Read Full Article

The Wooster:
That E3 Feeling

I'm immune to advertising.

Read Full Article

Wooooo first!

That's basically me.
It was the greatest night of my life until I stop being a virgin :'D
All it needed was a remake of the Crash Bandicoot games and it would have been the best thing humanity did since...well, anything xD

Yeah, this has been a really good E3. There was something for everyone...

Personally, I'm mostly interested in ME: Andromeda and the Bethesda stuff, though the FF7 remake is on my radar as a means for me to finally play that game (as the incredibly ugly graphics always turned me off).

Mass Effect and Fallout 4...I'm so happy!

Gotta say this has been the first E3 in a long time that's actually been worth watching. I'd say everyone so far has had pretty good presentations.

Going to be funny to watch the riot that ensues if Nintendo doesn't provide any details on a new Zelda game, though. =P

Matches my sentiments exactly especially when DOOM and the FFVII Remake previews happened.

A really, really good E3.

What I like about is that it has something for everyone in store. While most will drool over Doom 4, Fallout 4, Mass Effect, and aaaaaall the other stuff, I'm happy about not being forgotten about with the Final Fantasy remake, Dark Souls 3 and Shenmue 3.

This E3 has surprised me. I was determined to generally ignore it but well Shenmue 3, The Last Guardian and a Final Fantasy VII remake all being announced on the same day is hard to ignore.

In retropect it was probably a good thing Ubisoft didn't announce Beyond Good and Evil 2. If that had also been announced I'm certain it would have ripped a hole in the universe :P

I'm my case, just repeat panel #2 with increasing amounts of vomit between each expulsion.

Then I catch my breath for a while when I hear that The Last Guardian isn't dead, after which I shortly continue.

It must be said E3 has been very good so far.

And its not over, with the Nintendo and Square Enix conferences today and still something to be revealed by Platinum.

Was great...

Until bethesda.net.

Now it is shit again.

I love Erin's face on panel 3.

Lots of great games announced.
Something for everyone.
But what I'm really here for is the stabs everyone is taking at everyone else...and we all know there have been a couple of good ones this year...

Charcharo:
Was great...

Until bethesda.net.

Now it is shit again.

It just seems like a Steam Workshop for consoles. What's wrong with that?

So true. I was following Jim's twitter yesterday, and the comments were a roller coaster of those four frames.

And then comes the cynical post-E3 analysis where they make their usual criticism...

I know, I'm excited for Cuphead too.

Also Mass Effect 4.

Gundam GP01:

Charcharo:
Was great...

Until bethesda.net.

Now it is shit again.

From what I understand it is on PC too.
I already have too many passwords and acounts. I dont need another level of corporate control and shit on my games...

The Artificially Prolonged:
In retropect it was probably a good thing Ubisoft didn't announce Beyond Good and Evil 2. If that had also been announced I'm certain it would have ripped a hole in the universe :P

Technically it was announced years ago. Its just been in development hell.

Gundam GP01:

Charcharo:
Was great...

Until bethesda.net.

Now it is shit again.

People, including myself, remembering the shenanigans Bethesda just participated in with Steam trying to monetize mods. Its not going to quite work this way, but just imagine that the only way to mod Fallout 4 was through bethesda.net, and that somehow they'd have it so that if you tried using mods outside of it, you couldn't run them - we'd have no power to stop whatever mod shenanigans they have planned for it. Its something to be very wary about. I'm hoping its less sinister than that and really just another stupid Rockstar Club type of deal where they just use it to pester you about new DLC and other games from the company. I mean, that stuff is stupid, but its not doing anything more than a one-time nuisance to be able to download DLC, not stuff like DRM or banning you from playing the game if you mod it.

So, i'm in the minority then when i say: Not impressed with anything.

Jeah, Fallout 4 is nice but outside of that? Mainly it's the old "let's milk our franchises until they're dead and a little bit beyond that"-Shtick.

EA announcments: I'd like to see how Mirrors Edge turns out, the last one was intriguing but EA turning an interessting game into a franchise usually spells disaster.
Can't be bothered with ME4, that's not EA's fault though rather than myself + the internet. The huge shitstorm about ME3 started before i even could pick up the game. I had a lot of stuff spoiled for me and due to the "bad ending" drama my motivation to play it reached 0. Which is sad because ME1+2 were my most beloved franchise in a long time. I played through both of these about 6-8 times and to this day i didn't even buy ME3.
And i want to see SW:Battlefornt once it hits the shelves. Trailers are make-believe.

Ubisoft: Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six and AC #90812361. Just, ugh. But yay for South Park. Stick of Truth was great and i love me some SP. I just know already that we'll get these SP-RPG's every year now, if this one is succsesful too.

Microsoft: Only console stuff. I'm not their target audience.

