Zero Punctuation: Bayonetta 2 - Sheer Joyful Energy

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Bayonetta 2 - Sheer Joyful Energy

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Bayonetta 2.

Watch Video

Finally someone solved THE issue of this generation. Now solve the middle east!

Why on earth would you use eagle shield in Dark Souls that thing is shit m8?!

Surprisingly mixed rather than outright negative, how weird. Of course there are a few Zero Punctuation Wii U stuff to check off the list but yeah, an actually enjoyable review of a current gen exclusive game.

Personally I didn't have this issue with the finger strain or the update, and I think the "second verse, same as the first" stuff gets finished after the first third and it moves on with the rest of the game. I also liked the backtracking because it does it with a Halo: Combat Evolves mindset in that you're only actually in an old level for ten seconds before moving into a different part of this old level you couldn't access before (see that repeat of Assault on the Control Room when compared to Vigrid: The City of Deja Vu). That swearing business is off, admittedly, especially in cutscenes as I don't remember Bayonetta ever swearing in the first game.

Edit: Oh yes, the penultimate boss fight. Thanks for the clarification guys.

Hate to be a pedant but she doesn't say fuck off during combos, she says "flock off". As in "flock off feather face!". Which is a reference to the first game, which was a reference to Devil May Cry...

Perhaps a whiff of a carnal stormgale is just what the Nintendo universe needs. A beating with an ergonomical truncheon is what the controller dept. definately needs.

I generally just use the pro-controller if I don't intend to use a touch-pad control setup for anything. Feels much better.

A ZP video with "sheer joyful energy" in the title just seems wrong.

I actually thought it was hilarious when she'd say 'fuck off' at the end of one of the combos, especially against some of the pitifully weak enemies. I suspect that's one taunt that would not be included should she ever make it to the smash bros roster.

I'm glad nintendo snagged the game as an exclusive: it's exactly the sort of thing the wii was missing from the last generation. I swear, as time goes on I keep finding myself more and more convinced that the wii u is the system to get this generation (apart from a pc). I played the demo at a friend's house, and combined with other titles that are out or coming out in the next year, it seems like nintendo will have at least something resembling a decent library this time around.

Is it me or Yahtzee's been a bit comedically "bolder" recently? I approve.

I'll chalk this up to a game he enjoyed then, since he was relatively light on the bashing this episode.

I do like how he lampooned/lampshaded the Polygon review fiasco.

And now I really want to see Bayonetta in Smash Bros now. Her playstyle would be interesting (And it wouldn't be hard to tone her down for Smash. Just make it so her outfit doesn't vanish when she uses Wicked Weaves or Demon summons).

OverHaze:
Hate to be a pedant but she doesn't say fuck off during combos, she says "flock off". As in "flock off feather face!". Which is a reference to the first game, which was a reference to Devil May Cry...

I was going to point that out as well. But I can understand the phrase being misunderstood when you're busy shooting, stabbing, punching, kicking, and sexy posing your way through an army of monsters.

Also, if Nintendo bites the bullet and brings in Bayonetta into Super Smash Bros as a DLC character, its gonna have her more "sensual" poses and attacks toned down. If not, then I'm predicting a lot of young boys and girls are going to be drop-kicked into puberty in record time. ^^;

OMG Yatzheee talked about things other then the game mechanics BOY COT HIM!! ETHICS IN JOURNALISIM

What I've learned from this video:

• The Wii U will have sex with the box cover to Bayonetta 2...
  • The reason why the new Smash Bros. doesn't have Bayonetta as a playable character is because that universe can't handle her clitoris...
  • We all should have an orgy later on because that's how diverse we are?

That last one confuses me a bit, but whatever... Who brought the Nintendo lube this time?

Rakschas:

It didn't used to be, it was one of the best high stability/100% physical defense shields and light too! Then FROM nerfed it...I don't know WHY but they did. Pricks.

OT: I like the sound of that, "Sheer Joyful Energy", hell I can imagine Yahtzee even cracking a smile at saying that.

OverHaze:

Which also helps keep with the tone; I think she only says a handful of actual swears in entire game. Which also helps keep the campy tone. Though when things descend into "serious" mode in the final act things fall off.

