8 More Criminally Underrated Games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

8 More Criminally Underrated Games

If you want to try out a game that stayed under the radar, these eight are excellent candidates.

Read Full Article

Warhammer 40K: Space Marine?

Did the gameplay change drastically from the demo of it I played? It was just a top-down shooter from what I saw with nothing special except for the 40k lore.

Folklore!

Man, I loved the hell out of it when I played a long while ago after I bought it on a whim since I wanted to play something when I first got my PS3.

Damn shame it never really got more attention.

Lightknight:

Did the gameplay change drastically from the demo of it I played? It was just a top-down shooter from what I saw with nothing special except for the 40k lore.

While it is a 3rd person hack and slash and shooter the situations are varied enough to not feel stale, the executions are satisfying, the voice acting is solid, the only downside to the game was that the only races are the imperium, orks, and chaos.

OT: Hard to believe Condemned didn't sell that well, that game was amazing. It did first person horror right and I do need to get around to finishing it.

Space Marine was fantastic. While it was just another bit of popcorn media, its grade A popcorn media. An absolute blast to play, rarely have I had as much raw, unfilered fun playing as videogame as I have in Space Marine.

Dat Neir love!

NEIR 2 HYPE!

"Criminally Underrated Games"

*1st game is Condemned: Criminal Origins*

I do indeed, see what you did there!

OT: WH40K is an...interesting choice.

It was fun for a few minutes, but then it began to feel really kind of boring. More like slicing through sheets of paper than enemies with actual meat on their bones.

Blur though, that is a pretty good game. Especially so if you can organise a LAN party.

Lightknight:

Are you thinking of 40k Kill Team? You might be. That's a top-down shooter with little but the lore to it. Space Marine was a stupidly fun 3rd person shooter with no cover mechanics or regenerating health(you have to get health back by chopping heads off!) and a good balance between shooting and melee.

Also to OP, what no Dante's Inferno? Or Toy Soldiers? Bioshock 2? Freaking Amnesia A Machine for pigs man!

Space Marine was awesome, the only bad part about it was that the orks didn't have much character, which was surprising considering how much they had in the dawn of war series. In Space Marine they were just kinda bland.

Ah now i have the blur blues, or blurry...blues? Bizzare Creations, have a moment's silence and a tip o' brew for that fine studio. Are they aware their old sweetums, geometry wars, has been mutated and whored out for the highest price now? Truly a tradegy. Condemned too. 2?

Must get around to trying saboteur and completing Neir.

No mention of anything from before 2005? Pity.

Would have been nice to see a mention of a personal favorite of mine: Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge.

Xan Krieger:
While it is a 3rd person hack and slash and shooter the situations are varied enough to not feel stale, the executions are satisfying, the voice acting is solid, the only downside to the game was that the only races are the imperium, orks, and chaos.

From what the game's creator has said, if THQ didn't fold, the trilogy was going to expand quite a bit. I think there was mention of Eldar.

Two of my hidden gems are Looney Tunes Space for Sega Dreamcast, and James Bond Everything or Nothing for the PS2/XBox Original. Lots of fun multiplayer in those games.

ffronw:
Viking: Battle for Asgard

Viking: Battle for Asgard drops you into the world of Midgard, where a fierce battle is taking place between the gods. As a young Viking warrior named Skarin, you are appointed as the champion of Freya to defend the future of mankind. The game features a very solid melee combat system, a great story, and a vast open world to explore, all developed by Total War creator Creative Assembly.

How on earth did this get on here? I can't speak for the console versions, but the PC version was panned, and quite rightfully so!

The voice acting is poor or worse, the animation is clunky and dated, the PC optimisation is so bad that armadillos could have done it better, and the responsiveness of your character is slow and laggy making combat (especially large combat) the-opposite-of-fun.

With the good points out of the way, we can talk about the controls... the PC port is a port that's so badly done that even the "bad ports club" won't accept this game, and point and laugh at it when it passes by in the street! The game comes with enforced "stealth" sessions, which will fail the mission and drop you back at the start to repeat over and over and over and over because the clunky animations and terrible controls make it virtually impossible not to screw up somehow. Combat is unfun and repetitive (which is bad for an "action" game, m'kay?) and there's no "sprint" or similar to get around, leaving you trudging from place to place like a particularly unenthusiastic day labourer. The majority of the mechanics are blatantly ripped from elsewhere, and stuffed in with no customisation or thought as to whether they fit or, indeed, belong in the game.