Sony: They made so many horrible FF's in the past that they have to re-hash their best one. Desperation, great. Alot of franchise-milking goin' on here too but at least Horizon/Last Guardian can be something.

And then as mentioned: Fallout 4 and Dishonored 2, which i admit i'm thrilled to see how they pan out, but i just can't get the enthusiams for the E3 many other people apparently have.
Maybe i've been burnt to often by the false promises of these events and by the AAA-industry in general. I mean, Watchdogs looked really nice too until i bought it...

I've a strange feeling about Dishonored + Mirrors Edge for example. I liked both games but now that they're turned into sequels i can already picture them being a horrible mess trying to appeal to the usual "common denominator" and "a wider audience". Urgh.

"The Second Coming of Christ" indeed.

The best Critical Misses are the ones where Erin thinks she can out-cynic something but utterly fails. xD

Adeptus Aspartem:

Sony: They made so many horrible FF's in the past that they have to re-hash their best one. Desperation, great.

It's been said by others in other threads, but no. As much as I disliked 13 and couldn't care much less about the MMO than I currently do, they sold really well. Against all odds, the FF7 remake is not a desperation move. Why it's being made now is beyond my ability to determine, but maybe they just finally got their tech up to a level they found acceptable with the upcoming FF15, so decided to pull the trigger. Maybe Sony is helping to bankroll the game to keep it exclusive. I really don't know. But it isn't because of how horribly their recent FF games have been selling.

Huh. Like a lot of people here, I have gone through all of these phases. Mostly due to the Microsoft showcase, I thought they were going to show us more generic Halo stuff and try to make the Xbox One less horrible.

They did do that, but then they did a demo of those hololenses. I thought "urgh, Minecraft again?" but then I saw a table transform into an entire blocky palace. Almost choked on my drink in shock.

I'm getting closer to owning my own holodeck in the near future. Just didn't think it was THAT near.

Scars Unseen:

Adeptus Aspartem:

Sony: They made so many horrible FF's in the past that they have to re-hash their best one. Desperation, great.

It's been said by others in other threads, but no. As much as I disliked 13 and couldn't care much less about the MMO than I currently do, they sold really well. Against all odds, the FF7 remake is not a desperation move. Why it's being made now is beyond my ability to determine, but maybe they just finally got their tech up to a level they found acceptable with the upcoming FF15, so decided to pull the trigger. Maybe Sony is helping to bankroll the game to keep it exclusive. I really don't know. But it isn't because of how horribly their recent FF games have been selling.

It's not the sales of the bad games that matters but the lasting impact of those game on the franchise. Diablo 3 sold like hotcakes and was a huge let down. It managed to make this sales on it's predecessor but how's the next one going to sell?

Well, as well as i know the gaming community probably as good if not better than D3, because people flock to shit. I see it regularly with all the gamers i know IRL. Alot of complaining about games, dlc's, patches, errors, bugs and what not but as soon as a trailer for anything hits people are head of heels again.

So jeah, in the end it probably won't even matter if FF7 will be good or not. People will buy it and if it sucks they'll buy the next one in the hope it's better. *shrug*

You've lost... that E3 feeling.
Oo-ooh that E3 feeling.
you've lost that E3 feeling and now it's gone. gone gone.

Also doom is way too brown.

I got a feeling (Wah-Hoo!)
That E3's gonna be a good time
That E3's gonna be a good time
That E3's gonna be a good good time

E3 is like my past pseudo-drug addiction... There's both good times and bad, I always feel like something good will come the next time around, and despite some good moments, it still doesn't feel as good as I thought it was honestly going to be in general...

Other than that, Nintendo is basically become my GameCube over the years in terms of E3... It's always there, easy to access, and can still surprise me even after all the years I gotten to know them...

Charcharo:

Gundam GP01:

Charcharo:
Was great...

Until bethesda.net.

Now it is shit again.

I already have too many passwords and acounts. I dont need another level of corporate control and shit on my games...

Great. It'll just be another thing to ignore while you use Nexus instead. Like every other Bethesda game ever.

MarsAtlas:

Gundam GP01:

Charcharo:
Was great...

Until bethesda.net.

Now it is shit again.

People, including myself, remembering the shenanigans Bethesda just participated in with Steam trying to monetize mods. Its not going to quite work this way, but just imagine that the only way to mod Fallout 4 was through bethesda.net, and that somehow they'd have it so that if you tried using mods outside of it, you couldn't run them - we'd have no power to stop whatever mod shenanigans they have planned for it. Its something to be very wary about. I'm hoping its less sinister than that and really just another stupid Rockstar Club type of deal where they just use it to pester you about new DLC and other games from the company. I mean, that stuff is stupid, but its not doing anything more than a one-time nuisance to be able to download DLC, not stuff like DRM or banning you from playing the game if you mod it.

