Shock Value

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Shock Value

I figured we'd just double down on people shouting at us.

Read Full Article

Oddly enough, I have seen that video. Except there was milk involved as well.

Loving that "ANAL DEATH CUNT" shirt though.

Wow...a little shocking..

I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

No wonder we have become such accepting societies.

Bob_McMillan:
Loving that "ANAL DEATH CUNT" shirt though.

Yeah, I thought I was the only one who listened to that band. They're really starting to break through...

Now the trick with this one is to NOT loose our minds here

Woooo Anal Death Cunt!

I'm surprised you don't go with the Swedish Goregrind band Anal Aids.
Or the Dutch band Anal Squirt Massacre.
Although maybe the Finnish band Anal Desecrating Penis Mutilation may be more up your alley.

This is the best one in a while.

Cool, so this week is Columbine for shock value.

Next I recommend you create a cartoon of Mohammad and Jesus making out in a gay bar. That should achieve what you're looking for in this comic.

But be warned, once you go there you're pretty much unable to top that unless you also want to depict Mohammad with his 9 year old wife Aisha (technically she already married to him when she was around the age 7 but it was not consummated until her age 9 or 10 when Mohammad was 53). That way you can include pederasty to the list of shocking depictions. Just think about it, you could depict him playing with her in the park and someone telling him he has a cute daughter then him outraged that they talked about his wife that way.

FYI, these are all terrible ideas. But just like you pointed out in the cartoon, you just aren't shocking us until you go all the way. We are of the internet and our values have been shocked to the point of frying.

EDIT: Clarified that Aisha was the one that was 6-7 when married and not Mohammad. An individual Pm'd me thinking that I was talking about Mohammad himself.

That's...um. That's...it's...something.

I guess I get the joke...kinda.

What's this about again?

Swing and a miss.

Lightknight:
That should achieve what you're looking for in this comic.

You mean getting shot by extremist nuts? In that case, sure, go for it.
(As the comic itself in not exactly in good taste I believe no one will mind)

OT: Yeah, I can certainly see the joke in there, it just ain't working for me.

Swing and a THUNK. I feel so bad for laughing. D:

Three japanese ladies shitting into the mouth of a fourth puts that newfa-friend off his breakfast?

Guess he's never been to /d/.

dangoball:

Lightknight:
That should achieve what you're looking for in this comic.

You mean getting shot by extremist nuts? In that case, sure, go for it.
(As the comic itself in not exactly in good taste I believe no one will mind)

OT: Yeah, I can certainly see the joke in there, it just ain't working for me.

Depends, is their goal to tank Critical Miss to support their spin off series? If so, pissing off everyone imaginable would be the goal.

Then again, they definitely go through cycles of attempting to piss people off. I just don't remember them being this diverse as to incorporate school shootings and whatnot. But maybe I'm wrong. I've only really been following it for a few years now.

From a marketing perspective, if they plan to eventually strike out on their own with the Erin Dies Alone franchise, it would benefit them personally to tank this series. Which may or may not be what they're doing. It may be contractually difficult to prove that Erin Dies Alone isn't part of the Critical Miss franchise that the Escapist has rights to so that may not be the case.

Have they been this overtly offensive for this long of a period in the past? If this is standard fare for Critical Miss then I'm just viewing the antics with ultra-jaded business glasses and that's my fault for dealing with PR for too long. But targeting people who don't like school shootings, people who own AMD cards, people who own consoles, that's a pretty wide net to just happen to coincide with the release of a new Patreon-funded series.

erttheking:
That's...um. That's...it's...something.

I guess I get the joke...kinda.

What's this about again?

I think it's about a theory (or a fact, I dunno) that teens do many things to shock and/or get attention of their parents.

Isn't the fact that the school-shooting joke on the last panel barely shocked me itself an interesting commentary on how we've become so desensitised to so many things because of the internet?

yamy:
Isn't the fact that the school-shooting joke on the last panel barely shocked me itself an interesting commentary on how we've become so desensitised to so many things because of the internet?

I was thinking the same thing. A comic about the internet desentizing us, then trying to grab us with a shock punchline to try to prove its point?

Thanks CM for making me ill at the prospect of the future again. :/

yamy:

Whoa, as the other poster said, so meta....

yamy:

+1

Lightknight:
Have they been this overtly offensive for this long of a period in the past? If this is standard fare for Critical Miss then I'm just viewing the antics with ultra-jaded business glasses and that's my fault for dealing with PR for too long. But targeting people who don't like school shootings, people who own AMD cards, people who own consoles, that's a pretty wide net to just happen to coincide with the release of a new Patreon-funded series.

No, they've been attacking various targets forever, the only thing new here is the school-shooting part. People thought the comic was going to die after the WGDF, but it didn't happen, so this won't do it either.

Playing with guns for so long, both real and virtual, the idea of being shot at isn't all too scary anymore. The idea of not being allowed to have my own gun with me is a little un-nerving, as I still can't master the Kamehameha...

I like the last line. I think it was implying he would have to pierce something lower than his chest. Although the shock value of trying to shoot up a school is both A tacky, and B insulting.

The teenage son isn't very bright. The way to shock a 4chan reader is to be normal and emotionally well adjusted.

