#017 Inspiration

Pages PREV 1 2

BX3:
Also, I personally find it kinda offensive that you're trivializing the very real slaughter and abuse of horses with that last bit.

I'm not the one beating the proverbial dead horse, friend. I'm just pointing out that someone is.

I know it's a joke and all, but sometimes I get the feeling that people who cover games don't really care for gameplay.

Story / characters / setting seem to be of prime importance. That in itself is fine, but no mention of or discussion about mechanics, controls, core gameplay, but fawning over stuff that has even semi-decent writing (let's face it - games are not good in that area) just makes no sense when you're covering games. Gameplay should be supreme, but it almost never gets the spotlight, and even if it does - people barely discuss it in detail.

Is it because gameplay doesn't always lend itself to good discussion when compared to narrative elements? Or could it be because people who are in this business are usually good writers and are more interested in issues that pertain to writing?

That wasn't strictly aimed at the comic, btw. Sorry if this seems a bit off-topic.

Fappy:
I'm just waiting for Erin to begin relentlessly spawn killing Rad until he gets annoyed enough to put in another game.

I'm strangely okay with this...

sageoftruth:

inu-kun:
Again, pointing to a trope =/= actual joke.

I think the real joke was the silly way in which the characters managed to justify the trope. Who has ever put that much thought into why space soldiers are running back and forth capturing each other's flags?

Red vs Blue?

Davroth:

zombiejoe:

Davroth:

Damn, seems like I hit a nerve there. There, there. I'll get you some blankets and some hot cacao. It'll be alright, pumpkin. Everything will be alright.

Man, everyone is just so sassy on these forums.

The hilarious part to me is that I never really commented on the quality of the joke. But yeah, rape and suicide jokes are just so damn classy. In fact, they are the pinnacle of comedy. Just ask the aristocrats.

Tell me, where did I say anything about the quality of the joke?

Davroth:

BX3:
Also, I personally find it kinda offensive that you're trivializing the very real slaughter and abuse of horses with that last bit.

I'm not the one beating the proverbial dead horse, friend. I'm just pointing out that someone is.

Irrelevant! The use of the phrase in the first place is what promotes your thoughtlessness. How'm I supposed to laugh at overdone suicide jokes when you're over here using animal abuse as a turn of phrase appropriate for voicing your displeasure? How?!

The Wooster:

inu-kun:

Question. What do you think was "the joke" in this strip and the previous one?

I've been asking myself this for the series since it's inception, the MC is unlikable and just a mouth piece for the writer a la Brian, the jokes are just "this trope exist" and the only reason I'm reading is in the vain hope it will have an actual payoff.

BX3:

Davroth:

BX3:

Irrelevant! The use of the phrase in the first place is what promotes your thoughtlessness. How'm I supposed to laugh at overdone suicide jokes when you're over here using animal abuse as a turn of phrase appropriate for voicing your displeasure? How?!

Would you like some hot cacao as well? You seem in emotional distress, and chocolate is good for the nerves I hear.

Davroth:
Would you like some hot cacao as well? You seem in emotional distress, and chocolate is good for the nerves I hear.

I'M DIABETIC!

BX3:

Davroth:

I'M DIABETIC!

A diabetic bear? I didn't even know bears can be diabetic and use a keyboard. What a world we live in.

But once they have their flag then they'll have two bases in the middle of a boxed canyon. Whoop de fucking do.

BX3:

Davroth:

I'M DIABETIC!

Oh my God, table flipping bear! Also, it's fine. It happened to me once.

Ruisu:
Erin's waifu material is shooting through the roof

...of her mouth!

hurr...

Or at least she would be if her gun worked.

I get the feeling Erin doesn't like FPS games.

Davroth:
Suicide jokes. And I thought this webcomic couldn't become any more classy.

Suicide is hilarious, not as hilarious as life, mind you, but funny with the right setup.

But yeah, rape and suicide jokes are just so damn classy. In fact, they are the pinnacle of comedy. Just ask the aristocrats.

