Super BioWare RPG: Origins: Awakening II: Turbo Edition #2

This bugged the hell out of me. Like, why can't I just transfer my DAII details straight over? They're both on Origin? Shit, my DAII has all my DA:O details, it's not like it's in fifty thousand places on my computer guarded by a dragon made out of HTML.

Wait, you can't port it over on PC?

Shanicus:
This bugged the hell out of me. Like, why can't I just transfer my DAII details straight over? They're both on Origin? Shit, my DAII has all my DA:O details, it's not like it's in fifty thousand places on my computer guarded by a dragon made out of HTML.

This actually is really stupid because if you go to their Dragon Age Keep site, you can "import" your characters from your account. I mean all it is, is their name and image but, it's defiantly importing some information, so you're telling me you can't import my decisions too? Hell Origin probably knows what I had for breakfast, yet they can't pull some info from their games?

I'm just going to be a snob and go there and say the only reason they did this is to pander to the next gen. consoles and have a way to bring your save files over, which to be fair is fine by me for console players but, why does it have to be at the expense of PC players. Not my fault I didn't spend money on a $300 paper weight.

Do we get Reb-Blue-Green endings that toss all of that continuity out the window in this one as well? :p

Seriously though, Keep is a cool idea and I like it MUCH better than a simple savegame import. Not only does it not punish you for not hoarding your save files, it lets you make small adjustments without making you play through the previous game(s). I always wished there was something like that for Mass Effect 3 (yes, I know, there was, for the PS4 version).

ProtoChimp:
Wait, you can't port it over on PC?

No you can't. I mentioned it in my post but, all you can "import" your character aka their name and little icon image but, that's it.

Erin's face in panel 2 is the perfect mix of confusion and defeat, with just enough "what have I gotten myself into" to really sell it.

Jandau:
Do we get Reb-Blue-Green endings that toss all of that continuity out the window in this one as well? :p

Seriously though, Keep is a cool idea and I like it MUCH better than a simple savegame import. Not only does it not punish you for not hoarding your save files, it lets you make small adjustments without making you play through the previous game(s). I always wished there was something like that for Mass Effect 3 (yes, I know, there was, for the PS4 version).

I like the concept too, for if you want to quickly throw an import of new decisions to try and see what changes it has but, I think it shouldn't have been the only "solution".

Honestly why can't we have both? I mean you stated right there too that Mass Effect 3 had both, I don't understand why this time around it's such a chore.

Also while the decisions are pretty detailed in the Keep I feel they lose some chances at nuances between games as it'd be unrealistic to ask questions about tons of small decisions or details but, that's something you could potentially do with save imports. Also personal preference but, it's just more immersive and enjoyable to play through the games and dynamically watch your decisions shape the world rather than pulling the lever on the random situation generator 9000

Newhouse:
This actually is really stupid because if you go to their Dragon Age Keep site, you can "import" your characters from your account. I mean all it is, is their name and image but, it's defiantly importing some information, so you're telling me you can't import my decisions too? Hell Origin probably knows what I had for breakfast, yet they can't pull some info from their games?

I'm just going to be a snob and go there and say the only reason they did this is to pander to the next gen. consoles and have a way to bring your save files over, which to be fair is fine by me for console players but, why does it have to be at the expense of PC players. Not my fault I didn't spend money on a $300 paper weight.

No whether this is true or not I don't know but the reason Bioware gave for the keep was to ensure everyone got the decisions and world they wanted, so people that never played the others or for people that lost their saved games etc.

Also because the saved game import never worked right 100% of the time anyway, at least this way you can make sure you get the starting world you want. Handy as well to make minor or single changes to an existing world state, like if you where happy with every decision you made but wanted to see what happened if you made a deal with a Demon in Origins or turned a character over to the Arishok or even change a romance option.

It only imports the face and the name if you logged in with an EA/Bioware/Origin (first two are legacy accounts) when you played, it just takes those from your achievement list.

Is Suchong playing Dragon Age as well? Or is he a responsible fancy rat and doing his tax returns?

J Tyran:

Newhouse:

No whether this is true or not I don't know but the reason Bioware gave for the keep was to ensure everyone got the decisions and world they wanted, so people that never played the others or for people that lost their saved games etc.

Also because the saved game import never worked right 100% of the time anyway, at least this way you can make sure you get the starting world you want. Handy as well to make minor or single changes to an existing world state, like if you where happy with every decision you made but wanted to see what happened if you made a deal with a Demon in Origins or turned a character over to the Arishok or even change a romance option.

It only imports the face and the name if you logged in with an EA/Bioware/Origin (first two are legacy accounts) when you played, it just takes those from your achievement list.

Ya, I mean it's not like I hate the idea don't get me wrong there but, don't see why you can't import them to begin with. Like I said in another comment, Mass Effect 2/3 had both so not sure why we don't have it here.

I think it's just a little unrealistic to expect people to go back through their save games and remember every decision they made. I agree it's cool for tweaking like you said but, I mean it should complement save importing not be the only solution. I mean personally I want to use my character from DA:O on PC but I haven't played that particular character in years, like I remember some of the big decisions but, am I going to remember everything? It kinda just forces you to say 'O well, I guess I'll make it up' and I think that's just disappointing and a little unfair to fans who put a lot of love and time into the previous games.

