Good Bad Flicks: Knowing

Knowing

Exploring the Nicolas Cage end times film Knowing.

Watch Video

I wanted to like this movie. I really did. But those transitions from one type of movie to another, the thing you hold up as clever, I call disjointed. It felt very much like this film didn't know what it wanted to be. Twisting the narrative only works if you lay the foundation for the twists ahead of time. But this film goes from a psychic-disaster-mystery film to a strange-beings-with-mysterious-agenda film to an apocalyptic-rebirth film and the transitions are jarring. I don't think it's a bad film, but that doesn't mean that I think it works.

Well, at least someone liked the movie. Frankly I feel that they went a little too off the wall for how grounded the beginning was. You said that they wanted to "earn" the audience's suspension of disbelief before they got into the supernatural elements of the plot so that we'd be "on board". The problem is that having the first half of the movie be so grounded, and then suddenly throw all these extra supernatural elements into the mix was too much of a shift. Heck, I'm a person who loves fantasy and sci-fi, and I just couldn't absorb the movie. It shifted too hard, too quickly, and ultimately lost me.

I was pretty much onboard with this movie right up until where the weirdos exploded into ethereal angeliens took the kids into their crystal spaceships and flew off and then just dropped them off on the perfect planet of eden.

It was just a little bit too... overt, I guess.

Apart from that, yeah I enjoyed it.

Grimh:
I was pretty much onboard with this movie right up until where the weirdos exploded into ethereal angeliens took the kids into their crystal spaceships and flew off and then just dropped them off on the perfect planet of eden.

It was just a little bit too... overt, I guess.

Apart from that, yeah I enjoyed it.

same here. still enjoyed them movie so as my parents. but we all agreed that the ending with these angel alien like creatures was a bit awkward.
maybe one day i will watch it again.

I enjoyed it, right up until the Adam and Eve ending. I still rate this film as my number 1 on screen plane crash though.

I honestly really liked this movie. Just thought the aliens/angels were being jerks at the end. 'No, we can't let you come along, we easily could, but we don't feel like it'. Douchebags.

I didn't like anything about this movie. It was total shit, capped with a crown of shit with that whole Rapture ending. The characters were terrible, especially that mom who died due to a virulent case of stupidity. It was terrible.

While not a bad film, I have to agree that the ending was really out of place and didn't work well. The whole aliens and the crystal ship thing though just seemed silly for the movie it was up to that point. The movie's ending probably would've been better if it hadn't been so overt.

Why did the aliens make some people obsessively scribble the numbers? It served no purpose. Things like that are meant to be a warning, to try and prevent a future catastrophe. There was no stopping the sun freaking out and burning the planet. And it didn't help any of the other survivors either, because the aliens only took the ones they could speak to. And they were taken anyway from wherever they were. The kids didn't need the parents to drive them to the ship, the kids were fine wherever they were, the aliens would've picked them up and taken them. So again, there was no point for the scribbling. It was completely pointless. It served only to drive one woman insane, ruin her daughter emotionally, and send a doomed man into a frantic state of paranoia in the last days of his life. Yeah, really good work there aliens, thanks for that help there. *rolls eyes*

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here