No Right Answer: Tesla vs Edison

Tesla vs Edison

It's the debate that the internet can't get enough of, so who are we no to grab a slice? Two scientists, one winner, No Right Answer!

Watch Video

Please, there is only one way to settle this versus-

I'ma gonna go with Tesla on the grounds that he wasn't a dick.

That's really where the debate begins and ends for me, rewarding someone who "won" in the end through underhanded bullshit doesn't strike me as a compelling position.

*laughing* Terrific execution - what, for want of a better term, I'm going to classify as an apathetic frustrated rage on the part of the winner.

Also sliding the Oatmeal's terrific pro-Tesla bit here : http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla

I'd rather be a stinky wizard than a dick.

Tesla - stupid, stinky wizard

Edison - dick

There has never been more apropos descriptions of these two.

Well played, Dan and Chris. Well played.

Well, Tesla was played by David Bowie in a movie, so he's ahead in that regard. No, wait, that means he instantly wins. And unless I missed it for a split second, I couldn't find one picture of a Tesla Tower from one of the Red Alert games in this video. Totally missed opportunity!

I was really weary of this beforehand... but then you nailed it, especially at the end, and it was a lot of fun!
Well done, Chris!!!

And technically; Neither of them *IS* the best, as they are both quite dead... one of them WAS the best. ;)
But you are right, the Internet will never ever ever agree on this. :)

Thomas Edison was basically the Steve Jobs of his time. He lead an innovative team that changed the way the world interacted with technology. Many of his big patents were for sets of technology that were packaged together in ways that revolutionized the entertainment industry. I wonder how Steve Jobs will be regarded in a hundred years.

The arguments were:
Tesla sucked at business.
Tesla was a cool dude.
expected a bit more.

also.
Tesla didn't really invented Alternating Current.
Those credits should go to Guillaume Duchenne (among others), somewhere around the time Tesla was born.
And looking back far enough, the foundation was made by Michael Faraday.

He was however (one of) the first to build an A-sync induction motor, and the AC power converter.
both a big deal in their own right.

God if only the Oatmeal were on this episode.

If getting away with screwing over a bunch of people equals winning, I'm proud to be a loser.

Is this a debate? I had the impression that there were only two sides to this discussion. People who support Tesla, and people who haven't heard who Tesla is yet.

What constitutes victory? If Edison is being realized for the monster he is, then that's a loss in my book. There's nothing worse then infamy, except maybe obscurity.

captcha: Silver Spoon.

I agree, Edison had a large one where the sun don't shine.

Edison murdered countless animals trying to make Tesla look bad.

/argument

Tesla --- that is when he was alive, its just too bad after his death, Westinghouse screwed up business wise and General Electric continued onward.

Ole' Eddie even went so far as to electrocute an Elephant to death.

Sent packages to Tesla with odd items to remind him of his poor background.

Yes you are all right, a bonified Dick --- wasn't too far from Old Man Rockefeller.

Fuck elephants, Edison is the winner.

Edison was a pacifist who refused to work on anything other than defensive technology for the military while Tesla begged the military to fund his "death ray" fantasies. He was part of ground breaking research in medical xray research but bitterly regretted being involved in the field because one of his friends became ill from too much radiation exposure when the safety issues were not well known.

Direct current is also much safer than alternating current but the problem with it for power transmission is that it would be less efficient and would need a lot more infrastructure. Really this is basic electrical engineering education now.

I suppose you could criticise Edison for not being willing enough to risk hurting other people stopping him from achieving all that he could and adopting obvious solutions.

Eh, basically here's how I see it.

If anyone disagrees let me know, this is just my general impression of each man.

They got a fact wrong here. Alternating Current (AC) created by Tesla was more dangerous than Edison's Direct Current (DC). To demonstrate the dangers of AC electricity Edison invented the electric chair used for executions. AC won in the end because it was far more efficient and required less copper to transmit electricity. Although DC makes our daily lives and this post possible and electronics exclusively use DC power.

Olas:

If anyone disagrees let me know, this is just my general impression of each man.

Work Ethics? Edison? HA! That guy had people stealing "A Trip To The Moon", one of the most important movies of cinema history, to sell it himself in the US and keep the money rather than having, you know, the director and his team, who invented most of the special effects for the next forty years, getting the credit and the badly-needed cash.

It's like if someone stole copies of Star Wars in 1977 to sell them in Europe and Canada under their own name and ruined Lucas.

This is about as much bullshit as I've seen in a single internet discussion. You people are so god damn clueless, it hurts my brain. HOW THE HELL IS THIS A NO RIGHT ANSWER topic, Tesla was a scientific genius, he literally created everything the modern society uses. And he meant for all of that to be FREE. So that chart you bullshitted out of your ass, it's WRONG.

Edison was a hack. He didn't give all that to people, he first STOLE it from people who actually made it, INCLUDING THE GOD DAMNED LIGHT BULB, and he SOLD it. Basically he was the reverse Robin Hood. And he was rewarded for all that by being filthy rich for the next 50 generations.

I was eating a bowl of Crunch Berries when I began watching this. BIGGEST goddam mistake of my life! Almost choked 3 times!

Tesla might have lost the debate, but Dan won with the comment that Edison = Biff. That's just, amazing!

this one struck me as a weird choice given its practically a long standing internet meme that the answer is Tesla...

