Zero Punctuation: E3 2015 - Hype Train Is Back

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Jman1236:
Are the Just cause games really that good? Everyone has been going on about Just cause 3 and now Yahtzee's on the hypetrain.

Just Cause is okay but not great. But the sequel is pretty darn good. The plot isn't great, but it's a lot of fun blowing stuff up and doing crazy stuff in missions. The hookshot, parachute and the huge world combine to make the game fairly unique, and worth buying IMO.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
E3 2015 - Hype Train Is Back

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews E3 2015.

Watch Video

Meh,I cared more about when I learned about South Park "Fractured But Whole" announcement.

On a side note, the South Pole already has a statue of Lenin on it.

Battlefleet Gothic looks fun, I've already decided to get the new Deus Ex anyway, but I'm not on the Fallout hype train. I still regret buying Skyrim day 1, so Bethesda can go play with their jetpack power armors all they want, I'm not keen having the developer console as an integral part of the gameplay.

Charcharo:
VR will never really be a big thing. Or at least not in the medium-distance future.

It already is. At least for us simulator-fags. I'd kill for ability to look around in the cockpit of La-5 or F1 open-wheeler without using the numpad. But then again, it's not the "amazing virtual environments" or "new level of immersion" or any of that bullshit that sells it. It's the ability to very effectively use another group of muscles for necessary ingame controls. That's progress. The definition of it. No, Wii and all the other dildo-wands are not progress. They suck. They suck at their very core principle. Movements of our entire hands are not a good substitution for precision of keys, mouse or analogue sticks. We do not manipulate things telekinetically with movements of our hands IRL. While looking around using your neck is something that compliments our instincts.

Nicho223:
"A game where the player can do anything is a game that focuses on nothing"
So is DayZ and Minecraft and people have tons of fun on them, so Why and/or How should it be different?

Minecraft and DayZ very much focus on very specific things. Building and survival, respectively. Take that away and the game is dead. Now I dare you to name one element that is necessary for the life of Bethesda's Fallouts. There is none. Because they are already dead.

ecoho:
......did you watch the MS press conference? when they announced the backwards compatibility they stated and I quote
"we will have 100 games ready for backwards compatibility at the start with more to come as soon as PUBLISHERS give us the go ahead." in otherwords if its a MS game that hasn't already been remastered there's a good chance its going to be available, other then that its all on EA, Ubisoft, and so on to give them the go ahead to make their games backward compatible.

Remastered? As in "we're simply selling you this game we made 8 years ago just so that you can play it on your new system"?

Yeah, that's not something that would surprise us, actually. After all, what's the point of having a big game library on your platform if you're not selling said library?

It was a very dry affair this year at E3, it was like going to a wine tasting event and discovering that instead of wine they would be serving a vintage of Dr.Pepper and Coke Zero instead.

ecoho:
......did you watch the MS press conference? when they announced the backwards compatibility they stated and I quote
"we will have 100 games ready for backwards compatibility at the start with more to come as soon as PUBLISHERS give us the go ahead." in otherwords if its a MS game that hasn't already been remastered there's a good chance its going to be available, other then that its all on EA, Ubisoft, and so on to give them the go ahead to make their games backward compatible.

I wouldn't be too trusting of them if I were you. AAA publishers have gone on record stating they're on board with an idea, but only support it for the first 1-2 years, and then shun it thereafter.

Marxie:

Charcharo:
VR will never really be a big thing. Or at least not in the medium-distance future.

It already is. At least for us simulator-fags. I'd kill for ability to look around in the cockpit of La-5 or F1 open-wheeler without using the numpad. But then again, it's not the "amazing virtual environments" or "new level of immersion" or any of that bullshit that sells it. It's the ability to very effectively use another group of muscles for necessary ingame controls. That's progress. The definition of it. No, Wii and all the other dildo-wands are not progress. They suck.

I know of those...

That is not what I meant. At all.

Charcharo:

I know of those...

Well, the Oculus and that HTC vaporware are what constitutes the VR these days. They are the hardware that defines the evolution of the gimmick. And this hardware is already sold on a LOT of people. Not by association, but by the concept itself. So... yeah, the VR happens next year. Hardware will sell like hot buns and publishers will be releasing new games for it. There is nothing that can prevent it. Not even including the price of an xbone controller in the set.

