Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - G.I. Joe Villain Kevin Spacey

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I remember when Yahtzee mocked games for using PMCs as villains. It's kind of sad that we've reached a point where that's considered an improvement.

I will give the game credit for going the "Objectivist libertarian tries to topple all governments in the world to usher in an era of anarchism" route, though. It's no more realistic than "PMC goes to war against the US and almost wins" angle, but it's at least something I haven't seen before, plus it's refreshing to see Objectivists as the villains again. (And having them be a PMC means I can imagine they're the private covert-ops group from Jay Naylor's comics.)

OT: My prediction that Ghosts' dribbling awfulness would make people be less cruel to Advanced Warfare is being proven even more, though it wasn't some kind of master class prediction when MW3 allowed for the quite good Black Ops II to look outright great. Even the Zero Punctuation review of Advanced Warfare wasn't overly mean like it always is, though once more there is no mention of the Co-Op mode because that might actually lead to the Black Ops affair where good things could be said about the game (though I haven't played AW's co-op mode yet).

Aiddon:
So basically it lacks any of the hilariously qualities of its predecessors and is just a pile of bland mush. I think at this point with the series selling less and less every year, Activision is just keep it on as a cheap way to make pocket change until the next big thing.

I think this sums up Ghosts, and in the Call of Duty series can only sum up Ghosts.

I honestly thought Yahtzee was going to say, "CODAW bad," and review something else.

Too bad Yahtzee didn't play against the bots or try the endurance mode, he would've gotten a good sense of the MP experience without ever having to deal with his fellow man.

You know why all the CoD games stick to the same formula (sniper mission, rail shooter mission on a turrent, etc...)? Because when they did All Ghillied Up and the AC-130 sections in CoD4, people loved them for being innovative and unique. In a world dominated at the time by generic-as-fuck WWII shooters with the same constant formula (AKA ripping off Saving Private Ryan), Modern Warfare with its use of a present-day setting, large-scale setpieces and mission variety was a breath of fresh air. But they keep trying to recapture that, not realizing that by doing so they're making a new set of cliches that something else is going to come along and break.

plutoburns:
I have yet to see someone use the grappling hook in multiplayer.

you'd think it would make an excellent melee attack, and it would have to charge after every use. Send a player flying.

While I usually love mobility mechanics, the mention of the grappling hook does make me a bit sad because I still kind of want to see a game which could be summed up as "first person Bionic Commando," but I sincerely doubt Capcom are competent enough to work a concept even that loose and ludicrous into being.

Also, F.

I just knew he'd focus a lot of it on the KSpace, and I wasn't disappointed.

Regarding its multiplayer having only watched Angry Joe's livestream of said multiplayer: It's nice that they added some kind of shield AND verticality almost as if some of its designers overheard the constant negging the series always recieves from the PC fps MasterRace such as Tribes, Battlefield/TF2, Planetside, Titanfall, & Unreal players. But at the same time it was obvious that they completely missed the point because all of that stuff is about OBJECTIVE GAMEPLAY. What best supports great Multiplayer mechanics, is always the fact that you can't just Rambo everything all the time. If that's what you like doing, then you might as well just be playing against Bots instead. It was really interesting to see the announcement of Overwatch drop in right before CODAW released and hopefully in a lot of ways, completely overshadow COD's chances of remaining the #1 arena shooter.

PS: yes I'm aware that COD in essences does us "real" core FPS players a helpful turn by acting as a douche vacuum sucking up all the annoying 13 yearolds who would otherwise devalue our favorite dedicated servers in the aforementioned games. But it's also doing more harm over the long term because it keeps those players in that cycle well after they should be moving onto to a more social / more adult focus in FPS gaming. And speaking of man-children stunting, I also noticed it had a "Press F to muh soggy knee" scene where a woman in one of those Exoskels gets easily overpowered by a dude without one for no other reason than incredibly stupid over dramatization or what most people can only conclude as: "Because she was a woman, lol". ...yeah SJW's are right about as often as a broken clock, but I hope Activision gets savaged by them anyway just so they'll leave the rest of us alone for a while.

