The Best Anime Classics You Can Stream on Hulu

The Best Anime Classics You Can Stream on Hulu

The finest classic Anime you can stream on Hulu, and why it deserves its place in the Anime canon.

Read Full Article

Nice list, that didn't fall into the trappings of the Nostalgia elitist. :D

As a nostalgia elitist myself (because nothing has ever been as good as it was back when Cowboy Bebop was on Adult Swim) I have to agree that is a very good list. I'm just glad someone mentioned Last Exile on a list. I haven't used Hulu for a long time, I wonder if El Cazador de la Bruja is still on Hulu. There was one of the not often mentioned "classics" I liked very much.

A good list indeed and I've already seen all but one. Guess I should give that Galaxy Express a try.

dangoball:
A good list indeed and I've already seen all but one. Guess I should give that Galaxy Express a try.

Watch the show, not the film. The film takes a hundred episode show and condenses it into an hour and a half. Shit be lost in translation and it makes very little sense as a result. Though you do still get to see Captain Harlock make a cameo.

I seen 2 of the list (GitS and Samurai Champloo) but I agreed on the rest that I had hear of (the last one is new to me despite now old it is).

What I'm curious about is if there is anything new coming out that is worth seeing. I've pretty much given up on watching Anime a few years ago since every season it was just more moe-crap or harem animes coming out. Why don't they do adult dramas like Maison Ikkoku anymore?

Even the action good seinen stuff is getting kinda long in the tooth. The article has Samurai Champloo in it, but that's 10 years old and seems to come from a time when they were still putting out series like Black Lagoon, Speed Grapher, Gungrave, etc.

Maybe this is verging into "old man yelling at the sky" territory, but it does seem to me that the overall quality and maturity of anime series has gone down substantially over the last 5 to 10 years. Every now and then you will get something clever, like Watamote, but even that is just yet another highschool comedy when you boil it down.

Honestly it kind of reminds me of the same issue video games tend to have - someone hits upon the "formula" for making something successful and they just copy the fuck out of it until everything is more or less the same. Maybe I'm just looking at the past in rose colored glasses, but I swear there was more variety even as little as 5 to 10 years ago.

Jake Martinez:
What I'm curious about is if there is anything new coming out that is worth seeing. I've pretty much given up on watching Anime a few years ago since every season it was just more moe-crap or harem animes coming out. Why don't they do adult dramas like Maison Ikkoku anymore?

Even the action good seinen stuff is getting kinda long in the tooth. The article has Samurai Champloo in it, but that's 10 years old and seems to come from a time when they were still putting out series like Black Lagoon, Speed Grapher, Gungrave, etc.

Maybe this is verging into "old man yelling at the sky" territory, but it does seem to me that the overall quality and maturity of anime series has gone down substantially over the last 5 to 10 years. Every now and then you will get something clever, like Watamote, but even that is just yet another highschool comedy when you boil it down.

Honestly it kind of reminds me of the same issue video games tend to have - someone hits upon the "formula" for making something successful and they just copy the fuck out of it until everything is more or less the same. Maybe I'm just looking at the past in rose colored glasses, but I swear there was more variety even as little as 5 to 10 years ago.

Eh, it's pretty much always been lots of crap and a few classics. Remember while the 90's gave us things like Lain and Bebop, it also gave us Gundam Wing. I'd argue with there being a larger market now in the west, built up over the last 20 years, that there is more in general to sift through and there has been some homogenizing, there's still a ton of good shows to pick up and enjoy. Writers like Gen Urobuchi and Kotaro Uchikoshi are making their mark, directors like Watanabe and Oshii are still working and new[ish] directors like Kenji Kamiyama who made his start in the early 2000's and hit peak form in 2003-2004 still exist.

Basically, yeah there's a lot of classics that are fun to watch, though admittedly it's odd to consider Stand Alone Complex and Champloo classics when they're both barely over a decade old, but there's also a lot of new stuff worth watching, like the adaptation of Parasyte, or Psycho-Pass [Season 1], or Punchline. It's worth doing the searching.

