Rumor: Microsoft in Talks to Buy Silent Hills, Make it Xbox Exclusive - Update

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

circularlogic88:
80% complete? Doubtful. If you have a game at 80% complete, you don't pull the plug on it after investing so much money and manpower with nothing to show for it. Konami can't afford to make those kinds of moves like Blizzard could with their Titan project.

This is actually not necessarily true. There are plenty of examples of games getting canned at stages of near completion. There was an article here on the Escapist about a week ago about how Star Fox 2 got canned when virtually done already, or if you want something more recent, Star Wars Battlefront 3 was cancelled in a near-finished stage as well.

The rumour mill has also been churning with reports that Konami's upper management are actually full of vindictive, cocky, arrogant pricks, and some of their past actions would lend credence not only to this, but also to a history of poor business decisions. Considering some of their other recent actions, it's looking very much like Silent Hills wasn't cancelled because it was bad or wasn't going to sell, but because management was looking specifically to spite Hideo Kojima. This isn't even the first time something similar to this has happened. When Keiji Inafune left Capcom, they cancelled a number of Mega Man titles that were in development at the time simply to be assholes. Considering that the majority of Konami's revenues come from pachinko machine sales, not console games, and a history of being assholes already established, it's very possible that Silent Hills WAS 80% done at time of cancellation.

VinLAURiA:

Now, I think that's rather childish. It's the same deal with Bayonetta 2 moving from PS3/360 to Wii U. Would you rather see the game completely buried just because you personally can't play it on your platform of choice? Yes, the demo was PS4 only, but if the game can be salvaged even if it's moved to a different platform, it's better in the big picture. Even outside of Bayonetta, this wouldn't be the first time a game is saved by being picked up by a rival manufacturer to its original system. Look at Super Meat Boy, for example: that game was originally announced for Wii and ended up becoming 360-only because the WiiWare size limit couldn't handle it, and XBLA releases have a digital exclusivity clause.

I mean, it may seem like a kick in the teeth to people who played P.T., but it was a free demo. There's only really a problem with this if people had to buy it and that money went into the game's development, or the purchase of the PS4 version was otherwise unrefundable somehow. Outside of maybe a five-dollar retailer pre-order that can easily be refunded or something, no one's put money down on Silent Hills yet. If it were something like Project CARS - where the Kickstarter was funded through Wii U version purchases and then the devs turned around and cancelled the Wii U version to move it to PS4/Xbone - different story, since that pretty much amounts to fraud and is breaking a transaction obligation. But Silent Hills doesn't have any consumer money put into it yet, and if Microsoft decides to inject their money into the project to make it exclusive, then that's their prerogative. Y'know, unless Sony decides to hang onto it and beats them to the punch.

This is the current state of gaming; if a game can't be on their system of choice it is better off dead (though that's before getting into how if you can afford one console I very much doubt people are incapable of having multiple systems). Heck, even other systems getting in on the action gets people pissed. For example, when it came up that that Kickstarter for Bloodstained has a stretch goal for a Wii U version (which will probably be reached by the end of today) I saw someone on another forum claim it was a waste. Why? What's so bad about other people getting to enjoy a game? It was baffling and it reveals a troubling undercurrent in gaming right now.

If MS gets Silent Hill, whatever, exclusives are needed in order to keep gaming diverse and make sure nobody has a monopoly. Plus MS kinda needs it since their first-party offerings are paltry (though I could get into their mismanagement, but that's for another day).

God... as much as it would be good to see Silent Hills live and thus have a chance for us to get back to actual survival horror in the series. I have to side with the better dead than with Microsoft side, I mean we are talking about the company so far up its own ass that it was going to tell us we will get always online and like it or we can go to hell and buy a 360 instead. This is not a company I would trust with a series, any series, and would rather see Silent Hills sit idle and be picked up by someone else far later then let the greedy and out of touch hands of Micro$oft get it, rip it up to conform to their teen boy demographic testing groups and run it into the ground.

I wouldn't mind MS buying stuff from Konami. Anybody is better than Konami.
But billions? I think the hype about Silent Hills existed because Guillermo Del Toro, Hideo Kojima and Norman Reedus being in on the project.
The franchise itself isn't worth billions...