Lightknight:
But be warned, once you go there you're pretty much unable to top that unless you also want to depict Mohammad with his 9 year old wife Aisha (technically already married to him at around age 7 but not consummated until age 9 or 10). That way you can include pederasty to the list of shocking depictions. Just think about it, you could depict him playing with her in the park and someone telling him he has a cute daughter then him outraged that they talked about his wife that way.

That already exists. It's a "satirical" german OELVN that depicts the protagonist traveling back in time (or just hallucinating, or something... it was a bit of a fucked up story) and accidentally getting into an explicitly drawn threesome with Aisha and Mohamed. So yeah, the taboo train has already whistled by on that one (and yet it wasn't even the stupidest or most inflammatory part of that game, taken that it was advocating that pedophilia should be legalized because the kids really love it and that anyone who disagrees is either a hypocrite, fascist or a literal demon...)

Before you ask, I only read it because of a semi-professional obligation, and it was one of the most mind-numbing things I have ever seen, which says volumes taken that I routinely read obscure Japanese sex-romps for reviews already... -.-'

That's... not funny. Acting like spree murderers do it for attention... or something? It may sometimes be a factor, I guess, that's what the media keeps saying, but still... gee. Not exactly shocked, just... disappointed.

lacktheknack:

Lightknight:

No, they've been attacking various targets forever, the only thing new here is the school-shooting part. People thought the comic was going to die after the WGDF, but it didn't happen, so this won't do it either.

I'm not referring to this comic as a one off. I'm referring to a series of offensive comics specifically targetting various groups. Console gamers -> Computer Gamers (also People who don't like gargantuan penis comics I suppose), -> More computer gamers and the poor -> People who don't like school shootings.

That's just the past couple weeks. Do their more "offensive" cycles usually target such a large swathe of people?

GabeZhul:

Lightknight:
But be warned, once you go there you're pretty much unable to top that unless you also want to depict Mohammad with his 9 year old wife Aisha (technically already married to him at around age 7 but not consummated until age 9 or 10). That way you can include pederasty to the list of shocking depictions. Just think about it, you could depict him playing with her in the park and someone telling him he has a cute daughter then him outraged that they talked about his wife that way.

That already exists. It's a "satirical" german OELVN that depicts the protagonist traveling back in time (or just hallucinating, or something... it was a bit of a fucked up story) and accidentally getting into an explicitly drawn threesome with Aisha and Mohamed. So yeah, the taboo train has already whistled by on that one (and yet it wasn't even the stupidest or most inflammatory part of that game, taken that it was advocating that pedophilia should be legalized because the kids really love it and that anyone who disagrees is either a hypocrite, fascist or a literal demon...)

Before you ask, I only read it because of a semi-professional obligation, and it was one of the most mind-numbing things I have ever read, and I routinely read obscure Japanese sex-romps for reviews already... -.-'

Well, gross, didn't know that already existed.

I was making the recommendation satirically rather than really recommending it. As they stated in this comic, their intent is to rile and so my point was that this is small potatoes compared to what they could be doing.

I guess I just don't frequent those dark places of the internet: I'm shocked.

This reminds me of that thread the other day about whether it bothered people to see videos of real death and one guy just did not give a shit. It bugs the hell out of me.

Then again, I've always been called 'sensitive'.

Edit: I'm offended, but in way do I want the comic or the makers of it to be penalized. It's art, and like all art, it doesn't hurt to be provocative.

Fear the future...

EDA is handling the plot, meaning Critical Miss has free reign to go into a gutter and snipe at people.

Also, so meta it evolves into a Hipster Butterfree

MCerberus:
EDA is handling the plot, meaning Critical Miss has free reign to go into a gutter and snipe at people.

Also, so meta it evolves into a Hipster Butterfree

As their patreon page discusses, the Escapist has rights to critical Miss and could fire the creators if they so desired and have Critical Miss continued via different artists and writers.

This is the entire reason for why they created "Erin dies alone" and had it funded through Patreon so they could produce a work that isn't Escapist own should they leave the Escapist.

Basically, they are using the Escapist to publicize a second series as a means to keep on going.

The problem is that this creates a conflict of interest. They are minimally invested in keeping Critical Miss going and are motivated to have viewers migrate to their own series.

The only problem I'd point out is that Erin could be considered a Critical Miss character and this spin off could be considered part of the franchize that the Escapist already has rights to. This would be like the creator of Transformers selling his IP and then creating a series of movies called "Optimus dies alone". I don't know that the Escapist would give a rats ass about an of this though.

OK that did make me laugh, it's going to be rather difficult for our kids to shock us.

My only question is...who reads a physical newspaper after 15 years on the internet? Shouldn't the dad just be on a laptop or something? Why haven't we evolved this cliché?

Lightknight:
The problem is that this creates a conflict of interest. They are minimally invested in keeping Critical Miss going and are motivated to have viewers migrate to their own series.

Yes, its not like they make money off of Critical Miss or anything. Besides, even if they were, having a stable income as an artist is overrated.

Lightknight:
The only problem I'd point out is that Erin could be considered a Critical Miss character and this spin off could be considered part of the franchize that the Escapist already has rights to.

They worked this out before the first EDA was published. The artists own everything about EDA. EDA Erin =/= CM Erin

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here