Escapist Podcast: 183: Will Heroes of the Storm Become the Best MOBA Game?

183: Will Heroes of the Storm Become the Best MOBA Game?

We field some viewer emails about Mac gaming, the feasibility of continuing to sell Xbox 360 units, and more, and discuss Heroes of the Storm.

Watch Video

Why doesn't the screen ever switch to CJ?

praetor_alpha:

He's too busy following the damn train.

praetor_alpha:

It's a technical limitation of Google Hangouts. I was recording from my screen, and my screen will only show Ron and Joe. But also, I'm not important to look at.

Loop Stricken:

praetor_alpha:

He's too busy following the damn train.

I swear, that game really spoke to me.

While Firefly was a great series it is not Post Apocalyptic setting, it is a Post-Post Apocalyptic setting. A Post Apocalyptic setting is set either at or shortly after the Apocalypse. While the was an Apocalypse in the past it takes place after Civilization has been rebuilt. Now if the Firefly story was taking place right after they left Earth during the initial settlement and before the Alliance was formed then it would have been Post Apocalyptic setting.

But instead Firefly is set after Civilization has been rebuilt and now that Civilization is encroaching on the frontier. So while it is more of a western it's more of a late western as the cowboy is struggling to stay relevant in a more "civilized" world.

Spyre2k:
While Firefly was a great series it is not Post Apocalyptic setting, it is a Post-Post Apocalyptic setting. A Post Apocalyptic setting is set either at or shortly after the Apocalypse. While the was an Apocalypse in the past it takes place after Civilization has been rebuilt. Now if the Firefly story was taking place right after they left Earth during the initial settlement and before the Alliance was formed then it would have been Post Apocalyptic setting.

But instead Firefly is set after Civilization has been rebuilt and now that Civilization is encroaching on the frontier. So while it is more of a western it's more of a late western as the cowboy is struggling to stay relevant in a more "civilized" world.

That is an excellent way of putting it. Post-post apoc.

Rhykker:

That is an excellent way of putting it. Post-post apoc.

Yeah, because those who try to classify anything that happens anytime after an Apocalypse are basically clamming that anything modern is set in the "Dark Ages". Because the whole idea of the Dark Ages was the Post-Apocalypse period that came with the fall of the Roman Empire. The term Apocalypse actually means a time of turmoil and great change, which does often result in the end of one thing but usually also the start of something else.

It came to mean the end of the World when someone wrote a book about the end of the world and titled it Apocalypse, or something similar. Because of that the term has come to mean the end of the world, or the end of Humanity when used in general conversation, especially during and after the cold-war as the threat of Nuclear annihilation was in the fore front of everyone's minds.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here