"The Aristocrats", you say?

(The comic isn't all that funny because it makes fun of stuff that has been made fun of for years by now. Talk about beating a dead horse.)

Nothing new under the sun and what not. It seems you're mad about the subject matter because with that mentality you'd hate anything and everything for either being the same as something in the past or being derivative of said works.

Edit: Youtube Embed Fix

DerangedHobo:

Davroth:
Suicide jokes. And I thought this webcomic couldn't become any more classy.

Suicide is hilarious, not as hilarious as life, mind you, but funny with the right setup.

But yeah, rape and suicide jokes are just so damn classy. In fact, they are the pinnacle of comedy. Just ask the aristocrats.

"The Aristocrats", you say?

(The comic isn't all that funny because it makes fun of stuff that has been made fun of for years by now. Talk about beating a dead horse.)

Nothing new under the sun and what not. It seems you're mad about the subject matter because with that mentality you'd hate anything and everything for either being the same as something in the past or being derivative of said works.

Edit: Youtube Embed Fix

Nah I just don't like lazy webcomics that make fun of stuff that was relevant like a year ago and throws in suicide jokes as a punchline. At least the dickwolves joke had actual context, the suicide joke not so much.

I love most things. And most people. Disliking things puts a real strain on me. So I try to avoid it with all my might.

Davroth:
Nah I just don't like lazy webcomics that make fun of stuff that was relevant like a year ago and throws in suicide jokes as a punchline. At least the dickwolves joke had actual context, the suicide joke not so much.

You know that the joke is essentially poking fun at world powers which have been doing this shit for centuries, right? If the current state of affairs doesn't make you at least consider suicide then I need some of what you're on.

I love most things. And most people. Disliking things puts a real strain on me. So I try to avoid it with all my might.

Hate really does get a bad rap, you should try it more often.

FFN, take some lessons on how to make comics rather than novels.

On topic: I am REALLY loving this storyline so far.

DerangedHobo:

Davroth:

You know that the joke is essentially poking fun at world powers which have been doing this shit for centuries, right? If the current state of affairs doesn't make you at least consider suicide then I need some of what you're on.

Hate really does get a bad rap, you should try it more often.

I can't share my body chemistry, friend hobo person. It doesn't work that way. Anyway, if that was the authors intention, again, that was topical a year ago. The criticism remains the same. Moreover, one could be forgiven for thinking this was a webcomic about video games. How silly of me. I feel so cynical even considering the alternative.

Nah, I don't even have capacities to hate people. Even people deserving of it. I don't know how I would even muster any hate for lazy webcomics.

Davroth:
Anyway, if that was the authors intention, again, that was topical a year ago.

Not to drag this out but how was that topical a year ago? This shit is happening all the time and the military industrial complex hasn't dissipated over the last year, not from my perspective anyway.

Moreover, one could be forgiven for thinking this was a webcomic about video games. How silly of me. I feel so cynical even considering the alternative.

You can tell a lot about a society by its popular media, to say that the two remain separate seems pretty misguided to me (even if it wasn't the user's or the comic writers intent).

Nah, I don't even have capacities to hate people. Even people deserving of it. I don't know how I would even muster any hate for lazy webcomics.

Just an observation but it seems like you replaced your capacity to hate with passive aggression. Just gonna throw that out there.

hittite:

sageoftruth:

inu-kun:

I think the real joke was the silly way in which the characters managed to justify the trope. Who has ever put that much thought into why space soldiers are running back and forth capturing each other's flags?

Red vs Blue?

Nice.

DerangedHobo:

Davroth:
Anyway, if that was the authors intention, again, that was topical a year ago.

Not to drag this out but how was that topical a year ago? This shit is happening all the time and the military industrial complex hasn't dissipated over the last year, not from my perspective anyway.

Moreover, one could be forgiven for thinking this was a webcomic about video games. How silly of me. I feel so cynical even considering the alternative.

You can tell a lot about a society by its popular media, to say that the two remain separate seems pretty misguided to me (even if it wasn't the user's or the comic writers intent).