They are not going to make bethesda.net the only way you can run mods. I'm pretty sure that's technologically impossible. Even if they did, it would just be modded out in like half a week anyway.

Gundam GP01:

Charcharo:

Gundam GP01:

Great. It'll just be another thing to ignore while you use Nexus instead. Like every other Bethesda game ever.

MarsAtlas:

Gundam GP01:

They are not going to make bethesda.net the only way you can run mods. I'm pretty sure that's technologically impossible. Even if they did, it would just be modded out in like half a week anyway.

The only way to ignore that is to have the game cracked...

You see, I do NOT want ANOTHER layer of shit, another password, another stupid account, another stupid program and ONE MORE stupid thing that will one day falter and make the game I bought MORTAL...

It aint JUST about modding...

Hmm .. idk. Fallout 4 coming out was no surprise to me, it was obvious they started developing it as soon as they were done with skyrim, probably before that. That is the bethesda pattern and the only reson they did 2 fallout between oblivion and skyrim was cus F3 was a mess at start and a disapointment, so they felt they had to fix that. So for me, F4 came more as a "oh so you finaly decided to admit you are doing what we all know you are doing". Plus as someone put it "they are making fallout 4 because bethesda likes money". Dishonored 2 was somewhat of a surpise, but i'm a bit skeptical about it and trying to turn Ellie into a player character. The ending of the first game doesn't leave much room for new stuff, certainly not something so radical unless you went for the shit ending. And the rest of E3? Souls 3 hold no interest for me anymore, From Soft have lost it in my eyes the moment they went back to beeing Sony's certified butt kissers. Plus I may be reading to much into it, but them saying it's the last in the dark souls series (which wasn't really a series but nvm) sounds to me like "yeah we are doing this last release then going back to our comforting niche of console exclusivity, it's hard work trying to improve our skills and standards and acomodate a wider variety of platforms some with better hardware". I could give 2 craps about the rest of things.

What also didn;t help E3's case was that all my enthusiasm and speculation was syphoned by the wonderfull guys at Firaxis and them blindsiding me with XCOM 2. Now THAT, has my attention. The rest can settle for casual curiosity, mild attention in the case of Fallout 4 (jetpack power armor AND a lovely doggie ... next you'll tell me bethseda has finaly learned to fucking test their games and not release the beta and hope the fans fix their games)

Charcharo:

Gundam GP01:

Charcharo:

MarsAtlas:

You see, I do NOT want ANOTHER layer of shit, another password, another stupid account, another stupid program and ONE MORE stupid thing that will one day falter and make the game I bought MORTAL...

Ignore what? We barely even know what it is yet. Dude, calm down. We dont need to get worked up yet.

Gundam GP01:

Charcharo:

Gundam GP01:

Ignore what? We barely even know what it is yet. Dude, calm down. We dont need to get worked up yet.

This is the gaming industry we are talking about. And Bethesda "Payed modding" Softworks...

Yes I am worried :(

What's Erin excited about? Take your pick! FF VII remake, Star Wars: Battlefront III (That's what I call it), new Mirror's Edge, the next SW:TOL expansion, For Honor, the new Hitman, AC: Syndicate, new Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon, or she's watching the Square Enix Press Conference and just saw the new Deus Ex! So many hopefully-awesome games coming out! And Yahtzee's going to find something to wee on next week, but it will be funny.
I haven't seen every second of press coverage, but has mostly been trailers, or are there more gameplay demos? Because I like seeing how a game's supposed to look while it's played before buying it.

Jandau:

Personally, I'm mostly interested in ME: Andromeda and the Bethesda stuff, though the FF7 remake is on my radar as a means for me to finally play that game (as the incredibly ugly graphics always turned me off).

Yeah, I LOVED the game on the ps1 when I first played it.

I bought it on steam recently to try and replay it and DAMN did that not hold up. I guess the polygon graphics are just too hard to go back to. In the day, that was cutting edge.

That was my reaction to the FFVII remake XD

Lightknight:

Jandau:

Yeah, I LOVED the game on the ps1 when I first played it.

I bought it on steam recently to try and replay it and DAMN did that not hold up. I guess the polygon graphics are just too hard to go back to. In the day, that was cutting edge.

The early 3D graphics are basically the worst period for visuals. They were "cutting edge" in the sense that they could do so much more than regular sprites, but in retrospect they were hideous, especially if you compare them to the 2D sprite graphics of the time. Once the polygon count went up a bit and proper textures started coming into play it evened out somewhat, but for that brief period, it was just awful. There are a few exceptions, mainly in the space sim genre, or mech games, basically anything where the objects would be blocky and mostly monotone anyway...

I must truly have no faith in the video game industry anymore since nothing at E3 excited me. Everything looked unimpressive. I don't think I am even capable of getting excited at a video game announcement anymore.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here