Game Theory: Red vs Blue, The Secret Color Strategy

Red vs Blue, The Secret Color Strategy

Red vs Blue. It's the two default colors to differentiate opposing teams in most games, both video games and in real-world sports. But in balanced games, what if the choice between red and blue made a difference? What if choosing either red or blue would give you a strategic advantage, putting you in a position to win right from the moment you press START? Well, the secret is this: COLOR MATTERS. Which color is stronger, red or blue ?Watch and choose wisely!

Watch Video

LoL is asymmetrical. Buffs are reversed as well as boss spawns which are not center field.

As for the other stuff? It's basic deviation. You're saying it's unheard of for a 5% deviation in a 50/50 coin toss. Which obviously, it's not. Get a perfectly weighted coin and flip it 100 times it has a pretty high chance of landing on one side 55-60% of the time. And that is NOT a statistical anomaly. Player skill can't be measured as "even" which goes further to lean to the metrics. This whole video is bogus but then again it's game theory, what do you expect?

Siesta45:
As for the other stuff? It's basic deviation. You're saying it's unheard of for a 5% deviation in a 50/50 coin toss. Which obviously, it's not. Get a perfectly weighted coin and flip it 100 times it has a pretty high chance of landing on one side 55-60% of the time. And that is NOT a statistical anomaly. Player skill can't be measured as "even" which goes further to lean to the metrics. This whole video is bogus but then again it's game theory, what do you expect?

I took statistics in college, and from what I remember, in any sample size over 1000, a difference over 3% or so is considered statistically significant.

What's interesting, and which I wish they had touched on, is that Valve published a bunch of TF2 stats early on in the game's lifespan, and the breakdown favored BLU on all but two of the maps, including all of the symmetrical ones. Sadly, the actual link doesn't work anymore, and I don't know if the data they collect on matches is still available anywhere because, man, I'd love to see if anything has changed in the nearly eight years since then.

In 'MOBAs', killing creeps in the jungle is the long-term strategy, not pushing towers for a tactical advantage. Jungling is for accruing power more quickly, since get income from the jungle in addition to the lanes, at the cost of having one less hero in the lanes. It makes you more powerful in the mid and late game, unless the power differential from missing a hero causes you to lose lanes.

Also, I'd like to point out that the term 'MOBA' is retarded and not descriptive at all. When I say Multiplayer Online Battle Arena game, what game am I referring to? Clearly, it's Counter-Strike. Or it could be StarCraft. Or Guild Wars PvP.

Denamic:
In 'MOBAs', killing creeps in the jungle is the long-term strategy, not pushing towers for a tactical advantage. Jungling is for accruing power more quickly, since get income from the jungle in addition to the lanes, at the cost of having one less hero in the lanes. It makes you more powerful in the mid and late game, unless the power differential from missing a hero causes you to lose lanes.

Also, I'd like to point out that the term 'MOBA' is retarded and not descriptive at all. When I say Multiplayer Online Battle Arena game, what game am I referring to? Clearly, it's Counter-Strike. Or it could be StarCraft. Or Guild Wars PvP.

There is a big difference between the Mobas though. The jungle in LoL, Dota and HotS work completly diffrent are not even slightly the same.
Right now in League it's quite complicated. Generally speakin' turrets are always more immediate power than goin' for Dragon. That switches when Baron spawns and everything is highly dependant on both line ups on top of that.
So the correct choice in game one, is the wrong one in game two.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here