Critical Missmass

Ha, aren't we all blowing money fast! And I'm having to join in the return day / reverse boxing day festivities with some stuff I bought on Wednesday.

I never really mind lazy grey art days because cory's drawing is pretty damn good.

Do people actually use a controller when playing on a PC, and in this case an FPS as well?

I've seen a few similar depictions around and often ask myself that questions whenever that image pops up.

Or maybe it's just meant as a catch-all depiction for any type of video-game.

Anyhow, Happy Holidays to everyone.

Die Hard is in the center what's off to the left?

Vendor-Lazarus:
Do people actually use a controller when playing on a PC, and in this case an FPS as well?

I play MechWarrior 2 on PC with a GameCube controller, so yes.

"Now I Have A Machine Gun !
Ho-Ho-Ho"

Best weapon power up ever (to read slowly with a slight german accent)

Briantb:

Far Cry 2/3/4 but probably 4, convoy mission.

Hans, Bubby, I'm your white knight.

Why does Erin have a PS4?

Ryallen:
Why does Erin have a PS4?

She's being even handed: on the left there's an XboxOne and a WiiU.

{Gordon_4}:
{She's being even handed: on the left there's an XboxOne and a WiiU.}

I didn't notice that. But my point was that I thought she was a PC gamer and didn't play on consoles.

I couldn't tell what that was on the right screen. Is it a Skype call, or is she watching a snuff film?

Darth_Payn:
I couldn't tell what that was on the right screen. Is it a Skype call, or is she watching a snuff film?

She is watching "Die Hard", the original Christmas Movie.

Vendor-Lazarus:

I've seen a few similar depictions around and often ask myself that questions whenever that image pops up.

I can't imagine myself playing the PC version of Dark Souls 1/2 without a controller, so yes, quite a few of us do use a controller on PC... I even like to play some FPS with it, not all mind you, of course it's impossible to play Tribes with a controller.

SupahGamuh:

Vendor-Lazarus:

I can't imagine myself playing the PC version of Dark Souls 1/2 without a controller, so yes, quite a few of us do use a controller on PC... I even like to play some FPS with it, not all mind you, of course it's impossible to play Tribes with a controller.

Thanks for answering, though I have to ask a follow-up question to that if you care to humor me.
Is it because it's console-port games or because the .."control scheme" is sluggish/consolized and works equally well with a controller or keyboard and mouse?

My experiences with consoles are limited to NES and Playstation 1, so I'm not up to date with the current generation.
I've mostly played PC games and couldn't fathom a controller being superior to keyboard/mouse, especially when it comes to FPS games and similarly mouse sensitive games.
I do get that racing or fighting games, amongst others can be enjoyed with a controller to a greater extent than keyboard/mouse even though those work as well.

I also didn't catch the consoles in the comic, I just thought she was gaming on the PC and (sigh) "watching" a movie in the background. My bad.

octafish:

Briantb:

Far Cry 2/3/4 but probably 4, convoy mission.

Hans, Bubby, I'm your white knight.

I must have missed 60 minutes...

Vendor-Lazarus:
Is it because it's console-port games or because the .."control scheme" is sluggish/consolized and works equally well with a controller or keyboard and mouse?

I do get that racing or fighting games, amongst others can be enjoyed with a controller to a greater extent than keyboard/mouse even though those work as well.

I like to think I'm 50/50 towards playing either with M+KB and a controller, obviously I'm not playing an RTS or a MOBA with a controller, but neither I'm playing a racing game or a fighting game with M+KB.

As for the FPSes that I like to play with a controller (single player though, with multiplayer M+KB is a must for me), sometimes I just find it more comfortable to play with a controller, even if it means losing a lot more and not pulling off headshots left and right.

As for ports... yeah, sadly most are pretty shoddy and don't even bother to change the control scheme from it's console version, so I just play it with a controller and be done with it.

Some things just work better with a controller. I played Arkham Asylum and City on PC with a controller, because quite simply, that's what they were made for. I tend to like the fact that I can have more control over the graphics on my PC, but some of the best games were made with console controls in mind, and that is the most enjoyable way to play them. FPS I usually prefer mouse and KB, but in the end, everyone has their preferred set up, and as long as the game is fun, you just go with it.

SupahGamuh:

Vendor-Lazarus:

I like to think I'm 50/50 towards playing either with M+KB and a controller, obviously I'm not playing an RTS or a MOBA with a controller, but neither I'm playing a racing game or a fighting game with M+KB.

As for the FPSes that I like to play with a controller (single player though, with multiplayer M+KB is a must for me), sometimes I just find it more comfortable to play with a controller, even if it means losing a lot more and not pulling off headshots left and right.

As for ports... yeah, sadly most are pretty shoddy and don't even bother to change the control scheme from it's console version, so I just play it with a controller and be done with it.

Ah, I see. Thanks again for answering my questions.

I have used other consoles at friends and no matter what console controller it was I always came away with my fingers hurting, be it the insides of my palms, my pinkies, my thumbs or my index fingers. ,)

SupahGamuh:

Vendor-Lazarus:

Sad but true. Some game styles just lend themselves better to a controller, but all to often you have to play a console port with a gamepad because they were too lazy/cheap to properly change the control scheme to fit a PC. It's a real shame honestly.

Die Hard and Far Cry 4, this is actually exactly what I was doing on Christmas day. There was also How the Saints Save Christmas and some World of Warcraft.

Where's the um . . . joke?

Vendor-Lazarus:

Absolutely. I enjoy most games more with a controller, it's better than hunching over the keyboard. About the only time I will switch to keyboard/mouse is either when I have no choice or there's a competitive advantage (i.e. multiplayer FPS or most MMOs).

EDIT: I spend 8 hour a day at work with the mouse.....probably have some looming carpal tunnel issues because of it. A controller lets me mix it up at home.

camazotz:

Vendor-Lazarus:

Absolutely. I enjoy most games more with a controller, it's better than hunching over the keyboard. About the only time I will switch to keyboard/mouse is either when I have no choice or there's a competitive advantage (i.e. multiplayer FPS or most MMOs).

EDIT: I spend 8 hour a day at work with the mouse.....probably have some looming carpal tunnel issues because of it. A controller lets me mix it up at home.

Wow, I had no idea that there were so many people enjoying PC games with a controller (just by judging from the responses in this thread).
So long as people have fun with it, it doesn't really matter though.
I admit that I'm a bit more fond of the Keyboard and Mouse when playing PC games.
Something something about added options and precision, yadda yadda ,)

Thanks for answering!

Oh, I just had to add this captcha.."Danish robot dancers"..
I don't think I've ever seen a more nonsense phrase from our soon to be skynet overlord.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.