I'd heard rumours about this game, but it had VIKINGS in it, so I waited for a Steam sale and picked it up for like £2. This game could have managed mediocre, if it tried harder, but it didn't. I still regret spending those £2's, given how bad this game was. It's not "criminally underrated", it fully deserves the High-School Swirly rating it gets!

Holy cow, I thought I was the only person on the planet who played through "Viking: Battle for Asgard". Anyway, yeah, pretty decent game with a cool aesthetic, though it got sort of dull when you realized all the QTEs were exactly the same. Still, Zombie Viking Warriors are always fun to fight.

I'd nominate "X-Men Origins: Wolverine", mostly because it was about 1000x better than the movie it was tied to. Also "Arkham Origins". That game got a lot of hate but I honestly thought it was better than "Arkham Knight".

And final one: "Singularity". Yeah the time manipulation thing wasn't as cool as they made it seemed like it would be, and it was trying to be Bioshock, but damned if that wasn't a really good shooter with fun mechanics.

Condemned: Criminal Origins

It's hard to believe it only sold around 500,000 copies.

I don't believe it. looked around online, figures are hard to come by but not one of the estimates I found is anywhere near as low as half a million.

I would [still] say that Odama is underrated... I mean, who doesn't want to play a voice-command-based RTS in the style of a pinball game while the game, itself, takes place in feudal Japan? Then again, the game does need a sequel and more voice commands...

Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy was really damn fun and unfortunately didn't get the sequel it deserved.

Singularity - lots of fun. Multiplayer was crap, but otherwise it was cool.

Bioshock 2 - my introduction to the series; if I hadn't played this and liked it, I never would've gone anywhere near the others. 1 had the better technical story, but 2 had the better emotional punch.

Space Marine - YES. It was fun, I loved it.

Blur was pretty good, but then I never really did much with it online.

Might try Folklore, now that I've read more about it. Thanks! :)

Silentpony:

Lightknight:

Are you thinking of 40k Kill Team? You might be. That's a top-down shooter with little but the lore to it. Space Marine was a stupidly fun 3rd person shooter with no cover mechanics or regenerating health(you have to get health back by chopping heads off!) and a good balance between shooting and melee.

That's the conflict. Thanks!

Yeah, I was thinking about Kill Team.

Oh man, watching a video of Space Marine... looks so much better.

I've always loved the Fire Emblem series but don't often find anyone else that's even heard of it. I fell in love with it's gameplay since first picking up Sacred Stones and Binding Blade. I even bought a gamecube and wii just for their respected releases.

Fiz_The_Toaster:
Folklore!

Man, I loved the hell out of it when I played a long while ago after I bought it on a whim since I wanted to play something when I first got my PS3.

Damn shame it never really got more attention.

I am right there with you, dude. I freaking love Folklore. It is the first PS3 game I played as well, and I fell in love with the story and the art design. It being on this list made my day. It is one of my Top 10 favorite games. XD

Can't say I feel the love with much of the list, but I absolutely agree on Blur and Spacemarine. Loved both of those games and logged more than my fair share of hours playing each. Shame their online communities never really blossomed.

Lawyer105:

ffronw:
Viking: Battle for Asgard

Viking: Battle for Asgard drops you into the world of Midgard, where a fierce battle is taking place between the gods. As a young Viking warrior named Skarin, you are appointed as the champion of Freya to defend the future of mankind. The game features a very solid melee combat system, a great story, and a vast open world to explore, all developed by Total War creator Creative Assembly.

I've played the game on all three systems, PC, 360, and PS3. The PC version is the only unplayable one. The console versions have a slight lag on massive battles when armies charge in.

Other than that, you're correct. The combat is fun, but gets really repetitive, really fast. The game has a lot of flaws, but I was easily able to look past them and enjoy the game. Even its the worst stealth sections I've seen in video games.

I was only telling my military Padre, and massive gamer, about the Sabateur. As an Irishman he was keen to take on the role of Sean Devlin as he takes on the Nazi Hordes... Think Mercinaries meets Assassins Creed with a great art style! This game had me until I had collected anything.

The only issue I had with the game was that it was sometimes radomly cruel. I seem to remember that you could be seriously lucky or unlucky at times as you tried to evade Nazi capture with the eny AI. And sometimes you could play and complete a mission, shooting your way through all fine, when others you would just die. Repeatedly.

That sound when you shot down an airship though... :3 And the satisfaction when you walk through an area that has had the colour restored!

Hell... it's so deserved of this list that in the 24 comments before I started typing it wasn't mentioned by anyone either for or against... Therefore likely that no one had actually played it!