Marxie:

Charcharo:

I know of those...

Well, the Oculus and that HTC vaporware are what constitutes the VR these days. They are the hardware that defines the evolution of the gimmick. And this hardware is already sold on a LOT of people. Not by association, but by the concept itself. So... yeah, the VR happens next year. Hardware will sell like hot buns and publishers will be releasing new games for it. There is nothing that can prevent it. Not even including the price of an xbone controller in the set.

You are putting a lot of trust in your average consumer.
They are NOT as invested as you or I in gaming.
They dont care. It is some stupid glasses thing that when they put on they cant see the world around them.
It will be popular for a time... and then die out. Like 3D did.

As I said, there are STILL consoles... so ... yeah...

Charcharo:

You are putting a lot of trust in your average consumer.

I'm putting a lot of trust in Microsoft's marketing abilities. They have amazing talent for selling lazy and rich people shit they don't need. Even after carefully explaining how said shit will shoot them in the leg, burn their dog and give them AIDS. Take Xbox One, for example.

I'm dead certain that they will succeed in convincing console crowd that playing Forza on a flat screen while siting on a couch in your living room is NOTHING compared to the amazing experience of playing Forza on a flat VR screen while siting on a VR couch in your VR living room.

Dearest Yahtzee,

Castrated individuals have the object to wank with, just no stones to make it worthwhile...

Maybe it's because I'm tipsy, but that was the funniest ZP I've seen in months. Jolly good show!

Jman1236:
Are the Just cause games really that good? Everyone has been going on about Just cause 3 and now Yahtzee's on the hypetrain.

Good physics engine with the addition of the grappling hook and a love of the chaos that open world games inspire in people taken up to 11. No they didn't just make 10 higher, they went to 11 by making Chaos caused by blowing every conceivable thing up an actual currency in the game.

If there was one primordial open world game from which all ones take some aspect from; Saints Row rocketed off into "zany humour", GTA drove off into cynical storytelling, THE ONE UBISOFT FORMULA mastered pointless collectables and side nonsense, Bethesda became the gods of weird glitches and Just Cause took destruction and cathartic chaos to it's extreme in a way rarely seen outside of games not called Red Faction, Guerrilla.

Also it looks like you can actually smash every building in Just Cause 3 so I guess they HAVE been taking cues from Red Faction: Guerrilla.

I was waiting for this video because I was becoming quite exasperated watching everyone on Google+ and here creaming their pants over E3 while failing to learn from previous year's E3's.

After his good review of Splatoon, I am surprised Yathzee still hate Motion control. Sure there was a lot of failed and horrible attempt, but Splatoon has proved that aiming with gyro sensor is superior to dual stick aiming and feel almost as comfortable as Mouse+keyboard control.

Yet, he still consider motion control has one of the worst sin against gaming.

Really, Just Cause 3...? Because apparently the fucking awful gaming zeitgeist gets tired of linear stories and gameplay set pieces, but doesn't get tired of aimless open worlds, guns, explosions, legal reference papers, generic choice-driven narratives, and the dull good vs bad overarching setup that precedes just about every open world game. BUT THOSE EXPLOSIONS DOE (fuck off.) Oh, yeah, also there are cables. So I guess the only things that can get gamers off are guns, explosions, and bondage.

In other news, how about that PC press conference, guys? Oh man, that'll do in the consoles this time! PC exclusives erryday! ...for about a week!

Marxie:

Charcharo:

It already is. At least for us simulator-fags. I'd kill for ability to look around in the cockpit of La-5 or F1 open-wheeler without using the numpad. But then again, it's not the "amazing virtual environments" or "new level of immersion" or any of that bullshit that sells it. It's the ability to very effectively use another group of muscles for necessary ingame controls. That's progress. The definition of it. No, Wii and all the other dildo-wands are not progress. They suck. They suck at their very core principle. Movements of our entire hands are not a good substitution for precision of keys, mouse or analogue sticks. We do not manipulate things telekinetically with movements of our hands IRL. While looking around using your neck is something that compliments our instincts.

Nicho223:
"A game where the player can do anything is a game that focuses on nothing"
So is DayZ and Minecraft and people have tons of fun on them, so Why and/or How should it be different?

