Super BioWare RPG: Origins: Awakening II: Turbo Edition

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I'm finding that this process has infinite recursion.

Ohhhh yes. This is a process I am familiar with.

You know that opening sequence in the first Mass Effect? The one where Shepard walks to the cockpit of the Normandy, then stops and the camera does a pan around to her face. Yeah. I have had to watch that many, many times.

"Please look decent, please look decent, please look decent... here we go... aaaaaaand ARRRGHHH, THE CHEEKBONES! WHY?! RESTART!"

Also seen similarly recently with Wasteland 2, except that Step 1 is really just Step 2 in disguise. Then a Monk comes along and nukes your clothes off, so no only are you fugly but you're also running around in your scants.

Yes, that was Oblivion, in spades. I only ever managed to get around it by modding the races so far beyond lore-friendly that I knew they'd look decent whatever the settings.

I have this problem more often in Bethesda RPGs than in Bioware RPGs

How about playing for 25 hours and realizing you hate playing as a rogue? I'm crying inside.

The problem is you're smothering the wrong people, Erin.

Sounds like me in almost any game with a decent character creator.

I've made so many characters that's never made it past the first time I could see them in proper lighting conditions...

"Eyecolor ain't right [delete]", "Needs higher cheekbones [delete]", "Nah, should have gone with that other hairstyle [delete]", "Needs thicker eyebrows [delete]", "Too fat/skinny [delete]", "Too old/young [delete]", "Don't quite like those lips [delete]", "Need to change the eye shape [delete]", "Not quite the right skin tone [delete]", "Need a bigger/smaller nose [delete]"... the list goes on and on and on.

OH GOD THIS IS SO TRUE. I SPEND HOURS MAKING CHARACTERS, GOING THROUGH AN HOUR OF CUTSCENCES AND THEN HAVING TO REPEAT ALSO MY CAPSLOCK IS BROKEN I AM SO MADFACE WHYNONATURALLIGHTINGINCREATION.

I hope someone makes a mod with real lighting during creation.

Destiny had this issue big time, coupled with not being able to see the back of the head....

My character looked sufficiently cool and mysterious, till I saw him at the Tower where he looked like a ginger twat with a bowl cut and two halves of a mango for a mouth.

Hah.
You guys are unlucky.

I had one shot, and luckily that was the character I chosen.
The look I was going for was "rookie who hasn't done anything good for himself". So he was young, had a few scars, and had eyes that wanted to do something.

DA:I is going good though. :D

What really helped me was turning the gamma all the way up just for the creation part and putting it back for the rest of the game.

Huh, I don't really have these issues since I don't feel my character needs to be pretty, male or female. If they come out looking smoking hot (or as smoking hot as the engine will allow) I play them that way. If not, then I focus less on it. It's a bit of meta roleplaying I guess?

it's so true, 'specially with those woodblock haircuts

Oh yes. Even when I take the time to examine every step on the slider from every angle, something about the character creation screen just doesn't transition properly into the game, and every hero I make looks terrible.

In Mass Effect 1, I gave a black guy ginger hair... like, I don't even know how I did it! I certainly didn't mean to, but it happened!

Yeeeep. I did this with my Inquisition character too, but I just rolled with it. My Dwarf didn't have eyebrows, and I guess I just missed it in the character creation. That and the preset had lips too red for my liking, so I tried to fix it by using pink lipstick. Looked fine in the character creation-- "Oh shit," when I was done. XD

I mean, it makes sense for them to have the character creation taking place in the Fade (and it was a really clever idea), but it kind of stabs your character in the chest with a wooden stake. It doesn't pierce the heart and ruin the character entirely, but it really does kill the experience a bit.

oggebogge91:
How about playing for 25 hours and realizing you hate playing as a rogue? I'm crying inside.

That's how I felt in Dragon Age 2. In Origins I was all about those backstabs, but in DA2 you need that passive ability from the Shadow specialization tree in order to get backstab crits. I didn't know that on my first run and I was just totally bored as a rogue with no backstabs. When I realized that I spend all of my time as Bethany, and then...

Yes, I made sure my second play through of DA2, I made a mage. XD

Reminds me of a recent moment when I retried Eve Online. During my absence they redid the character creator, and since they're morons, they didn't offer an option to keep the old character portraits. So I was forced to play with their Barbie and Ken doll maker, which I hate, for all three characters.