Oh well... whatever. Not my money they might burn.

fix-the-spade:

Starke:

But, billions? Seriously? Microsoft is now going to pay more to buy a franchise than it has ever made in sales? I mean, Minecraft... okay, that made sense, it was a license to print money.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if it really is billions, then Microsoft is trying to buy Konami's entire game development arm from them as opposed to 'just' Silent Hill.

Billions for Metal Gear, Pre Evo Soccer, Dance Dance Revolution and the rest would make a (small) degree more sense, alternatively the billions bit is a miscommunication and it's really a few millions. It would be nice to see Silent Hills released, even on the (hurk) Xbone.

Wouldn't make me buy one though.

I could see Microsoft, maybe, offering to spend a couple billion for all of Konami's properties. Metal Gear, Castlevania, Silent Hill, Contra, ect. But I don't see Konami parting with those, because they intend to use them in their mobile/gambling interests.

Even then, the billions number seems a bit high.

Bullshit, it's not worth billions of dollars. I doubt the whole of konami is worth that much at this point

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'd die from the electrolyte imbalance from the salt needed to take this rumor in (and that's after being ready by reading the chuckle-worthy GD thread last night). One billion dollars for one sort of niche IP is... excessive, even for MS's check book. I don't even think buying all of Konami's game IPs and Kojima's studio would worth much more than that right now. (If Konami didn't use everything that isn't Metal Gear to wipe their collective ass for the past few years, 2 billion double dollars would be my uneducated guess for all of that. But Konami wouldn't be in the position to financially benefit from selling IPs if they actually cared about them.)

Really, if they gave any fucking brain cells left that aren't focused on pachinko and mobile, they won't just sit on their IPs, to only use them as themes for pachinko and exported slot machines or in shite mobile games. If they have some intelligent decision making power, they would at least license out their IPs to another game company to make the big AAA games. All they would need to do is find some willing publishers, send over concept art/existing assets and maybe the occasional consultant/project overseer and collect royalties when the games come out. They might have to share profits, but they aren't taking that big AAA risk that seems to scare them so much.

Maybe, just maybe, that is where this rumor spun off of. Perhaps MS and Konami execs were seen in an informal and unplanned meeting together and someone turned the few quick words they heard about licensing negotiations into "OMG, MS iz bye-ing teh Sai-lent Hillz! Quick, to the rumor mill to grind this info into easy to eat gelatin!" I highly doubt that, though, maybe they did exchange words and someone just heard about the exchange, but not the content of the conversation, and had an ill-informed fan-gasm.

Side note: Firefox's spell check wants to change "pachinko" into "poaching." Take that as you will.

Okay, sanity check: Does this make any sense to anyone out there?

about as much sense as buying Minecraft for around 2 and a half billi.... oh wait they already did that.

The only way Konami will let go of one of it's IPs is if they are offered literally stupid money for it, what luck then that their just happens to be a company so desperate to market their mediocre selling home console to anyone who is willing to listen that they would in fact be willing to pay stupid money for an IP that at best as had a 33% hit rate with it's games.

If the title had had any other company offering money for a Konami IP I would have called it comedy bullshit but Microsoft is just stupid enough to shell out billions for a franchise that isn't even worth a tiny fraction of that amount.

Gizen:

circularlogic88:
80% complete? Doubtful. If you have a game at 80% complete, you don't pull the plug on it after investing so much money and manpower with nothing to show for it. Konami can't afford to make those kinds of moves like Blizzard could with their Titan project.

This is actually not necessarily true. There are plenty of examples of games getting canned at stages of near completion. There was an article here on the Escapist about a week ago about how Star Fox 2 got canned when virtually done already, or if you want something more recent, Star Wars Battlefront 3 was cancelled in a near-finished stage as well.

