Splatoon Review - What Were They Inking?

Splatoon Review - What Were They Inking?

A better game than it has any right to be.

Read Full Article

Is the Escapist ever going to do video reviews again?

As it is, I get significantly more and significantly better information on a game from a quick Youtube search.

Well this sounds promising.
I wasn't expecting too much out of the singel player thing but it might actually be a bit of fun!
And no matter what this review would've said, I still would've bought this :P

Zhukov:
Is the Escapist ever going to do video reviews again?

Yes.

I hope if I purchase it digital to be able to play it later tonight.

IGN review: 7.8/10 too much ink

EDIT: Now seriously. I don't know if IGN is going smart or don't want to give it hype; but they are leaving the game unscored until they test the multiplayer at release.

Guffe:

I wasn't expecting too much out of the singel player thing but it might actually be a bit of fun!

Honestly I was expecting it to be super garbage, but it's about as fun as, say, super mario 3d world - even if it's way shorter.

JonB:

Guffe:

Honestly I was expecting it to be super garbage, but it's about as fun as, say, super mario 3d world - even if it's way shorter.

Oh maaan, >_<
Now when you said that I just have to keep myself from having too high expectations :P
Expectations are bad for game and movies, specially high expectations xD

Is it just me, or does the line "What were they inking?" suggest the review was going to be negative? That's the only reason I even bothered checking the review.

razer17:
Is it just me, or does the line "What were they inking?" suggest the review was going to be negative? That's the only reason I even bothered checking the review.

It make me think of AVGN trying to play Splatoon for some reason...

OT: I was already sold on this game pre-Direct, so this is definitely going on my "To-Buy-After-Obtaining-A-Wii-U" list...

so Nintendo make another fun game - news at 11!

Does nintendo ever release bad games? Still the wii U is languishing. Retro fans should buy wii u's when they become cheap soon as this system is going to be the expensive cult favourite 7-10 years from now.

People keep doubting Nintendo, and Nintendo keeps dumping on them.

You think they'd learn by now.

razer17:

*waves*

It certainly would have been funny if this game somehow turned out to be crap, or the reviewer turned out to be full of crap. Even after seeing footage of the beta tests, it's not entirely out of the question that the game would be marred by some bad decision or just terrible online like Animal Crossing: New Leaf had. I myself am not especially on board with the idea of a progression system where people are rewarded for playing more by being given an automatic advantage over other players; newbies have enough to contend with already. If anyone was smart enough to not try to copy Call of Duty, I was hoping it wouldn't be Nintendo.

Still, first new proper first-party IP from Nintendo in quite a while, eh? Hopefully this turns out to be the system seller they've been desperately needing.

I'm glad the reviews have been positive all around. I hope the game does well enough for Nintendo to really focus on making more new IPs, if only so we can get new fighters in future Smash Bros. games. And for making the Nintendo series lineup bigger of course. :P

EDIT: Swiggty Swoogity. I edited this booty.
Yep, definitely an escapist article. Nice to hear the games fun though!

Having managed to play a little during the last testfire I'm really glad to hear it has some solid stuff to offer besides that one multiplayer gametype. Don't get me wrong that one gametype is a ton of fun, but not worth 60 dollars, knowing now that it has some other good stuff to offer I might have to pick it up.

Also yeah, gonna have to agree with the rest of this thread the title had me expecting a negative review (or rather dreading it, since I've been interested in the game for a bit now). Glad to see that's not the case though, and can appreciate the pun.

Steve the Pocket:

Still, first new proper first-party IP from Nintendo in quite a while, eh?

14 years.

And step off my title. This is a game they never should have made because it shouldn't be good, and yet it is. It's a casual title in a hardcore genre.

What were they fucking thinking?

Does this mean that the Escapist won't put Yahtzee to play Splatoon for a Zero Punctuation episode? If so, would he feel lucky or unlucky?

I expect this has far too much material for Zero Punctuation video not to be made.

Just the intro would be

"here is a game that asks the hard questions.
I'm a kid or are you fucking kidding me with your marketing Nintendo
Go sit in the corner and explain yourself yourself
A game about small boys and girls,
who turn into squids to spill bodily fluids across a map."

Cannot wait

CaitSeith:
Does this mean that the Escapist won't put Yahtzee to play Splatoon for a Zero Punctuation episode? If so, would he feel lucky or unlucky?

JonB:

14 years.

And step off my title. This is a game they never should have made because it shouldn't be good, and yet it is. It's a casual title in a hardcore genre.

What were they fucking thinking?

