Escape to the Movies: Big Hero 6 - Meet Disney's Animated Avengers

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Rawbeard:
One review I saw mentioned that some of the kids watching actually turned to their parents asking how long that movie is midway through. So I guess kids do have too short an attention span to sit through a movie. :(

I assume we watched the same video then. I dunno if it's just Bob's "Adult Comic nerd" side that made this one seem too short for him, but it felt like he underestimates how short of an attention span some kids have, especially nowadays since it seems like most kids have some sort of condition.

Makabriel:
Hmmm so is the villain's identity as obvious as I think it is?

not quite.

Rawbeard:
One review I saw mentioned that some of the kids watching actually turned to their parents asking how long that movie is midway through. So I guess kids do have too short an attention span to sit through a movie. :(

I blame television ;)

But in all serious what's that about? I used to watch Gone With the Wind as a kid and you mean to say the little weeds today can't take a bit over an hour? The times we live in.

Guffe:

Just didn't find when it will arrive in theathers in Finland :/

Hoping sooner rather than later!

According to a Disney site, January 23rd. Because, you know, a wait of almost three months for a major Hollywood studio's yearly tentpole film is a convenient and justifiable thing in a global age.

P-89 Scorpion:

Evonisia:
So if it does rush I find that a bit peculiar. Neither Frozen or Maleficent (two massive Disney hits of 2013/2014) were rushed. Hell Frozen even had padding in it with that damn second Troll scene. What convinced them that kids wouldn't pay attention when clearly they did for Frozen and Maleficent (and those weren't action films, mostly).

Big Hero 6 is the exact same length as Frozen 102 minutes including the credits. The reason this seems rushed is Frozen is a very padded and loose adaption of a very short story this isn't.

And yay for being in the UK were this doesn't come out till March/April when everything about it will be spoiled because I dare to use the internet.

Windknight:

P-89 Scorpion:

Evonisia:
So if it does rush I find that a bit peculiar. Neither Frozen or Maleficent (two massive Disney hits of 2013/2014) were rushed. Hell Frozen even had padding in it with that damn second Troll scene. What convinced them that kids wouldn't pay attention when clearly they did for Frozen and Maleficent (and those weren't action films, mostly).

Big Hero 6 is the exact same length as Frozen 102 minutes including the credits. The reason this seems rushed is Frozen is a very padded and loose adaption of a very short story this isn't.

And yay for being in the UK were this doesn't come out till March/April when everything about it will be spoiled because I dare to use the internet.

Oh great... I remember going insane dodging spoilers for wreck-it ralph, not looking forward to doing it again for this, especially as I REALLY want to see it.

I am with you guys in thinking it sucks but just so you know it is actually 30 January so not as bad as wreck it ralph.

Been so looking forward to this one. Unfortunate to hear about the big flaw though, I hate it when a movie feels rushed. Still, will most likely check it out- WHEN THE FUCKING THING OPENS IN AUSTRALIA ON BOXING DAY!

Seriously, we're getting fucking sick of being treated like this. And then people wonder why Australians have such a high rate of piracy...

Sounds worth seeing. I'll have to drag myself to a theater. Problem is I don't see many movies any more due to the fact I don't have many people to go with.

Glad to hear it is good but please don't you dare suggesting that the Disney Animation Studios should do a sequel.
I think we have enough people doing sequels. Hey if you like high numbers I heard there is the 7 movie of a horrible car franchise on the play... please leave Disney alone.
Already bad enough that they outsource horrible direct to video sequels... don't spoil the animation studio that is doing the feature films.

I thought this looked good, thanks for the confirmation. I was hoping this one would hit off as it looked too fun and I wanted to see it succeed.

That said: No one should be judging a movie based on the diversity (or lack thereof) of the characters. Good is good. Diversity doesn't automatically make a film better, but it also doesn't hurt it at all. Love throwing that bullshit in there still I see. Meh, no big deal, I know that is Bob's Schtick. Mine is to call bullshit when I see it.

So I saw the movie. Really good. Although I'm kinda confused about one part of the movie:

But yeah, besides that, it was quite good. I hope there's a sequel, as I would like to see the other members of the Big Hero 6 get fleshed out a bit more.

I went and saw it tonight, it was a great movie, not fantastic. My favorite thing is the art design, the semi futuristic tokyo is an interesting idea.

I only had two problems with the ending.

"To aid in his investigation, he conscripts the aid of Baymax, an inflatable medical robot whom Hiro retrofits into a war machine. Baymax, for its part, goes along with the plan strictly because it fits with his programming to do whatever will aid Hiro's emotional and physical recuperation"

Wow. Kids movies always smashing my emotions.

I really enjoyed the movie, but I kind of disagree with Bob's assessment of Gogo. Her character seemed a little too forced 'stone-cold badass Asian girl with colored streak in her hair to match her attitude' when compared to the other characters that felt more like real people instead of a film stereotype.

Related, I would like to see Bob do a Big Picture comparing the film to the original comic. The internet was really flustered when the character designs for the film came out and everything from "they changed it now it sucks" to "they reduced the number of POCs and I want to boycott over it" crossed my path. I know nothing of the comic, but have heard things about it having questionable aspects, so it would be nice to have a comic book nerd actually talk about it in more detail.

MovieBob:
[b][a href='/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9881-Big-Hero-6-Meet-Disneys-Animated-Avengers' target='_self']snip

While I agree that they underestimate older children's attention span, I think that you may underestimate younger children's attention span.

Kids under the age of eight might have difficulty with much over 90 minutes, and I think they're trying to capture a super broad audience. Kids don't start consuming media, or going to the movies, when an exceptional minority of them have reached the mental capabilities of "tiny inexperienced adults".

so id call this the second best animated film of the year with How to Train your dragon edging ahead due to being a bit longer and having a more complete story. That said this is so far in my top 3 movies this year and my top 10 ever.

Rawbeard:

It largely depends on the kids, actually. I remember asking that a lot myself way back when, but it wasn't really because I was bored; it was more like I was sometimes being made to see a movie I may not have heard of, or even wanted to see initially. They might still enjoy the movie, even if it's slower paced.

"Superheated to 500 Kelvin"

...Uh, that's 227 degrees Celsius. Or 440 degrees Fahrenheit. My oven gets hotter than that. I mean, it's not as egregious as the Professor Brainard saying his newly-formed flubber was "77 degrees Kelvin" and then touching it with his bare hand, but still.

Steve the Pocket:
"Superheated to 500 Kelvin"

...Uh, that's 227 degrees Celsius. Or 440 degrees Fahrenheit. My oven gets hotter than that. I mean, it's not as egregious as the Professor Brainard saying his newly-formed flubber was "77 degrees Kelvin" and then touching it with his bare hand, but still.

Superheated doesn't refer to the actual temperature what the definition is that a liquid was brought to a temperature higher then boiling without boiling.

I am interested in this movie just not enough to see it in theaters, but it will be something to keep an eye out for down the road.

Ishigami:
Glad to hear it is good but please don't you dare suggesting that the Disney Animation Studios should do a sequel.
I think we have enough people doing sequels. Hey if you like high numbers I heard there is the 7 movie of a horrible car franchise on the play... please leave Disney alone.
Already bad enough that they outsource horrible direct to video sequels... don't spoil the animation studio that is doing the feature films.

Well you don't have to worry about that because it's getting a manga series as its sequel. Yep.

OT: Yeah, this movie was pretty awesome and people really need to see it. It does have a few twists and turns though nothing earth-shattering but it isn't quite as predictable as some people say it is.

scorptatious:
So I saw the movie. Really good. Although I'm kinda confused about one part of the movie:

But yeah, besides that, it was quite good. I hope there's a sequel, as I would like to see the other members of the Big Hero 6 get fleshed out a bit more.

Good, good movie. I agree with the sentiment of wanting more: I would have loved to see more interaction between the characters they wrote so well (even the aunt, who was a pure side character, felt realistic). The ending took a slightly different direction than I thought it would, but that was based on a mis-prediction of the villain's motives earlier on, so it's not like it was a narrative failure. I might go see it again if I have the opportunity...or I might just make it a movie day, since I've been meaning to see Book of Life, too - saw this first because I had a group of friends that also wanted to see it.

(Also, best Stan Lee cameo yet.)

Ilkka:

Guffe:

Just didn't find when it will arrive in theathers in Finland :/

Hoping sooner rather than later!

According to a Disney site, January 23rd. Because, you know, a wait of almost three months for a major Hollywood studio's yearly tentpole film is a convenient and justifiable thing in a global age.