I mean at the end of the day is, saving or killing the vala during the Dalish quests in DA:O really going to matter for example? No, but it's the little things like that help immersion and enrich the narrative and subjectively I find it takes me out of the experience if I'm doing it in a "tax form" instead of through my actions in the game.

Not discrediting people who like the system, it has it's benefits but, personally I would have liked to see some way to incorporate both methods.

kailus13:
Is Suchong playing Dragon Age as well? Or is he a responsible fancy rat and doing his tax returns?

Suchong's trying to ensure the moleuprising.

As someone that lost all my saves over the years with various failed backups and reformats, I'm glad that there's an option to do it all yourself. That said, there still should have been the option to just import the save file itself.

Newhouse:

J Tyran:

Newhouse:

Ya, I mean it's not like I hate the idea don't get me wrong there but, don't see why you can't import them to begin with. Like I said in another comment, Mass Effect 2/3 had both so not sure why we don't have it here.

I think it's just a little unrealistic to expect people to go back through their save games and remember every decision they made. I agree it's cool for tweaking like you said but, I mean it should complement save importing not be the only solution. I mean personally I want to use my character from DA:O on PC but I haven't played that particular character in years, like I remember some of the big decisions but, am I going to remember everything? It kinda just forces you to say 'O well, I guess I'll make it up' and I think that's just disappointing and a little unfair to fans who put a lot of love and time into the previous games.

I mean at the end of the day is, saving or killing the vala during the Dalish quests in DA:O really going to matter for example? No, but it's the little things like that help immersion and enrich the narrative and subjectively I find it takes me out of the experience if I'm doing it in a "tax form" instead of through my actions in the game.

Not discrediting people who like the system, it has it's benefits but, personally I would have liked to see some way to incorporate both methods.

Oh yeah I wouldn't disagree with you, a direct save import would be lot more convenient for a lot of players and I can certainly see why you, me or anyone else would want it. Even though the Keep is very appealing and has some great functionality (Varrics storytelling is a nice touch and handy for people new to the series) when it comes to making adjustments to a world state having the option for both importing and having the Keep would have been better, a combination of both would have been great.

Firstly for the convenience and secondly for being able to upload your saves and then making a few changes, having to completely fill it each time you very different world state is a bit much. Its daunting for those new to the series and confusing to people that cannot remember the context for each and every question or decision, it made me scratch my head a time or two when I couldn't remember something or for things I never encountered like events in DA2s DLC.

Also the questions are bit too specific, its almost foreshadowing some events in Inquisition. Like when it asks a random question about a specific, minor and seemingly irrelevant action in Origins like the Halla you mention. Why the hell would it ask about that rather than something that seemed much more important? So it makes you wonder whats going to happen.

I will say that for my own personal preference I prefer the Keep to just having a save import, I like being able to change minor details and having the option of being able to make a completely new world state in a few minutes rather than having to play through the games and/or DLC each time. I was a big fan and over the years I have played Origins and its DLC many times with each race and class and different "personalities" but I don't have saves for every possible outcome and I didn't enjoy DA2 enough to replay it several times or to buy DLC for it, at least with the Keep I can just create a world state and don't need to rely on a 3rd party save editor that doesn't always give you enough options and the Keep seems to cover everything that matters.

Console players don't even have the option of a 3rd party save editor and I guess Bioware didn't want to attempt the technical challenge of trying a direct save import between last gen consoles and the current machines, why they couldn't have it so you can import them to the Keep for editing I don't know. There must be some way of backing up your saves to a cloud service on the Xbox 360 or PS3 if you tie the game to your Origin account as it already exports your character list and achievements there as well as to your PSN/XBL account, I guess it would have had to patch it in to DA:O and DA2 and didn't want to.

But having both an import and the Keep so you make changes to an existing save would have been better and more convenient for people that are not interested in fiddling with the Keep.

As much as I like the idea of The Keep, it definitely has some issues.
Like how it claims that Alistair cannot be king while also killing the Archdemon and fathering Morrigan's child.
Uhh, guys? That's exactly what happened in my playthrough of DA:O.
Hell, the World State I had to settle for is actually the one that's impossible, since apparantly my hero killed the Archdemon without fathering Morrigan's child (since she's a woman) and is still alive, something which cannot happen.

Shocksplicer:
it definitely has some issues.
Like how it claims that Alistair cannot be king while also killing the Archdemon and fathering Morrigan's child.

Must have gotten bugged when you made that world state, my current world state has my Warden as Alistairs Queen after he made Morrigan pregnant with the Old God baby.

The Warden being alive without Morrigan (seen to be) having the Old God baby is kind of canon already though, Bioware let people import a dead Warden into Awakenings with a hand wave explanation so I guess they are continuing with that.

Shocksplicer:
Hell, the World State I had to settle for is actually the one that's impossible, since apparantly my hero killed the Archdemon without fathering Morrigan's child (since she's a woman) and is still alive, something which cannot happen.

