Simple

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Simple

Long form and mean.

Read Full Article

I've never liked Twitter. The people who created it, surely they would have known it would have been used like it is.

Buffy
Faith
Illyria
Echo
River
Zoe

With that kind of background, it's clear that this Joss Whedon guy is a menace to women everywhere. Pass the pitchforks!

I remember the old days before all this social media. The day's that 4chan and 7chan fought in the Boxxy Wars.

I can't say I blame Joss for leaving Twitter. The site has one big issue - that it is far easier to insult someone in 140 characters than it is to communicate a point. And it's even more difficult to convey a tone of voice in that space.

My sympathies to Joss Whedon - and everyone else who's had to put up with online harassment. Here's hoping Twitter finds a solution someday.

Not only that, but Twitter is the reductive, 140 characters thing to the power of tumblr, as retweets are functionally the same thing as reblogs.

It's why I quit Twitter after about a weekend when I first tried it. It's not a bad site. It's the very best at doing exactly what it was designed to do, but it's just not for me. I like to explain myself. I like to be long-form and detailed and to really unwrap the things I and other people say. You can't do that on Twitter. If you're not punchy, you won't get any attention, so anything that may require some kind of clarification or deeper examination gets bastardised, while attention gets showered on those who choose to say something stupid and inflammatory because it's easier for everyone to understand, and thus the stupidity gets circulated far and wide.

People need to learn that, just because the internet has the power to be an awesome melting-pot of universal discussion, not every platform is the right place to have every debate.

As I said in the Off Topic Discussion thread on this note:

RJ 17:
*In a pirate voice* Arrrgh! The loyalties of the rabid left be a harsh and fickle mistress!

Seriously, from what I can tell groups such as the over-aggressive feminists will never be satisfied because they don't want to be satisfied. If their grievances were ever addressed and resolved, they'd no longer have anything to be pissed off about...and then what would they do with their lives? They'd have lost their purpose.

Liked, hash tagged, reblogged. I have no idea where to do any of that crap...nor do I care to. Social media sucks, everyone knows it and not even logic can stop it.

burritos and soft tacos are basically the same thing except someone was too lazy to fold the soft taco 2 more times

also just wanted to brag, my local food truck has tongue burritos and they are delicious

that looks nothing like josh whedon. 0/10

Social Media, and the internet in general, gives everyone a voice. Unfortunately, omni-pricks, who's mission is either to make another person's life miserable or are SJWs who refuse to have level headed discussions, will make their shrill voices heard.

While I'm not a fan of his, I don't blame Joss Whedon for quitting the twitters. Would you want to spending much, valuable time out of the day blocking (or even having an assistant do it) users sending you hateful messages, with no discussion value? As fans and constructive critics have lost a method of contact with one of the major people behind the MCU, the only real winners here are the people who want to watch the world burn, and DC, to a lesser extent.

RJ 17:

RJ 17:
*In a pirate voice* Arrrgh! The loyalties of the rabid left be a harsh and fickle mistress!

Seriously, from what I can tell groups such as the over-aggressive feminists will never be satisfied because they don't want to be satisfied. If their grievances were ever addressed and resolved, they'd no longer have anything to be pissed off about...and then what would they do with their lives? They'd have lost their purpose.

I prefer to see them living without a purpose than all of us living in a shitstorm. Luckily those aren't the only two options.

It's obvious now that people will use their anonymity to say whatever is on the top of their heads, but I don't think the creators behind twitter knew how ridiculously vile it could become. Besides that, I have an idea of most twitter messages ranging between pointless and benign. We just tend to notice the horrible ones more...

I've found that discussing almost anything online evolves into standard responses. If someone is typing in a good-mannered way, people assume they're gullible. If someone states something, people will assume they're an arrogant know-it-all. If someone writes in an emotional way, others either respond to it in kind or assume them to be bi-polar freak without self control.

I find the most frustrating people to be those who refuse to consider any other viewpoint than their own. The worst ones are the hypocrits who flat out make no sense when they're caught breaking their own rules, and refuse to reassess the discussion.
Having grown up with instant messaging, chat channels and message boards, I've said some extremely stupid things (like most, if not all people) and facing those things really brings things into perspective.

-

On the topic of Josh Wedon, it's a weird situation where he has to agree with whatever is politically correct. Judging from some of the stuff he's posted I'd say he doesn't know much about what's going on and that he doesn't have time to involve himself. All he has are half-truth cliff-notes to go on and a pretty face telling him what to think (I'm referring to the GG situation).

There's no way to win as a public figure, in a situation like that.

008Zulu:
The people who created it, surely they would have known it would have been used like it is.

The creators, maybe.

The shareholders though, all they care about is the ad revenue the regular shitstorms generate.

And I guess this is a round about upvote for Reddit.

I don't care how silly it sounds, but one of the things I am most proud of in my life is that I have never - and will never - had an account on a social network site.

