Game Theory: The Mario Timeline's Shocking Reveal

The Mario Timeline's Shocking Reveal

Nintendo's star character Mario has been in over 70 games. 70 GAMES!!! Which leads to the question, does the Super Mario series have a discernible timeline? Or are Mario games, like many have been led to believe, a random assortment of games with no attention paid to continuity. While this may ultimately be true, there ARE details in the Super Mario games that allow them to be pieced into a timeline order...and the implications of that are SHOCKING!

Watch Video

That made a surprising amount of sense. Colour me impressed

I was waiting the whole time to see the paper mario games be mentioned but it never came up :(, but besides that, solid effort.

This whole video is nonsense... Also it's not a theory. It's not even hypothesis. It's is an assumption predicated upon real-world parameters. The same garbage logic you use for all your videos. Works of fiction, especially that of fantasy are not necessarily under the blanket of such boundaries.

This is what it's like to stare into the mouth of madness.

Siesta45:
This whole video is nonsense... Also it's not a theory. It's not even hypothesis. It's is an assumption predicated upon real-world parameters. The same garbage logic you use for all your videos. Works of fiction, especially that of fantasy are not necessarily under the blanket of such boundaries.

Honestly, we have nothing else to work with. We don't fully understand the rules that a lot of video-game settings work with. Of course, even settings of fantasy... Yes, even ones with a goddamn stork, have some foundation of reality. It has to. How are we going to relate with something completely alien? Even aliens themselves don't look all that different from us Edit: in a lot of fiction.[1]

If he can't work with real world constraints as a basic formula, what can he base this shit on?

[1] XCOM, Star-Trek, Star Flight... I'm talking about the 2 arms, 2 legs deal.

Siesta45:

It IS a theory. You might not agree with the methods used but it definitely is a theory.
Also, just because works of fiction are "not necessarily under the blanket of such boundaries" does not mean that those boundaries have no relevance or meaning to the fictional universe that is being analysed.
Third, the theorycrafting type that is used in this series is not necessarily completely scientific. It's more like a hybrid between conspiracy theory and scientific theory. That means there is a slightly different ontology at work here.
Lastly, don't be a spoilsport mate. I've read a few of your other comments on this site and you seem to have a bit of a negative way of saying things. My personal experience is that if you stop being so grouchy you can still criticize without actually getting angry :)

While I might not completely agree with the way you define the Timeline, I CAN provide an argument for 3D Land coming before World, due to the fact that Peach learns how to fight in 3dland.

Daymo:
I was waiting the whole time to see the paper mario games be mentioned but it never came up :(, but besides that, solid effort.

Yes- But the Paper Mario series takes place in another universe, you see, so it would conencide with the Mario series.

Dollabillyall:
It IS a theory.

You are immediately incorrect. That is not what a theory is.

Siesta45:

Dollabillyall:
It IS a theory.

theory
ˈθɪəri/
noun
noun: theory; plural noun: theories

a supposition or a system of ideas [arguments linking data and proposed result] intended to explain something [resulting timeline of mario games], especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained [the empirical data].

The video explains, on the basis of empirical data, how and why a timeline of mario games is a certain way according to the author. Like it or not, that is a theory of the middle range level of abstraction. You can disagree with the methods used and the inferences drawn from the data but fact remains that a theory of how a mario timeline can be constructed is put forward in the contents of this video.

If you wish to disagree substantially I would be curious as to what your definition of the concept of "theory" is and why you think the contents of this video don't match that definition.

Dollabillyall:

Siesta45:

Dollabillyall:
It IS a theory.

theory
ˈθɪəri/
noun

a supposition or a system of ideas [arguments linking data and proposed result] intended to explain something [resulting timeline of mario games], especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained [the empirical data].

The video explains, on the basis of empirical data, how and why a timeline of mario games is a certain way according to the author. Like it or not, that is a theory of the middle range level of abstraction. You can disagree with the methods used and the inferences drawn from the data but fact remains that a theory of how a mario timeline can be constructed is put forward in the contents of this video.

If you wish to disagree substantially I would be curious as to what your definition of the concept of "theory" is and why you think the contents of this video don't match that definition.

Uh huh, what is your theory predicated upon? What's your dependent and independent variable? What's your method? Where is the results?

Siesta45:

Dollabillyall:

Siesta45:

theory
ˈθɪəri/
noun

Uh huh, what is your theory predicated upon? What's your dependent and independent variable? What's your method? Where is the results?

The thing to be explained, the dependent variable, is the forming of the timeline of the mario games universe.
The things used to explain the dependent variable, the independent variables (there are many), are the contents of the mario games as well as some other known factors from outside the mario universe.
The method is basically just content analysis.
The result is the timeline as proposed by the video.
The theory is predicated on the assumption that one can infer a timeline from the content of the games and that the content of the games has at least nominal resemblence to the real world.

There you go. Now I invite you again to actually give a definition of "theory" and tell me why you think this video does not contain one. I would also like to state that you have assumed that all theories must be causal theories while there are numerous forms of theories, like counterfactual theories and derivation theories (the latter of wich is more applicable imho than the most rigid form of causal theory).

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.