Just an observation but it seems like you replaced your capacity to hate with passive aggression. Just gonna throw that out there.

You lost me. I don't know what you are talking about anymore.

Are you saying Halo was trying to make those kinds of observations? Because those games never struck me as deep like that. Or is it supposed to be commentary on how unaware Halo is of those things? Halo seems like a poor choice then since the last new entry in the series has been so long ago. No matter how I look at it, I don't see anything thought provoking here. The military industrial complex exists. Stop the presses, that's some breaking news. Further, I find it kind of jarring that that's what the comic is supposed to be about all of the sudden when so far it consisted of Erin's dellusions, Erin coping with her depression and poking fun at video game tropes. Frankly I don't buy it. I think you, mr hobo, read too much into it.

You certainly read too much in what I write if your read is passive aggression. I'm not super surprised since that happens to me from time to time. It's my penance for learning English from British novelists and television.

Davroth:
Are you saying Halo was trying to make those kinds of observations? Because those games never struck me as deep like that. Or is it supposed to be commentary on how unaware Halo is of those things? Halo seems like a poor choice then since the last new entry in the series has been so long ago.

Halo obviously wasn't making those observations, either the writers are too soft in the head or they realized that they were making a console exclusive franchise and they backed the fuck up. And regardless of whether or not Halo was a long time ago (Internet doesn't have an expiry date), those themes and tropes are still plagued throughout media. Gun in one hand, old glory painted dick in the other.

The military industrial complex exists. Stop the presses, that's some breaking news.

This statement confuses me, it's like saying "Oh look, America has a torture camp in view of everyone! Stop the presses! har ha-" oh wait. If you want to get technical about it, we really shouldn't give a fuck about anything, nihilism and all that but if I were to put aside that moot point (and you kinda have to, it grinds discussion to a halt) and make a list of shit we should probably care about, the military industrial complex and countries profiting off of war in general would probably be up there with dick waving blind patriotism which is still prevalent in first world countries.

I think Doug Stanhope did a bit on how he's been yelling about the same shit for years and at this point he's given up, that's what your mentality kinda purports.

I find it kind of jarring that that's what the comic is supposed to be about all of the sudden when so far it consisted of Erin's dellusions, Erin coping with her depression and poking fun at video game tropes. Frankly I don't buy it.

Can't a comic poke fun at something or have some social commentary on the side? Fucking Erin is a shut-in talking to her delusional racoon imaginary friend while taking hits from her Evian bong.

I think you, mr hobo, read too much into it.

I assumed that was my right as a viewer.

It's my penance for learning English from British novelists and television.

Why would you learn English from British novelists and television presenters? They're a bunch of wankers.

Hilarious stuff so far, gents. Keep it up!

sageoftruth:

hittite:

sageoftruth:

Red vs Blue?

Nice.

I would like to put forth the rebuttal that there was very little thought put into that, as opposed to a great deal.
After all, you either shut your brain off whilst the Flag Zealots are talking, or it starts to ooze out of your ears. There's no way they escaped writing and acting that out with everything still intact.

OT: Not bad, although I think my favourite part of this strip was Erin's attempted suicide and one-liner afterwards; I like dark things, so sue me.

NerAnima:
OT: Not bad, although I think my favourite part of this strip was Erin's attempted suicide and one-liner afterwards; I like dark things, so sue me.

I think it's fairly obvious that I also found that to be the best part. I also now imagine her having the same voice as Raven in Teen Titans Go for some reason...

Davroth:

BX3:

Davroth:

I'M DIABETIC!

A diabetic bear? I didn't even know bears can be diabetic and use a keyboard. What a world we live in.

ArcaneGamer:
Oh my God, table flipping bear! Also, it's fine. It happened to me once.

Are you guys saying bears can't be diabetic or use a keyboard?

ARE YOU SAYING THEY WOULDN'T EVEN BE SMART ENOUGH TO MOVE A TABLE?!

What is wrong with you people?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or