#011: The Test

#011: The Test

Would you like to reverse the controls of your eyes?

Read Full Article

Heh, I hate replaying games where you can't skip the tutorial. Also, Rad is getting cuter by the comic strip, positively adorable in that last frame.

Heh, there is truth in this (and yeah, not being able to skip it the second time round...grrr...or worse, you can, but you get an XP bonus for completing it).

I wouldn't have thought "Laserese" would have such a pleasing ring to it, but life is full of surprises.

Competency test is the best way to describe that tutorial. It killed the enjoyment of the first halo for me every time I went through it because it felt like the game thought I was an idiot.

Yes I know how thumbsticks work, no I don't want to invert, no I don't want to try playing with inverted controls, yes I'm sure that I don't want to invert.

Looking at both the ceiling and the ground? They're better be some Zero-G shit later on in this game otherwise that was a pointless tutorial...

FPLOON:
Looking at both the ceiling and the ground? They're better be some Zero-G shit later on in this game otherwise that was a pointless tutorial...

To be fair it seems to typically be followed by the immersion breaking, "Don't like the controls? You can change the axis direction in Options!".

Dual analogue sticks are hardmode.

It's "ordnance". Ordinance is a set of instructions, which is what they're getting before the good kind of ordnance. Presumably they're also skipping the intensive, 5-hour "this is how you crouch" seminar?

Fasckira:

FPLOON:

To be fair it seems to typically be followed by the immersion breaking, "Don't like the controls? You can change the axis direction in Options!".

Except in this example, where no matter which of the two directions you use, you look up. It basically said "look up", then you moved the way you want to look up. Followed by "look down" for completion sake and then you were pretty much good to go in Halo. A few lines about that you might need to "get used to walking around again" (aka allowing you to freely walk around in the room for a minute) and then they kicked you out the door for the first level - which was still tutorial, but at least it made sense and you could shoot aliens.

Bolt Van Der Huge:
It's "ordnance". Ordinance is a set of instructions, which is what they're getting before the good kind of ordnance. Presumably they're also skipping the intensive, 5-hour "this is how you crouch" seminar?

Fixing that now. Thanks for the heads up.

Somehow, I think Rad just felt like screwing with the lady that added more waiting time between him and lasers.

I speak the Pewpewpew dialect of the language myself.

Rad confirmed for having ingrained sociopathic tendencies, apparently.

I always knew there was something a little off about that kid.

You THINK you can manage without the Flashlight-use refresher course, but do you know who else thought that? The Doom 3 Space Marine. And we all know how that turned out...

I HAAAAAAAAATE replaying that bit in a new save file, I just wanna skip this bullshit and start shooting aliens, dammit!

Well, this does explain why so many FPS protagonists seem to have no problem with killing hundreds of people. Nobody could get them screened for ingrained Sociopathy.

i hate when games tell me how to play especially the newer Need For Speed games. i have played games since i was 6 years old it is not like my computer would explode just because i pressed some bottoms

I distinctly remember that Mirror's Edge let's you skip the tutorial level. That was nice. Wish I could say the same for freaking Elder Scrolls games.

Man, I hate tutorials.

Unless I'm playing a From game, in which case I hate the lack of tutorials.

Caramel Frappe:
Ah yes, tutorials ... mostly useless in my opinion. Unless you're playing a complicated game like Civilization or Catherine, games tend to give you annoying tutorials to deal with. I enjoy the ones that throw you into chaos and you just 'learn' what to do like in Dead Space 2.

Eh, that can be fun too, but I don't mind tutorials if they weave them into the game well. So it feels more like it's a more natural part of the game rather than just a bit they put in to help acclimatize new players.

Not that the point is to have Unskippable (:c We miss you Paul and Graham) tutorials. Rather, they should be made in a way that makes it so you don't want to skip them. Even if you're replaying the game.

My favorites ones would be from Fallout 3 (for a longer example game), from Bioshock(for a medium length example game), and from Portal(for a shorter example game).

Fucking tutorials. Although, I do like it when they give you a firing range. I tend to spend way too much time trying to draw a smiley face with bullet holes.

I don't mind tutorials if they are short. It's pretty useless for me, simply telling me what buttons do what (or not even that as I can look at the control screen and movement, shooting and camera are almost always the same) is enough but I don't feel like it means the developers think I'm an idiot or something. It's for the people who are new to gaming or that genre and sometimes it's combined with a slow start for scene setting which they probably want to do anyway. For long tutorials that are boring and serve no purpose but to show you the controls or where they make you waste time practising before you can move on I would prefer the option to skip.

Fasckira:

FPLOON:

It's not immersion-breaking at that point, since the protagonist clearly has an anonymous being controlling certain parts of their entire body... and everyone except the protagonist knows that fact, but are too afraid to admit it since that would break the immersion for the protagonist in question...

I would like to see these tests implemented in basic training for the real world's armed forces.

Is this webcomic just videogame jokes? Don't you have another established comic strip on this site about videogame jokes? Why don't make these jokes on Critical Miss?

I don't get it. Why didn't Rad look down?

Astro Madness is no excuse for Astro Rudeness!!

TranshumanistG:

I try not to spoil jokes for people, but why do you think Rad would have problems with spatial awareness? Think on his era.

Caramel Frappe:
Also off topic, but Erin in this series is really cute....

"But, she's a fictional character brah."

And then I go "Sooooo..?" lol.

I agree, I especially like her expression in panel 4 when she's looking down. So sad, yet so adorable. Just makes me want to hug her.

The Wooster:

TranshumanistG:

I try not to spoil jokes for people, but why do you think Rad would have problems with spatial awareness? Think on his era.

He wasn't used to the new controller?

TranshumanistG:

The Wooster:

He wasn't used to the new controller?

As an early 90s videogame character Rad likely occupied a 2D side scrolling world. Even shooters of that era like Doom didn't have a look up/down function. Not until Quake anyway iirc.

Anyway, I'm loving EDA. I like the pacing, and the artwork is really good, especially Rad.

Could always just play on Heroic or Legendary. That skips the tutorial entirely.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.