Judging By The Cover: How Does Bloodborne Hold Up?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I wasn't really sure what to think of it but I enjoyed it. I imagine once he gets into the feel of this the delivery will improve a little and he'll start getting more creative as well.

This is my first reply. I registered just now only to tell you this video was fucking hilarious. Can I swear? Please make many more of these.

Evonisia:
I'm genuinely wondering whether the pronunciation of "Bloodborne" in this video is meant to be a joke or not. Might have to revisit the Zero Punctuation and this video a few times o_o

No, he did something similar to when he did his video on Shadow Of Mordor, when he started gargling his own semen out of respect for the source material and for the interest of his own fans.
No clue why he wanted to do that.

I had a lot of fun with this and am interested to see where it goes.

I never enjoyed the poetry show or the face off competition with Jim. ZP's format is great but it grew stale for me years ago so I'm definitely ready for something new. I like how this concept is far more open to creative writing than other shows.

My obvious and inevitable episode suggestion:

I get that it is funny. I get that what he's saying it witty and sarcastic and comical and that this series will be successful.
But I'm just not laughing.

You know, I always thought the cover of Dark Souls 1 had the character walking *towards* you, with a sword in their right hand and a shield in their left.

The blurb stuff was great and easily the strongest. Keep it up!

It'd be cool if he did some older games for this series. There are some bizarre covers out there..

Oh my goodness, I lost it at the cake part.

10/10 Needs more smug art connoisseur tone in voice!

Other than that, maybe he could finally tackle those anime-looking JRPG covers... Oh, the judging would be glorious!

I like this, and want to see more.
Game box art is usually not very good and usually tells us very little about the game. Seeing someone actually criticize it is nice to finally see.

They say you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.
But they also say first impressions are important.
So which is it, people?

You should totally judge a book by its cover- but you shouldn't judge the quality of the writing by the quality of its packaging- they're made by two very different people/groups and the former often don't consult much with the latter.

I really enjoyed the slow slightly pompous tone combined with the sarcasm and withering vitriol. This is exactly like a well respected art critic might savage a work by a blind four year old. It amuses me because counter-arguments are irrelevant, no matter how prescient. The critic has decided to hate the work and will demonstrate exactly why poo on a stick would be more fitting. Some of the criticisms are throwaway or unfair, some do not 'respect the medium' (e.g. breadbin remark) and some are surreal (Chicken Tonight) but that doesn't matter- the master has spoken and the work has been judged.

Of course at the same time this is only improved by the fact a lot of the criticisms are totally valid and well thought through.

My only criticism would be the delivery of the final joke about all-consuming. It was a good way of rounding everything off, but the delivery didn't quite work. I think it would have been funnier if it had been more self-aware. As in Of course if the city is worried about the all consuming terror, I would recommend they, ah ha, look at the box cover. Particularly, ah ha, at the gentleman who has an entire town in his anus.

It's like a slow, deliberate observational joke, made by all the best academics who think they're funny, but really just want to show off to all their learned friends.* Of course in this case the joke is just dumb!

*Such as; Of course every physicist knows a kitten is more likely to fall from a roof than a cat- it has a much smaller µ

Mikeybb:
I don't think he was bored as such, more trying to affect a refined and dignified tone to match the music.
Seriously presented with chin stroking pontification for the high browed among us, all at a pace fitting with the intent of allowing us to fully absorb the artistic artyness of his artful artwork analysis.

You could say he was being..... Artzee~

Am I the only one that didn't find this funny?

Also I'm fairly sure Dark Souls' character is facing you, seeing as his sword is usually in the right hand and the shield in the left. Link being the only character to go against this, rather famously I might add.

But yeah sorry dude, I'm not feeling this one.

Is everything okay? Was this series The Escapist's idea? Do you need help? We're all worried about you.

I suppose you could swallow something without touching it if you're Kirby.

Danny Dowling:

You're not alone. Going to give it the benefit of the doubt for the next few episodes but I doubt that I will find the show any better by then.

This was fun. Please continue.

