Cities: Skylines Review - The Best City Builder in a Decade

Cities: Skylines Review - The Best City Builder in a Decade

The gaming community has been disappointed and burned by city builders in recent years. Can Colossal Order and Paradox Interactive win them back with Cities: Skylines?

Read Full Article

Holy shit. That's no ordinary city simulator. That's...a good Sim City.

Barbas:

Angels sang out... In immaculate chorus...
Down from the heavens... Descended Chuck Norris...
Who delivered a message... Which could splatter brain...
I've found it... A Good Sim City...

OT:

Hilariously old references aside holy shit am I excited for this. I'd like to point out that the map is actually unlimited (or rather, isn't locked to the 9 they describe) but you have to unlock it to be able to buy more squares than 9 due to laggy-laggy frames. Basically, if your computer can run it, you can build it.

I loved Sim City even with how awful many of it's choices were, simply because it was the first of it's kind in a while. And now this...

Truly, the gods smile upon us. And probably will smite us too as soon as we unlocked the disasters.

Lil_Rimmy:

Hilariously old references aside holy shit am I excited for this. I'd like to point out that the map is actually unlimited (or rather, isn't locked to the 9 they describe) but you have to unlock it to be able to buy more squares than 9 due to laggy-laggy frames. Basically, if your computer can run it, you can build it.

Correct. Though you're still population limited, the unlocks-25-tiles mod will let you reach population cap while still having some cute little hamlets in your city.

Last week I watched streams of this game as everyone and their dogs were streaming it. And it really looks like a great game. I normally am not into city builder games (Not enough to justify their prices atleast). But this looks like one I would spend a lot of time in.
Hopefully, it will be.

Well fuck my budget plans. This is going to be bought hard. Like really, really hard.

"But then Paradox Interactive swung in through the window wearing a rakish tricorne hat and clenching a dagger 'tween his teeth, robbing the bloated and dastardly Duke EA of his tidy little monopoly, giving good City Simulators to the peasants for a much more reasonable price!"

Paradox can always be trusted to produce interesting games. But when it's interesting and good, then we've gone gold.

Will check this game out at some point :P

Ooooooh dammit this may be the first time the escapist has taken a sledgehammer to my willpower. I...need money...for sushi this weekend but..agah.

Lil_Rimmy:

Barbas:

OT:

I loved Sim City even with how awful many of it's choices were, simply because it was the first of it's kind in a while. And now this...

Truly, the gods smile upon us. And probably will smite us too as soon as we unlocked the disasters.

I wish there was an option for an Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny (good guys, bad guys and explosions....)

I've been watching livestream upon livestream of this game, and this review is the perfect excuse to buy me this great piece of work.

FFS.

I don't WANT to chip out of my school money for games. But holy cow, THIS REVIEW.

Hnnnnnnnnng... Halp...

Barbas:

Yea. I'm looking forward to this one, but I think that I am going to hold off until the first patch or two and see how it holds up before I shell out for it. Looks great so far though, doesn't it!

I am interested in this but have never really played a city management game since Sim City on the SNES. For those who have played it does it have a difficult learning curve?

Blazing Hero:
I am interested in this but have never really played a city management game since Sim City on the SNES. For those who have played it does it have a difficult learning curve?

No. Once you figure out decent traffic flow you'll be fine. Seriously, my SO had never played a sim game and she figured it out in an hour or so.

JonB:

Blazing Hero:

No. Once you figure out decent traffic flow you'll be fine. Seriously, my SO had never played a sim game and she figured it out in an hour or so.

Awesome! Then I'll pick it up after work. Thanks!

Hey, the developers' address is right by my bus trip to school and back. How cool is that!! The game doesn't fit into my backlog, though.

Also, fuck y'all's budgets.

JonB:
Also, fuck y'all's budgets.

MY PRECIOUS MONIES HOW CAN YOU DO THIS TO ME. ;____;

Eh, I didn't need food anyways...

EA may have killed Sim City, but it has now been resurrected in a new body. Long live Cities: Skylines! Hip hip hooray!

JonB:

Lil_Rimmy:

Correct. Though you're still population limited, the unlocks-25-tiles mod will let you reach population cap while still having some cute little hamlets in your city.

Ah, righto, didn't know that. Then again, I'm fairly certain as soon as someone hits said limit there will be about 35 different mods letting you build past the limit.

Because yay PC.

I haven't played a city builder since Sim City 2000. This looks like a steal a 30 bucks. I will definitely have to pick it up. It's nice to see a developer willing to break out of the mold of always selling games at the $60 dollar price.

Lil_Rimmy:

Barbas:

"Chuck Norris" should be replaced by "Colossal Order".

On topic: Woah! It was that good?

I mean I have been watching the pre release streams, and it sure looked good, but still: the highest score possible? Impressive.

Is there a non-steam or physical copy version of the game?

looks good

one of the maxis studios was closed down recently, but with games like this i think this video is appropiate

AuldMan:

Barbas:

Yea. I'm looking forward to this one, but I think that I am going to hold off until the first patch or two and see how it holds up before I shell out for it. Looks great so far though, doesn't it!

I bought it today and have put about 5 hours into it, and most of that was just kinda fucking around as I learned how everything works again since i haven't played a city builder since simcity 2000. For $30 you are getting a game with hundreds of hours of content as you try to optimize your city (if you are into that sort of thing). It is half the price of most AAA games these days and will most likely last longer then all of them. I saw the review on here, as well as Lazy Game Reviews and wanted it, and the $30 price tag pushed me over the edge.

I haven't encountered a single issue in the game (relatively small amount of time, but still impressive compared to some of the other games that have been released recently) and since it is already the price of AAA games a year after launch, I would encourage you to get it if you like this game.

Not to mention the Modding community will be ginormous in this game, and I am extremely excited about that.

Paradox are starting to show they deserve to be up there with the big boys. Their close ties to Obsidian and inExile also show them to be willing to cooperate rather than compete in the industry.

While I'm not a city builder fan I'm happy to see Paradox knocking this out of the park. Here's hoping they can start working on Victoria III.

I still prefer SimCity 4 but with the amount of mods already available I can see this game become the new standard.

Nimcha:
I still prefer SimCity 4 but with the amount of mods already available I can see this game become the new standard.

Any suggestions on mods to look into? I'm probably going to buy this game next week.

I honestly didn't know if Paradox could do it, but, after putting several hours into it last night when I only intended to put one hour of game play in. I have to say, I really really like it.

Is it worthwhile to pick up the deluxe edition, or is the difference between it and the standard edition too small for one to be bothered?

Does the game require a constant internet connection and where are the savegames saved (local or cloud)?
I live on the country and have very limited internet access.

geier:
Does the game require a constant internet connection and where are the savegames saved (local or cloud)?
I live on the country and have very limited internet access.

The game works offline. There is a check box if you wish to save to your steam cloud or locally.

Great, thanks for the info !

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here