As a taco-kin, I am offended

The comic makes a great point but my offendedness outweighs my rational thinking

rofl, I have a friend in real life who is JUST like that with cardcaptor sakura, except for she does it in person so it gets groan worthy when she goes off on it.

otherwise, spot on, these platforms have been lightning rods for cuntness.

Where's the Escapist Like button? I can't find it! D:

Seriously though, this is one of my favourite strips you've put together. You have my opinion on Social Media all in one convenient place. Now I can just explain my position with a comic, like everyone else! Why aren't you on twitter Redlin? This comic. Now I want a breakfast burrito.

I'm glad I use none of these. I actually have a twitter account, but I only used it to stalk one of the developers of The Binding Of Isaac to try and get some info on the upcoming add-on back then. Haven't touched it since. I do use YouTube, though. I know the comment sections are usually called the worst pits of damnation, but in reality, I don't think they're too bad. At least not in the comments for videos I tend to frequent.

Simple... but rarely clean...

OT: Good thing I can't say the C-word otherwise I might end up being a C-word by unknowingly knowing what that means...

Other than that, who knew Erin could draw? Or chose to not use NGE as an example in this strip?

Only social media I use is Facebook, and that one is for chatting with friends and knowing what's going on. I very rarely make a post on my wall for many to see, mayb 3-6 times a year. I usually chat and talk in the groups I'm a part of.

I've never had a Twitter or Instagram account and seeing how my friends use them... I don't need one either.

Whatever happened to the days where we could express our displeasure in more than 140 characters? Feels like so long ago.

My experience with Tumblr is a little different.

To me, Tumblr is a place where a bunch of slacktivists go to smugly make the least controversial social commentary among like-minded people so they can all pat each other on the back for being so progressive.

What exactly happened to Joss Whedon? I've read an article or two but there were no specifics.

RJ 17:

RJ 17:

What they'll do and have done is find more and more petty things to whine about so they have something to continue to crusade against because however they might have started out they have become obsessed with fighting against their victimization so much they can no longer recognize that they really aren't being victimized in any real sense anymore.

This is true of any advocacy group eventually, they all fight against legitimate problems (if they ever had anything legitimate in the first place) for so long that once those problems are solved rather than pat themselves on the back, congratulate themselves on a job well done, and get on with their lives like sensible people they simply work to find anything they possibly can no matter how insignificant if they don't make something up outright to continue fighting against. In short, legitimate attempts at revolution give way to fanaticism. The best case scenario is they go more and more petty until they realize what they are doing and stop, worst case they become so obsessed with undoing their victimization they start victimizing others, becoming the next oppressors that have to be fought against and the cycle continues.

Bob_McMillan:
What exactly happened to Joss Whedon? Ive read an artiacke or two but there were no specifics.

"Great feminist" Joss Whedon was rabidly shamed and harassed because Avengers Age of Utron was deemed too sexist and misogynist by the same kind of people he so proudly used to defend on twitter.

Gatlank:

Bob_McMillan:
What exactly happened to Joss Whedon? Ive read an artiacke or two but there were no specifics.

"Great feminist" Joss Whedon was rabidly shamed and harassed because Avengers Age of Utron was deemed too sexist and misogynist by the same kind of people he so proudly used to defend on twitter.

Ah, so that's why they didn't actually mention who chased him off twitter.

Bob_McMillan:

Gatlank:

Bob_McMillan:

Ah, so that's why they didn't actually mention who chased him off twitter.

You can check this thread too.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.874894-Joss-Whedon-deletes-twitter-account-following-mass-of-feminist-criticism?page=1
One of the posts has pics of some of the tweets he got.

PsychicTaco115:
The comic makes a great point but my offendedness outweighs my rational thinking

So in other words you're just a generic internet goer? :P

Burritos are only better because they are portable, and you can eat one while doing literally anything else

Tacos, due to their open nature, allow you to stuff way more meat, cheese, and other taco-y goodness into it than any mere burrito can handle

DrownedAmmet:
Burritos are only better because they are portable, and you can eat one while doing literally anything else

Tacos, due to their open nature, allow you to stuff way more meat, cheese, and other taco-y goodness into it than any mere burrito can handle

You poor soul. What kind of tiny-ass burritos have you been being fed?

Problem with the 140 characters thing...

It's far easier to state a whole lot of bullshit in a small amount of words or time than it is to dismiss that same bullshit.

Fulfill is spelled incorrectly in the comic.

...I'll crawl back in my hole now.

Agree pretty wholeheartedly with the spirit of the comic.

It's true. But you want to know what the sad thing is?

These people type in three words of an uninformed opinion and we can't stop talking about them. That's the really sad thing. They barely have to try and the spotlight just zooms in on them.

Cuz we love some bullshit and to have someone to hate.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here