Legend of Korra: A Fantastic Finale With a Perfect Ending

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I don't know how i feel about it. To me at least the ending felt like a non committal slap in the face, then again the whole series sort of had that feeling. I know it spawns from the fact that the people holding the money jerked them around so much, we want a 12 ep mini series....naawwww make it two seasons, after the first was in production, Actually can we get two more seasons on top of that? Working with people who jerk you around like that sort of made a disjointed mess of a series. Granted the last two seasons were much MUCH better than the fist two, but that just goes to show how being told 'make two seasons at once' goes a long goddamn way.

As for the ending itself... Well it goes back to the non-commitment for me, if you look back at the past two seasons with the thought that they have a budding romance it sort of becomes a different show but when they finally get to the end, and it is just them looking each other in the eyes with hand holding... It felt hollow for all that subtle buildup. I understand a company like nick does not want to risk getting people angry, they cannot be shown to stand for anything, so they stand for nothing. But it feels like nick is the reason Korra came off as worse than TLAB, which is sad, cause there were hints of true brilliance in this series.

All in all thought, i am sad to see this be the send off to the Avatar universe. It deserved better and although korra tried, the corporate meddling was so very clear.

crazygameguy4ever:
more of people maknig up things about Korra and Asumi being gay..it's not cannon... both girls are straight.. people are reading waaaay to much into nothing..

So many great parts to this finale... the battle against the mech had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Didn't expect that!

Regarding Korrasami, I don't think the last shot was a "Now they are in a relationship and dating" shot... it's more like the shot of Aang and Katara in the "Cave of Two Lovers" (rather than at the end of the series). It's saying... look, there's potential here for something and both of them recognize it.

It was a very gutsy move and I'm surprised and super glad that that's what they ended it with.

Question:
What do those two finale Chinese characters mean?

There wasn't enough build-up for the Korra-Asami "loving look" to mean very much to me... but then I am one of those people who needs things like that spelled out in bright flaming letters when it happens in real life so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

I am VERY glad that Korra didn't end with Mako though.

Tanis:
Question:
What do those two finale Chinese characters mean?

I think it can be interpreted as "The End"

I'm sad. Not because it is over but because it was a bad series over all. When the newness wears off and people start to look past all the razzmatazz all they will see is a disjointed poorly written mess. This series could have been great but it wasn't and that sucks.

There is nothing like a mediocre show doing something progressive in order to stay relevant, it'll only be remembered b/c of this ending I bet on it. Legend of Korra never felt as deliberate and nuanced compared to Avatar: Last Airbender, seems like ship is something the writers came up w/ during the writing of the second to last season.

crazygameguy4ever:
more of people maknig up things about Korra and Asumi being gay..it's not cannon... both girls are straight.. people are reading waaaay to much into nothing..

Before this finale I was exactly the same way. In fact I didn't even know about the Korrasami conspirators until "The Blush". People who were going on about "The Blush" were bloody silly. People blush in cartoons about being complimented all the time. They are just galpals guys!

But in this episode it couldn't be any clearer unless they actually SAID "I love you". The song that plays over it? "The Avatar's Love", the camera swinging up to "The End" at the end? Exactly the same shot used at the end of Airbender. Also why WOULD the shows final moments focus on a relatively insignificant side character like Asami unless it was, yknow, "Important". I think the creators intentions are pretty crystal clear myself and I was never even a Korrasami conspirator before, I thought it was just a bunch of sad people reading too much into cartoons.

Anybody who says it's all circumstantial must know deep down that if the writers and animators were allowed (which they damn well are not) to show two women kissing they absolutely would. If they had shown that? Probably never would have aired.

I demand a 3rd series, I want to see the earth origin Avatar live in this new world that Korra has created.

that or an MMORPG that plays like a brawler and the Avatar is a character in the background who appears in different battlefields/areas during the day.

Also I don't feel that the Asami Korra was forced, they had many moments between them throughout the seasons.

Mike Hoffman:
Hey all. I've had an absolute blast writing these reviews and reading your comments. I just wanted to thank all of you who have come back here to read these, week after week. I am really going to miss this series. Well, I would, except I'll probably just rewatch it and ATLA every other year.