In my mind, it is simple:

Tesla = John Carmack: good inventor and technician but poor business man and PR. Tends to fix problems for the knack of it and then make the solutions public.
Edison = Steve Jobs: mediocre in the technical side, but pretty good at PR, business and self-promotion. Tends to acquire technology other people invented, refurbish it and sell them as his own.

Yep, Edison was a cruel but successful business man. The first to produce an industrial research facility.

But you guys should have defined the parameters of the argument. What defines "better" here? If it's financial success then yeah, dick-hole Edison won. If it is influence on the world then Tesla's inventions impacted more people. If it's deserving of reverence? Edison's industrial facility only pumped out products faster. Had he not existed then the actual inventors would have eventually been able to do it themselves. Instead, some of them died penniless and Edison reaped all of the rewards because he could afford lawyers.

This is like declaring any mob boss who died of old age to be the winner compared a highly respected individual who didn't make as much money. Um, sure...

Olas:

Edison was basically a total dick. So I'd have Tesla higher on kindness and Edison much lower.

I mean, Edison flat out stole products from other countries and cheated employees out of promised wages. He killed animals and generally fought against ideas he knew full well to be better for society just to turn a higher buck.

Other than that, your impression is pretty spot on.

Rufus Shinra:
Work Ethics? Edison? HA! That guy had people stealing "A Trip To The Moon", one of the most important movies of cinema history, to sell it himself in the US and keep the money rather than having, you know, the director and his team, who invented most of the special effects for the next forty years, getting the credit and the badly-needed cash.

It's like if someone stole copies of Star Wars in 1977 to sell them in Europe and Canada under their own name and ruined Lucas.

If you view his business as basically ripping off other people's ideas and then mass producing them then yeah, he had an excellent work ethic. Some thieves work really hard and becomes successful because of it.

CaptainBill22:
They got a fact wrong here. Alternating Current (AC) created by Tesla was more dangerous than Edison's Direct Current (DC). To demonstrate the dangers of AC electricity Edison invented the electric chair used for executions. AC won in the end because it was far more efficient and required less copper to transmit electricity. Although DC makes our daily lives and this post possible and electronics exclusively use DC power.

Yes and no.

AC is dangerous because when exposed you muscles (including your heard) will contract on the frequency (50 or 60 Hz depending were you live).
If i recall my safety course right, for AC 40V is whats considered save (100V for DC)

DC is far more prone to arc, and can more easily maintain that arc.
this makes it a big fire hazard at higher currents.
AC's voltage goes up and down between +230V and -230V so any arc formed at the + or - peak will die out near 0V
And don't start that easily again.

Jeroenr:
If i recall my safety course right, for AC 40V is whats considered save (100V for DC)

Safe as in "unlikely to actually kill you", maybe, but I shocked myself once with a mere 9V AC (literally a 9V battery plugged into an alternator) and it's surprisingly nasty. Certainly not something you'd want to have happen to you while operating heavy equipment.

Pyrian:

Jeroenr:

Safe as in "unlikely to actually kill you", maybe, but I shocked myself once with a mere 9V AC (literally a 9V battery plugged into an alternator) and it's surprisingly nasty. Certainly not something you'd want to have happen to you while operating heavy equipment.

well yes, that is exactly how they determent that.

And getting a shock from 9V AC is not so much about the Volts but more about the Amps.

sorry something whet wrong here

Jeroenr:
And getting a shock from 9V AC is not so much about the Volts but more about the Amps.

We're discussing power sources (as opposed to static electricity, which can run up huge voltages but still discharge very few amps). Amps are more or less a given, with a 9V battery being distinctly on the "less" end.

Put another way, if you're claiming that <40V AC is safe, and what you really mean is that <40V AC is safe if you've got a really good GFCI in the circuit, then I don't really think you got the point across.

Pyrian:

Jeroenr:

We're discussing power sources (as opposed to static electricity, which can run up huge voltages but still discharge very few amps). Amps are more or less a given, with a 9V battery being distinctly on the "less" end.

Put another way, if you're claiming that <40V AC is safe, and what you really mean is that <40V AC is safe if you've got a really good GFCI in the circuit, then I don't really think you got the point across.

The course (basic savety, VCA) literally said no fatality has ever bin reported at these levels. so it's considered "save"

But with" Certainly not something you'd want to have happen to you while operating heavy equipment" you do make a good point.

The biggest risk often isn't electrocution it self, but the accident you might have after it.
If you stand on a ladder changing a light bulb any shock will be enough to make you fall.
this is true for AC as well as DC
The course did cover this as well.

Kawabunga Chris
Way to get it on!
You reptiled against electrical rennaisance!
You brought hysterical technique thad made yo
foe laugh hard and drop offa his feet!

Tesla won ...

Alternating current alone made late-modern civilization. Electricity would be thousands of times more expensive if it wasn't for Tesla. Tesla's work is the lifeblood of every nation on Earth.

I genuninely believe that this the BEST take on the Edison vs. Tesla argument I've yet seen.

They highlighted each man's strengths and shortcomings, each man's contributions to the world of technology in their own ways, and didn't pull any punches on Tesla's lack-of-real-world-practicality or Edison's...being a dick.

Well done.

CAPTCHA: real mccoy

How appropriate.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook