Zero Punctuation: Lords of the Fallen - Imitation is Flattery?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Lords of the Fallen - Imitation is Flattery?

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Lords of the Fallen.

Watch Video

I'm still waiting for the day that the visual designers get it out of there heads that more is better, like that one girl who really doesn't know what they're doing using makeup by the liter.

If they keep trying perhaps we'll get a good Dark Souls knock-off, though. Then that brings up the fight of Unique versus Good that very rarely has middle ground (Mirror's Edge 2 could be both if it turns out to be a massive step up from the unfortunate predecessor).

As for this game, it didn't interest on first viewing, it doesn't interest me now further, especially because I'm playing through Dark Souls 1 and 2 and I'm getting the impression that they just aren't for me.

What?! No song?! Yatzhee, I am disappoint.

Silentpony:
What?! No song?! Yatzhee, I am disappoint.

I think that was just a one time thing, sadly. Since Uncivil War is over, it would be nice to have a little couplet at the end of every review to expand on a certain aspect of the game he thinks is noteworthy.

Oh so that's what this game was about. Hard to tell when the box art is just a grizzled man staring at me.

Sounds boring.

The laughable thing is the devs have claimed that they weren't modeling their game after the Souls series, when it's plainly obvious they did, and did so intentionally.

Yikes. Dark Souls = hard. So is this. Let me know when G-d Mode cheats available for free!

Nailed this game spot on, Yahtzee. I own it, got the platinum and all that, and a few of my friends have asked me what it's like. I just tell them, "Like Dark Souls, but." "But what?" "Just...play the game. You'll see." And then I loan it to them and they see what I mean.

The art style is all spikes and 'edgy'.
The story tries to be mystic, but just ends up completely missing the point.
And thank you for mentioning that opening movie. I still don't get what that whole scene was about, seeing as the game takes place years earlier.

The best way I can describe this game is Dark Souls if it was designed by a U.S. company. None of the subtlety, all of the "Grr! You're AWESOME!"

Shhhhhm Yahtzee, you're supposed to be enthusiastic about things, didn't you get the memo?

Snark aside, I'm not surprised to hear this is dull and uninspired. I was getting that impression since the first gameplay video I saw. I really hope "massive shoulder pauldron" fantasy aesthetic popularized by Blizzard goes off and dies as soon as possible.

Oh wait, that was still snark, just a different target. Oh well.

Dark Souls wasn't really unique either though, the combat was taken from Monster Hunter and nearly everything else from random folklore.

I will say that I thought it fixed a number of the bullshit things in the Souls series (like not having some planks that you can walk on and some you can't with no visual indication of which is which), but I can also agree it's too short.

Gorfias:
Yikes. Dark Souls = hard. So is this. Let me know when G-d Mode cheats available for free!

The classes are basically the difficulty settings for this game, as far as I'm aware and at release at least.

Jim Sterling was playing a Cleric on his stream when the game came out. They have Slow Time, which is bad enough, but also a healing spell... and mana regenerates very quickly in Lords. Jim isn't the best of Souls players but even so, the only thing we saw him die to was gravity. He never even had to use the potions, and therefore, if anything difficult did turn up, he always had a full stock.

If you're looking for a god mode, Cleric is it.

I judged this book by its cover and it seems I was spot on!

It's the American movie remake for video games. Watered down and missing the point by a landslide.

That's not to say nothing good comes out of the new world of course, only that the remakes that something good and unique from another country and cut it down to fit Hollywood doctrine until it's just a hollowed out caricature of it's former self, are... shit. Very shit indeed. Dun do it.

I won't lie, I rather liked the armor designs I've seen from this game. I'm a sucker for all the moving details.

But I imagine if everything is equally detailed and over designed it will all end up looking too similar to remain interesting for long. After all it's the variety in armor design (from practical to outright silly) that's part of the Souls games identity - something for almost everyone.

This seems like of those settings (or Dark Souls's setting, anyway) where Yahtzee's reverse leveling idea would make sense. You go around and seal up these areas by giving up your powers. You might start out being able to crush flaming-skull armor-man, but half-way through the game he's a formidable enemy and near the end you are better off sneaking around. And what better way to convey the crumbling, decaying nature of the world by putting it where it directly affects the player?

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

Still, I like it, and I like even more the attitude the game devs took in marketing it and getting it out there. They gave some copies to the streamers and LPers in the Dark Souls community and were very open about everything. It's refreshing, honestly. They know what they're making, and they know who it's for. They aren't trying to make some AAA next big thing, they just wanted to make a mid-tier game with a mid-tier budget in the spirit of a game they liked. I can't see anything wrong with that.

Sure, it could be said that there's something to being so cozy in another game's shadow. Not very ambitious. True, but with all the overhyped crap that's been around lately, I'm starting to think being a bit more low key with your goals isn't all that bad.

Lot's of Souls fans dislike the Diablo 3/WoW art style with the spiked pauldrons. Me? I don't mind. Souls games have some pretty strange armor, too. Just in a more conservative aesthetic, I suppose.

Was hoping for a review of Gat out of Hell, but considering its brevity maybe you can rope it in with a double feature after the inevitable review of Dying Light? Maybe Life is Strange? That's a unique game based on existing ideas!

So what I get from this is that he liked the game, kind of? I mean, he didn't say it was absolute garbage, just that it tried too hard to imitate something that was far better than it.

I wonder if Yahtzee would ever review one of those niche Japanese titles that were ported to english, such as, say, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory. I love that game but boy, they really are a niche title, and for good reason.

It is a shame they don't have a demo available. Especially when the game is so notorious for continuously crashing to desktop on some computers. It really sounds like a gamble to buy it even now few months after release. I would really want to try it but as it stands i'll probably wait for it to drop to around 10€ or something.

Kurt Cristal:
Was hoping for a review of Gat out of Hell, but considering its brevity maybe you can rope it in with a double feature after the inevitable review of Dying Light? Maybe Life is Strange? That's a unique game based on existing ideas!

Yahtzee likes to do double features about games that have something in common, so Saint's Row: Gat out of Hell would have to be paired with something like it. Then again, if GooH is a DLC add-on, then don't hold your breath. He's not a fan of DLC. I keep waiting for him to give his take on Assassin's Creed rogue, since it has all the sailing he like from Black Flag, it turns the basic premise of the AC story upside-down, and he could try the Irish accent of the main character.

Sounds to me like Yahtzee kinda liked Lords of the Fallen while admitting he only does so because he's a sucker for Dark Souls, and he sees it as a Dark Souls clone, warts and all. Disregarding the obvious and quite valid criticism, that's still high praise coming from the likes of him.

I tried Dark Souls once and couldn't get very far past an early boss fight. I concluded it wasn't for me because it's just too hard, and yet the decision still smarts because everything else about Dark Souls is the epitome of a siren song to me. Meanwhile, I read a lot of user reviews saying that Lords of the Fallen is basically Dark Souls but a bit easier, and the (apparently) scaled down difficulty coupled with the 'spiky-and-edgy' design I love so much (Warhammer fan here) could mean this game is exactly what I've been waiting for.
This game is going on my 'should buy once I have a PS4' list.

Darth_Payn:

Kurt Cristal:

Yahtzee likes to do double features about games that have something in common, so Saint's Row: Gat out of Hell would have to be paired with something like it. Then again, if GooH is a DLC add-on, then don't hold your breath. He's not a fan of DLC. I keep waiting for him to give his take on Assassin's Creed rogue, since it has all the sailing he like from Black Flag, it turns the basic premise of the AC story upside-down, and he could try the Irish accent of the main character.

GooH technically isn't DLC, since you can play it without having the original game. It merely resembles DLC in price, length, and being a spinoff of the main game. But those are good things.

Arthain:

I wonder if Yahtzee would ever review one of those niche Japanese titles that were ported to english, such as, say, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory. I love that game but boy, they really are a niche title, and for good reason.

I wouldn't say it's impossible, but I wouldn't hold my breath either. Yahtzee is pretty outspokenly not fond of most JRPGs (Dark Souls aside).

Warachia:
Dark Souls wasn't really unique either though, the combat was taken from Monster Hunter and nearly everything else from random folklore.

Eh, while Demon's Souls/Dark Souls-Monster Hunter is one of the first connections I'd make while talking about either series, I'd say Monster Hunter's combat is a bit more convoluted than the Souls games. The essence is similar in that it's all about positioning, timing, knowing the battlefield and how to move around it, and knowing when you have an opening, but the actual implementation isn't quite as familiar.

I only ever played Monster Hunter Tri (which I didn't finish though I did sink in about 50 ours into it) but I remember it being loads clunkier than any Souls game by far.

Yahtzee better review Monster Hunter 4 after copping out at the start of Tri.

I was hoping to pick this game up after beating Dark Souls, but considering my relationship with Quelagg, I don't think I'll have to worry about it for a while.