Apparently "underrated" now means "not really good, but kinda competent I guess."

mrdude2010:
Apparently "underrated" now means "not really good, but kinda competent I guess."

Underrated means didn't get the attention it deserved. It doesn't mean it has to be AAA, 10/10. It means it can be like Condemned... Flawed at times, but deserved more than it got!

I recently finished Nier, actually. Can't wait for the sequel, Nier was a fantastic experience.

Nier and Folklore both great choices.

Nier has a great (if heartbreaking) story and serviceable gameplay. Although it does switch it up once in a while. (then theres the fishing minigame that we'd all like to forget).

But Folklore is just one of those really unique experiences. I'd suggest to play at night with the lights off and really soak it in. But it's not just the atmosphere. Folklore also has a really cool character action meets pokemon combat system.

zombiejoe:
I recently finished Nier, actually. Can't wait for the sequel, Nier was a fantastic experience.

It holds up? Or is it difficult to play thanks to today's advanced graphics and interfaces?

Lightknight:

zombiejoe:

It holds up? Or is it difficult to play thanks to today's advanced graphics and interfaces?

Tbh, if you ask that question you'll probably be disapointed. I'd choose Nier over Uncharted 4 any day. But if you want to feel like you are playing a bleeding edge title, Nier aint it. It felt dated when it came out years ago. The character models are OK, the gameplay is serviceable to good, but the environments, cities dungeons etc are beyond bland. At the surface it mimicks a below average PS2 era action RPG.

The story however pretends to be over the top cheesy until it hits you with a twist that you kind of saw coming but that it rubs in your face until you feel something. And feel you will. Not many games achieve that. And that part cetainly "holds up".

joest01:

Lightknight:

zombiejoe:

Tbh, if you ask that question you'll probably be disapointed. I'd choose Nier over Uncharted 4 any day. But if you want to feel like you are playing a bleeding edge title, Nier aint it. It felt dated when it came out years ago. The character models are OK, the gameplay is serviceable to good, but the environments, cities dungeons etc are beyond bland. At the surface it mimicks a below average PS2 era action RPG.

The story however pretends to be over the top cheesy until it hits you with a twist that you kind of saw coming but that it rubs in your face until you feel something. And feel you will. Not many games achieve that. And that part cetainly "holds up".

Well, for example, Final Fantasy Tactics came out in 1997 and I can still play and LOVE the game without any qualifications or quips.

But Final Fantasy 7 came out the same year and is virtually unplayable now in my opinion. Shame because the wonder of the game and it's beautiful world was one of my fondest childhood memories.

Some games have just aged soooo poorly that they aren't fun anymore. Usually it's games that are centered around a technology that was new at the time or games that were shooting for realism when that just wasn't close. The 360/ps3 generation seems to have crossed a threshold where its games are still playable and enjoyable a decade after the fact even if their intention was realism.

Lightknight:

joest01:

Lightknight:

Well, for example, Final Fantasy Tactics came out in 1997 and I can still play and LOVE the game without any qualifications or quips.

But Final Fantasy 7 came out the same year and is virtually unplayable now in my opinion. Shame because the wonder of the game and it's beautiful world was one of my fondest childhood memories.

Some games have just aged soooo poorly that they aren't fun anymore. Usually it's games that are centered around a technology that was new at the time or games that were shooting for realism when that just wasn't close. The 360/ps3 generation seems to have crossed a threshold where its games are still playable and enjoyable a decade after the fact even if their intention was realism.

Well I would argue that FFT and FF7 are equally unplayable but we arent here to discuss that. I think I get your point. And yes, Nier can still be enjoyed the despite the advances since it came out. But it is still and arguably more than ever a very niche few who will. Enjoy it.

joest01:
Well I would argue that FFT and FF7 are equally unplayable but we arent here to discuss that. I think I get your point. And yes, Nier can still be enjoyed the despite the advances since it came out. But it is still and arguably more than ever a very niche few who will. Enjoy it.

I think the difference for me is that FFT took a more artistic route and FFVII focused more on polygon technology.

Out of these, I'd be interested in adding The Saboteur and Blur to my sizable backlog. I guess The Saboteur is on the console stores and Origin, which is not ideal. But Blur is apparently totally unavailable in a downloadable form. Funny, you'd think someone would deign to accept money for it.

As for my own suggestions, I'm thinking Test Drive Unlimited 2. But that's probably more of a sentimental choice, for personal reasons. Alpha Protocol already made one of these lists, I believe, but if it didn't, that one too.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here