0takuMetalhead:

Danny Dowling:

You're not alone. Going to give it the benefit of the doubt for the next few episodes but I doubt that I will find the show any better by then.

He sounded bored and was missing his usual frenetic quality. Of course, he was mocking a PS4 exclusive, so you're going to see a lot of "best thing ever" type comments.

It may be the booze talking, but I really enjoyed this video. Though to be quite honest, it doesn't really stack up to ZP. Entertaining enough, but really there's only so much you can do with a guy that does overly-snarky reviews of games. I suppose overly snarky reviews of the front and back of game covers would be a "fair enough" step. :P

This series has limitless potential. Yahtzee is changing the game!

I loved this for what it was, fairly straightforward art criticism and nothing actually having to do with said game. Witty and sarcastic with a point. Box art has pretty well always been a far cry from the actual game contained within, at worst sometimes hideous as fuck (Mega-Man 1...). So having a teardown and impression-by-boxart critique is an interesting approach.
Its also accurate in how many folks tend to buy games and other media, which is sad and stupid. But its true that a lot of folks buy into either hype or cover art and very rarely do some independent research on their own to find out if a game is worth a damn or not. Best if folks watching this don't take it seriously as a criticism of the game, but rather just a critique of the box itself containing said game.

I... I don't know how Yahtzee made this entertaining, but he did. I'm concerned that Yahtzee won't have enough material to carry this on for very long but I'm just happy he's got another video series for us to enjoy.

I wonder what else Yahtzee could do a video series on. You know, besides reviewing two games a week :p (talk about burning the candle from both ends). It could be interesting to see him evaluate a mechanic or character from games. Like swimming levels or Nathan Drake as a character study. Kinda of like a review within a review and something he could potential research along with his weekly game review.

Eh, either way, just happy to hear that snarky commentary some more. It tells me that everything might not be going to be OK, but who cares, at least I'm not Canadian. (Our closest friends and allies who are thankfully able to take a joke and make up a surprisingly large number of our comedians and writers)

Lol love this new series Yahtz.

Okay that was way funnier than it had any right to be.

A.K.B.:

Mikeybb:
I don't think he was bored as such, more trying to affect a refined and dignified tone to match the music.
Seriously presented with chin stroking pontification for the high browed among us, all at a pace fitting with the intent of allowing us to fully absorb the artistic artyness of his artful artwork analysis.

You could say he was being..... Artzee~

I groaned, but then I grudgingly applauded.

Hehe, that was a pretty amusing video. I'm looking forward to more of these.

Really loved that cake bit towards the end. Also, flaming dog jerky sounds like something you'd get at a chinese restaurant in the seedier part of town.

When this started I thought I'd clicked on a DrownOut by accident...

Does he not have an actual Artist's Tablet with pressure sense??? Don't tell me he's been making all his game graphics this entire time with only the Mouse D:

Why didn't he mention Demon's Souls?

That. Was. Awesome!
I loved it! I was upset when Unskippable ended, and wanted some more light hearted piss taking involving games that doesn't take itself too seriously!

An unrelenting, excessively thorough nit-comb look at the often bland and despicable box art choice that we all pander too on a day to day basis!

More! More! More!

That was hilarious. I'd love to see more.

That was pretty good but I wish he'd do his quick ZP speaking style; listening to Yahtzee speaking slowly just makes him sound like he's suffered a stroke.

Okay, this is a complete non-starter. The idea is bland, and I just can't get used to Yahtzee speaking slowly, or in the presense of soft music.

Escapist, why do you still have this on the front page after 5 days? How about instead of promoting Yahtzee all the damn time, you start hiring other people as content producers? Or failing that, at least rehire one of your old content producers, like Moviebob.

I wouldn't have watched this if it wasn't advertised underneath the latest Zero P.

I thought it was a video by a new person who's job was to rip into something akin to what Yahtzee does (the irony of me).
You know with a lot of angry people on the internet, I thought it was another shallow thing.

But because it's by Yahtzee, I watched it, because I am a pathetic fanboy that will try to consume most things he does.

It was wittily done and wasn't serious. Therefore I will watch more.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here