Thanks again. You are all fantastic.

Thanks again for your review write-ups of this series! They were truly worth reading after watching whichever episode(s) it was referring to... I may not have commented on all of them, but just reading them was still worth it in my opinion...

All in all, this was a great series to watch from start to finish, from its TV debut on Nick to its "online viewing only" premieres to [kinda] right back on TV at times, just now currently on one of Nick's side channel (Nicktoons), if I had to choose to re-watch this again, I will happily abridge...

Mr Companion:

crazygameguy4ever:

Before this finale I was exactly the same way. In fact I didn't even know about the Korrasami conspirators until "The Blush". People who were going on about "The Blush" were bloody silly. People blush in cartoons about being complimented all the time. They are just galpals guys!

But in this episode it couldn't be any clearer unless they actually SAID "I love you". The song that plays over it? "The Avatar's Love", the camera swinging up to "The End" at the end? Exactly the same shot used at the end of Airbender. Also why WOULD the shows final moments focus on a relatively insignificant side character like Asami unless it was, yknow, "Important". I think the creators intentions are pretty crystal clear myself and I was never even a Korrasami conspirator before, I thought it was just a bunch of sad people reading too much into cartoons.

Anybody who says it's all circumstantial must know deep down that if the writers and animators were allowed (which they damn well are not) to show two women kissing they absolutely would. If they had shown that? Probably never would have aired.

And if they did kiss it would be terrible. There was no build to it like everything else in this series. They always tell and don't show. I have a hard time believing any of them are even really friends let alone soon to be romantic interest. What a mess.

I think I just find it odd how Korra and Asami became a thing in the first place. Korra basically stole Mako from Asami and then showed a bit of derision towards each other in the first season. I guess the hardcore shippers latched onto the idea of them being an item after they showed a bit a friendship towards each other. In the end the relationship as it is makes them feel like tactical lesbians where they can make it subtle as possible to the point they can deny it while winking heartily towards the shippers, basically they're having their cake and eating too. Either way, seems to be working out for them, everyone is praising the episode (some even saying it's a masterpiece) because how oh so "progressive" it is when it was honestly weaker than most of season 4. As I said before, I just really wished they ignored all the romance bullshit like they have been doing for the past season and a half. But instead they decided to tack it on at the last possible moment to generate as much possible discussion afterwards.

K12:
There wasn't enough build-up for the Korra-Asami "loving look" to mean very much to me... but then I am one of those people who needs things like that spelled out in bright flaming letters when it happens in real life so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

I am VERY glad that Korra didn't end with Mako though.

lol. Its alright. In real life I suck at that too. On screen though I've gotten better at it. Its the subtle stuff. Like just the good talking chemistry they had in season 3. Who Korra chose to write to exclusively or the small blush she had when Asami complimented her new hair style. Thing is its the small stuff that put that notion in people's minds. Now I think the reason people blew up about it being real is the expectations. Sure small steps and hints at a relationship with Korra and Asami but its on Nick.

No one believes for one second that you will actually do that. So you can get away with teases like Korra's small blush and stuff because its a tease and they've been known to tease us before such as with the story of Zuko's mother in the very first season. That's why when they did it people blew up. Our expectations of what would happen were replaced by the something we wished would happen and because of their natural chemistry since day 1 it was very believable and not forced. If you know your audience and know what their expectations will be you can very effectively pull the rug out from under them and have them in the palm of your hand basically. Again a lot of this just came from catching the subtle stuff which you admitted when it comes to this you need it spelled out.

I don't know where I was really going with this. Maybe a lesson on learning to catch subtle cues in animation or still finding a way to gush at how expertly this was done at least to me it was expertly done. I think the one thing people will agree on. These guys had balls of freaking steal.....scratch that. Balls of adamantium with the stuff they got away with in this entire series.

I was kindof disappointed that Korra didn't regain her connections to the previous avatars, but it's enough of a satisfying ending. Considering I hadn't seen Avatar since the first book was broadcast on Nickelodeon however many years ago, it was a good way to end a month of watching the entire series.

Will I re-watch it again? After I re-watch all 400-some episodes of Dragonball again.

It was an okay finale. Not a masterpiece and not even close to ATLA's grande finale. Nice Book Ends ending, though i think i like s3 finale better.

karloss01:

Also I don't feel that the Asami Korra was forced, they had many moments between them throughout the seasons.

It wasn't forced, but it didn't seem planned from the very beginning like some people implied either. It felt to me the writers left an open door for Korra/Asami relationship to go this way with s3 ending, and decided to take it to the next level in s4.

That being said, i'm still sad it has ended. Curse you withdrawal syndrome.

I am seriously bummed that this may be the end of the Avatar animated series. It may not be the end of the universe, but all the games are terrible and there's a movie we don't talk about. To me they are the perfect cartoon for the sum of their parts... so yeah, it's just kind of sad.

As far as the finale goes, you could say it was Korra turned up to 11. Thoroughly enjoyable, and only slightly blemished by the fact that it wasn't the ending the series deserved. Also coming into the last 2 minutes spoiler free, was like taking an arrow right in the feels. It really makes more sense out of the whole series. I also don't think it counts as a spoiler in a series with so little emphasis on romance, as much as relationships and emotion.

Perfect ending really sums it up. However, if Korra would have wound up with Mako it might have soured the series for me.

There is a similarity when comparing both the ATLA and LOK. It is a story of the individual who is different when comparing to the past Avatar and how they have to cope with the obstacle on their own, when the guidance of the past Avatar isn't always the best for them, more like the reference of what an Avatar could be.

Aang is a little kid and become the last Airbender, not knowing how a kid will able to save the world. He is still considered a naive boy in the start of the show. Long enough, he learns how to be mature for a young age. The comic shows more of his challenge of being a young Avatar. This may sound like a typical story and most people may think it is not sound that exciting in paper, but damn the show done everything perfectly.

When comparing to Korra, she can be considered a tough but not quiet matured Avatar even though she already is quite impressive in mastering the elements. She's like the spoiled brat who hasn't yet to learn what to do or not do when making decisions and very vulnerable when coping with her consequences and experience, just like how a teenage girl usually does. Plus, as being the next Avatar after Aang, with how the world is quite different than it used to, it is understandable that she hasn't yet know what obstacle she has to face.

This is what similar about Aang and Korra, their challenge is different but as a kid or family show, they kind of doing their job right. So when looking at how Korra and Asami holding hands, let's just say how that's what young females do. Sometimes they want the time with their own and Mako and Bolin may considered best friend, but they are not girls like them. The focus of the whole LOK is how Korra, as a girl, a vulnerable one at that, learn from her experience to become much better, and Asami can be the best support and reflection for her. This can also be applied for Kuvira who is also a female and have the same reflection with Korra.

I write this to make sure that the SHIPPING is kinda pointless, even by the show writer's standard, because there are no more Legend Of Korra, maybe there's potential for the comic to be publish, and the conclusion maybe come from there. But, we'll have to wait of course. If there is another Avatar show, I wonder what he or she be like. If there is one, hoping for a more ruthless Avatar that can consider difficult to be noble. Just show a different kind of story, because I don't remember the requirement to be an Avatar as a good person.

Mr Companion:

crazygameguy4ever:

sorry but your opinion is wrong Korra and Assmai are both straight.. their not gay or Bi.. their female best friends, nothing more

crazygameguy4ever:

sorry but your opinion is wrong Korra and Assmai are both straight.. their not gay or Bi.. their female best friends, nothing more

Bryke himself linked an article that praises them for a homosexual / bisexual couple. You can shout your denial but if the creator stand by this then you are in the wrong.

Pickapok:

crazygameguy4ever:

Both girls are straight? Says who? Because they both dated Mako? You are aware that bisexuality is a thing, right?

