No Right Answer: Best Mel Brooks Movie

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Best Mel Brooks Movie

You know his work, you can quote every line from all his movies. But have you ever thrown down and picked which is his best work? We got you covered.

Watch Video

My favourite is Dracula, Dead and Loving it. Leslie Nielsen was great, as well as Brooks taking a bigger role in this one than some of his other movies. The first time I saw the staking scene I kept laughing until I ran out of breath.

Saddles, every flippin time!

I think Silent Movie should get some credit for being the ballsiest production ever(a silent film in 1976?) and for Marcel Marceau having the only spoken line in the movie.

Men in Tights isn't one of the picks? I'm shocked, but actually sort of happy.

Jim Sterling meme referenced? I'm amused.

I personally liked the narrative in Young Frankenstein. I liked it as a whole, even if the one-liners were good. I also think Spaceballs holds up.

But in the end, you guys bring up my two favourites, HOTWP1 and Blazing Saddles, and I don't know that I could choose.

You guys should do a "Worst Mel Brooks Movie," though I think only a couple would get on there without you being run off the internet by someoneone.

Airplane is the only correct answer to this debate.

People who haven't even seen the movie can reference the jokes and laugh at them.

Let's just compromise and say "there is no bad Mel Brooks movie."

I'm gonna go Space Balls. Young Frankenstein gets a close second. I have yet to see History of the World (sadly). And I didn't really care for Blazing Saddles as much as I wanted to.

SilverUchiha:
I'm gonna go Space Balls. Young Frankenstein gets a close second. I have yet to see History of the World (sadly). And I didn't really care for Blazing Saddles as much as I wanted to.

Another vote here for Space Balls. While some of the jokes fell flat (and lord knows we're all tired of Star Wars gimmicks), it was darn funny back then and still holds up today.

The opinions of the two clowns in the video are irrelevant. Mel Brooks's best film is The Producers with Zero Mostel.

It is a very hard pick between "Blazing Saddles" and "History of the World" for me. I can say though that "Space Balls" does not hold up for me. It has its wonderful Mel Brooks moments like combing the desert, but all in all it just does not do it for me. I think it's right to say that being a spoof of Star Wars hinders it in comparison to his other work.

gridsleep:
The opinions of the two clowns in the video are irrelevant. Mel Brooks's best film is The Producers with Zero Mostel.

That is very true.

gridsleep:

Out of curiosity, which two are the clowns? Also, I think The Producers is way too stuck in hippie jokes to have the same impact now as it did then. Frankly, I find the new Producers to be much funnier. Blaspheme I know.

I'm sorry I love History of The World but, Hitler on Ice has nothing on Mel's first introduction of Hitler

I think I agree with Blazing Saddles being the most topical and the ending is just 4th wall breaking awesome but, I still think History of The World has the most and best laughs and as it's world history the jokes aren't stepped in pop culture as much so it's still timeless.

Some of his lesser known or referenced movies are good too, like High Anxiety. Not super but, great tribute to Alfred Hitchcook and it has it's moments. AKA. Harvey Korman for the win.

Eabus:

gridsleep:

That is very true.

Yup. Couldn't stand the remake - not that I have anything against Broderick or Lane, it just seemed like they were trying to do impressions of the vastly superior Wilder and Mostel duo.

Gorrath:

gridsleep:

Out of curiosity, which two are the clowns? Also, I think The Producers is way too stuck in hippie jokes to have the same impact now as it did then. Frankly, I find the new Producers to be much funnier. Blaspheme I know.

Agreed. I feel the additions they made on the new one, like the extended participation of the characters of Gary Beach and Will Ferrell elevates the movie above the original. Of course, one can't deny the original had a lot more impact because, at the time, making humor out of WW2, Nazism and Hitler was truly outlandish.

On the other hand, my favorites are Men in Thighs and Silent Movie... Silent Movie is slapstick comedy gold in its purest form.

hermes200:

Gorrath:

gridsleep:

Agreed. I feel the additions they made on the new one, like the extended participation of the characters of Gary Beach and Will Ferrell elevates the movie above the original. Of course, one can't deny the original had a lot more impact because, at the time, making humor out of WW2, Nazism and Hitler was truly outlandish.

On the other hand, my favorites are Men in Thighs and Silent Movie... Silent Movie is slapstick comedy gold in its purest form.

Exactly! Will Ferrel isn't someone I normally gush about, but I thought he was fantastic in that role. Well, everyone was really. Plus, exchanging hippie jokes for gay jokes makes it a lot more universal and not stuck in the time period in which it was made. The whole casting scene was comedy gold as was the scene at the director's mansion. The gay jokes were well done, coming off as silly stereotypes instead of being mean spirited ones.

Zachary Amaranth:
You guys should do a "Worst Mel Brooks Movie," though I think only a couple would get on there without you being run off the internet by someoneone.