Funny how new/young Lara Croft is an example here of the "Batman Singularity". After that and the "would rather have sex with her" mention in the Bayonetta 2 review, I feel like Yahtzee may actually have feelings for reboot Lara. She would look hot in a Batman/Batwoman outfit, though not an armored one.

Bindal:
May I ask, what kind of problem people have with the whole "Press F"-thing? It is quite literally just "Press [use-key] to interact and continue" - SINCE WHEN DID THAT BECOME A BAD THING? Because it's Call of Duty doing it (despite the fact it did it a lot previously), am I right? Yes, I am.

Because it's pointless in the context of the game. It's not a QTE, if you don't press x it's not game over, it just sit's there for a while and eventually the game caries on. There's no point to it. The whole thing could easily have just been a cutscene.

Roger:
We lost a great sheep today. His sacrifices must never be forgotten.

Press F to baaa.

A llama in sheeps clothing. GTFO race traitor!

Micah Weil:
I'm surprised you didn't point out that Just Cause 2 was doing the grappling hook thing four years ago...

I'm thinking it's because if you'd then have to note that all of the "new" things in CODAW (Hush! No more stupid CODAWing!) have been done before and aren't new at all. We've used up all originality, only imitation and repetition remain.

Zachary Amaranth:

Bedinsis:
In accordance to the credits this week, I only have one thing to say:

f

I pressed 'F' and nothing's happening. I can't believe there are so many day 1 bugs.

Not a bug, scrub, you just blew your cover! That's only broken in pirated copies, as a day 1 patch fixes what was an intentional issue.

Slow time event. good name. I know how much you hate quick-time events, but there was one slow time event that I thought was really good. It was killing the boss at the end of metal gear solid 3. That was a goodie.

"Slow Time Event" I've got to remember that one.

Mechanically it's exactly the same CoD formula with the majority of the new stuff only usable when the game says you can. The story starts out fine but around the halfway point goes off the deep end. While I do agree it's better than Ghosts it's still the same old thing, despite what some mainstream reviews may lead you to believe.

I'd love if the developers of COD just pulled a fast one and put demons in the last 3rd of their next game, imagine it.

Higher ranking support character: Okay soldier, jump on that drone controller and-
*loud rumbling*
Higher ranking support character: What the hell?
The Devil: Indeed.

Something about CODAW's plot makes me think they stole it from Captain America: the Winter Soldier. Say, you know who Cobra is pretty much ripping off? HYDRA.

Diablo1099:

Needless to say, I found the scene kinda disappointing and the fight wasn't even all that good, if it was like the climax of an action movie levels, I would be able to look past the massive plot holes but NOPE!
I know they needed the extra budget to pay for Kevin Spacey's face but it's just one of several small things that bug me about the writing in that game.

Like how you just so happen to lose your arm at the start of the game right as your friend has their arm stuck in a door, I feel like they missed out on having YOU plant the bomb there and dramatically have to tear your own arm off to avoid getting killed.
Granted, it would result in the entire funeral scene being cut but just think how much more awesome the first half an hour of the game would be then.
You wouldn't even need to change the plot all that much, just instead of:

Irons: You served with my son. Want a Job and a Bionic Arm?

to

Irons: HOLY SHIT BALLS THAT WAS BADASS! WANT A JOB AND A BIONIC ARM!? XD

I now want to hear the real Kevin Spacey say that in his real voice, and not in his Frank Underwood Super-Southern accent.

Absimilliard:
I was kinda hoping for an Assassin's Creed Unity and/or Rogue review, but he might be waiting until Unity is actually finished.

Also, I'm fairly certain that if it hadn't been for forum rules, there'd be a lot of posts with just an F in this thread.
On reflection, I do believe that's a good thing.

Having said that: F

Ouch. It would be really funny if he tried to replicate the bug that takes characters' faces away, leaving them with floating eyeballs, teeth, and hair in the place of heads.
Oh, also: F

tm96:
The Batman singularity. I myself don't see it but it does get my imagination moving.

Hehe yeah....some quiet contemplation needed after that one :p

Teoes:

Not a bug, scrub, you just blew your cover! That's only broken in pirated copies, as a day 1 patch fixes what was an intentional issue.

B...but I have my receipt right here!