I always thought they were both Makosexual or something. Or maybe they were both always lesbians but Mako was such a stunning specimen that he makes everyone want him regardless of their sexual orientation. I should probably stop talking now.

crazygameguy4ever:

Mr Companion:

crazygameguy4ever:

Eric Larson:

Pickapok:

crazygameguy4ever:

Both girls are straight? Says who? Because they both dated Mako? You are aware that bisexuality is a thing, right?

I always thought they were both Makosexual or something. Or maybe they were both always lesbians but Mako was such a stunning specimen that he makes everyone want him regardless of their sexual orientation. I should probably stop talking now.

I honestly think they are both gay. The only guy either of them has ever dated was Mako and for both of them it was a short lived disaster. Almost as if they were desperately unhappy in a heterosexual relationship but couldn't figure out why.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time it took someone a little while to realize their orientation.

AntiChri5:

Eric Larson:

Pickapok:

I honestly think they are both gay. The only guy either of them has ever dated was Mako and for both of them it was a short lived disaster. Almost as if they were desperately unhappy in a heterosexual relationship but couldn't figure out why.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time it took someone a little while to realize their orientation.

Yeah. I mean the ending is ambiguous yet at the same time them coupling up is implied with a sledgehammer as another thread put it. To me they both are straight up gay. Sure it means they wouldn't be any guy's waifu or whatever but its still awesome. God I really can't wait to see what these guys will do next. Hopefully something just as awesome. If Avatar The Last Airbender was creating a perfectly realized adventure to save the world that is a send up of Japanese animation Korra is seeing just how much they can actually get away with on screen and when you think about what happened in all 4 books these guys didn't have balls of steel. They had stones of fucking adamantium.

KazeAizen:
Sure it means they wouldn't be any guy's waifu or whatever but its still awesome.

You underestimate the power of the Waifu Wars.

For whatever reason, I've started equating my feelings on this finale to Schubert's Ave Maria. I didn't think I'd be sad that it's done, because I really, really, REALLY hated a lot of it, but now that it's over, I do find myself a bit disappointed that there won't be any more. I think a lot of it has to do with the whole Korrasami angle FINALLY being vindicated and now we're in the perfect position to explore the future of their relationship, and... nothing. I'm still of the opinion that the entire season should have just been The Misadventures of Korra and Asami.

So, I found this on another site and I think it's a great 'get over it' to the 'OMG THAR JUS FRINEDS!' peoples.

Yes, no, maybe, pineapples?

Just imagine Mako's ego. Two women he dated and both end up gay/bi for each other. That's gona leave a mark. hehehe.*

Poor Mako.

I do feel somewhat compelled to watched S3 and 4 now.

*: This is a joke JIC the overly sensitive people out there miss it.

I love how they went the Pacific Rim direction at the end - subtle, poignant and open ended. Are they an item? I personally think so, but it's not explicitly stated or shown on the show. It is left up to the audience to decide the depth of the relationship. And while I personally see it as a sexual relationship (or, at the very least, a loving relationship that goes beyond friendship), I can respect others who say that I'm reading too much into it.

In some ways I see this as the exact opposite of the Mass Effect trilogy and LOST tv show endings; here, the ending makes me willing to gloss over most of the problems I've had with the show from day 1. I've been a fairly vocal critic of the show, particularly Season 1 and part of Season 2, but I think I'm going to look far more favourably on the show when I rewatch it in the future simply because the ending was pretty much perfect to me. I'm glad I stuck with it through thick and thin.

Tanis:
So, I found this on another site and I think it's a great 'get over it' to the 'OMG THAR JUS FRINEDS!' peoples.

That Adam Poole guy goes by the pseudonym crazygameguy4ever on these here forums, and he's spent the past couple days vehemently refuting any possibility of romantic subtext between Korra and Asami (to say nothing of its assured certainty). It's really quite the sight to see. The level of denial fueling that sentiment is nearly laudable.

I admit, I'm torn on the final pairing. On the one hand, I hate that it reinforces the old "if a girl has masculine interests/tomboyish personality traits of course she's gay!" stereotype, and Korra and Asami fit the tired "manly girl and girly girl" roles.