Welcome to the Escapist! :D

That long eh?
Hope I still remember this movie when it finally arrives here :P

Damn it that they have to dub all the "childrens" movies, just sub the thing and get on with it for crying out loud. I want the original voice cast in my animated movies (especially the ones in English since I do just fine in the language).

Oh well... guess I'll have to wait 'til January then.

When kids love stuff like that Nicelodeon crap, El Tigre, betting on kids' attention spans sounds like a pretty dumb thing to do. I mean, I know grown men and women that lack the patience to sit through Inception.

Was anyone else getting a Tron vibe from that one girl's disc weapons? (Despite the obvious Captain America relation.) Can't just let that pass, can you, Disney?

I'm certainly planning to see this sometime next week. I'm curious to see if this beats Interstealler at the box office (I certainly hope so, just for the laughs)

katsabas:
When kids love stuff like that Nicelodeon crap, El Tigre, betting on kids' attention spans sounds like a pretty dumb thing to do. I mean, I know grown men and women that lack the patience to sit through Inception.

...I liked El Tigre...

KazeAizen:

LarsInCharge:

Guffe:

Thinking about StarWars and the rest of the Marvel Cinemtatic universe are we?
But yeah, certainly hope they can keep the good work up myself :D

Well, the last three Disney animated pictures have been:

Wreck-It Ralph
Frozen
Big Hero 6

I'd say that's quite a roll.

Not to mention Princess and the Frog (which started this new age) and Tangled.

Why does everyone forget about Bolt? Everyone always forgets about Bolt.

shintakie10:

KazeAizen:

LarsInCharge:

Well, the last three Disney animated pictures have been:

Wreck-It Ralph
Frozen
Big Hero 6

I'd say that's quite a roll.

Its not that people forget about Bolt necessarily. Its just not seen as the catalyst. It just kind of came and went and I like it sure but everybody started paying attention again only after Princess and the Frog and Tangled.

KazeAizen:

shintakie10:

KazeAizen:

Its not that people forget about Bolt necessarily. Its just not seen as the catalyst. It just kind of came and went and I like it sure but everybody started paying attention again only after Princess and the Frog and Tangled.

I guess, I just find the whole thing weird because, as I recall, Bolt was the first of their newer wave of movies. The next year Princess and the Frog came out which continued the trend of excellence.

fluxy100:
I went and saw it tonight, it was a great movie, not fantastic. My favorite thing is the art design, the semi futuristic tokyo is an interesting idea.

I only had two problems with the ending.

Yeah saw it Saturday and really the only complaint you can throw at it is that you really just end up wanting more. When your first reaction to a movie is to go home and immidately google "Big Hero 6 sequel" you know the movie was really damn good, god I hope we get some shorts or maybe even a TV series somewhere down the line in addition to the eventual follow up movies.

I watched it tonight.
The first half is wonderful, but the second half really drags.
I think I figured out the problem: Hiro is the only interesting/likable character. The rest are just one-dimensional annoyances, but they're not nearly as present for the first half.

Did anyone else see a big, red Toothless being ridden by a Hiccup in an electronic suit?

While I technically may be an adult, I still have to see this, hopefully I'll get the chance to see this film either this weekend or the next. I also should look into the comics, which the movie is only *very* loosely based on, but it's still peaked my interest. So there's that.

I, for one, welcome our new Nintendo overlords.

What always worries me about this sort of flick is that when you see a sequel, they will feel the need to break up the characters and "get the band back together." That doesn't automatically make a movie bad (I like Ghostbusters 2, as an example), but it does eat into character development time, often to retread conflicts or issues from the first that don't need to be done or come off as stupid.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself, talking about a sequel when I haven't seen the movie, but when people start talking about sequels and more character time, it's my first thought.

Of course, this is based on a Marvel property, and Marvel characters hardly ever butt heads....

arc1991:
"My diagnosis"? *raises finger* "Puberty"

I died and had to rewind the video :')

It's obvious, you know where it's going, and it's still funny as hell.

Souplex:
I watched it tonight.
The first half is wonderful, but the second half really drags.
I think I figured out the problem: Hiro is the only interesting/likable character. The rest are just one-dimensional annoyances, but they're not nearly as present for the first half.

You saw the same movie as him right because none of those characters were annoying in the slightest when I went and saw it.

Went to see this movie earlier today. Overheard some kids complaining that the movie was much too short. I laughed at that.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here