I've only heard of two of these and those are Ghost in the Shell and Samurai Champloo. Where's Cowboy Bebop? Hellsing? Trigun?

C'mon. At LEAST Cowboy Bebop... >_>

Jake Martinez:
Maybe I'm just looking at the past in rose colored glasses, but I swear there was more variety even as little as 5 to 10 years ago.

Yes, you are looking with rose tinted glasses here. On the contrary, there's a lot more variety than the 80's and 90's, but the scale of the industry has changed.
Let's take Spring 1998, where Cowboy Bebop and Trigun Aired in Japan and WOW it was a good season, besides those 2, this season also aired Cardcaptor Sakura and Record of Lodoss War. But how many other animes at that season besides those I have said that you even knew/watched? http://anichart.net/archive/spring-98

This is what I meant as Nostalgia Elitist, You only remember the good ones from those era, and not the bad ones, creating an illusion that the 80s 90s years of anime much better than current modern anime. The fact that there were less anime created at that time also added strength to the illusion.

Prime example of this, the post above me.

Why so serious? Some of the comedy series are fantastic. Azumanga Daioh is basically Seinfeld in Anime form, with schoolgirls.

Sigh, I just wish you'd remember that some of us don't live in the United States, ergo can't get access to Hulu anyway.

If you think the anime shows are good, by all means talk about them. But don't make talking about them contingent on their being accessible on a viewing platform that isn't accessible to everyone.

Now, of the shows mentioned here, I've only watched Champloo (since Funimation also offers it). Not bad, but it does have the same strengths and weaknesses as Cowboy Bebop. It's really at its best when it stops trying to impose an overarching story (which is little more than a Macguffin anyway) and just goes for sheer hilarious absurdity that soon reveals something underneath that is anything but. Like the final image of the mushroom episode that brings out all the black humour of the episode, or the refreshingly unvarnished baseball moments.

Unfortunately, the other anime series I've seen tended to split into three types, sometimes overlapping -- shonen power fantasies that ranged from the pleasant (One Piece) to the frankly disgusting (Sword Art Online); thinly disguised militaristic propaganda (Attack on Titan) that's only slightly less overt than outright propaganda (if you want what overt anime propaganda looks like, look up the WWII "Momotaro's Divine Sea Warriors" and see how that compares to some of the stuff made today); or philosophical dissections that tried to hide their worth (and, more frequently, their lack of it) under an appealing package. (Old stuff isn't exactly better: I had a go at City Hunter recently and was put off by the relentless misogyny of it.)

Some of the detective stuff (Conan, Kindaichi) isn't bad, but it tends to be repetitive.

The best anime series I've seen so far is "Welcome to the N.H.K.": it takes pride in popping every dream like a balloon.

Jake Martinez:

Well there are more "safe" shows coming out that appeal to the wider anime community but there are still a lot of great more mature works. The thing is most of them will never see a release outside Japan because they are more niche and less marketable to the general anime community now. Anything by Yuassa is great like Kaiba (2008), Tatami Galaxy (2010), and Ping Pong (2014). There was also Shinsekai Yori or From the New World that was one of a few anime I can think of that was actually based on a book, and I mean an actual novel type book with just words and no pictures not a manga or light novel. Another one on Hulu is Monster which is a pretty good show that, if it were not an anime, would probably be liked by a general audience anywhere.

I think the real problem is that as the anime industry increased in size the quality shows did not increase in proportion. When Bebop came out it was one of only a few shows worth mentioning. It, Lain, 08th MS Team, and Pokemon/Yugioh just for how big they were. Now you have the same thing only instead of 3-4 decent shows out of 20-30 its 2-3 out of 70+ so it looks worse. Also the decent shows each season seem less worthy at times. I doubt anyone will be talking about Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill, or whatever the flavor of the month is like they do Bebop, Eva, and Trigun now almost 20 years later. Very little did those more highbrow artsy shows make money anyway and now that most studios go for easier to watch and digest shows the industry is doing better now than ever even if the market is quite stale.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here