If Morrigan's ritual was completed, then the Warden is automatically the one to land the final blow on the Archdemon in the final cutscene. You can't have Alistair perform the ritual AND be the one to kill the Archdemon.

Your latter case definitely sound like a bug, unless you have Alistair performing the ritual there too.

If I remember the discussions properly (its been awhile), it would be a lot of work to get imports to work properly and making The Keep was the only way they could thing of to fix the problems with a direct import since Dragon Age: Origins was never designed to export its saves to the next game like Mass Effect was and the save game structure is all over the place causing import issues. It was one of the reasons why there was only a couple of choices moved forward into Dragon Age 2 from Origins because they couldn't find all the variables for all the choices. Then with Dragon Age 2 you have all kinds of incorrect imported variables such as Zevran being healthy if you picked the dialogue option to kill him.

Now the other reason is probably money, instead of devoting everything to one single import solution they would have to develop two one for the internet and one using Frostbite and it still probably would require The Keep anyway to fix all the incorrect or missing variables.

Pretty much everyone trying to make sense on the continuity of Mass Effect 3 for Wii U.

Shocksplicer:

I think he had to meet Goldanna (gets the hardened state, can be king) for that to work. I remember helping my sister with it a few days ago and that solved it iirc.

...and yet Leilana lives. Bioware don't give a fuck about your continuity, it is their continuity that matters.

Well, there were already bugs and mistakes regarding save transfers between Origins and DA2, besides, it allows one to tweak their backstories without having to replay the whole games (just finished replaying Origins and DA2 myself: started last summer and it took me 200 hours to go from my Warden's harrowing to Hawke's final showdown against Meredith, although going on higher difficulties and a defensive play-style -especially in DA2- may be the reason why it took so long)

Considering the import bugs I've seen in previous Bioware games, I'm quite pleased that I can use the Keep to import my main game's choices when I get Inquisition, I've even made two other world states just to see what effect different decisions have. The other reason I'm glad to have the Keep is that the last time I tried to make my human noble Warden king, the game had the dumbest bug that made Alastair king instead, but now I don't have to play through the entire game and risk more bugs.

More like "Super BioWare RPG: Origins: Awakening II: Turbo TAX Edition!"

Eh? Eh?

I'll sit back down now.

Jandau:

I can see why its annoying, but I'm glad because you can at least get everything "right" which is nice for a perfectionist like me (although I had a hard time remembering shit...)

Mass Effect really had nothing except some DLC for the PS3 version

octafish:
...and yet Leilana lives. Bioware don't give a fuck about your continuity, it is their continuity that matters.

without giving too much away what was "supposed" to happen to liliana? I never actually recruited her in DA:O

octafish:

That and she comes off as a total bitch

Vault101:

octafish:

without giving too much away what was "supposed" to happen to liliana? I never actually recruited her in DA:O

At a certain points in Origins each companion has 'crisis moments', which depending on your decisions can make them leave or attack you. In the case of Liliana's, people were angry that the game didn't track one of the completely random finishing animations in which you decapitate your enemy, so raged when she showed up alive and well in DA2.

Critical Miss could turn into this for the rest of its run & I would be happy

-M

Shocksplicer:

That's weird because I swear that is exactly what I chose (assuming you mean the Warden killed the archdemon) in Dragon Age Keep and it gave me no problems. Sounds like a glitch to me.

Imre Csete:

I think he had to meet Goldanna (gets the hardened state, can be king) for that to work. I remember helping my sister with it a few days ago and that solved it iirc.

Nope, Alistair can still marry Anora and become king if he is unhardened. The only differences are that he is less enthusiastic about becoming king and in the epilogue doesn't show much interest in dealing with the political nature of his position.

Wait, can I import my Xbox 360 save files?
I've been building my dream play through for this exact thing.
Or do I have to go through the Keep even though I'm still last gen?

Come on guys, they would have to fix certain things to make sure they can use recurring characters. I mean DA:O was truly fantastic in the possible variation in the end story. Like too many possibilities.

I mean you literally can become the King I think.

Or do I have to go through the Keep even though I'm still last gen?

You have to go through the keep.
I don't mind the keep much: it might be a problem if you forgot who did what, but if your memory of the previous games is still fresh, you can easily translate it to the tapestry. Now whether the keep details correctly transfer back to your game or not...

Jandau:

I never understood (well, I partially did, but anyway) the hate over Mass Effect 3's ending. It had already told you the ending of the various races arcs. You spent the entire game rounding up everything. Yeah, the endings were all the same with different shades of colour. That should only matter to someone who likes pointless cutscenes in games, and considering this series requires a three game playthrough for replays to work and the first game is a drawn out, poorly directed, cliche ridden snore-fest that takes the same time to finish as the other two combined, that isn't likely to happen soon anyway.

My point is, you know what the choice will do. You know the state and result of the universe after all the decisions. What was shown after the ending decision is actually irrelevant. Sure it could go on about the results of all your choices, but it'd just be repeating what has long since been said, and ruin some of the mystery.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.