Do You Know Your Sci-Fi Clichés?

Do You Know Your Sci-Fi Clichés?

Test your knowledge of science fiction tropes.

Take the quiz!

A couple of those caught me out. Good quiz, thanks! Enjoyed it a lot.

I disagree with... Universal Translator. The obvious one is Star Trek, and that's definitely all of the above/below.

Something that's starting to bounce around my head on this topic recently, anyone find the whole 'life is cheap' aspect usually found in sci-fi. Either it's like some version of the Wild West or ships lined up like a Napoleonic battlefield with millions about to die.

Thing is, people generally don't like to die. And when life is good they are even less likely going to want to die. I'd imagine the technological improvements needed to become a space fairing civilization would further enhance our lives, much like how you'd compare Western society today to what it was back in the industrial revolution.

I understand that sometimes there's an alien menace that just wants to destroy us all and that's fine, but as often as not these things can be human vs human.

ritchards:
I disagree with... Universal Translator. The obvious one is Star Trek, and that's definitely all of the above/below.

I can also think of several points in the Mass Effect trilogy where it wasn't just curse words. (notably some conversations with Thane, and Tali)

Yeah, the universal translator question is rather flawed in that regard.

that was fun but it seemed that more than one answer was right in some of the questions.

5! Bullshit!

I swear I got at least 9/10.

I had to try 4 times to get "the green liquid". I can't think of why it could only mean one thing. Is that answer from a specific series?

Aerevolt:
I had to try 4 times to get "the green liquid". I can't think of why it could only mean one thing. Is that answer from a specific series?

In most fiction, green liquids are acid, poison, radioactive, etc. even though there's little to no real-world basis for that.

Rhykker:

Aerevolt:

In most fiction, green liquids are acid, poison, radioactive, etc. even though there's little to no real-world basis for that.

I thought the same, but at the same time, alien liquors and ambrosias are ALSO often green. One of the two I got wrong, the other was the energy weapon question where any of the answers was right depending on which genre you go to.

ritchards:

Came here to say this. That was the only question I got wrong on my first try, or to be precise, I got it right and the test got it wrong...

Only 90% on the first try. In my defence, it was before lunch and that green bubbling liquid really does sound delicious.

Holy crap I made the top 10. I never even break the top 100 on these things.

ritchards:

Star Trek translates the colloquial expressions into English. They just don't always make sense. See: Darmok. Not one of them made sense out of context, but it was all in English.

Somehow, I read the Laser question as sarcastic.
They're "clearly more advanced and effective than modern weapons" *wink* *wink*

Jandau:

ritchards:

Came here to say this. That was the only question I got wrong on my first try, or to be precise, I got it right and the test got it wrong...

Agreed. Came here to say the same thing. It also the only one I got "wrong". On my second attempt, I went with curse words and that ended up being correct.

Yep, translator was the one I failed on as well.

Its a little ironic that the "cliches" test is by definition only going to be a challenge for questions where the answer isnt cliche enough to be obvious.

ugh i got the one that was "Curse Words" wrong 3 times lol

Since everyone seems to have had trouble with the universal translator question, I'll chalk that up to my bad. And add that I wrote this quiz, which seems like important context.

The thought process was... Unless there is a deliberate attempt at humor or some kind of shtick, aliens never seem to have trouble understanding (or speaking in) everyday English. Writers often simply don't notice when they write dialogue that a non-native English speaker clearly wouldn't understand or ever say (and I live in a city filled with non-native English speakers, so this is a common stumbling block for me), even in the context of some form of magical translation device.

So, sure, you may have that one joke in the episode where Xlv'zkg doesn't understand what "kill two birds with one stone" means, but he has no difficulty understanding/saying "Let's call it a day," "he rubs me the wrong way," "hang in there," etc. (just examples). But then, to get around TV censors, his curse word won't be translated.

I rewrote this question numerous times and really struggled to convey my thinking, so sorry to anyone who may have been frustrated by which question they got wrong.

All in all this was a neat little quiz. The energy weapons one stumped me several times through the test though... Basically the only less effective than modern weapons examples I can think of are the Storm Trooper's Blaster Carbine, and the Staff Weapons from the Stargate series. The rest all seem to be pinpoint accurate, and absolutely effective. Not accounting for the usually terrible marksmanship of Scifi protagonists in utopian future series like Star Trek.

I scored 100%, with 10 of 10 correct on The Escapist's Do You Know Your Sci-Fi Clichés?.
Take this quiz

Managed to get it in just two tries, the only one that stumped me was the energy weapon. The rest I somehow managed to get right. :D

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here