Zero Punctuation: Top 5 Games of 2014

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Top 5 Games of 2014

This week, Zero Punctuation takes a look at the top 5 best and worst games of 2014.

Watch Video

Haven started Alien: Isolation a few days ago as well as playing through Wolfenstein: The New Order I'm delighted to see them appear (on whatever list they happened to be on because spoilers).

I think I like the good interval thing best of all, the homage to that one particular Let's Drown Out was all the joy in the world I needed seeing as it never ceased to make me laugh.

Funny how the bottom 3 were all reboots or tie-ins, but I don't think anyone would be surprised by that. On the other hand, the top 3 were also tie-ins or reboots (I think, not sure about Wolfenstein), which is much more interesting.

A worst 5 game list without COD? It's a mircle!

Actually yeah 2014 has be a low point for gaming in general with AAA games shooting themselves in the foot time and again:Looks at destiny:

I'd cringe at the lack of Titanfall on the Top 5, but I think we can all agree that the lack of a singleplayer mode with a story more complicated than "war happens between military and militia" makes it a quadruple-amputee of a game. It's still attractive, but it just can't go on a walk on the beach with you.

For the record, I think I see a trend of me not really getting into 1 game in the ZP Top 5 per year. These games, in chronological order, are: Red Dead Redemption, inFamous 2, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Papers Please, and Dark Souls. My lack of fondness for them is mostly based on difficulty, except for inFamous 2 on account of lacking a PS3.

Oh, and...

Objectable:
COME BACK SONIC GENERATIONS! I MISS YOU!

Jman1236:

Actually yeah 2014 has be a low point for gaming in general with AAA games shooting themselves in the foot time and again:Looks at destiny:

It wasn't an Infinity Ward CoD, they tend to be actually heart felt and bother trying unlike IW's last three efforts, and no Treyarch (and SHG) CoDs have showed up thus far.

Sonic Boom makes me so sad. And the TV Show is halfway fun, to!
The game is just... *sobs*
COME BACK SONIC GENERATIONS! I MISS YOU!

Jman1236:

I think COD has long ago joined the ranks of Madden, Legend of Zelda and Bioware plot structure in "well what the fuck did you expect?" They all have their thing, they all have their fans, and complaining about any of them is like complaining that McDonalds hamburgers don't have that home-cooked taste you crave.

The only game I've played on this list was Thief, which makes a little bit of sense. That game came out pretty early in the year and it kind of made me not want to play games for a while.

At least there were games for a top 5 best, even if it all of them "won" by default because nothing that interesting really came out. I honestly though it was going to be a straight-up bottom 5 for this year, but I guess I can be surprised sometimes.

Called it!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.866393-Guess-Yahtzees-Top-5-Bottom-5-of-2014

I guessed all of his Top 5 games, though not in the correct order.

I missed 3/5 of his Worst 5, largely because he hadn't reviewed Sonic Boom then and had forgotten about Spidey/Sacred. What I'm reaaaaally surprised is how he completely ignored The Evil Within. He seemed downright offended in his review.

If there's one thing I've learned from Yahtzee, it's the British words for all the parts of the male anatomy.

Man, even when Dark Souls II is getting a reward it gets shit on.

Poor game. It just wants to love us...even if it wasn't as good as the first game.

Also on another note, Shadow of Mordor? Honestly didn't see that coming.

Theif? Really SHOULD have seen that coming.

Overall pretty funny video too. Not a huge fan of making jokes at the expense of fans, but at least some of them here made me laugh with how absurd they were.

I love it! Between this, Jim Sterling's list, and a bunch of others, the general consensus is 2014 was shit and we should all just forget about it.

erttheking:
Also on another note, Shadow of Mordor? Honestly didn't see that coming.

Didn't you watch his review? He loved it.

Shooting Space Nazi's on the moon was a highlight of the year I must say.

No I think the real reason you haven't bowed to the east and chanted "All hail Smash Bros." is because we all don't want you to do another retread of the Brawl review. And let's keep it that way, Croshaw. You're biased against Nintendo and you don't like fighting games so why touch something you obviously aren't going to like other than to deliberately piss people off?

Like you did this entire video anyway?!

Can't really argue with anything in the video other than that though. Solid lists overall.

*Screams internally about Yahtzee shitting on Smash Bros*

*Speaks calmly despite internal screaming*
Aside from that, nothing on this list I really disagree with on an individual level (His shots at Final Fantasy/JRPG fans during the LR entry kinda grinds my gears a little, but hey, it's Yahtzee).

The "YES! ALL OF THIS! IN MY FACE!" part made laugh harder than I should've, but then again, most ZP videos usually have one moment like that.....

LordTerminal:
You're biased against Nintendo and you don't like fighting games so why touch something you obviously aren't going to like other than to deliberately piss people off?

He liked Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Super Paper Mario, EarthBound and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. He's just biased against games that are bad and/or boring.

Dragonheart57:
Funny how the bottom 3 were all reboots or tie-ins, but I don't think anyone would be surprised by that. On the other hand, the top 3 were also tie-ins or reboots (I think, not sure about Wolfenstein), which is much more interesting.

Wolfenstein is technically a sequel to the previous couple of games. There's some characters that have shown up in previous ones, and events have been referenced.

And it's so bloody good.

