8 Great PC Survival Games

8 Great PC Survival Games

If you're looking to try and survive in a hostile world. these eight games are right up your alley.

Read Full Article

Personally, I'd have cut State of Decay from the list and put S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl on instead.
Though, I never played the State of Decay story, just the free-roam DLC. Maybe the story is actually interesting and fun, rather than having to run back to base to stop a damn horde every three minutes.
Still, hard to imagine it being more fun than SoC.

I both like and dislike Survival Games.
As long as I'm not constantly stressed out by a hunger meter or some such timer it can be great.
Give me a world/areas to explore, loot to find, stuff to craft and some base building and I'm loving it.
Oh..optional online as well thanks. Single player is a must.

A few relevant games:

Katherine Kerensky:
Personally, I'd have cut State of Decay from the list and put S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl on instead.
Though, I never played the State of Decay story, just the free-roam DLC. Maybe the story is actually interesting and fun, rather than having to run back to base to stop a damn horde every three minutes.
Still, hard to imagine it being more fun than SoC.

I have to agree with this, though I'd personally go for Call of Pripyat over Shadow of Chernobyl. CoP has caught me in more survival-type situations so far then SoC did.

Your missing the best Zombie Survial game, " 7 Days to Die". Its a hundred times better then State of Decay or DayZnore.

I don't feel like any of those games are really "Survival games", because survival isn't the win condition in any of them. You don't lose when you die in any of them, you just respawn or reload. I think they would be better described as "Sandbox games with a petty obsession with bodily functions."

theSovietConnection:
-Snip-
I have to agree with this, though I'd personally go for Call of Pripyat over Shadow of Chernobyl. CoP has caught me in more survival-type situations so far then SoC did.

Hmmm... true, it did seem a bit more survival-y... and it had the better gameplay of those two... but I always preferred the atmosphere of SoC. Not sure why. Maybe it was the character and story, since you're not playing as some government guy.
Though, the Pripyat map was pretty good... ah, dammit, they were both great games. I'm sure they could share a slot >.>

No Metro or S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

A bit disappointed. Those are PC juggernauts effectively, and both use survival as a mechanic very well from beyond just "you need to eat to not die from not eating".

Getting caught out short on ammo in Metro is positively terrifying. At that point, it truly is just about survival.

State of Decay instead of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?, I am dissapoint.

A buggy ArmA 2 mod and one of its trendy clones, but no Metro or STALKER? Even on hardcore mode, I've never been in a situation where I lacked 300% more food/drink items than I needed, so I don't even think I'd qualify New Vegas as survival.

Zak757:
A buggy ArmA 2 mod and one of its trendy clones, but no Metro or STALKER? Even on hardcore mode, I've never been in a situation where I lacked 300% more food/drink items than I needed, so I don't even think I'd qualify New Vegas as survival.

For me, survival-focused games have to be open world-ish to an extent. I can't think of Metro having an open world whatsoever. Well, but I only played like 5 hours of 2033 and its redux counterpart.

Which runs better, what is mindblowing to me.

edit: But yes, DayZ could be a good survival game, but it's neither nearly finished, has a good amount of content, runs smoothly, nor is it free from hackers in any way whatsoever as far as loud, angry users let me suggest. And these users seem to have a huge amount of backup behind them.

What I mean, is, that it seems to be so broken that I'd exclude it from the list, as well as H1Z1.

I am gonna second a vote for Call of Pripyat of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series as well.

Katherine Kerensky:

theSovietConnection:
-Snip-

Hmmm... true, it did seem a bit more survival-y... and it had the better gameplay of those two... but I always preferred the atmosphere of SoC. Not sure why. Maybe it was the character and story, since you're not playing as some government guy.
Though, the Pripyat map was pretty good... ah, dammit, they were both great games. I'm sure they could share a slot >.>

I personally think it was because we were all most likely introduced to the Zone and it's concepts through Shadow, so it has a special place in our hearts. Heck, even Clear Sky has it's moments.

No STALKER?

What... the hell...
The list is invalid :P

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook