Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Review - The Return of Dragon Pants

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Review - The Return of Dragon Pants

Sometimes one new feature is enough to make a game new... sometimes not.

Read Full Article

Knocking on wood I can go get this today. I hear it's easier for SP. Not including the post game hunts.

Danm, I thought I was getting this today but no, it's arriving next Tuesday (I knew I should have went with instant day delivery despite the extra cost)!

I am looking forward to playing this. I thoroughly enjoyed MH3U and I understand that they made the combat more fluid, which is awesome. I have noticed that they have been doing that since the series progressed and it's a welcome change. I am unclear on something though, the advertising campaign for this really screwed the pooch. This is also for the old 3DS and not just the New 3DS, correct?

I just started playing monster hunter 3 ultimate monday.

Seems decent enough

Baresark:
I am looking forward to playing this. I thoroughly enjoyed MH3U and I understand that they made the combat more fluid, which is awesome. I have noticed that they have been doing that since the series progressed and it's a welcome change. I am unclear on something though, the advertising campaign for this really screwed the pooch. This is also for the old 3DS and not just the New 3DS, correct?

Correct. I can play the demo on my original 3ds.

Just a thought... it would be really convenient if at the very start of reviews you could list the platform the game is available on. Platform is not mentioned until the penultimate paragraph.

RaikuFA:

Baresark:

Good to know. I can't find an ad that doesn't simultaneously advertise the New 3DS. I plan on getting one but I'm gonna wait till Xenoblade Chronicles is closer to release. Thank You.

They removed the underwater hunting? Oh, man! And I cramped my fingers so many times just to perfect my technique...

Just to nitpick, it's not an insect staff, it's an insect glaive. That's the name, and there is a blade on the weapon.

Baresark:

RaikuFA:

Baresark:

Good to know. I can't find an ad that doesn't simultaneously advertise the New 3DS. I plan on getting one but I'm gonna wait till Xenoblade Chronicles is closer to release. Thank You.

You're welcome. I'm also waiting until Xenoblade

RaikuFA:
Knocking on wood I can go get this today. I hear it's easier for SP. Not including the post game hunts.

It is... thought being attacked on the ship by the title monster... yeah... fuck that douchebag with his virus attacks and wide swipes... the camera can really mess you up in that battle.

But so far im loving the new monster hunter title. Easier to get into... everything is being given to you step by step to not overwhelm new players and the online mode is as good as it ever gonna get with nintendo.

To bad it had to be on the 3DS and not a more powerfull consoles... but then again monster hunter is almost exclusively played on handhelds in japan

Karadalis:

RaikuFA:

It is... thought being attacked on the ship by the title monster... yeah... fuck that douchebag with his virus attacks and wide swipes... the camera can really mess you up in that battle.

But so far im loving the new monster hunter title. Easier to get into... everything is being given to you step by step to not overwhelm new players and the online mode is as good as it ever gonna get with nintendo.

To bad it had to be on the 3DS and not a more powerfull consoles... but then again monster hunter is almost exclusively played on handhelds in japan

Almost everything is on handhelds in Japan now. Rarely anyone uses consoles nothere.

Karadalis:

RaikuFA:

Honestly, Monster Hunter has always thrived on handhelds both in Japan and Worldwide. Capcom usually shuts down the servers on the console versions pretty quickly after a sequel is released and to be frank, MH is a lot more fun with friends on handhelds locally.

The handheld versions are usually the most feature complete as well which is a plus.

So I kinda really want this game. At the same time, I'm crazy intimidated by it. Is that weird?
I've wanted to experience the Monster Hunter series for a long time now.

Story:
So I kinda really want this game. At the same time, I'm crazy intimidated by it. Is that weird?

If youve been watching intermediate or high level hunts then i suppose its not weird to be intimidated.

But in reality its gonna be a couple hours before youre set up with your first Great Jaggi. And several more before you get take on the likes of Rathalos, Tigrex or Zinogre.

Ryallen:
Just to nitpick, it's not an insect staff, it's an insect glaive. That's the name, and there is a blade on the weapon.

Man! The thing they were calling it pre-release was staff, and it's just stuck in my head. I'll update accordingly.

gigastar:

Story:

If youve been watching intermediate or high level hunts then i suppose its not weird to be intimidated.

But in reality its gonna be a couple hours before youre set up with your first Great Jaggi. And several more before you get take on the likes of Rathalos, Tigrex or Zinogre.

I encourage you to get in there! It's a pretty approachable game this time out, without any fancy weird things (like swimming) weighing us down.

JonB:

Ryallen:

Man! The thing they were calling it pre-release was staff, and it's just stuck in my head. I'll update accordingly.

Usual translations stuff, there will always be confusion.
In the Japanese version it's called Sōchūkon, which means "Insect Taming Staff" "Insect Operating Rod", "Neopteron Handler", and "Insect Rod". So, you're not actually wrong.

Heck, the Charge Blade was called the "Charge Axe" in the Japanese version and some of my friends who actually bought a Japanese 3DS to play MH4G first is still calling it that.

Small FYI: Switch Axe was originally called the "Slash Axe"

So i started playing monster hunter 3 ultimate last week

Seems allright but they send you on quests to kill monsters (shocking yes), dont give you any hint where it is, and put you on a time limit.
Sadly, since i bought new, gamestop wouldnt refund me so im stuck with it.

Am i doing it wrong? (I have the monster note that im hunting)

You would think they would tell you what habitat, or prey it likes. Im not asking for quest tracking, but chridt im not going to wonder about untill the timer expires and i fail.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here