Minecraft and DayZ very much focus on very specific things. Building and survival, respectively. Take that away and the game is dead. Now I dare you to name one element that is necessary for the life of Bethesda's Fallouts. There is none. Because they are already dead.

ecoho:

Remastered? As in "we're simply selling you this game we made 8 years ago just so that you can play it on your new system"?

Yeah, that's not something that would surprise us, actually. After all, what's the point of having a big game library on your platform if you're not selling said library?

you know they've made at least 2 remastered games before this was even an option so I wouldn't doubt they would prefer you by the updated ones seeing as they spent so much time making them look better then when they first came out.

Transdude1996:

ecoho:

I wouldn't be too trusting of them if I were you. AAA publishers have gone on record stating they're on board with an idea, but only support it for the first 1-2 years, and then shun it thereafter.

once they've given permission to do the backwards compatibility the publishers have absolutely nothing else to do with how it functions as MS then just configures those games to be downloaded off the market place for free after reading the disc. also good to note that MS is pretty good about keeping their policies when gamers like them, like supporting the 360 for a few more years even after xbox one launched.

GUIGUI:
but Splatoon has proved that aiming with gyro sensor is superior to dual stick aiming and feel almost as comfortable as Mouse+keyboard control.

No it didn't. Try playing literally any actual shooter with a gyro sensor. You will know pain. No, Splatoon will not do. Because if Splatoon is a shooter - than Dark Souls is a character-driven RPG.

GUIGUI:
at least 2 remastered games

GUIGUI:
Because apparently the fucking awful gaming zeitgeist gets tired of linear stories and gameplay set pieces

No one ever said that we're tired of linear stories. It was about REPETITIVE and SHIT linear stories.

GUIGUI:
but doesn't get tired of aimless open worlds

Hhmmmm...
Far Cry 3-4
Just Cause 2
GTA V
And that's it. I'm out of good modern open sandboxes based specifically on the sandbox experience.

Yeah, we're not tired of good sandboxes.

Because if Splatoon is a shooter - than Dark Souls is a character-driven RPG.

I'd love to see this one explained.

Silentpony:

LordTerminal:
"Looked about as good as a Star Wars prequel that threw up on N64."

NO IT DIDN'T! If I hear one more bullshit talk about the graphics in Star Fox Zero, I'm gonna castrate someone! The graphics are fine!

God, I love how people will admit that but not admit that KH3's graphics look like a PS2 game and every time I point that out, I get scorn.

No, no you're right. It does not look like an N64 game. It looks like a Gamecube port of an N64 game.
So its not 20 years old so much as maybe 14 years old.
But I mean it could still be fun. Nintendo has never been leading graphics wise. Hey, at least its a legit Star Fox game and not Star Fox presents space basketball. That's got to count for something.

NO IT DOESN'T EVEN LOOK LIKE THAT EITHER! I've played fucking GameCube games! They don't look like that! You are all blind, just like Yahtzee!

I can see you saying with FO4 that if you can do everything then the game might focus on nothing. But of course they didn't say anything about the story so that might not be the case. We just have to wait and see.

I hope this isn't a sign of bad things to come for Just Cause 3. One of the last times Yahtzee was ultra hyped about something relating to a game he liked, we got the disastrous Silent Hill HD Collection.

An Ceannaire:
Really liked the summary of games not mentioned in the video during the closing credits (was that in previous E3 videos? I can't remember). Especially enjoyed the Just Cause 3 one.

And so. did. Yahtzee.

I am getting really tired of Yahtzee's weird hypocrisy. This guy will slay game devs for un-originality and releasing the same content over and over yet the minute they try and change anything then he is the first to rail against it.

Also I never got the hype for any Just Cause game, I've owned both so far, played about 3 hours of each gotten more bored than I ever have with a game and traded them in.

LordTerminal:

Silentpony:

LordTerminal:

NO IT DIDN'T! If I hear one more bullshit talk about the graphics in Star Fox Zero, I'm gonna castrate someone! The graphics are fine!

God, I love how people will admit that but not admit that KH3's graphics look like a PS2 game and every time I point that out, I get scorn.

No, no you're right. It does not look like an N64 game. It looks like a Gamecube port of an N64 game.
But I mean it could still be fun. Nintendo has never been leading graphics wise. Hey, at least its a legit Star Fox game and not Star Fox presents space basketball. That's got to count for something.

