The Four Stages of Creative Sandbox Gaming

The Four Stages of Creative Sandbox Gaming

"The Four Stages of Creative Sandbox Gaming"

Read Full Article

Full Frontal Nerdity is part of the Escapist now?!

That's pretty neat.

That comic was definitely worth the click. I'm glad to see some new content coming in. I look forward to more of these.

Remember that Zero Punctuation video Yahtzee did on webcomics before he joined the Escapist? I believe one of the things he mentioned in it was about comics that fill panels up with too much text.

I think this comic falls victim to that pitfall.

I think the writer needs to take show don't tell to heart when you're in a visual medium don't just describe something show it

Booyah!

I remember Aaron Williams from Nodwick (at the time when I used to play D&D), although I don't remember why I never got into that comic.

Did CTRL+ALT+DEL leak into this one or something? It has a serious WORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDS issue.

A webcomic that's older than the escapist (or close to it) on the escapist. Madness.

Didn't find it funny, unfortunately :`(

What could possibly pass for a wyvern in Shadow of the Colossus?

this hits home for my experience with besiege, I completed alot of those missions with the exact same "oh..it prematurely exploded..but still set everything on fire and I won anyways, cool."

made the mistake of finding the besiege reddit..dear god am I fucking horribad compared to the artists on there.

I'm afraid this reminds me a little of this....

Kardsymalone:
I think the writer needs to take show don't tell to heart when you're in a visual medium don't just describe something show it

Did you want them to show the tap-dancing monstrosity on their screen? I think they told us just enough to let our own sick, twisted imagination fill in the blank.

[shudder]

Besiege is one of those games where I like looking at the outcome rather than playing it. Favourite Steam Review so far: "Tried to make a Trebuchet that fired a bomb. Made a bomb which fired a Trebuchet. 11/10."

And I didn't think it was too wordy. Then again I like Basic Instructions and other comics that use the strip format more as a way to carry a short joke or concept than a way to show off how fancy your art is, so what do I know.

I've always liked Aaron Williams stuff. Seeing one of his strips here unexpectedly just made my day.

That was so unfunny I had to groan...
Seriously, it's a comic, if there's more text than art, then you're doing it wrong.
Show, don't tell.

I'm apparently the only one in this thread unfamiliar with the comic writer. It must be admitted, it's an excellent name for a gaming and technology comic.

My suspicion is there's an age component involved in this sandbox game obsession. I tried to play Halo with my nephews, and after a couple proper games all they wanted to do was fuck around in Forge creating the stupidest maps. Hours later, I come back and they're still up to the same thing.

Well I like the art style, but I agree with other posters that there are way too many words in each panel

Teh werds make mi head hurt! @[email protected]

Seriously though. The amount of words was okay. But I just didn't find it 'haha' funny. Mildly amusing. I understood the joke and the game. But it didn't resonate with me. Guess we shall see more in the next panel.

It's more like reading a short article than a comic, but as long as that's not the typical amount? Still, couldn't help but be reminded of a certain Zero Punctuation episode.

Is... is this new content?

On the Escapist?

That was actually worth clicking on?

My God. I may have to take a little nap to recover from this excitement.

Zhukov:

On the Escapist?

Well when about a third of the initial response to the comic is as warm a welcome as Escapist gives, is it any wonder new artists and content makers are flooding to the site?

Welcome to the Escapist Full Frontal Nerdity! We're Sorry! (I am at least)

The Hungry Samurai:

Zhukov:

On the Escapist?

Well when about a third of the initial response to the comic is as warm a welcome as Escapist gives, is it any wonder new artists and content makers are flooding to the site?

Ehh, this is positively gushing compared to the reception Jim originally received when he started the Jimquisition on The Escapist. (Though to be fair, the first few episodes were rather terrible).

Dont worry Mr. Williams, this is as friendly as we get, we're a curmudgeonly bunch. Just stay out of the Basement.

And after googling that wyvern, I've concluded that it's fucking awesome. I've also seen someone that replicated a Starcraft siege tank, which could transform from regular tank to siege mode. And I've gone on a similar spirit journey myself, and come to the same conclusion on my ability to build these things.

The Hungry Samurai:

Zhukov:

On the Escapist?

In my experience, the warmth of the reception is roughly proportional to the quality of the content.

For comparison, here is the comments thread for the first episode of 'Reel Phyics'. Have a read.

Ah man Aaron Williams is on The Escapist? Awesome! Love Nodwick and FFN! Quite an accomplishment to get one of the people who got their comic strips regularly published in Dragon and Dungeon Magazines!

The Hungry Samurai:

Zhukov:

On the Escapist?

Why should people thank them for something they didn't care for?

OT: Honestly, I can't really say anything too new about this. For me, it was really unfunny. Maybe it wasn't supposed to be funny though. Maybe it's just them going "hey look, you can relate to this!" Fine, I guess... Even still, way too wordy. I bet you they could have gotten their message across without a single word (besides the title to set it up) and it would have been way more effective.

RedDeadFred:

The Hungry Samurai:

Zhukov:

On the Escapist?

OT: Honestly, I can't really say anything too new about this. For me, it was really unfunny. Maybe it wasn't supposed to be funny though. Maybe it's just them going "hey look, you can relate to this!" Fine, I guess... Even still, way too wordy. I bet you they could have gotten their message across without a single word (besides the title to set it up) and it would have been way more effective.

Well I know this flies in the face of all internet logic, but why take time out of your day to tell someone you didn't like their comic, or better yet tell them how they should do it? Escapist will keep publishing this known, established, and respected artist with an already existing fanbase for as long as he's willing, they're paying, and it's still drawing hits.

All you're doing is keeping him around (Thanks btw, I enjoyed the comic) and making yourself look very judgmental, which I was just stating annoys me because it reflects the general attitude of the escapist community as of late.

The way some people act on these forums lately you'd think the site changed it's name to the Elitist

Looks pretty cool. Can't wait to see more by this guy in the future.

The Hungry Samurai:

RedDeadFred:

The Hungry Samurai:

Well I know this flies in the face of all internet logic, but why take time out of your day to tell someone you didn't like their comic, or better yet tell them how they should do it? Escapist will keep publishing this known, established, and respected artist with an already existing fanbase for as long as he's willing, they're paying, and it's still drawing hits.

All you're doing is keeping him around (Thanks btw, I enjoyed the comic) and making yourself look very judgmental, which I was just stating annoys me because it reflects the general attitude of the escapist community as of late.

The way some people act on these forums lately you'd think the site changed it's name to the Elitist

Yes, how dare we constructively criticize something you like! No one is saying anything along the lines of "ugh that really sucked please stop", people are explaining their issues in the hopes that it gets better. It kind of baffles me that you don't get that. I'm sorry, but I actually really like this site so I'm going to voice my concerns about the content if I have them.

Also, for most people in the thread, it seems like this was the first time they'd ever seen one of these comics. It's not like we're going "oh ya, there's a comic maker I don't like, I think I'll go and complain about him". Maybe those people will read a few more to see if the content changes or to see if this comic wasn't indicative of the rest of their work. I know I'm willing to give them a couple more chances before ignoring them.

The wyvern, since no one else posted it: http://i.imgur.com/opCV0AV.webm

I'm glad you have your stuff posted here now Aaron! I actually have a reason to come to this sight other than Shamus now. :)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here