The rumour mill has also been churning with reports that Konami's upper management are actually full of vindictive, cocky, arrogant pricks, and some of their past actions would lend credence not only to this, but also to a history of poor business decisions. Considering some of their other recent actions, it's looking very much like Silent Hills wasn't cancelled because it was bad or wasn't going to sell, but because management was looking specifically to spite Hideo Kojima. This isn't even the first time something similar to this has happened. When Keiji Inafune left Capcom, they cancelled a number of Mega Man titles that were in development at the time simply to be assholes. Considering that the majority of Konami's revenues come from pachinko machine sales, not console games, and a history of being assholes already established, it's very possible that Silent Hills WAS 80% done at time of cancellation.

Understandable I suppose, but as far as Star Fox 2 was concerned, that was a matter of wanting to promote the N64 and essentially reboot it. And the Star Wars game (which I don't think is Battlefront, 1313 maybe? Sorry if I'm wrong, but that's the only title that comes to my mind.) was being made by LucasArts prior to the Disney buyout and once it was bought by Disney was most likely scrapped because it didn't fit within the new direction they were going with it. Disney did the same thing to all Marvel cartoon shows that weren't made by Disney/Marvel studios as well. The point I'm trying to make is, those were both tough business decisions made during a time of company flux and restructuring.

Though you make an excellent point with Japanese companies being very bitter and spiteful towards former employees and content developers with Mega Man. I completely forgot about Capcom's taboo with releasing new Mega Man games.

who knows maybe this wont be a bad idea seeing how konami is sinking like the other major companies
at leats we may have hope to see this released

Andy Shandy:

Can't say I understand the logic behind those who would rather have it dead, just because it's not on the console of your choice.

That's because you're trying to understand fanboy logic. Don't mistake it for anything else.

The big thing is, would Kojima and Del Toro be included in the deal? Because that´s a big fat part of the reason people were so hyped about the project, and with Kojima embitered at the very least, that may not even be a possible scenario even if they do buy the project.

I also have to agree that Silent Hill is no system seller, so it would be a pretty big bet on Microsoft´s part to blow such a chunk of moola to make people actually give a damn about the xbone. So yeah, salt, but if it´s true, it still seems insane to me.

Do I want to see Silent Hills happen? Yes. Do I want it to be Microsoft that makes it happen? no. Besides, none of this makes sense at all for them to pay out that much money for something that's such a niche market. But I would prefer it someone else salvaged it. The problem is, what will microsoft do with it? Will we see a great fantastic game worthy of Silent Hill, a game full of horror, psychological and physical, with an atmosphere that grabs you right away and doesn't let go, or will we see Silent Hill Homecoming 2.0?

Laughing Man:

Okay, sanity check: Does this make any sense to anyone out there?

about as much sense as buying Minecraft for around 2 and a half billi.... oh wait they already did that.

Yeah, but, see, that's the thing. Minecraft is one of the biggest surprise hits to come out of the indy development scene ever. This would be like Microsoft saying, "Yeah, the STALKER rights are worth two and a half billion." Minecraft had... and probably still has, the potential to make far more money for Microsoft than the 2.5b they put on it. Silent Hills? Not so much.

circularlogic88:
Rumor has been dismissed.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/30/xbox-boss-denies-microsoft-purchase-of-silent-hills-for-xbox-one

Done and done. I wonder when people will learn, and more particularly, when The Escapist will learn to not trust nor even report on these wild rumors. Seriously, just take a look at the conversation here and how often unhealthy it was. This does no one any good.

Ryan Hughes:

circularlogic88:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/30/xbox-boss-denies-microsoft-purchase-of-silent-hills-for-xbox-one

Done and done. I wonder when people will learn, and more particularly, when The Escapist will learn to not trust nor even report on these wild rumors. Seriously, just take a look at the conversation here and how often unhealthy it was. This does no one any good.

Well, it's clickbait so The Escapist gets their ad cut. Even if that does do long term damage to their credibility, and does harm their ad revenues in the long term.

Okay but to be fair, anyone whose brain hadn't been swapped out for a pile of squirrel poop could have 'predicted' the Kinect-less Xbone. "I predict this company will make a move that will improve sales of their product"; doesn't exactly require a trip to the Oracle of Delphi to figure that out.