NO IT DOESN'T EVEN LOOK LIKE THAT EITHER! I've played fucking GameCube games! They don't look like that! You are all blind, just like Yahtzee!

I do think I prefer the look of Assault to what I've seen of Zero.

But what I've seen of Zero amounts to third-hand footage over a cell phone video player, so eh.

What does bug me about Zero is the story. Why are we rebooting to the fight with Andross again?

LordTerminal:

Silentpony:

LordTerminal:

Oh, give it a rest. There's no need to all-caps us to death and pack your post with exclamation marks over a simple off hand joke about a game's graphics.

I can't tell if you're overreacting for comic effect or just really easily offended, but if it's the former, disregard this post; if it's the later, then grow up.

inu-kun:
Oh, I wanted to hear Yahtzee's opinion on Nier 2.

There is literally nothing to say about it beyond that fact that it exists and hopefully Platinum will make the gameplay as good as everything else in the Drakengard universe for once.

thanatos388:

inu-kun:

There is literally nothing to say about it beyond that fact that it exists and hopefully Platinum will make the gameplay as good as everything else in the Drakengard universe for once.

That's... an interesting statement. By all accounts, Drakengard 1 had almost nothing going for it beyond the comically bleak story. Drakengard 2 had better gameplay at the expense of having an idiot plot and an overly-complex New Game Plus system.

Nier and DG3 are, by most accounts, pretty good at least, though.

Enlong:

thanatos388:

inu-kun:

That's... an interesting statement. By all accounts, Drakengard 1 had almost nothing going for it beyond the comically bleak story. Drakengard 2 had better gameplay at the expense of having an idiot plot and an overly-complex New Game Plus system.

Nier and DG3 are, by most accounts, pretty good at least, though.

Haven't played Drakengard 2 admittedly but only because its practically fan-fiction at this point and didn't have Yoko Taro so even if it had the best faux Dynasty Warriors gameplay I wouldn't be interested.

Nier and DG3 were functional but that's it. Nier was incredibly easy because you were very much overpowered in terms of attack and movement and the higher difficulties only increased enemy health making the game simply more tedious instead of more difficult (but at least it was being subversive and artistic with its game design). DG3 had better gameplay but it was really repetitive and the combat wasn't deep enough to carry the whole game for me and the lazy design of the levels didn't help. Hopefully Platinum can improve upon it and make the combat much more engaging and hopefully without the frame rate dropping every time anything happens at all. Why not just have the resolution drop instead of the frame rate like in Nier? Was it because of the Unreal 3 engine?

"I have a though of a game in my head please give me money"

Yatzee, i present to you: Steam Greenlight.

I was only hyped for Yahtzee's thoughts on this years E3, and it was glorious.

He forgot No Man's Sky. I'm actually kinda curious about that because it looks as amazing as it did this year as when it was first showed off last year.

Dragonheart57:
nothing else does explosive pointless violence quite like it.

Mercenaries.

Mercenaries, how I miss thee...

I still need to get my hands on it, but from what everyone says who gets their hands on it, Oculus Touch is as good as having your hands in VR before getting a Power Glove-esk exoskeleton armature to move your fingers for force feedback or a cortical modem. People were interrupting the tutorial for how to use it in the first few seconds by throwing virtual objects around the room since the controls were literally, you have hands in VR. You picked things up, threw them around, even playing with a slingshot or lasergun with ease since it tracks your thumb, ring finger, and middle finger. This also allows the added bonus of telling someone how you really feel non-verbally.

Comparing the Oculus Touch to the Sony Move is like comparing a modern gaming PC to an Amiga, sure they can both play games, but the Amiga would probably melt if it was forced to do the same thing as the former.

Casual Shinji:
Super Bunnyhop is cynical about videogames?! Git outta town!

Thing is, he's usually not that cynical. Way less than somebody like Yahtzee. He can be skeptical and critical, but it's usually constructive and comes with a good sense of impartiality. His E3 video felt way more forced and was stating some pretty obvious "harsh facts" about the show that most people knew and just accepted that E3 is this dumb crazy circus show. He was really trying too hard to jump on the jaded cynical gamer band wagon whereas in previous videos he's showed much more restraint and objectivity.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here