5 Ways Halo Wars 2 Must Improve to Survive

5 Ways Halo Wars 2 Must Improve to Survive

While many Halo fans touted Halo Wars for bringing the RTS genre to the Halo universe, the game wasn't without its problems.

Read Full Article

Number Threes suggestion for fixing the unit selection won't work for a game like this. I played Endgame, it was fun, but with Halo wars, you'll soon be saying "Marine Squad 56, go to, Map Mid." And add in possible voice command screw up and people will just revert back to how they originally did it in the game. There are too many units on the battle field, and you can't easily target hostiles who can just go to fog of war to make you accidentally target a different unit.

Much more reliably, you can have a radial menu with all your currently selected units, By hitting the bumpers you can select a unit and then hitting the bumpers some more to choose how many units to select at once. This can also solve your number 4 issue of overkill, by doing this very rapidly.

um just want to point out that I won almost all my games by just using ODSTs with the rocket upgrade.........tanks be very screwed.

ecoho:
um just want to point out that I won almost all my games by just using ODSTs with the rocket upgrade.........tanks be very screwed.

Really? Cause I found that the Tanks would slice those troops to pieces with the canister shell. The troops might be able to take out a few of my tanks before that happens but the canister shell rips them apart.

OT: I fully agree (especially with the balancing part). I don't know how many times all a covenant guy would do is upgrade the prophet/arbiter/monkey guy and just bum rush the bases with them. Stupid easy to get a quick kill that way since it took at least a dozen troops to take their main guy out.

Along with that, I always did the tank spam thing as well because there was virtually no need to build anything else; tanks just murdered everything. I'd go tanks and my buddy would go air to keep their air guys off my tanks and it was all over.

Some RTS's like the older Dawn of War series (and I'm sure several others) had Unit Caps for some of the more powerful stuff in the game. That may help solve the problem of tank spamming, and encourage them to fill out their forces with a wider selection of available units. Unique stuff would have a Unit Cap of 1, obviously. But something like the Scorpion might have a Unit Cap of 5 or so. Some things are valuable and no-so-plentiful resources that armies can call upon. It may make players think about where they would be best committed.

Of course that can lead to frustration, putting limits on the amount of cool units in the game is rarely the most popular of moves. Going back to the aforementioned Dawn of War, I played most often as the Imperial Guard (my army on the tabletop) and was dismayed that I could only field two Leman Russ tanks. They also took up a massive amount of the Vehicle Population Cap (5 each, where 20 was often the max. 2 Leman Russ tanks took up half your vehicle allowance) and took so many resources to even access. You had to upgrade the base, requiring the construction of buildings to enable this, build a Mechanised Command, upgrade to Regimental Command (very expensive), then research Full Scale War (really expensive), then finally install a Leman Russ depot. For a unit so iconic to the particular army, it wasn't half a slog to get them on the field.

Halo Wars 2 should be great, and I'd really like them to create a more tactical game. No tank spamming and no easy rushes would be top of my list. I hate rushing in RTS games, so much of the potential in the game goes to waste if there's rushing. So many of the units and so much of the map, and all the tactical possibilities that come from that, get thrown by the wayside because some armies can muster enough cheap but damaging units so early in the game as to destroy an opposition base and wipe them off the map.

I like the idea Timedraven 117 suggested above of using a radial menu and bumpers to select unit types and specify the amount you want to select. Dragging a radius over units is tiresome already, the ability to pluck out certain quantities of certain units and order them around without doing all that stuff would be much more convenient.

The Harkinator:
Some RTS's like the older Dawn of War series (and I'm sure several others) had Unit Caps for some of the more powerful stuff in the game. That may help solve the problem of tank spamming, and encourage them to fill out their forces with a wider selection of available units. Unique stuff would have a Unit Cap of 1, obviously. But something like the Scorpion might have a Unit Cap of 5 or so. Some things are valuable and no-so-plentiful resources that armies can call upon. It may make players think about where they would be best committed.