In terms of gameplay, there's actually quite a few things it does to improve itself. Such as getting rid of those stupid gimmick stages from its predecessor, scaling back awkward platforming, getting rid of the "Press X to Not Die" QTEs, making the difficulty curve less steep, switching where the damned lock-on button is, not punishing the player for using items, and getting Crispin Fuckmothering Freeman in as the Lumen Sage (though of course that's personal preference). It's like the DMC3 to Bayonetta's DMC1; a game with a lot better design due to getting rid of stuff that didn't work and emphasizing that which did. Kamiya is a good designer, but he has a REALLY bad tendency to put a lot of stupid bullshit in his games for sake of gameplay variance that end up detracting from the experience instead of elevating it.

Three minutes in and I was getting ready to witness the rarest event in human history, a Yahtzee Nintendo review that doesn't complain about Nintendo. I was thoroughly disappointment.

Bayonetta being in Smash is fine, we had solid snake after all.

bobdole1979:
OMG Yatzheee talked about things other then the game mechanics BOY COT HIM!! ETHICS IN JOURNALISIM

Yeah and how fun matters and not the size of the womens bust and her well written charakter and boring PMS-Problems.
BOY COT THE MISOOOUGENOUIST!

Because: Why not both?!

Sounds interesting. I can't really fault it for being a Nintendo exclusive if that's the only way they were able to make the new game, but if that stops being the case at some point I might actually be able to buy it.

As it happens, the swearing issue was what finally made me give up on Thief (reboot/reimagining/whatever). As soon as new, american Garret met the "shady" merchant and they started F-ing this and F- that, I was done. It was so out of place and destroyed any immersion and good will I'd afforded it from the original trilogy. Boring taffing game and all the characters in it are taffers.

El Comandante:

bobdole1979:

Yeah and how fun matters and not the size of the womens bust and her well written charakter and boring PMS-Problems.

... you missed the point. btw who is boycotting misogynists?

Evonisia:
Surprisingly mixed rather than outright negative, how weird. Of course there are a few Zero Punctuation Wii U stuff to check off the list but yeah, an actually enjoyable review of a current gen exclusive game.

Personally I didn't have this issue with the finger strain or the update, and I think the "second verse, same as the first" stuff gets finished after the first third and it moves on with the rest of the game. I also liked the backtracking because it does it with a Halo: Combat Evolves mindset in that you're only actually in an old level for ten seconds before moving into a different part of this old level you couldn't access before (see that repeat of Assault on the Control Room when compared to Vigrid: The City of Deja Vu). That swearing business is off, admittedly, especially in cutscenes as I don't remember Bayonetta ever swearing in the first game.

She does, trust me. "Don't fuck with a witch!" Right before killing a god with her lipstick bullet.

Bayonetta was a damn weird game.

Yahtzee, I'm going to say the same thing I say to everyone else who wants Bayonetta in Smash Bros: That's a terrible idea.

I don't really care what Yahtzee says, I'm picking this up for the Holidays since I need to conserve all of my money for that one fighting game everyone keeps talking about.

daxterx2005:
Bayonetta being in Smash is fine, we had solid snake after all.

Snake also had to be constricted to only explosives, he couldn't use any of his guns outside of those. Do you really think Bayonetta isn't going to get off w/o that kind of rule?

KingsGambit:
As it happens, the swearing issue was what finally made me give up on Thief (reboot/reimagining/whatever). As soon as new, american Garret met the "shady" merchant and they started F-ing this and F- that, I was done. It was so out of place and destroyed any immersion and good will I'd afforded it from the original trilogy. Boring taffing game and all the characters in it are taffers.

If it makes you feel better she doesn't say fuck she says flock. Yahtzee must have gotten confused by the odd accent or the music and sounds got in the way. Can't tell if you were on the fence about this game or not though.

Rakschas:

on the first Dark Souls, it's actually a really decent caster shield, It's super light for a greatshield and though it's not 100% physical def, it doesn't suck away all your stamina when hit by a stray pebble.

About Bayonetta, yes.
Although I like 2 better than one, it didn't seem to do anything particularly new or interesting. But hey great is still great.

thaluikhain:
A ZP video with "sheer joyful energy" in the title just seems wrong.

As does the idea of Bayonetta not only being on Nintendo, but exclusive to Nintendo, but here we are. As wrong as it seems, it is oh so right.

Right, well now that Yahtzee solved gender issues in video games ONCE AND FOR ALL, I expect a nice respectful discussion in the comments, and I like what I've read here so far. It feels, I dare say, liberating to have a game that just embraces the ridiculous and goes off the goddamn wall with it. See that , Tomb Raider debs? You CAN have a female lead who likes what she does and is more fun to be around!

