Archer Review: Back In The Danger Zone

Archer Review: Back In The Danger Zone

Archer returns to its classic spy parody roots and forgets almost entirely about Vice, for better or worse.

Read Full Article

I didn't mind the last season, but for me it was no longer "the funniest show on television" for me. I loved certain parts of it (OUTLAW COUNTRY!), but the season as a whole was less satisfying. I'm glad the spy stuff is back and I'm hoping it returns back to my favorite animated show of the season. Though Bob's Burgers is always a close second for me.

Well, I think it's too early in the season to declare Sterling is back to being an asshole. He did reunite that Japanese soldier with his family and told the guys on the boat "We're having a moment here!" But it's good to see the crew back for more spy-jinks. They're not calling themselves I.S.I.S. anymore, because of the real-world terrorists calling themselves that.

Pretty good episode, especially considering it was mostly establishing that no-longer-ISIS will be back in their old office. I liked the Japanese soldier's little story arc and didn't mind Archer running away from reality again. While I greatly enjoyed Vice, I am glad they're going back to being spies. Can't wait to see more.

As long as Cheryl's still the same rubber cement devouring cutely psychotic girl that I know and love, I'll be happy with this season.

Hard for me to pick between her and Krieger for who my favorite character is.

RJ 17:
As long as Cheryl's still the same rubber cement devouring cutely psychotic girl that I know and love, I'll be happy with this season.

Agreed.
It was hilarious seeing their re-modelling the office (& Mallory).
Kinda disappointed Pam got fat again, but really at this point I'm watching the show primarily for Cheryl and Pam.

Josh123914:

RJ 17:

Agreed.
It was hilarious seeing their re-modelling the office (& Mallory).
Kinda disappointed Pam got fat again, but really at this point I'm watching the show primarily for Cheryl and Pam.

Don't forget Krieger. It's like he started out as almost an incidental character. He is just fantastic.

Heck, they all are!

I loved this first episode of this season. I'm looking forward to more.

Hey, where's the butler?

I love this Archer. This Archer is what makes the show match the writers, who also did Frisky Dingo. The jokes, the sadism, the mad craziness of it all matched that perfect in this episode. Loved it.

to be more specific its based on this guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroo_Onoda

Hiroo Onoda (小野田 寛郎 Onoda Hirō?, March 19, 1922 - January 16, 2014) was an Imperial Japanese Army intelligence officer who fought in World War II and did not surrender in 1945. In 1974, his former commander traveled from Japan to personally issue orders relieving him from duty. Onoda had spent almost 30 years holding out in the Philippines.[1][2] He held the rank of Second Lieutenant in the Imperial Japanese Army.

The only catch is though he only did it because he thought he was at war he killed a lot of people. He was also pissed when he finally came home and found that Japan had adopted american fundamental practices like consumerism and capitalism so he didn't stay long.

While I did liked the last season for being competely different (it's nice to break up the same old formula) but now it feel way too back to status quo well mostly (so now they got a baby, a secret jacuzzi and now a fax machine like robot that give out toast).
Also having Archer bump into a Japanese soldier just seen random (yes I read it's a real thing) and I was kind of suprised that they went with the happy ending this time round (I was sure he was going to get killed when he ran back for the trigger or that he say his family were in hiroshima or Nagasaki).

Dude that Sato scene almost made me cry. It was good.

Also: Anyone notice how the animation quality of this episode got a shot of steroids directly to the nards and eye with the same needle?(In a good way?)

I think the Studio Trigger method (or whoever developed it first cuz EYE YEM SCRUB) of not really animated exposition scenes to save money and using said money on really bamf action stuff is starting to take off, hopefully.

That or its a benefit of flash

So they did change the name? Disappointing. I was hoping they would have the balls to do an ISIS vs ISIS episode or maybe even a recurring joke where they say "were ISIS, no not that ISIS"

Crazy Zaul:
So they did change the name? Disappointing. I was hoping they would have the balls to do an ISIS vs ISIS episode or maybe even a recurring joke where they say "were ISIS, no not that ISIS"

Yeah they did. They announced it back in October. They said that in their "universe" ISIS doesn't exist, so making jokes about them is impossible

One other thing that seems like it's being carried over from Vice. Krieger might not be our Krieger.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here