The Big Picture: Cooking Show - A Look at Too Many Cooks

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Cooking Show - A Look at Too Many Cooks

Bob talks about the fantastically weird and darkly hilarious viral short from Adult Swim.

Watch Video

At this point, I'd say hoof out Family Guy and just fill it with Williams Street stuff.

King of the Hill, American Dad and Cleveland Show can stay, though. They're good in my book.

I've heard a lot of good things about Venture Bros here and there, I want to check it out sometime but to my knowledge it's not out on DVD where I live.

(Warning, incoming TVTropes link)

Adult Swim: Our mission statement is Cerebus Syndrome.

Part of what made this a sensation was the relative novelty in pop culture. Telling people who were attracted by novelty to dig deeper into something that becomes rather mundane is probably not going to accomplish anything.

I wouldn't mind more discussion about Adult Swim, Venture Bros in particular.

Also, read the title initially as "Too Many Cocks", and I initially went "Dammit Bob, you said that this video would be a fun one!"

Is it just me or does this seem a lot like some of the tactics that trey parker and matt stone use in their feature length stuff?

Uriel_Hayabusa:
I've heard a lot of good things about Venture Bros here and there, I want to check it out sometime but to my knowledge it's not out on DVD where I live.

This might help you get caught up with the series, I know you can find it on dvd on amazon, I'm sure its around other places too like half.com, but Im not sure what kind of sites ship to the Netherlands.

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/the-venture-bros/

Thank you Bob for actually mentioning the whole point of 12 oz. Mouse, which is what I was thinking about when you pointed out the whole formula for these Adult Swim shows. Seriously, I get tired of telling the 12. oz Mouse haters that that was the point of that show: It was basically a self-deprecating jab at how cheap Williams Street's animated productions were combined with a David Lynch film.

In fact, maybe you could do an episode on 12. Oz Mouse sometime.
Especially the genius that is Shark. "Just a small taste....of my mighty blackness."

:Watches too many cooks on youtube app on xbox one...gaps for air from laugher: This needs to be a real show!

Also Bob, nobody understands Xavier. I doubt adult swim understands him.

You talk about Williams Street, but no mention of Space Ghost: Coast to Coast? That's the creation I'll always remember most fondly.

I suffer from insomnia and I caught Too Many Cooks when it premiered after having taken a zanax. After about 5 minutes I felt that I might need to call 911.

Uriel_Hayabusa:

Try Netflix. Not sure how far along they've gotten, but I know that they started posting the series a year or two back.

Warning on the too many cooks link. NSFW unless your work is cool with single arm covered breasts.

Uriel_Hayabusa:

Absolutely wonderful show. I strongly recommend it.

I just recently got into Venture Bros. I'm on the last episode of Season 1, and I've been enjoying it a lot so far. Makes me eager to watch even more, because supposedly the show doesn't start really getting into things until after the first season.

Isn't that basically what most art - or at least pop art - actually is? Revisiting genres and details that affected you early in life and reworking them into a parody, homage, or counter-argument, then gradually filling in your own sensibilities and perspectives until it becomes something all its own? Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Game of Thrones, Disney as well as its influence on manga and anime, Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, Tarantino's entire filmography, a lot of superheroes, etc.

MarsAtlas:
I wouldn't mind more discussion about Adult Swim, Venture Bros in particular.

Also, read the title initially as "Too Many Cocks", and I initially went "Dammit Bob, you said that this video would be a fun one!"

Relevant:

Anyways, I've shown Too Many Cooks to a couple people I know... and I've gotten entirely different reactions from each one. One of them asked me why I subjected him to that. Another loved it, but said they'd never watch it again. And the third... just looked at me completely dumbfounded, with nothing to say.

I'll also second the nomination of doing a Venture Bros episode. That show is amazing.

Though I'm really hesitant to go out and watch shows (mostly because I'm lazy), this video at least made me pre-emptively watch Too Many Cooks and well, I don't know whether I should be thankful or not. Soon it will be time to spread it to people I know.

Yeah, Adult Swim does have a thing for taking nostalgia, turning it on it's head and becoming its own thing.

Jman1236:
:Watches too many cooks on youtube app on xbox one...gaps for air from laugher: This needs to be a real show!

Also Bob, nobody understands Xavier. I doubt adult swim understands him.

This post looks like it is half comment half ad for Xbox One... It just seems so weird to read like you are on some marketing team and have to work the console's name into every comment somehow...

Venture Bros. is my single favorite television show ever, so yeah, take that for what it's worth. It's too bad Justin Hammer and Jackson Publick take ages to churn out new seasons.

I aborted the video about four minutes in, thinking, "Okay, I get it, endless takes on the 1980's sitcom opening credits trope. Would have been funnier if they could have snuck Bob Saget in." And no, the semi-topless woman was not enough to keep me watching. Seems I might have aborted it too early.

