The only question, of course, is of who is going to be the boar and/or Cersei. 'Cause I don't think we're at the tail end of this reign yet.

I had a modicum of interest simply because I did enjoy the Modern Warfare campaigns for what they were, but I tend to draw the line when it would take me roughly twenty times longer to download and install the game than I would spend playing through it, because of my lack of interest in competitive multiplayer. Also heavily scripted whizzy fizzbang boom pow phwoar "here wait until I open this door for you" campaigns have kinda lost their luster for me.

Izanagi009:

In this case, I would argue there is some level of skill in using the suit's mobility as well as aiming while on the move. Since there is no smart pistol like with Titanfall, this means that people have to actively aim and while criticism of auto-aim are valid for the console versions, i'm not sure how accurate it is for the PC version.

Not really. If it was done in such a way as Tribes, you could argue it did. But in this case, if anything, it actually makes things even more dumbed down due to the 'verticality' of the map design. When devs have to balance or change maps around catering to some movement gimmick, the map becomes less about knowing what corners to push, where to peek, what corridors to hold etc and more about finding places high up to camp in and to derp around with the jetpack.

Add that to all the other existing kill-streak, loadout, perks rubbish and the stupid simple gun play and the CoD series is even more untenable as a competitive title than ever before.Not that any of that is wrong, I'm more than happy for people to have a silly fun pub game to play, it just irks me when people like TB try to give it credit for being anything more than that.

Aiddon:
The single player campaign in these types of games, when you get down to it, does not exist for the benefit of the player. It is designed solely to create set pieces to put into trailers to get people's attention so that they buy it on launch day. And considering how CoD's numbers have been steadily declining for a few years, they're desperate to do everything they can to sell as much as they can on launch before the bubble bursts and then they have to pick another franchise to be their cash cow.

Well, Destiny already has a sequel on the works, so I guess that's their next cash cow.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here