Alarien:
Does anyone else here now REALLY REALLY want to play Call of Duty vs. Pinhead?

That sounds fantastic. Especially if you get to play as Pinhead.

I was thinking more of CoD: Dark Corners of the Earth. Either set it in the 1920's/1930's or make it a delta green style setting, and at the end, the player gets eaten by Cthulhu. Because at this point, why the hell not?

Bonus points if Peter Dinklage voices Cthulhu.

Bindal:

Thanatos2k:

Bindal:
May I ask, what kind of problem people have with the whole "Press F"-thing? It is quite literally just "Press [use-key] to interact and continue" - SINCE WHEN DID THAT BECOME A BAD THING? Because it's Call of Duty doing it (despite the fact it did it a lot previously), am I right? Yes, I am.

Immersion. On in this case, the lack thereof.

Yeah, not buying that argument. Those that do bash the game for the funeral scene wouldn't even try to get immersed into the game to begin with because they rather want to bash the franchise.

From what I've seen of the scene, and from what was said in the video, his problem is not of the event's existence, but the fact that it only serves to link two scripted scenes together. You hit the button, turn around (if that), and walk maybe ten steps before control is taken from you. It's kind of like a moment that annoyed me in a certain JRPG where they played a cutscene after a battle, then you walked into the next room for another one. In both cases, the player's involvement was entirely unnecessary. Instead of making you make that tiny movement, it would have been better in both cases to just carry straight from one to the other, then give control back the player when the time came to actually play again.

F-rankly, I enjoyed this video. Well said, Yahtzee.

Will this current batch of CoD writers ever learn to write innovative stories? Magic 8 Ball says 'unlikely'.

Though I suppose there isn't a scene as blatantly plagiarized as the plane scene in Ghosts. (though the bunches of drones are very reminiscent of Matrix 3)

This is the first CoD since MW2 where I've actually felt like playing the multiplayer.

Unfortunately this billion dollar franchise still doesn't have dedicated servers for PC, has severe lag issues and has problems with mouse acceleration.

Since the devs/publishers continue to give zero fucks about PC, I'm inclined to give zero fucks about them.

fffffffffffffffffffffffff

I pressed it and it's not working.

Aptspire:
F-rankly, I enjoyed this video. Well said, Yahtzee.

Will this current batch of CoD writers ever learn to write innovative stories?

Well, considering most of Infinity ward walked out after MW2 was completed, they pretty much had to start from scratch(and bring in sledgehammer for MW3. We've seen the writing in that game).

Treyach, on the other hand, managed to make BLOPS II interesting. So I guess we have something to look forward to next year.

Absimilliard:
...he might be waiting until Unity is actually finished.

In that case he will be waiting until well after the singularity emerges from dark space to consume us all.

Getting back on topic...

Good review as always. I myself have played this entry and going from an overall stance of absolute shite on toast in ghosts to just meh is not only an impressive jump but it is also the highest that these games have ever been since MW2.

And while MW3 did the big suit and the end bit as well they didn't have anti-personnel swarm missiles or anti-tank unguided rockets or unlimited ammo for the heavy machine gun you are using or the ability to breathe underwater so it is a COMPLETELY different thing! /s

Dalisclock:

Alarien:
Does anyone else here now REALLY REALLY want to play Call of Duty vs. Pinhead?

That sounds fantastic. Especially if you get to play as Pinhead.

I was thinking more of CoD: Dark Corners of the Earth. Either set it in the 1920's/1930's or make it a delta green style setting, and at the end, the player gets eaten by Cthulhu. Because at this point, why the hell not?

Bonus points if Peter Dinklage voices Cthulhu.

After Destiny, I'd give Peter Dinklage bonus points if he never does any voice acting ever again.

Do you stay on Kevin Spacey's side? I mean he is your surrogate father, a bit loyalty should be expected.

Bindal:

It's just that, it's so random to get that message. Why "Press F to pay respects"? Why not just "press F"? Or to do a less ambiguous action like "press F to salute"? It sounds like a parody of videogame interactivity, put in middle of a serious moment. It's less of being bad, and more of unintentionally breaking the 4th wall.