The relevant part? No matter what I did for my main character, one of his eyes points inward. A LOT. It is impossible to get him to look like he doesn't have strabismus, unless I BUY a resculpt from them. For real money. (Edit: totally sent in a petition with a big, clear picture of the problem. Closed without response by CCP.)

So yeah, now he wears his sunglasses in space.

I've never had this problem in any of biowares games, just gotta keep rotating the characters head viewing it from every angle possible making sure nothing is off. The more time you tweak the better the result.

Zhukov:

You know that opening sequence in the first Mass Effect? The one where Shepard walks to the cockpit of the Normandy, then stops and the camera does a pan around to her face. Yeah. I have had to watch that many, many times.

"Please look decent, please look decent, please look decent... here we go... aaaaaaand ARRRGHHH, THE CHEEKBONES! WHY?! RESTART!"

Worst is when you get the creators that are face on only, so you get a great look... and the second you see them from anything other than directly facing you, it all falls apart.

At least one time you will inevitably get frustrated and turn all the sliders to random extremes, unleashing an abomination of a creature on the world.

The worst part? It's when you spend hours trying to get your character looking juuuuust right and then find out that either it's best to play the game entirely in first person or your character is going to be wearing a face concealing helmet most of the game, so it's not like you even get to enjoy the face you meticulously crafted anyway. Or maybe the worst part is to find out that the rest of the body isn't affected by the changes you make to the face so it ends up looking terrible anyway.

This is me in every game with a decent character creator. Its honestly why I actually gave up tryin to make them perfect and just tweaked some defaults a bit. After my fifteenth time failin to make my Khajiit how I wanted her to look I said fuck this noise and just went with a slightly modified preset.

Yeah I usually also modify the presets a bit. And even if it still doesn't look like the way I wanted I usually can't be bothered to do it again. Because the game is either in firstperson or I will just make my character wear a helmet.

I wonder if by trying to make the most ridiculous looking character you accidentally end up with something awesome...

ok this is the 48th time i did step one please make it stop

CaitSeith:
I wonder if by trying to make the most ridiculous looking character you accidentally end up with something awesome...

or you succeed and make the spawn of Satan and a worm

I only actually did this once in Inquisition, and that was because (for whatever reason) the lip gloss setting was maxed out on my male character, and it was like walking around with the sun reflecting off my lips. Redid it and put that bar waaaaaay down. Check your makeup settings guys. My characters skin is not as pale as I would have liked, and there is a weird looking graphical error on my throat from where the Adam's apple should be, but I don't really care. I'm too far in the game now, and I take notice a whole 1% of the time.

I am really glad that they didn't plaster the main character's face on the box art this time though. My problem with Dragon Age 2 and the Mass Effect series is they show the default character in all of the trailers and on the box art, and it just gets a little weird when you make your own character as the voice doesn't seem to fit. I have never made a custom male Shepard in Mass Effect, or a custom male Hawke in Dragon Age 2. Ah, the beauty of Origins and Inquisition.

Urgh, yeah. Not so much for Bioware games for me, but creating a character in Fallout 3 or New Vegas with that teensy tiny screen is such a hassle. Every time I create something that looks decent from the front - when I rotate the camera view - it looks horrendously mangled and punched-in from the side. It's even worse in the actual game.

You can't even have a Qunari with long hair... DISAPPOINTED!!!

...I can't handle this amount of truth.

Zhukov:

Holy god I thought it was just me. For the most part, it was always the goddamn eyebrows.

Skeleon:
Urgh, yeah. Not so much for Bioware games for me, but creating a character in Fallout 3 or New Vegas with that teensy tiny screen is such a hassle. Every time I create something that looks decent from the front - when I rotate the camera view - it looks horrendously mangled and punched-in from the side. It's even worse in the actual game.

Fallout characters are all butt-ugly, and you barely see them anyway. I just put on a face-obscuring helmet and move on with my life.
But in BioWare games, I am positively anal about my character's looks. Eyebrows, eyes, nose and cheekbones will be the death of me.

And that my friends is why i play with the option to keep the helmet on.

Yep. I've had slightly better luck with DA:I it seems. My character still looked way different once the game started, but she sort of came out as a brunette Amy Poehler. So not bad really.

This is why I go with default characters. So much less hassle. Plus I'm just shit at character customization in the first place. ( I am disappoint by the lack of beards on dwarf ladies though. WHEN IS SOMEONE GONNA MAKE THAT A THING!?)

YES!!!, this happened to me in FFXIV recently, although at least that game has the decency of letting you choose a real time location with real lighting to see how your character would truly look in real circumstances.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here