Of course that can lead to frustration, putting limits on the amount of cool units in the game is rarely the most popular of moves. Going back to the aforementioned Dawn of War, I played most often as the Imperial Guard (my army on the tabletop) and was dismayed that I could only field two Leman Russ tanks. They also took up a massive amount of the Vehicle Population Cap (5 each, where 20 was often the max. 2 Leman Russ tanks took up half your vehicle allowance) and took so many resources to even access. You had to upgrade the base, requiring the construction of buildings to enable this, build a Mechanised Command, upgrade to Regimental Command (very expensive), then research Full Scale War (really expensive), then finally install a Leman Russ depot. For a unit so iconic to the particular army, it wasn't half a slog to get them on the field.

Halo Wars 2 should be great, and I'd really like them to create a more tactical game. No tank spamming and no easy rushes would be top of my list. I hate rushing in RTS games, so much of the potential in the game goes to waste if there's rushing. So many of the units and so much of the map, and all the tactical possibilities that come from that, get thrown by the wayside because some armies can muster enough cheap but damaging units so early in the game as to destroy an opposition base and wipe them off the map.

I like the idea Timedraven 117 suggested above of using a radial menu and bumpers to select unit types and specify the amount you want to select. Dragging a radius over units is tiresome already, the ability to pluck out certain quantities of certain units and order them around without doing all that stuff would be much more convenient.

I completely disagree with your assessment on rushing. Rushing exists adds the much needed depth of do you be greedy or do you prepare for the chance of a rush. It adds early game scouting which is pretty damn important aspect in an RTS which otherwise isn't needed while creating an interesting dynamic.

Throwing that to the side just kills a whole aspect of the game and while you may not enjoy it given you're a Timmy at a high level in any RTS game the whole aspect of rush or not rush is vital for making it an interesting game.

ecoho:

tippy2k2:

Really? Cause I found that the Tanks would slice those troops to pieces with the canister shell. The troops might be able to take out a few of my tanks before that happens but the canister shell rips them apart.

DanielPrice:
snip

Psh, screw the Scorpions. The single most powerful unit in the game was undoubtedly the Hawk. Since you would be playing as Anders, it was quick and relatively cheap to upgrade your Hornets, and by the time you had Hawks, you could churn out loads of them for 250 resources a pop. A decently sized squad of Hawks would make mince-meat of anything and everything. Even Scarabs would melt under the onslaught.

That said, the most common tactic I saw in pub matches was the "rail-gun Warthog rush". Just pick Anders, build an early Reactor, grab a second base, spam Warthogs, and win. It was disgustingly effective, especially if the opposing player was UNSC and tried doing tank-spam or if the opposing player was Covenant and tried doing a Leader rush.

As for the article, I agree on some points, but feel some others are either unnecessary or unwarranted. Overall, though, I do agree the sequel could improve on many facets of the first. I have my own thoughts on certain ways the game could be improved, but I honestly just don't feel like typing out a long-winded post, especially considering almost no one will read it anyway.

Also, a small correction:
"The 'sniper towers' is the only option available during multiplayer."

There were other options available in some of the multiplayer maps, including crashed Warthogs.

The Harkinator:

Someone else has already taken care of the rushing bit. I'll tackle the hardcaps.

I'll have to disagree on the unit hardcaps. Few games do it properly because they're more concerned with external balance than internal. Russes were borderline redundant by the time you can build them and the baneblade's right around the corner. Spam will never go away, it just changes shape. Limited units are rarely strong enough to balance out the fact they're huge investments. Even terminators dropped like flies against multilasers.

Now, if you make a limited unit available early in the game I could see it working. If you put a russ at tier 2 instead of 3 and reduced the pop cap to 4 I could see making it limited work. Scorpions aren't the best example, but if you made it cheaper than it should be and make it available at roughly the same time as Warthogs I could see a hardcap of 5 work. It's a good tradeoff for that much firepower because the Scorpion isn't remotely the best unit you can field, your economy likely can't even get two out yet, and it'll be overshadowed as the game progresses. It's just an early-to-mid game advantage.