And yes, you should definitely test-drive everything that comes out of Williams Street. Even Tim and Eric, who have a terrible track record with me, always deserve at least one look.

I think I accidentally watched the season ender to 12 Oz. Mouse, whereupon the other fragments I had seen started to make some perverse sense.

Xavier just seems to me to be the story of an acid trip, told from the first-person perspective.

Metalocalypse actually helped me form an appreciation for metal.

Moral Orel was absolutely brilliant in its brutal throat-punching of the bankruptcy of "received morality," and should be required viewing for every religious zealot on the planet.

And Man:
I just recently got into Venture Bros. I'm on the last episode of Season 1, and I've been enjoying it a lot so far.

Oh, you are in for a treat! The cold-open of episode 202, when #21 and #24 don their henchman uniforms once again, is an absolute masterwork. And yes, Bob, you should do a column/video on it.

Dammit Bob, now you NEED to do a Venture Bros. Episode.

Also, please attempt Xavier. Because I need to get SOMETHING out of that show.

Jetsetneo:

I got plenty out of that show. What I got was "Sometimes things aren't products of misunderstood genius that you're obviously too stupid to understand. Sometimes they're just bad."

Too many Cooks was hilarious, just watched it.
And I've literally never seen or heard about any of those other things.

Well now I get last week's Super Best Friends podcast.

The gag ran too long and the "weird" at the end wasn't weird enough to save it. Dunno. I didn't find it funny at all past 3 minutes in and then I watched just to see where it went. Was disappointed.

Bob sounds like one of those guys who knows everything about a particular niche, and loves nothing more than to let that be known. "Oh, you like that new experimental quasi-jazzcore metal band? Yeah they're pretty cool but Baznerfaustkerflumpenstein has been doing that for yeaaaars".

Watching this just to see what the hell this is.

Not Bob's video I mean this subject matter.

Huh...never actually thought about metalocalypse in that way, but since you pointed it out, yeah I see it. I just love it for the music as well as the humour.

Interesting analysis of many of adult swim originals, even though I avoid the live-action stuff like the plague (especially Tim and Eric, they're still not funny) and 12-oz. Mouse looked like ass from beginning to end. The one-joke-in-the-beginning style can wear thin and make me not want to look again. I'm trying to get back into Matalocalypse after 2 seasons, but the mass slaughter they do is too graphic and realistic to be enjoyable.

Venture Brothers, however, is the tits. Do some episodes on it! Devote a whole MONTH if you have too!

McMarbles:

Jetsetneo:

I got plenty out of that show. What I got was "Sometimes things aren't products of misunderstood genius that you're obviously too stupid to understand. Sometimes they're just bad."

I think "misunderstood genius among stupid people" is an ass-covering excuse by people who don't want to admit that something is clearly awful.

I'd tend to say Aqua Teen Hunger Force personifies Adult Swim's bizarre sensibilities better than Venture Bros. The comedy in ATHF is absurd and yet usually understandable (but not always). And yet there is a series of meta gags running around the show, like it's newer insistance that it is NOT ATHF anymore, but Aqua Unit Patrol Squad One, or Aqua TV Show Show, or my favorite "Aqua Something You Know, Whatever..." ATHF also speaks volumes about comedy when the show is about a 'family' of talking food products living next to a stereotypically white trash neighbor, and that is the least crazy part of any single episode. With story arcs like Shake being turned into a chocolate milkshake by being bitten by a radioactive black man; or a walking sentient dick that makes everything out of dicks and has appeared multiple times as different characters, such as BALLOON HITLER (Der Inflatable Fuhrer).

Another vote for Venture Bros Bob.

I would be genuinely interested in your take on it.

(And might rekindle an interest in the show for me. It's excellent but damn if there doesn't seem to be a long wait in between seasons)

The gag ran way too long and i got so bored that when it started the murders I stopped watching. I just don't find it amusing because it feels like its trying to hard to get a reaction out of me.

Edit: I also want an episode about venture bros

I... I don't... what this this I don't even?!

As much as I like the idea of taking the typical 80's/90's sitcom and screwing with the viewer's expectations... I don't think this one's for me.

Then again, I usually avoid the live action-stuff on Adult Swim... and most of their animated stuff that's currently on for that matter (I'm still pissed that Toonami has been relegated to Midnight on Saturdays). I don't know, in my opinion, it's barely worth wading through the crappy stuff to get to the good stuff...

That being said, I highly agree with the idea of an episode (of episodes) on The Venture Brothers, arguably one of the best shows on Adult Swim. If I had it my way, it and a few others would be the only shows on that block...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here