The Dead Singer:
I only ever played Monster Hunter Tri (which I didn't finish though I did sink in about 50 ours into it) but I remember it being loads clunkier than any Souls game by far.

Have you even looked at the UI in any From Software game? In the tutorial at the beginning of dark souls 1 I tried to figure out how to kick, the sign said it was LS + R1. Naturally after 5 minutes of clicking the left stick, as there was no directional signage, I discovered the sign meant you need to push the left stick forward while pressing R1. I don't know what that is, but it's sure a helluva lot 'clunkier' than Tri ever was.

I prefer Monster Hunter because you don't have to grind through overpowered trash mobs in boring, drab environments, but rather cut (mostly) to the chase, hunting huge, *unique* bosses for the vast majority of the game. Monster Hunter also isn't based around frequent death, a mechanic that means the unwilling interruption of your current activity and is considered by most if not all gamers to be inherently not fun.

And before you go on about 'stakes' and 'investment' in the gameplay Monster Hunter has those too. You wouldn't know until you're 40 minutes into a 50 minute max quest, running from a huge, enraged monster on only a sliver of your health, knowing that a single hit would make your third death (3 strikes and you fail the mission). That, my friends, is tense.

Kerethos:
I won't lie, I rather liked the armor designs I've seen from this game. I'm a sucker for all the moving details.

But I imagine if everything is equally detailed and over designed it will all end up looking too similar to remain interesting for long. After all it's the variety in armor design (from practical to outright silly) that's part of the Souls games identity - something for almost everyone.

Yeah, it's fine if you end up looking like some armored monstrosity at the end of the game fighting giant hulking brutes left and right, but when you START off looking like that there's no visual progression of the power and progression of your character.

Haru17:
Have you even looked at the UI in any From Software game? In the tutorial at the beginning of dark souls 1 I tried to figure out how to kick, the sign said it was LS + R1. Naturally after 5 minutes of clicking the left stick, as there was no directional signage, I discovered the sign meant you need to push the left stick forward while pressing R1. I don't know what that is, but it's sure a helluva lot 'clunkier' than Tri ever was.

Um, I understood that right away. It was left stick, not L3.

In any Souls game you don't take a time out in combat to run to a corner and sharpen your weapon. Monster Hunter is beyond clunky.

I remember VaatiVidya covering this game a ways back, in which he referred to it as a "Souls-like," I don't know if he coined that term or not but it was the first time I'd heard anyone use it. I think that's a term that we're going to be hearing more and more in the next few years, I think Dark Souls (& Demon's Souls before it) were genera definers; kind of like Rouge, Doom, or Diablo, there were FPSes before Doom and there were dungeon crawlers before Diablo, but those games set the standard and defined the parameters of a whole new genera.

Anyways, great video as always, was kinda hoping for Gat out of Hell, but I guess we'll wait and see on that.

Oh so it's basically Dark Souls again. I'll pass.

What the fuck is this 'Team Hollywood' thing, though?

C.TYR:
What the fuck is this 'Team Hollywood' thing, though?

It is indicator of new and improved Yahtzee
Now with 300% more positivism and enthusiasm
Because if anything I watch Zero Punctuation expecting positivism and enthusiasm of all things.

Haru17:
[
Monster Hunter also isn't based around frequent death, a mechanic that means the unwilling interruption of your current activity and is considered by most if not all gamers to be inherently not fun.

Just cutting out this little line. I honestly think DS wouldn't have had any succses is this would be even remotely true.
Most people i know and myself had no issues with that. Quite the contrary, the high difficulty and resulting deaths actually challenged me to get better.
Which leads to a really awesome gameplay once you're in the zone, dodging left, right and center and parrying all dem Silverknights till your parry-button breaks.

garjian:

Gorfias:

The classes are basically the difficulty settings for this game, as far as I'm aware and at release at least.

Jim Sterling was playing a Cleric on his stream when the game came out. They have Slow Time, which is bad enough, but also a healing spell... and mana regenerates very quickly in Lords. Jim isn't the best of Souls players but even so, the only thing we saw him die to was gravity. He never even had to use the potions, and therefore, if anything difficult did turn up, he always had a full stock.

If you're looking for a god mode, Cleric is it.

Interesting! I will look for this!

Thanatos2k:
In any Souls game you don't take a time out in combat to run to a corner and sharpen your weapon. Monster Hunter is beyond clunky.

A bit off topic but... Repair Powder? ;D

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or