I'd only believe the 'billions' figure if it was for Konami's entire library of IP, not just for this one game. Would make some sense too- maybe acquiring a lot of Japanese IP would help Microsoft crack into the Japanese market (which they have consistently failed to do). Or maybe they'll just squat out a couple of poorly received games and then sit on the licenses like a fat dragon like they've done with Rare.

EDIT: Seems it's been dismissed.

Gonna buy Silent Hills for more money than Silent Hill has ever made.

This one's definitely legit.

EDIT: rumor destroyed anyways, not worth the risk of ban just to point out a person's stupid thoughts.

Well that's what I get for not reading the whole thread.

So it's been crushed. I kinda feel sorry for Silent Hill fans.

I gotta hand it to Phil Spencer for not giving us the "[Insert megacorp here] does not comment on rumors or speculation" line. Konami, as they've currently been acting, would probably have taken weeks to respond and might have given us that empty corporate phtrase. And they likely would have used the rumor to drum up hype for Silent Hill Crush Saga.

Ryan Hughes:

circularlogic88:

Hey, it gives us something hypothetical to talk about over the weekend, even when the rumor has been officially crushed and especially with news going quiet because of E3 being 2 weeks away. If anyone is gullible enough to buy this big of a deal coming from an anonymous source, they'll eventually learn to be skeptical (at least I hope).

My eyes started to glaze over at the word billions. Unless it's in a currency far lower than yen, no video game franchise is worth that much.

I call bullshit.

Silent Hill returns to death, it seems. A pity, Shattered Memories and Downpour were such good games, so at least the series went out on a relatively high note.

jklinders:
My eyes started to glaze over at the word billions. Unless it's in a currency far lower than yen, no video game franchise is worth that much.

I call bullshit.

One billion yen equals roughly eight million US dollars, so... two or three billion yen wouldn't be that insane a price tag for an IP with a decent history behind it.

But, you know.

Minecraft might- might!- be worth "billions" of dollars. Silent Hill?

No. Not even if they could get the version with Kojima and Del Toro moving again. Millions, maybe- with that very specific combination. Beyond that, I don't think the IP is all that valuable right now. The last few games have topped out at "underwhelming" in most eyes.

Sorry, guys. I say this as a fan of the games when they still had numbers. I liked what I saw of P.T.. But I don't think we're suddenly going to see some eleventh hour angel investor save the franchise. About the best we can hope for is some Kickstarted "spiritual successor".

Steven Bogos:
Rumor: Microsoft in Talks to Buy Silent Hills, Make it Xbox Exclusive
Source: [a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACGy46iB58k"]Rooster Teeth

Hairless Mammoth:
So it's been crushed. I kinda feel sorry for Silent Hill fans.

I gotta hand it to Phil Spencer for not giving us the "[Insert megacorp here] does not comment on rumors or speculation" line. Konami, as they've currently been acting, would probably have taken weeks to respond and might have given us that empty corporate phtrase. And they likely would have used the rumor to drum up hype for Silent Hill Crush Saga.

Ryan Hughes:

circularlogic88:

Hey, it gives us something hypothetical to talk about over the weekend, even when the rumor has been officially crushed and especially with news going quiet because of E3 being 2 weeks away. If anyone is gullible enough to buy this big of a deal coming from an anonymous source, they'll eventually learn to be skeptical (at least I hope).

No surprise. Minecraft aside, "billions" of dollars sounds just absurd; and SH is no Minecraft in terms of net fortune-making. Equally absurd - no one at Rooster Teeth, and no one at The Escapist bothered to make a call? Send an e-mail? Ask an insider? "Rumor" in the headline is no absolution from any and all obligation to diligence. If an opportunity was taken to contact MS or Konami, it should have been indicated. In the absence of any indication of an attempt to verify, the reader is left to assume something like the following: Wild and crazy rumor? PRINT IT! NO NEED TO CHECK IT OUT! WE'LL FIND OUT WHETHER OR NOT IT'S TRUE LATER TOGETHER! If that assumption is incorrect, the reader need not make any apology as the onus is on the news outlet to ensure the reader never makes such an assumption. During the Rooster Teeth video they simply mention, "We do trust our source" @ 04:27 (CLEARLY there is no reason to investigate such a large acquisition). So they just ran the story and sat on their hands. As Rooster Teeth ran the innitial rumor, they are more to blame than anyone else. Shame on Rooster Teeth, and they should be embarrassed. As far as I'm aware, only IGN indicates that they bothered reaching out to anyone.