On the other hand, it's awesome because we almost never see same-sex romance in the mainstream, and the two of them had one of the better developed relationships on the show (though that's not saying much. in both ATLA and Korra, the writers have fumbled at romance)

I think my reaction is a net positive though. I enjoyed the feelings of the ending, and my only real complaint was that Kuvira's plot got tied up a bit suddenly.

Tono Makt:
I love how they went the Pacific Rim direction at the end - subtle, poignant and open ended. Are they an item? I personally think so, but it's not explicitly stated or shown on the show. It is left up to the audience to decide the depth of the relationship. And while I personally see it as a sexual relationship (or, at the very least, a loving relationship that goes beyond friendship), I can respect others who say that I'm reading too much into it.

In some ways I see this as the exact opposite of the Mass Effect trilogy and LOST tv show endings; here, the ending makes me willing to gloss over most of the problems I've had with the show from day 1. I've been a fairly vocal critic of the show, particularly Season 1 and part of Season 2, but I think I'm going to look far more favourably on the show when I rewatch it in the future simply because the ending was pretty much perfect to me. I'm glad I stuck with it through thick and thin.

Its been said numerous times that season 1 and 2 suffered a lot from production shenanigans on the part of Nick. Like many good franchises or stories Avatar The Last Airbender was lightning in a bottle. No way in hell you are going to top that. So you don't. If Avatar is a perfectly crafted fantasy epic for kids to call their Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings then Korra I choose to view as the creators going. "Let's see just how much we can get away with." When you go back over Korra the things they did start to add up and when I finished the final tally my jaw dropped because I literally could not believe the stones these guys had to do what they did. I'm even including that scene where Korra is poisoned which is the closest the series has come to horror since "The Puppetmaster" yet I find it creepier because its psychological horror. Needless to say I think once its out TLA and Korra will be one of those things that will just be cool to watch cover to cover.

My take on the Korrasami ending is that the creators certainly INTENDED for it to be a romantic ending. So the relationship is canon. But the build up to it is lacking. Writing letters and compliments on hair do not a relationship make. I've got a best friend I could talk to for hours. When he starts doing a random jig in the middle of a room, I have no problem going up there and dancing right by him. No other person, man or woman, in the world would I do that with. However, neither of us is gay. It's just what being best friends is about. Korra and Asami having a romantic relationship feels forced because there's been little build up and what little there has been is indistinguishable from close friendship.

I chalk it up as the creators doing their best within the restrictions set on them. After all of the bull shit Nickelodeon has forced on them for LoK's run, no fucking way were they going to get the greenlight for a lesbian romance in a mainstream kid's show. I don't hold that against them. I think that ending moment was beautiful. But it isn't all that it should be, and that's a shame.

The rest of the ending is great. Everybody has moments, General Iroh finally shows up again even if he is dreadfully underutilized, Hobo Guy shows up and is WONDERFULLY utilized, the animation, visuals, and sound were all wonderful. A great cap to a great series. The series isn't for everyone, but I can appreciate it. I don't know if its better than The Last Airbender, but I love it more. TLA always felt like rather standard Saturday cartoon fare. Stunningly executed, but still just standard. TLA aimed to be more thoughtful, more emotional. It didn't always work, but I appreciate the effort, and when it does work it shines like no other cartoon I can think of, except maybe for the episode "Code of Hero" in Beast Wars.

While quite the bumpy ride I think Korra ended pretty strongly with these last two seasons.
I enjoyed it and I actually came to really like Korra as a character.

As for the Korra Asami thing being somewhat understated I'm going to be cynical and guess it's probably so subtle and understated because that's just how much they were able to get away with. Making an incredibly obvious mutual attraction between same sex characters was probably not allowed so they were forced to work with implications and such to build their romance.
That last scene clinches it for me though.

This episode was atrocious. In fact most of the series sucks compared to the original. Most things they did to differentiate them failed miserably.
It's weird though, season one had a great start, season two had a great middle, and season 3 had a great end. Season 4 was mediocre at best but if you took the best parts of the first 3 and made 4 seasons out of that, you'd have an amazing series.

I dont know, all the speculation just makes me think of this

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.