Zachary Amaranth:

Teoes:

B...but I have my receipt right here!

*checks the receipt*
This is written in crayon!

Rawbeard:
Do you stay on Kevin Spacey's side? I mean he is your surrogate father, a bit loyalty should be expected.

I wouldn't have thought so; and loyalty to Kevin Spacey only serves to let him betray you harder.

Toblo1:

Annoyance with Yahtzee firing shots at the U.S aside

When did Yahtzee fire shots at the US? EDIT: Because I sure as hell hope it wasn't when he dared to compare True American Heroes™ with the Dirty Sand******s.

I love how hypersensitive the citizens of the second worst developed country in the world are all the time about their precious murka.

Absimilliard:
I was kinda hoping for an Assassin's Creed Unity and/or Rogue review, but he might be waiting until Unity is actually finished.

And for him to actually PLAY the freaking game, then make a video of it (he explained that a lot of times). Never expect a video of a game within the next week of a release.

x EvilErmine x:

Bindal:

Because it's pointless in the context of the game. It's not a QTE, if you don't press x it's not game over, it just sit's there for a while and eventually the game caries on. There's no point to it. The whole thing could easily have just been a cutscene.

Because the ONLY time you get a prompt on the screen are QTEs, right? Because something like a simple "press a button to use this" never existed. Then Half-Life must've been chokeful with those 'not-quick time events' because during the prolog, you have to press the use-button to use an elevator. MUST BE A QTE, BUT YOU DON'T GO GAME OVER IF YOU DON'T DO IT FAST!

Maybe it's different when you actually play the game but when he mentioned the jetpacks and power armour I was sure Yahtzee was going to use the "Like Titanfall but..." stamp (or maybe that should be "Like Planetside 2 but..." since Titanfall ripped off that).

Bindal:
Because the ONLY time you get a prompt on the screen are QTEs, right? Because something like a simple "press a button to use this" never existed. Then Half-Life must've been chokeful with those 'not-quick time events' because during the prolog, you have to press the use-button to use an elevator.

The problem is that these kind of button prompts are normally reserved for actions, like, using your example, calling an elevator. And it makes sense, they are the quickest and easiest way to tell players how to perform the action they want their character to perform and progress the game.
Now, that button prompt in CODAW uses this shorthand in order to make our character - and the player (at least thats the goal) - feel emotion. We're not told that "you can do this by pressing a button now!" but to "press this button to feel sad now!" where it really should not be necessary. If the game makes us feel sad, then it doesn't need it. If it doesn't, then we as players sure as hell don't want to press a button that makes our fake character pay his fake respects. And there are no emotion buttons on human beings that you can press so we feel something.

Maybe people mock it a bit more because it's CoD, but either way it's extremeley desperate, silly and cynical, and it would have been so with any other title.

Bindal:

Absimilliard:

And for him to actually PLAY the freaking game, then make a video of it (he explained that a lot of times). Never expect a video of a game within the next week of a release.

x EvilErmine x:

Bindal:

Because the ONLY time you get a prompt on the screen are QTEs, right? Because something like a simple "press a button to use this" never existed. Then Half-Life must've been chokeful with those 'not-quick time events' because during the prolog, you have to press the use-button to use an elevator. MUST BE A QTE, BUT YOU DON'T GO GAME OVER IF YOU DON'T DO IT FAST!

All of what Gladion said above, plus:

The difference between your Half-Life example and CODAW is that Half-Life never took control away from the player; it was constantly interactive. If you wanted to press the button to call the lift you could and if you didn't, well you could run in circles for a bit or fling rubbish and some person's head. In CODAW, as far as I understand, the game runs through a scripted cutscene where the player is passively watching the screen; then control is returned to the player for a brief period, where all they can really do is Press X to Feels, then control is snatched back away again for the scripted cutscene to continue.

What was the point of letting the player do something for a few seconds, if all they're allowed to do is press Play on the next passive sequence? It's a poor cheesy attempt at the manipulation of emotion, it's a poor attempt at the illusion of interactivity, it doesn't present the player with a choice. It gains nothing from having the player activate the situation when they could've just had the whole thing play from start to finish (or, better, go the Half-Life route and never take control away in the first place).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here