Mr. Q:

OverHaze:

I was going to point that out as well. But I can understand the phrase being misunderstood when you're busy shooting, stabbing, punching, kicking, and sexy posing your way through an army of monsters.

Also, if Nintendo bites the bullet and brings in Bayonetta into Super Smash Bros as a DLC character, its gonna have her more "sensual" poses and attacks toned down. If not, then I'm predicting a lot of young boys and girls are going to be drop-kicked into puberty in record time. ^^;

Like daxterx2005 already said, it wouldn't be the first time an M-rated game lead was in a Smash Bros. game. Remember Solid Snake? He couldn't use his guns, but was allowed to keep his grenades and Stinger Missles.

People who are capable of enjoying themselves: yes, this is a grotesquely underserved and underrepresented demographic in just about everything. You don't hear much from this demographic on the web because the people belonging to this demographic are too busy enjoying themselves with what they have rather than needing to launch into endless crusades against everyone else who does not agree with them (or buy the same electronics, or play the same games, or have the same personal preferences, or...). There really does need to be more games designed for people who are capable of enjoying themselves, because I think this is a vast market of critically untapped revenue potential for developers and publishers.

More OT: Now I really have to go back and give Bayonetta 1 a second chance. I stopped playing it long ago because the loads and pauses between missions were severely flow-breaking, which felt really jarring to me in a game that was otherwise so freely fluidic.

bobdole1979:

El Comandante:

bobdole1979:

... you missed the point. btw who is boycotting misogynists?

I think he got your point just fine, it's just that the point is a strawman which we all is a made up one which has nothing to do with what you're implying it has anything to do with.

"Sheer Joyful Energy", now that doesn't sound like Yahtzee... *Complains about optional options* theeere he is!

And I find it kind of pathetic that Yahtzee has to knock games for taking themselves seriously. I mean, Dark Souls takes itself SO seriously, but is never critiqued for it (but that game doesn't have much work put into a sequence of cutscenes that tell a story, so it must be some sort of narrative revolution, I guess).

Knocking games that earn their serious tone through character development and world building, like The Last of Us and Shadow of Mordor, is really profoundly unfair. Not everyone wants to be a jokey action-adventure romp, even if the Tomb Raider reboot might have benefited from doing so. Just stop giving games shit for having the tone they choose if they pull it off reasonable.

Caramel Frappe:
.. Sorry if I sound dumb but- I cannot tell if Yahtzee liked Bayonetta 2 or not. Everyone I know, along with their mom and the dog sure as heck liked it to bits. I'm pretty envious actually, because I want to play the game... yet, I don't own a Wii U to play a single game on.

Regardless, I liked how wild Yahtzee went with his review. Notice how much was going on in his panels?
I'ma assume he really did like it, seeing how he could play "Hungry Hungry Hippo" with her on a train for hours and not feel lust lol.

He liked it, that I can say for sure.

I'd go as far as to say that Bayonetta 2 might even be in his top 5 this year. Currently, it looks like Dark Souls II, Strider, Shovel Knight, Alien Isolation and this will make the cut, with the possibility of Shadow of Mordor, Wolfenstein and South Park Stick of Truth to be there too.

Haru17:
And I find it kind of pathetic that Yahtzee has to knock games for taking themselves seriously. I mean, Dark Souls takes itself SO seriously, but is never critiqued for it (but that game doesn't have much work put into a sequence of cutscenes that tell a story, so it must be some sort of narrative revolution, I guess).

Knocking games that earn their serious tone through character development and world building, like The Last of Us and Shadow of Mordor, is really profoundly unfair. Not everyone wants to be a jokey action-adventure romp, even if the Tomb Raider reboot might have benefited from doing so. Just stop giving games shit for having the tone they choose if they pull it off reasonable.

I think what Yahtzee is trying to say when he complains about the brood factor is that he doesn't think those games have done it right. He said that the main character of Shadow of Mordor was completely generic, hence why should he care when he's delving into a tone that is at this point a massive cliché. He didn't like the main characters of The Last of Us, either.

He has liked unbelievably grim video games such as Limbo, Amnesia, Spec Ops: The Line, Batman: Arkham Asylum and City, FarCry 3 (the rather depressing character building part) and Silent Hills 1, 2, 3, 4, Shattered Memories and Downpour.

Oh Yahtzee what have you done? I hope you know that you are going to get lynched by Neo-femmanazis and their legions of Social Justice Whiners for having a different opinion that they do.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here