On the one hand, the naive me sees an attractive and divisive rumor that was turned in anonymously just because, followed by gaming news outlets harmlessly and mindlessly running the story. On the other hand, the jaded, cynical, skeptical me sees Rooster Teeth click-baiting and subscriber-baiting. Either way, this kind of (apparently) blind rumor circulation is where journalism ends, and tabloid print begins. And: "...Microsoft is trying to but the property for 'billions' of dollars." Damn it if there isn't a typo in the introduction.

Silent hill stopped being good a long time ago, they've just been parading around it's corpse for a few years. I don't care for microsoft as a game developer, but there's really no way to ruin it, since it's already been ruined.

Also, silent hill's cancellation is a good thing if you ask me, it means konami has to start from scratch, and being forced to take a stab in an original direction is how art moves forward. A fresh slate is a good thing in this situation.

Konami seems to be outright dropping the videogame market though

Hope they just sell their IPs and dissapear.

Called it

Yeah, but, see, that's the thing. Minecraft is one of the biggest surprise hits to come out of the indy development scene ever.

If Minecraft continues to make money at the rate it did last year it will still take 8.5 years for MS to recoup it's investment? I am sorry I don't care how big a success story it is their is no way it will continue making 300odd million a year for 8 years straight.

Notch totally owned MS when he sold them Minecraft and like I said their isn't that many companies stupid enough to pay over the top money with no hope of ever making the cash back, MS just happens to be one of those companies that has done it time and again and while the rumour has been dismissed, like I said if it had been anyone other company linked to buying IPs at massively overinflated prices I wouldn't have believed it but MS has always been the exception.

insaninater:

Also, silent hill's cancellation is a good thing if you ask me, it means konami has to start from scratch, and being forced to take a stab in an original direction is how art moves forward. A fresh slate is a good thing in this situation.

You're assuming Konami will be making anything but pachinko machines after the next Metal Gear. If they stop videogames all together and sell their IPs, it'll be better for everyone involved.

Laughing Man:

Yeah, but, see, that's the thing. Minecraft is one of the biggest surprise hits to come out of the indy development scene ever.

If Minecraft continues to make money at the rate it did last year it will still take 8.5 years for MS to recoup it's investment? I am sorry I don't care how big a success story it is their is no way it will continue making 300odd million a year for 8 years straight.

Notch totally owned MS when he sold them Minecraft and like I said their isn't that many companies stupid enough to pay over the top money with no hope of ever making the cash back, MS just happens to be one of those companies that has done it time and again and while the rumour has been dismissed, like I said if it had been anyone other company linked to buying IPs at massively overinflated prices I wouldn't have believed it but MS has always been the exception.

Microsoft obviously believed they could turn it into something far larger, with actual marketing. Again, I can gleefully say it was a miscalculation on their part. But throwing that kind of money after a dead franchise would be downright delusional, even by their standards.

Remus:

insaninater:

You're assuming Konami will be making anything but pachinko machines after the next Metal Gear. If they stop videogames all together and sell their IPs, it'll be better for everyone involved.

Konami isn't going to be selling their IPs, because we're going to be seeing Silent Hill slot machines, Castlevania Pachinko machines, and Metal Gear Solid Texas hold 'em systems from them in the future.

Starke:

jklinders:

I call bullshit.

One billion yen equals roughly eight million US dollars, so... two or three billion yen wouldn't be that insane a price tag for an IP with a decent history behind it.

But, you know.

Yeah, my maths skipped a zero there. Doesn't change the notion that someone really missed the mark in posting this as "news" here. I could troll twitter for mushroom inspired bs too and call it "news." But people would call me stupid or insane for that.

The Know/Funhaus consistently proving to be the worst thing to happen to Roosterteeth with each shitty clickbait video released at a time.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.