That one is easy:

Jeremy Dawkins:
My favourite is Dracula, Dead and Loving it. Leslie Nielsen was great, as well as Brooks taking a bigger role in this one than some of his other movies. The first time I saw the staking scene I kept laughing until I ran out of breath.

Not many people's first choice...

... But I entirely agree.

Now, let's enjoy and relive that staking scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWzzX4lLPnU

"She's ITALIAN?!"

Lvl 64 Klutz:

People who haven't even seen the movie can reference the jokes and laugh at them.

Airplane is not one Mel Brooks' movies.

Newhouse:
I'm sorry I love History of The World but, Hitler on Ice has nothing on Mel's first introduction of Hitler

I think I agree with Blazing Saddles being the most topical and the ending is just 4th wall breaking awesome but, I still think History of The World has the most and best laughs and as it's world history the jokes aren't stepped in pop culture as much so it's still timeless.

Some of his lesser known or referenced movies are good too, like High Anxiety. Not super but, great tribute to Alfred Hitchcook and it has it's moments. AKA. Harvey Korman for the win.

Gotta love both versions of The Producers. Now that song will be stuck in my head all day. Thanks!

I can honestly say, after seeing all of his movies, I've never seen a Mel Brook's movie I didn't like. I didn't love all of them, but yes even Twelve Chairs I enjoyed. It's a great story and it's well acted. Not the best, but not a bad movie.

V4Viewtiful:
Saddles, every flippin time!

Yeah.

Imma go with saddles.

gridsleep:

I must say, I was disappointed that this didn't even get a mention. Thanks to The Producers (the original), I smile every time I hear the word concierge.

I haven't seen all of Mel Brooks's stuff, but I'd have to say Young Frankenstein is one of my favorite ones. One of my problems with Mel Brooks is that a lot of his comedy comes from just silly blatant humor. I just see it, it's silly, so I'm supposed to laugh. There's some moments of more subtle humor or severity in it, but to me, Young Frankenstein is one of the few films of his that I've seen that has a higher percentage of subtle humor and severity as opposed to just silly slap stick, and that's why I have trouble now with most of any of his stuff, because I get bored easily with silly humor. It's like the difference between Holy Grail and Life of Brian.

Lvl 64 Klutz:

Not sure if trolling or just unaware of directors

OT: Young Frank for me, purely for the inclusion of Marty Feldman
but use "Candygram for Mungo" and "You know... morons" all the time!

Lvl 64 Klutz:

I... really hope you're not being serious. Because it would make me very sad if you actually were that clueless about every way you're wrong.

OT: That is a tough sell, I love both Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein fairly equally. But there's also a special place in my heart for History of the World Part I and Spaceballs. However the later stuff like Men In Tights or Dracula Dead and Loving It, while good movies did not capture the same feel as his earlier works.

Trishbot:

Jeremy Dawkins:

Not many people's first choice...

... But I entirely agree.

Now, let's enjoy and relive that staking scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWzzX4lLPnU

"She's ITALIAN?!"

Peter MacNicol is also perfectly cast as Renfield. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24czSl30EmA

The producers hands down.

It's about something.

It actually happened (At least, the scam From the producers that is, not Springtime for Hitler... Yet...)

It's genuinely funny without the 4th wall breaking humor from Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, and Spaceballs.

And... Zero Mostel.

Edit: Also, I want that Cary Elways "Jim Fucking Sterling son" as a background now

Edit 2: DAMN IT ALL, Now I want to watch Mel Brooks movies all night, DAMN YOU NRA!!

From what movie was the screenshot named "sexy germans" at 04.30 ?

So I don't know anything about people and movies, cut me some slack. I blame Chris and crew for putting it in the background.

Have these guys not seen "The Producers"?

I love spaceballs and blazing saddles but The Producers might just be the greatest comedy ever made. Seriously, two jewish producers attempt to swindle millions of dollars from old ladies with a Hitler musical! It is so offensive that it breaks through the offensiveness barrier and comes out inoffensive on the other side.

Personally, I think Spaceballs is one of his worst.

It's gotta be either Young Frankenstein or Blazing Saddles.

Spaceballs is always going to be my answer. Hands down. It just makes me burst out grinning everytime, especially the part with the John Hurt cameo. Just a long, hilarious trip for me.

I found Blazing Saddles to stand head and shoulders over Space balls.

Every moment is fucking brilliant.

Blazing Saddles is probably the one that will endure the most, but this is like comparing Monty Python sketches and trying to decide the clear winner. Spaceballs was a topical parody of something as near-universal as Star Wars. Men in Tights is the best take on Robin Hood there's ever been. The Producers is best seen on stage. Young Frankenstein and Dracula: Dead and Loving it make classic horror tropes into soft-spoken, subtle comedy. And then there's HOTWP1, and how it lovingly brought us the first art, followed immediately by the first art critics, the annual orgy and buffet (first served, first come!), and being armed with Mighty Joint, among other timelessly great jokes.

Though, I think we can all agree to be happy that none of them trolled us by throwing out Life Stinks as the best Mel Brooks movie.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.