I remember playing Dishonored after its release and thinking "this feels like a weak Thief Mod". Then I played the Thief reboot and thought "this feels like a weak Dishonored Mod". I pretty much quit right after the asylum level (which might as well have been called "Cribbing the Cradle" given the Thief: Deadly Shadows level it was obviously trying to invoke) because I had a feeling I'd just finished the best part the game had to offer.

Also, I'm surprised that Jack Bauer of Mordor got the top spot, but I suppose looking at the new things it brought to the table, it's an understandable choice.

Johnny Novgorod:

LordTerminal:
You're biased against Nintendo and you don't like fighting games so why touch something you obviously aren't going to like other than to deliberately piss people off?

He liked Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Super Paper Mario, EarthBound and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. He's just biased against games that are bad and/or boring.

Funny considering that Smash Bros. is neither.

Thief reboot as #1 worst what would TB say about that?

Johnny Novgorod:

LordTerminal:

Implying that Smash Bros. 4 was a objectively bad or boring game

Im shocked you didn't give the worst game of the year to Sonic Boom.
Everyone seems to be hating on that game saying its even worse than Sonic 06.

You know Yahtzee not everyone who likes Smash Brothers likes it for the nostalgia, some people just enjoy the mechanics.

I grew up on the Playstation franchises and I bought Smash Brothers Melee because I heard good things about it and I thoroughly enjoyed it. To give you an idea, I had no idea who Samus was when I first played the game (or Captain Falcon or Ganondorf)

Yahtzee rubbing his face on that big-ass cracked me up and TV made my day.

Wolfenstein: The New Order is on sale on Steam right now... if it weren't for the absolutely massive download (50GB?! The entirety of GTA V's game world fit on two DVDs; what could you possibly be keeping in there?) I might consider the $20 price tag to be worth getting it now rather than waiting for the next sale. As it is, I think I'm going to have to wait until I've moved someplace with a much faster Internet connection and upgraded to a 2TB hard drive. Also I still haven't played Return to Castle Wolfenstein, which I probably should get around to doing.

LordTerminal:

And what's funny is Nintendo clearly had the most interesting software this year between stuff like Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros., etc while the newfangled "next-gen" consoles with their shiny new IPs floundered for one reason or another. It just goes to show that a lot of the time the young upstarts are just that: upstarts who are second bananas for a reason. Often it's the old masters who bring things forward, proving why they're in charge and the upstarts should stick to serving coffee for awhile.

Aiddon:

LordTerminal:

And what's funny is Nintendo clearly had the most interesting software this year between stuff like Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros., etc while the newfangled "next-gen" consoles with their shiny new IPs floundered for one reason or another. It just goes to show that a lot of the time the young upstarts are just that: upstarts who are second bananas for a reason. Often it's the old masters who bring things forward, proving why they're in charge and the upstarts should stick to serving coffee for awhile.

With the exception of Smash, wouldn't this just mean that we should stick to refining old ideas rather than just giving old ideas new names?

Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors and Mario Kart 8 didn't exactly do much new, just tried refining what was already fine. Not exactly the best attitude to have especially in a new console generation.

Yeah, Shadows of Moredoor(s) was really great!!!! ;)
The review too, incidentally...

Crappy shoe year too, mate.
Thanks for now 8 years (almost) of a weekly laugh.
Got me through some very, very tough times and I always wanted to tell you that.

For real.
I rewatch episodes every night to relax before bed...

Yes, I'll stop being a bit creepy now.

Aiddon:

LordTerminal:

No offense, but all the interesting stuff above are sequels.
And not just part 2 either; MK 8, Dynasty Warriors 8 or 9, SB part 4 AND 5...

Also not really doing anything too new as far as I can gather from reviews either.
One might even wonder if expansion packs in the old days would not contain the same level of new stuff as these sequels.

Not at all surprised that Thief got the number worst game spot. Considering how hard he is for the original, and how extremely bitter he was in the review, it makes sense that it's his least favourite.

The way the top and bottom games were portrayed was perhaps the most confusing way Yahtzee has displayed them. I would have preferred to see them all at one time in relation to one another. This video in general was a bit on the confusion side but I suppose he was just fitting it all into one spot.

I've got to watch it a second time to be sure of what I saw or missed.

EDIT: Ok, after watching it a second time I guess that makes sense. You top-hatted beautiful bastard, you. Haha.

If Wolfenstein:TNO wasn't on the Top 5 list, I would have been severely disappointed. Thankfully Yahtzee shares my liking for the game too. It's a game about killing world-ruling Nazis, yet it makes me feel guilty for vaporizing them with a laser gun. The morality of it screwed with my head the entire way though, but that made killing the morally-bankrupt final boss all the more delightful. Having completed it yesterday, it has definitely earned a spot in my top 10 games list.

I knew Yahtzee liked Wolfenstein:TNO before, but now I really got interested in playing it and it's on Steam sales. ...Unfortunately since I live in Germany it turns out the only version available here is completely butchered and locked to mediocre German voice acting on top.

Jman1236:

Well I'm not surprised. CoD is just white noise, its the highest mark in the bell curve, if CoD had a name it would be James Smith and he'd live in a large metropolitan city and have 2.5 kids. Its not interesting to anyone worth a damn in Games criticism besides clickbait for the review or perhaps Devs wanting to see the secret of how to get their own steady IV drip of money. BUT its not bad, just very well polished to its slightly blemished dull beige.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here