Since you played the game and enjoyed it, I'd assume you can figure out what they were thinking. They were thinking whatever things make the game fun. Or are you suggesting that they didn't know what they were doing and made a fun game by accident?

LutjaSuki:
so Nintendo make another fun game - news at 11!

Does nintendo ever release bad games? Still the wii U is languishing. Retro fans should buy wii u's when they become cheap soon as this system is going to be the expensive cult favourite 7-10 years from now.

Not that I've noticed, and I've seen a lot of them.

Their worst games are merely kind of average. It's almost impossible to find one that's outright bad, though you can find a few that are flawed to a greater or lesser degree. And some also give off the impression of last minute corner-cutting. (especially evident in games being great most of the way through, but then suddenly seeming comparitively rough around the edges. Or, in some cases, being generally awesome, but ending abrubtly in a place that seems rather sudden and unexpected. )

CaitSeith:

A Nintendo game with multiplayer focus? Lucky as fuck.

Johnny Novgorod:

CaitSeith:

It has single-player mode. He usually skips the multiplayer in those cases.

CaitSeith:

Johnny Novgorod:

CaitSeith:

I know but the game seems to be aiming for multiplayer first, with a token single player campaign (like Titanfall) thrown in last.

Steve the Pocket:

The Wonderful 101?

Huh, I thought this game was still a few months out. Now I have a reason to buy a Wii U.

One thing that hit me in this review was "traditional shooter game leveling up". I find it kinda depressing that that is a thing that is now considered "traditional" given how much I despise it as a mechanic. -_-

Anyway everything I heard about Splatoon makes it sound pretty fun and stuff. But its still not enough to justify the purchase of a Wii U for me; it helps but its not enough by itself. The new Xenoblade might though.

DarklordKyo:

Steve the Pocket:

The Wonderful 101?

Wonderful 101, while it was published by Nintendo, and I think is somewhat considered a Nintendo IP, was made by a third party developer. A somewhat recent IP that does count though is Xenoblade back in 2010 (despite what a seemingly surprising amount of people think otherwise, Monolithsoft has been a first party developer for Nintendo since 2007) which had a (spiritual) sequel just release for the Wii U in Japan a month ago, called Xenonlade X (Cross)Speaking of which, I'm super hyped for XBX coming to the West even though I normally never do get this hyped for games anymore. Seriously going off of LP's and Japanese reviews it's looking to be really, really good.

Other recent first party IP's off the top of my head include Pushmo(2011)and HarmoKnight(2013) And then there's the very recent Code Name S.T.E.A.M this year.

Johnny Novgorod:

CaitSeith:

Johnny Novgorod:

I know but the game seems to be aiming for multiplayer first, with a token single player campaign (like Titanfall) thrown in last.

Titanfall doesn't have single player. The whole game is multiplayer, including the main campaign.

JonB:

Steve the Pocket:

14 years.

First new IP from *EAD in 14 years, Nintendo as whole has had quite a few in that time but mostly from their smaller studios.

Inking is my Business and Business is Flood

Made it all the way to level 8 in the three and half hours I had to play today before work

CaitSeith:

He usually skips the multiplayer because he hates dealing with the kind of teabagging, gutter-mouthed mic-spammers who tend to inhabit them. Ninty has done a pretty good job making sure the online experience in this game is no less pleasant than playing on the couch with friends, or more accurately no less pleasant than doing that would be if it were an option.

JonB:
This is a game they never should have made because it shouldn't be good, and yet it is. It's a casual title in a hardcore genre.

Eh, I'd call Team Fortress 2 casual enough (with my ability to appreciate it as Exhibit A). Or at least it was, before they introduced so much extra guff to feel utterly daunting to any new players.

Arcadian Legend:

DarklordKyo:

Steve the Pocket:

The Wonderful 101?

Wonderful 101, while it was published by Nintendo, and I think is somewhat considered a Nintendo IP, was made by a third party developer. A somewhat recent IP that does count though is Xenoblade back in 2010 (despite what a seemingly surprising amount of people think otherwise, Monolithsoft has been a first party developer for Nintendo since 2007) which had a (spiritual) sequel just release for the Wii U in Japan a month ago, called Xenonlade X (Cross)Speaking of which, I'm super hyped for XBX coming to the West even though I normally never do get this hyped for games anymore. Seriously going off of LP's and Japanese reviews it's looking to be really, really good.

Other recent first party IP's off the top of my head include Pushmo(2011)and HarmoKnight(2013) And then there's the very recent Code Name S.T.E.A.M this year.

To be fair I also forgot about Tomodachi Life.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here