Good Bad Flicks: Exploring Spawn

Exploring Spawn

Exploring one of the first comic book films, Spawn.

Watch Video

I quite enjoy the Spawn movie, especially Violator Clown - in the unrated version his jokes are gross and great. Funny when people are moaning at Black Panther being a black hero when we already had one in movies. Anyway, a new movie would be great, but part of me thinks it would be better as a TV show like the cartoon. Now making a live action version of the cartoon would be amazing.

But will anyone go to see it? Remember this is what they did with Dredd. A R rated film that was true to the comic... And bombed. Spawn, I agree has to be R if your going to do it, but I don't see a audience big enough to justify it.

luvd1:
But will anyone go to see it? Remember this is what they did with Dredd. A R rated film that was true to the comic... And bombed. Spawn, I agree has to be R if your going to do it, but I don't see a audience big enough to justify it.

A $20 million budget R-Rated John Wick also raked in nearly $80 million at box office. Movie can succeed and fail for any number of reasons not related to how much naughty or bloody bits they have.

I remember the action figures they made being the coolest thing I'd ever gotten as a kid. A lot of image comics' action figures were way above the competition at the time.

This title could do really well for a reboot. A serious take on the movie and in a time where the CGI is far better rounded. Oh well.

Even as a late 90's comic book movie, Spawn has little redeeming value. I went to the movies to see it. Right afterwards, one friend mentioned that the entire scene in hell was like a bad video game. Man, those effects sure haven't aged well. I can barely look at the CG without face palming. John Leguizamo's performance was probably the only thing I liked. Shame it was wasted on such a dud.

I hold the animated series in a lot higher regard, but I felt it was way too vulgar and crass at times. It was like it was going out of its way to prove it was edgy. From what I remember, the story wasn't very coherent either.

It's easy why they wanted it to be pg-13.

It's a comic book. They thought only kids would be interested in it. What parent was going to let little Timmy go see a comic book that was Rated R? And in their minds, who was going to see a comic book character who wasn't Batman or Superman other than teenagers.

I'm sure you couldn't convince New Line Cinemas in anything else. They pulled in 135,265,915 for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles alone. I'm sure they believed they knew better than anyone else.

As a Spawn and Image fan I was looking forward to this for a long time.
And not too dissapointed.

But yeah, it WAS way too tame for the time and material :(

I like this show. I do. For God's sake, though, work on your cadence. this guy has the most awkward pauses in a professional show I've ever heard. You know that you don't have to read every line the exact same way, right? It's boring and annoying at the same time. Have some goddamn personality! Work on that, and you'll have something.

Its too bad the rating board slaughtered the movie. they should really be destroyed as the evil entity they they are.

klovervibe:
I like this show. I do. For God's sake, though, work on your cadence. this guy has the most awkward pauses in a professional show I've ever heard. You know that you don't have to read every line the exact same way, right? It's boring and annoying at the same time. Have some goddamn personality! Work on that, and you'll have something.

you should hear some of his early work. this is great in comparison.

I actually liked the movie, but only in Hungarian dub. Which was way better than the original, much like Mortal Kombat.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here