Lagency

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Will Erin end up shooting just herself if that shot is a critical miss?

Non-controversial stuff is best controversial stuff!

That people do this all the time pisses me off so badly. fuckin' half smart parrots repeating something some one slightly better informed than them once said (probably incorrectly)

insanelich:
Will Erin end up shooting just herself if that shot is a critical miss?

Nah, a Critical Miss on an attack like that would probably mean a fumble, and possible chance for the gun to break entirely unless it has magical properties.

Sadly, this is wrong. You're talking about a certain type of lag, namely network lag. What low FPS introduces is input lag (or, to be pedantic, "input in relation to onscreen action lag").

Is that a big deal? Sometimes, but more often than not it's not the framerate that causes it.
Is the term nontheless correct for both? Yes, it is, since both are "lag".

Shots fired. Repeat, SHOTS FIRED!!! EVERYBODY DOWN!!

Or in other words,

Lets have a pleasant and constructive debate over the internet on a forum page... what ever the fuck that is.

Whoracle:
Sadly, this is wrong. You're talking about a certain type of lag, namely network lag. What low FPS introduces is input lag (or, to be pedantic, "input in relation to onscreen action lag").

Is that a big deal? Sometimes, but more often than not it's not the framerate that causes it.

Yeah, lag is complicated. Your game can be poorly optimized, introducing input lag. Your wireless controller or fancy TV/monitor can introduce input lag. Your netcode can decide to delay inputs instead of making people teleport, introducing what feels like input lag but is actually network lag (old fighting games did this a lot). If you're a PC Master Race kind of guy, odds are that your low FPS is the smallest contributor to your lag.

Of course, all these factors combined are less total lag than a wireless mic playing Rock Band on an Xbox 360, so it's mostly just whining.

I laffed.

edit:
I disagree with calling low framerates lag unless it actually involves a noticable delay between input and response. 25fps is not "laggy". I say this as a PC gaming who boldly defends the PAL TV standard because reasons.

Hah glad to know someone else who has the same pedantry as me. I've been telling people the difference for ages.

Know your latency from your low frame rate!

Erm, a low framerate is "lag". What you're descending is latency lag which then could be caused by 2 different issues.

Holy shit, that last panel. I want Erin to bestow her wisdom unto me.

No, Erin. You're doing it wrong.

Never put your own head in the path of the bullet.

:/ Hmmm.... I'm assuming that's not one of those "Persona" guns....

Anyway, I don't really play that many online games, so I don't really ever use lag in conversation.

Seems like the best way to avoid getting homicide/suicided by Erin is to just not use that word. <.<

Also, that was a fun podcast. :) Good show and comic, Grey & Cory.

You know... When you asked whether I wanted to take part in exchange of bodily fluids...

"Lag" refers to any latency, not just network latency. While I will wholeheartedly agree that the term should not be used to refer to low framerates, we mustn't forget about input lag.

P.S. Thanks

Wait, is this comic correcting anti-PC people who think Lag is network connection?

What kind of lag do they call it when hackers bring down their network over christmas break? Is that hacker lag?

As an owner of both, I certainly preferred playing games to not being able to. What's more is that I have experienced lag on a console. A lot of console games still pick a machine to be the host and lag still happens.

Erin's choice of single action 6-shooter is probably a poor one. Having to manually draw back the hammer introduces "firing lag" into the game... Shit. I said game. And then it hit me that the revolver is intentional. It IS a game. Erin has resorted to Russian Roulette and is sharing the experience. Otherwise, I think there'd be a more conventional semi-automatic in there.

If you wish to eliminate the "death lag", please switch from revolver to semi-automatic for future games of Russian Roulette.

Also, www.OutOfTens.com takes me to a YouTube video for "Ploughing a Troll" from Miracle of Sound?

Imp Emissary:
:/ Hmmm.... I'm assuming that's not one of those "Persona" guns....

If it was, it could have bestowed double the wisdom at half the dread...

Anyway, the podcast's on Metal Gear AND Metal Gear?! That's a bit too cray for my cray-cray...

Also, I was going to comment sooner... but, due to lag, I was nightcrawler late again...

As someone with a ghetto computer, a steady 25 fps isn't that bad and eventually you become acclimated to the very slight input lag. I feel that bit of info doesn't seem to be brought up very often in PC gaming fps discussions. I actually find significantly faster fps gives me a headache since I'm exposed to it so infrequently, like watching a soap opera on a high refresh rate TV when you're used to a standard TV displaying standard content. Someday I hope to have a good PC that will allow me to adjust my frame(s per second) of reference.

Another comic making fun of PC gamers? Is this a new story arc? Perhaps a new phase in Erin's insanity?

Pish and twaddle, my 4 year old PC makes a PS4/XBone look like a toaster and not the cool one from Red Dwarf.

This has always irked me since 2004 when I started to play Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, I was slowly but steadily learning about all the PC slang terms and even back then people used "lag" both because they legitimately had some connection problems, or because they were so fucking stupid to still use a Pentium 3 and a Matrox video card to play the game.

I haven't played anything else but WarcraftIII and LoL, well a little Lotro and WoW (but that's minor gametime) and even I knew this.
Are there really this N00bish master racers out there?

Duck, Eliot (or whatever that guy's name is)! When she pulls the trigger! There's a delay in the bullet when it passes through her brains. A lag, if you will.

Whoracle:

QFT.

Another type of lag that's often hardware related(though sometimes it's netcode), is hitching, kind of like a stutter in the gameplay. It's a frequent death sentence in badly optimized competitive FPS games, such as Planetside 2, for the first few months at least.

Well, that ending took me by surprise, sort of. Maybe I was sort of ready for it since this was Critical Miss.

Wow, ya'll sure are mad that people are using a word to mean a thing.

I also find it annoying when people don't use the correct usage (as i define it) of words, and that includes lag. However i find this attitude of correcting other peoples usage of words even more annoying.

There is nothing 'wrong' with using lag to describe any decrease in performance which causes delays between input and output. The literal definition for lag is a period of time between two events and so it is perfectly acceptable to use it to talk about general decreases in performance, even for off-line games in that context. Additionally, the meaning conferred by using the word 'lag' to discuss general decreases in performance is understood in this context, even if you don't like them using the word 'lag' to convey that meaning, the meaning has still been conveyed to you, and hence it served it's purpose.

Words evolve and language is always changing. Just because you know the term 'lag' from Counter-strike doesn't mean you own it for everyone else.

Man I remember a time when if you had only a 156ms ping to the server you were golden.

Whoracle:

Thank you, I was going say something less technical but this works better.

Whoracle:

Well, no.
Low FPS produces input lag, but it's not lag by itself.
This discussion is an equivalent to the question "is water wet?".

yep. But as the game programmer in me would like to say, (especially the part that deals with VR)

Lag, (or if you want to be technical, latency) also describes the delay between the player giving some control input, and the display showing the effects of it.

Framerate defines what the minimum input lag will be, though often the input lag is much higher than that.

At 100 fps, each frame lasts 10 ms. So you will never have less latency than that. but, it takes your computer 10 ms to draw the frame. In their current configuration, it also takes your monitor 10 ms, and it cannot draw a frame until your pc has finished rendering it. so, that's 20 ms.

If the game runs input in a seperate thread, then it's bumped up to 30 ms. finally, it takes time for the signal to get from the pc to the display, and for the display circuitry to process the image.
how much time is hard to say, but this extra time is why HDTV'S need a 'game' mode, because they often do a lot of image processing using other settings, which can easily delay the process another 50-100ms

so, at 100fps you may find the input latency is 50-60ms, much larger than the Framerate alone would suggest.

Except in MMOs where they are both called lag cos the cause is irrelevant, either way you have slow performance.

wAriot:

Whoracle:

Well, no.
Low FPS produces input lag, but it's not lag by itself.
This discussion is an equivalent to the question "is water wet?".

Oh, then Erin's actions at the last panel are understandable. :)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here