Max - Bad Enough to Make You Mad

Max is an awful movie with a cute, well-trained dog. Is that enough?

Read Full Article

I'm sure the Max in this movie said more lines than the Max in Fury Road.

As sad as it makes me, I can't help thinking that a well-trained dog is enough to make many people enjoy even this film.

Obligatory question: Does the dog die at the end?

Mahorfeus:

With a review like this, does it matter?

Mahorfeus:

Caramel Frappe:
Ohhhhhh ... that's not good. When the dog is a far better actor than the entire cast of people- something's wrong.

I don't know, my Mini-Dachshund is giving me the: "It's time to go to the dog park and you don't have shoes on. You have five minutes to leash me and leave or I'm going to destroy something you love and or pee in your bed" look. She can convey more meaning more concisely than most internet users I've seen.

OT: Yeah, this movie looked like another very safe family movie. Safely skipped.

I feel for you Matter I saw the preview for this and I knew it was terrible. I don't know how you could sit through it.

If anyone's interested, Brad Jones had a pretty good Midnight Screening on the movie: http://blip.tv/the-cinema-snob/midnight-screenings-max-7203563

Seems like a lot of crap movies coming out this year...and people wonder why I'm a total cynic when it comes to the dreck that Hollywood belches forth these days.

This film is going to make so much money, word of mouth is A+ CinemaScore from audiences.

Seems Movie Bob likes it as well according to his twitter.

It's gotten mostly average reviews. Except apparently from Mr. Parkinson. I saw it. Family will do that for you. It's a clichéd family / animal film. It's terribly average. It's not a 1 out of 5 star movie though. I didn't go in to it with preconceptions or expectations because I had no interest in the movie.

So, it's basically an hour and half of this.

I heard "dog that has PTSD" and I was like "who the fuck thought this was a good idea?" Taking a very real issue that is still to this day experiencing a lot of difficulty being addressed, moreso from non-military PTSD, they decide to address animal PTSD (which is a real thing that I'm not attempting to diminish) instead of any of that, skip around the seriousness of the issue, and turn it into a family friendly story, then add in thriller elements and dogfighting. I'm not sure if I should be insulted or if I should laugh cynically.

Oddly enough, you can watch the trailer and decide it's not worth watching. Mostly it's because you threw up in your mouth while watching that 2 minutes of your life you will never get back. Also,

SupahGamuh:

I love that image.

Marter:

Max is an awful movie with a cute, well-trained dog. Is that enough?

Read Full Article

I take it you are not a fan of Lassie or Rin Tin Tin then? I'm guessing you don't have children/dogs.

Eh, different strokes and all that. I have both (kids and German Shepherds), so I'll be seeing it.

Hmm.... On Rotten Tomatoes, it got a 40%. Still bad, but nothing like the scathing review it got here. I'm going to go see what the other reviewers had to say. One moment.

Nonetheless, I doubt that I'll see this movie. It lost me the moment I heard that the main character is a moody teenager.

I'm back. As expected, the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes were mixed, and some of the individual reviews neither fully endorsed nor fully condemned it. Anyway, all I can say is, this review tore it apart far more than any of the others.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here