I'll agree Legendary and Command units should be hardcapped for fluff and balance reasons. Your Land Raiders, Baneblades, etc. all had in and out of universe reasons to be hardcapped to 1. And more importantly they were powerful enough to be worth it. Scarabs, Hrunting Mk IIs, Mammoths, and the Prototype are definitely rare and powerful enough to be hardcapped.

tippy2k2:

ecoho:

OT: I fully agree (especially with the balancing part). I don't know how many times all a covenant guy would do is upgrade the prophet/arbiter/monkey guy and just bum rush the bases with them. Stupid easy to get a quick kill that way since it took at least a dozen troops to take their main guy out.

Along with that, I always did the tank spam thing as well because there was virtually no need to build anything else; tanks just murdered everything. I'd go tanks and my buddy would go air to keep their air guys off my tanks and it was all over.

lol in cases like that id just go around the tanks sure id lose a few units but in the time it would take your tanks to turn around id be at your base and ripping it to shreds:) then again the last time I played was 3 months after launch ive herd they nerfed and buffed a lot of things after that so please bare that in mind.

Did... did you just advocate voice commands? >.>

Really, I think the only thing HW2 needs to do to sell well is be a Halo product that is playable. But to improve gameplay? I think balance was the only glaring issue. Everything else is a console limitation or simply the nature of the beast.

How to improve:
Don't limit it to Windows 10. Probably not bothering with it if they do that.
Cross-play pls pls pls I wanna hear the rage.

Sorry to do this, but now I'm going to tell you why most of the things you said were wrong. Again, sorry.

1. The Grizzly (max rank scorpion) was the best in the game. This is true. It was also costly trying to get it to the Grizzly upgrade then mass produce them, and this never happened until late game unless the enemy put zero pressure on them. They were balanced in that they took the longest to get.

And even then they were still counter-able, both in direct confrontations and other tactics. The Brute's, Prophet's, Chick's, and Tank dude's leader abilities all fucked up tanks. And even the ODST could beat them if used strategically. Arby had some troubles though, but if used right, they'd all miss most of their shots on you (not the mg though, you aint god).

Locusts at max range and Banshees worked too. Mix in some hunters and you're good. Of and the Locust's overdrive attack melted the bastards.

Sorry for ranting, I'll finish now

TL;DR: Tanks were balanced, they were just the best brute force unit. Moderate skill could take em out, but you shouldn't be allowing them to get that far in the first place. Making them more "balanced" would make the game stagnant. Perfect imbalance is what you need to make a game good.

2. Gonna be hard to get overly tactical when the game is built around a controller. I am for it though if they can.

Warthogs could jump broken bridges to otherwise inaccessible spots, and I think there were certain teleporters that only took infantry. Not what you're looking for but the base is there.

3. Please no voice commands. That's only going to cause trouble and imbalance on a technical level. I mean, PC won't suffer it, but consoles will when it only works for certain accents and languages.

4. I agree with you here mostly. I know Wargame has something similar where it computes damage and whether a tank shell is going to hit before firing. If they can figure it out, then good on em.

Or! Make it so if you hit special attack once, only the nearest off CD will do it. And then more and more as you press the button more.

5. That might be a bit beyond the scope of a console RTS. Not saying it's bad, just that it probably won't happen.

Hope I didn't come off as a dick, I really did not mean to if I did, I just love talking about game mechanics.

You sound like you would enjoy the "Men of War" series of games. I perosnally think it's gone downhill since they balance-murdered the first "Assault Squad" version of the game, but the original Men of War has a kick-ass campaign and runs on most PCs.

I would say the main things this game needs is to have a good PC version along with mod support. Even if it comes out a huge mess at launch such as some of the total war titles many of the fans will likely take it upon the selves to make their own changes and fixes.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here