Skynet Needs a Reboot

Skynet Needs a Reboot

Why the upcoming reboot of The Terminator franchise won't reflect current technology.

Read Full Article

Who cares about r/gaming, it's mostly rubbish and spam anyway. Now, if they took down r/games, then that might be cause for concern...

The Amazon panel finally got half of a smile out of me at least; lots of stuff gets better the longer the creators do it so maybe it will be the case here too.

Norix596:
The Amazon panel finally got half of a smile out of me at least; lots of stuff gets better the longer the creators do it so maybe it will be the case here too.

I just hope they'll realize that putting huge dialogue boxes in a comic isn't exactly good comic-writing. Come on guys, it's a largely visual medium. Your art style is nice enough, do make use of that a little more. More unwritten dialogue and storytelling as it were.

Cowabungaa:

Norix596:

I just hope they'll realize that putting huge dialogue boxes in a comic isn't exactly good comic-writing. Come on guys, it's a largely visual medium. Your art style is nice enough, do make use of that a little more. More unwritten dialogue and storytelling as it were.

I don't think the sheer amount of text is the problem but pacing that's the issue - the problem was most clear to me with the strip about the Captain America cosplay - they have the joke setup about his body type being stocky and the observation about the Rob Liefeld's absurd character design actually being appropriate for his body type then the last panel's picture is the punchline of him in the enormous suit - but then it dragged out after that with like three paragraphs of side commentary about the punch line in multiple speech bubbles which just kind of kneecaps their own punchline.

Norix596:

The first Full Frontal Nerdity was posted November 29 2001...
It's only new to the Escapist.

LiMaSaRe:

Norix596:

The first Full Frontal Nerdity was posted November 29 2001...
It's only new to the Escapist.

Oh, well NEVERMIND then haha.

I got a kick out of "Amazon Prime".

Norix596:
I don't think the sheer amount of text is the problem but pacing that's the issue - the problem was most clear to me with the strip about the Captain America cosplay - they have the joke setup about his body type being stocky and the observation about the Rob Liefeld's absurd character design actually being appropriate for his body type then the last panel's picture is the punchline of him in the enormous suit - but then it dragged out after that with like three paragraphs of side commentary about the punch line in multiple speech bubbles which just kind of kneecaps their own punchline.

That joke definitely went on too long. It should have stopped after the U-Haul joke at the latest.

Sad... sad but true

And if you guys aren't familiar with Aaron's style, you're going to be highly disappointed.

I always get the impression with these that you have one good idea, and in your excitement to use that idea, you don't care to develop it, execute it or time it properly so that comedy might result from it.

Brevity is the soul of wit guys, reducing the amount of text (and size of boxes to contain said text) would really help. Either that or spread the text out further if you can't cut it, which would require more cartoons to be drawn.

You wanna know something really scary? Skynet is already handling your 401k.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithmic_trading

Nerd jokes: because everybody in the world is a nerd.

Apparently 3rd time is not the charm.

I think these guys need to look at the Critical Miss stuff, and a personal favorite, Three Panel Soul. Even when 3PS gets dialogue heavy, it's still less text than one panel of FFN.

C'mon, you guys have been doing this for over 10 years?! You fucking me? Why are you making comics like amateurs? Bah, waste of time.

The way to get around the pacing of today's strip is to think of it as a set of 3 1-panel comics telling their own jokes about the same topic.

And if Skynet destroyed Tumblr, I think that would win us over to its side.

I still like it. Sometimes comics are wordy. Sometimes they work like that. If you want brevity in your comics go read something else, and allow those of us that like wordy comics too to enjoy this.

I know that if I don't have something nice to say I shouldn't say anything at all but... Christ...

After a few quite good comics, Williams has fallen back into the trap of the first couple of strips of having waaaay too much text.

Comics should be a visual medium. When half of each panel is covered with text, you're doing it wrong

nearly every comment on every comic:

DeRp! ToO MaNy WerDs. BrAiN cAn'T pRoceSs. Me nO liKe!

My answer remains:
STFU and go away, quit reading the comic and posting the same stupid comments over and over.
my god ya'all are the textbook definition of willfull stupidity.

justmyopinion:

Alfador_VII:
After a few quite good comics, Williams has fallen back into the trap of the first couple of strips of having waaaay too much text.

Comics should be a visual medium. When half of each panel is covered with text, you're doing it wrong

wake the F*** up. There is no set definition that a comic has to have a limited amount of words. that is so f***ing ignorant my brain hurts

Easy Tiger, it's just my opinion. If you like it, keep reading it, but I won't be, and I'm just offering my reasons for not doing so

Thats a lot of text :o

Why are people complaining about the amount of text, seriously, I want to know. I for one have had no trouble with the amount of text in the strips.

Just came here to see people complain about the dialogue. It's like people kvetching about Moviebob 2.0.

Because it takes up almost half the space of the comic strip, and is quite jarring when you first load it.

008Zulu:
Why are people complaining about the amount of text, seriously, I want to know. I for one have had no trouble with the amount of text in the strips.

I want to post a certain image macro that covers it but it would very much get me banned. But a google image search for "america reading eagle" should bring it up as the first result.

Crude joke aside. Really, I don't get what peoples' problem with words is. I know that this is a video games forum and that it's full of people trained for instant and quick gratification but if taking an extra 3-4seconds to read the comic really hurts your brain this much why not just stop viewing the comic?

There is no upper limit on how much text you can have in a comic strip. If it's more words than you like just move along.

Too long, did not read.

But seriously, it's about quality, not quantity.

VanQ:
I want to post a certain image macro that covers it but it would very much get me banned. But a google image search for "america reading eagle" should bring it up as the first result.

Crude joke aside. Really, I don't get what peoples' problem with words is. I know that this is a video games forum and that it's full of people trained for instant and quick gratification but if taking an extra 3-4seconds to read the comic really hurts your brain this much why not just stop viewing the comic?

There is no upper limit on how much text you can have in a comic strip. If it's more words than you like just move along.

Yeah it did. It was humorously sad.

I like the amount of text. It's clever humour rather than the dumbed-down one-shots you see on a political blog.

008Zulu:

Because it floods the strip and is paired with very bland, boring artwork. Rather than the art and writing working together to tell a joke it's just paragraphs of writing spread out over art that seems like an afterthought.

The writing isn't snappy or funny, it's telling a joke in 50 words that a better writer could tell in 10, and pair with good enough art to carry the joke further.

It's essentially over-explaining the joke.

It has nothing to do with the literacy of the people making the criticism so maybe people can come down from that particular high horse?

dragonswarrior:
I still like it. Sometimes comics are wordy. Sometimes they work like that. If you want brevity in your comics go read something else, and allow those of us that like wordy comics too to enjoy this.

This, basically. A lot of Aaron's work is very good.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here